Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,209 members, 7,818,706 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:24 PM

10 Minutes With Hr - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 10 Minutes With Hr (1735 Views)

FREE Cover Letter Template. Create A Winning Cover Letter In 10 Minutes / 5 Job Secrets Hr’s Don’t Want You To Know / Build Standard Cvs In 8 Templates Under 10 Minutes. (must Read, Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Minutes With Hr by johnchins: 10:20pm On Apr 18, 2016
10 MINUTES WITH HR

PART 1

After graduation from the university, NYSC was memorable. It’s being two years of job hunting. For me, any news carrying a job opening or vacancy is a hot cake. NYSC allawee have being far spent. I have already taken up so many menial jobs just to make sure my soul is still glued to my body.

On this faithful Saturday, I was returning home from sports. Wow! The newspaper stand seems crowded with people. Perhaps I could catch a glimpse of the dailies. Who knows, Buhari might have declared vacancy for the post of a soothsayer, who will foresee the country he might visit next. I quickly checked the business news; a new Chinese firm was hiring. Interview was to be conducted in a couple of days. I quickly got the details and make straight home to get myself prepared.

I checked my suit. This was the suit I used for my project defense back then in the university. The look wasn’t encouraging anymore, but I gats manage. I reached for my shoes, crossed examined it, the soles were already eaten up in the process of job hunting. You gats understand; trekking is free. Even at that, HR wasn’t helping matters. Those guys got no chill. I made sure I reviewed all I needed to face these guys. This is the last one. I was determined.

After my preparations, I said to myself on the mirror; “this will certainly go down as the best interview I has ever had. I must get that job!”
On the D-day, the applicants wasn’t so much in number. This is my chance I quickly presumed. I looked around and I noticed my appearance was so different from other applicants. Everything on me seems old. Well, HR might just pity me and give me the job; I quickly consoled myself.

Soon, the interview started. I was a bit nervous. Cheer up man, cheer up! I must get this job; I reassured myself. While I was still on my thoughts, a beautiful, charming young lady signaled at me. It was my turn; I sat down just opposite the Chinese guy. The interview started.

I could barely understand the English he was speaking. Can’t really tell if the speech was coming from his mouth or nostril; I just had to listen with the all of me. Can we meet you please? …. In a simple sentence, please describe yourself. ….

After some series of friendly questions, I was already feeling like a boss, before his next question came in. Considering the current rise in Nigeria’s exchange rate, the dwindling Nigeria’s economy and the current rise of inflation by 12.8%, what is your advice to the Nigerian government on how best to address this issue? As though I didn’t get him well, I beckoned on him to please rephrase the question. I quickly used that space of time to gather some momentum. I could hardly articulate. Does this guy really know I studied Engineering? What has Engineering got to do with economics? I managed to mumble a few words. Soon, I ran out of ideas. He just said, fine.

Lastly, he asked for my Facebook username then he quickly proceeded to searched through my profile. Oh! You have just 231 friends; he said. He then picked the first ten friends on my friends list and asked me to describe at least five of them, stating what I knew about them.

At this time, the temperature of my seat suddenly changed. I could barely describe three correctly. Soon he was running out of patience. He closed my file, shifted it to the next table and murmured the usual word. A wonderful time with you, Mr. Joe, we will get back to you.

It was done and dusted. I knew it’s exactly the same old tales. I was heavily depressed and so disappointed in myself.

My condition was likened to a student who rushed to the notice board to check a result on the course which he had written well with strong confidence of having an “A”. On reaching the notice board the reverse was the case; it was a red “F”. He took his pen and traced down his registration number down to the grade. He dashed out to the nearest kiosk to get a cold bottled-water to water down his system. “Probably it might be hallucination”; he mused, dashed back to the notice board, behold the “F” was the “F”.

My mind wondered on the two last questions he asked me. I came to realize that he was testing my knowledge of the business environment. Engineering doesn’t exist in a vacuum. Its System of Interest (SoI) must be within an environment; and that is business. The Facebook question was just a test of my networking skills. I could hardly believe that such things could rob me of a golden opportunity. With a fresh change in mindset, I gats study wide; I told myself.

Wondering thoughts! Little did I know when I trekked pass my bus stop.

PART 2 IN A MOMENT!

10 MINUTES WITH HR

PART 2

After the Chinese firm experience, I really had to work hard on myself. No business news passed me by. I had to make up for my previous loss. Within a few days, a job opening came on the news; an indigenous oil firm was hiring. I quickly went through the requirements; I was fit for the job. The thoughts of past failures almost discouraged me. I remembered a book I once studied, written by Napoleon Hill; there, he talked about the miracle of trying one more time. I reluctantly applied.

Luckily, I received an invitation for an interview. The HR again; I thought. On that faithful day, I dressed up on my usual attire. Nothing has changed yet. I arrived just in time at the venue for the interview. It was a large hall, the atmosphere just likes the previous; only a difference in skin colour of the HR crew.

While patiently waiting for my turn, a young, tall, brilliant looking guy, walked past me. Is that not John? I presumed. He walked straight to the crew, and started talking to them. Judging with the manner in which he gives instructions to them, he seems to be the manager. That’s not John; I thought within myself.

John was my classmates back then in the university. He hardly does his assignments himself, always looking for where to copy in the early hours of the day of submission. I remembered putting-him-through in some of the challenging courses. I knew he graduated with a rickety looking CGPA. Taaa! That’s not John; I reaffirm.

While I was still waiting, he kept looking at me occasionally. I could barely point out the reason for the stern look in his face. Oh no! It’s my shoe. I stylishly withdraw my leg under my seat. As for my suit, maybe I could just go under the chair.
The next time I looked at him, I noticed him withdrawing his hand from my direction.

