Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,799 members, 7,851,690 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 05:39 AM

Grazing Bill: Why We Have Refused To Evolve As A Nation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Grazing Bill: Why We Have Refused To Evolve As A Nation (576 Views)

Why Osinbajo Refused To Sign 4 Bills From National Assembly / For Two Years The Pigeons have refused To Fly(pictures) / Grazing Bill: Anambra Assembly Backs Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Grazing Bill: Why We Have Refused To Evolve As A Nation by christopher123(m): 1:58pm On Apr 19, 2016
NIGERIA MUST EVOLVE, NIGERIA MUST ADVANCE

In today’s modern world with ICT everywhere some monkeys are still talking NOMADIC AGRICULTURE. How can we be talking about grazing rights today? How can we be talking about giving people that has been notoriously known to kill,maim, destroy and incinerate villages in name of cattle rearing? How can we be talking about giving pyromaniacs and islamist that masquerade as nomads to graze.
I will not be politically correct, I am against this, I am Igbo and I will not cede any of my ancestral land for this. Yes, I am saying my mind. If this means me not eating beef or SUYA so be it.

Education is important, man stopped pastoralism and nomadic lifestyle centuries or millennia ago, how can we be stuck with people that have refused to evolve? How can we be stuck with people that their evolutionary trend stopped from Homo Erectus to Homo Habilis? They have not evolved to Homo Sapiens and Sapience-Sapience. Let us looked at this critically... are we progressing as a country. In other sane climes there are ranches, they should go to Texas, Nevada and other southern states and learn how these cowboys tend to their cattle. If USA is far then they should go to Europe and head to Amsterdam. They should forget the religious differences and study the modern ways of rearing cattle. This madness must stop.

We cannot be robbing peter to pay Paul( apologies to Square)
I will give them a crash course on Modern Cattle Rearing 101

To buy cow for farming purpose you should keep in mind some essential thing . For example, for rearing purpose the suitable age of bull is between 12-15 month.

 The skin of the bull must have to be lose and thin.
 The cow which is low weight due to insufficient food can be buy in low price.
 It should keep in mind that the pregnant cow should not provide hay mixed with nitrogen.
 Selected bull have to make perfect by some treatment before giving nitrogen mixed hay. If the bull has any wound place it have to clean with savlon or detol so that no insects can harm the cow.
 Treatment should give until properly cure.
 After curing you have to ensure that there are no insects like lice, mosquito etc.
 The bull should washed out with water mixed with 2.5 tea spoon of nu sidle per 10 kg.

We can learn, we should not borther invent...Just copy and paste

1 Like

Re: Grazing Bill: Why We Have Refused To Evolve As A Nation by christopher123(m): 2:02pm On Apr 19, 2016
In the ‘60s, the average Dutch dairy cow produced 4000 kg milk per year. In 2001, this was about 8500 kg. The average yearly increase of about 100 kg milk per cow was possible due to very successful technology development, enhanced by effective research-extension-farmer interaction, access to credit, and a conducive policy environment. Artificial Insemination and effective breeding policies increased the potential milk yield of dairy animals to levels that our grandfathers did not even dream of.

Other important innovations were: the shift from rope-tied to free-roaming stables with sleeping cubicles and a much better ventilation system; disease control through effective vaccination; very high fertiliser application levels which boosted grass yields; mechanisation of fodder production; improved fodder conservation techniques and the introduction of fodder maize. The availability of ample high quality roughage, supplemented with high levels of protein-rich concentrates, made it possible to fully exploit the improved genetic potential of the dairy cows. But also, the low prices of these high quality fertilisers and concentrates were essential in achieving high milk production.

Increasing environmental problems

The recommended fertiliser application for pastures has gone up to 400 kg nitrogen (N) /ha. Presently, annual grass production on pasture land is 10-12,000 kg dry matter/ha. in 5-6 cuts. The low price and high status of mineral fertilisers made cow manure lose its importance and was used only as an extra, over and above the recommended fertiliser application. Until recently, the nitrogen present in manure was not even considered in calculations.

Figure 1: Nitrogen efficiency of Drenthe project farmers expressed in kg N/ha/year [ideal]
These high fertiliser applications increasingly led to serious environmental problems: leaching of nitrates from the topsoil to the groundwater negatively affecting the quality of the drinking water and high levels of ammonia emission from the cows negatively affecting the quality of nature in the surroundings of the farm. In the ‘80s, the Ministry of Agriculture had to introduce a series of ‘restrictive’ measures for dairy farmers to meet the environmental targets set by the European Union. Broadcasting manure on pasture land was banned and instead it was made compulsory to inject the manure as slurry into the soil during the growing season.

In the early ‘90s, a mineral bookkeeping system for dairy farmers was introduced and was tested as a voluntary management tool. Through simple accounting of mineral input and output at farm gate level, nutrient losses within the farming system were made evident. Ideally, inputs (concentrates and fertilisers) balance with the outputs (milk and meat) in terms of nutrients.

However, losses of nitrogen occur in the cow and in the soil. This bookkeeping revealed that losses of N/ha in the conventional dairy system had become very high and hence N efficiency very low (<18% at cow level and <30% at soil level).
Re: Grazing Bill: Why We Have Refused To Evolve As A Nation by ki02020(m): 2:50pm On Apr 19, 2016
I do not support and will not support the bill

What happen to billions of naira spent on the lake chad basin project which was meant to mitigate the desertification of those areas

Dose it also mean that if the whole north turns desert the whole northern people will move down south with the excuse of desert encroachment of their area

(1) (Reply)

OSUN APC Ask For Fresh FG Salary Bail Out / Labour leaders in Osun State have asked Governor Rauf Aregbesola a question / License Herdsmen Not Preachers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.