I also noticed the young lady close to him separating a file from other files. What again, I thought within myself. Seconds later, the young man walked out through another door. I sat down there for hours; I wasn’t called upon. The hall was almost empty; maybe my file has being misplaced. I was really getting tensed.

For what felt like hours, the young lady finally called me up. While I walked up to her, I believe she noticed the frustrated look on my face. I softly sat down like a padded cat. She handed a letter to me, it was an employment letter. Is it for me? I asked. Yes, she replied.

This is a hallucination; I thought. I looked back at the seat I previously sat on, perhaps the real me might still be there.

I couldn’t believe my eyes. When I asked for an explanation of the magic behind the automatic employment, she explained to me that John is the manager and CEO of the firm who took over from his aging father. You are so lucky, he was already off to an executive meeting, but forgot an important document in his office, she stated. This is God, I said to myself.

Wow! It was like a cinema show to me. I quickly padded my employment letter deep down my suit pocket. As long as life is concerned, that’s the most important thing to me now. I promptly thanked her and left.

While on my way home, I was walking in high spirit, probably on ghost mode. I could hardly feel my feet on the ground. My joy was so full. I quickly waved a cab; I couldn’t recall that I previously used the last 150 naira in my wallet for snacks while the HR crew was taking too much time.

In moments, I arrived at my bus stop. I scanned through my wallet. Oh my shit…. I started speaking the English I couldn’t speak with that Chinese guy.

Take the lessons Home!

#chinsWRIT

7 Likes

Re: 10 Minutes With Hr by Nobody: 10:54pm On Apr 18, 2016
Small world, no one knows tomorrow. what if you were bad to him ?
Re: 10 Minutes With Hr by Nobody: 11:00pm On Apr 18, 2016
I enjoyed it..........

N it kinnda had a moral lesson too... cool
Re: 10 Minutes With Hr by Nobody: 11:04pm On Apr 18, 2016
Loved it! Nice One
Re: 10 Minutes With Hr by akonibobo: 11:14pm On Apr 18, 2016
Leave this story in the literature section. Nice story though.

Nobody wey no fit to make am in patoranki's voice

2 Likes

Re: 10 Minutes With Hr by KillerBeauty(f): 7:44am On Apr 19, 2016
Some people forget people help them
Some people nor send people help them
But remember the people wey help you
Cos if u fall na them go still rise you

1 Like

Re: 10 Minutes With Hr by Nobody: 11:02am On Apr 19, 2016
It would be nice if fictitious stories are clearly labeled as so.
Re: 10 Minutes With Hr by pateffy: 1:10pm On Apr 19, 2016
What a wonderful story you sure made me smile
Re: 10 Minutes With Hr by ayokunle032(m): 1:31pm On Apr 19, 2016
GOD IS G00D
Re: 10 Minutes With Hr by laprince(m): 1:36pm On Apr 19, 2016
You surely had a great day.
Re: 10 Minutes With Hr by omse: 2:25pm On Apr 19, 2016
Your story gave me hope......
Re: 10 Minutes With Hr by brownemmanuel43(m): 2:57pm On Apr 19, 2016
ur story deserve 4 bottles on my mind. Its inspiring, it restores hope
Re: 10 Minutes With Hr by Lolaabokoku(f): 3:43pm On Apr 19, 2016
2 gbosas 4u.. Lalasticlala abeg come read this
Re: 10 Minutes With Hr by Mustay(m): 4:13pm On Apr 19, 2016
johnchins:
10 MINUTES WITH HR

I checked my suit. This was the suit I used for my project defense back then in the university. The look wasn’t encouraging anymore, but I gats manage. I reached for my shoes, crossed examined it, the soles were already eaten up in the process of job hunting. You gats understand; trekking is free. Even at that, HR wasn’t helping matters. Those guys got no chill. I made sure I reviewed all I needed to face these guys. This is the last one. I was determined.

After my preparations, I said to myself on the mirror; “this will certainly go down as the best interview I has ever had. I must get that job!”
On the D-day, the applicants wasn’t so much in number. This is my chance I quickly presumed. I looked around and I noticed my appearance was so different from other applicants. Everything on me seems old. Well, HR might just pity me and give me the job; I quickly consoled myself.

Soon, the interview started. I was a bit nervous. Cheer up man, cheer up! I must get this job; I reassured myself. While I was still on my thoughts, a beautiful, charming young lady signaled at me. It was my turn; I sat down just opposite the Chinese guy. The interview started.

The emboldened reminds me about an interview Yaw had where he revealed that when he attended Wazobia FM's interview, every other person but him was dressed in formal suits. At the end, his dressing and other 'packaging' made him 'outstanding'.

Sometimes, rules are meant to be broken. Sometimes though!

On the engineer vis-à-vis business environment, I am glad you picked up something from it. We have bad experiences in other to tell good stories - bad experiences are not always indictments on your person but learning points. It is necessary to have at least, an idea of what is happening around you. Don't just limit yourself to your core area of expertise - one can't be a jack of all trades but one can try to be knowledgeable. In fact, in some instances, it is the other areas that are not core that will strike a 'synergy' between you and the interviewer thereby making a formal interview more like a chat!

Lastly, life is a school. We may graduate at the same time but not 'play out' at the same time. So, for even the high school students who dey form senior, tomorrow, that junior of yours may be a useful resource tomorrow. Maintain good relationships with friends and associates.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Abllat Is Recruiting Massively / Matters Arising From The Fed Civil Service Recruitment Result / Is 25k Teaching Job Good For A Graduate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.