Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,217 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:25 AM

A Nairalander's Experiences On The Train From Port-Harcourt To Kano In Pictures - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Nairalander's Experiences On The Train From Port-Harcourt To Kano In Pictures (42687 Views)

"Smoke Covers Aero Flight From Port-Harcourt To Lagos"- Female Twitter User Says / Amaechi Travels By Train From Abuja To Kaduna International Airport (Photos) / A Nairalander On A First Class Train From Lagos To Minna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nairalander's Experiences On The Train From Port-Harcourt To Kano In Pictures by believesama(m): 3:37pm On Mar 26, 2017
But I'm not sure it's worth it, just take normal vehicle.
Re: A Nairalander's Experiences On The Train From Port-Harcourt To Kano In Pictures by rinzaugustine: 5:35pm On May 20, 2017
chizidgreat:

yes, I traveled again from Enugu to Ph
You mentioned your trip experiences fro PH to ENUGU and you forgot to complete your experience including all the towns you passed enroute to your final destination which is kano
Re: A Nairalander's Experiences On The Train From Port-Harcourt To Kano In Pictures by chizidgreat(m): 2:16pm On May 21, 2017
rinzaugustine:
You mentioned your trip experiences fro PH to ENUGU and you forgot to complete your experience including all the towns you passed enroute to your final destination which is kano
I did not pass kano
Re: A Nairalander's Experiences On The Train From Port-Harcourt To Kano In Pictures by escoak: 8:49pm On May 07, 2018
chizidgreat:

I did not pass kano

Please contact me so we could talk further. I'm planning on taking one from kano
Re: A Nairalander's Experiences On The Train From Port-Harcourt To Kano In Pictures by nasoeb: 9:58pm On Dec 17, 2019
chizidgreat:
Thanks to the Goodluck Jonathan's admnistration, the railway service that was rehabilitated is fully working and is meant for all to enjoy. Yesterday, I boarded a train enroute Portharcourt to Kano and dropped at Enugu and these were my experiences. It was actually my first time of ever using the train and all I could say is that it is purely fun and full of adventures.

First, I observed that the train was faster than many people think. We left Portharcourt by 7am and reached Enugu around 3pm, something I never thought would be possible with the Nigerian train. Well, you should know that there is no traffic jam associated with the train. Secondly, I observed that the train have many advantages over the buses like space, enough natural air, table to place your things and even read your books if you want to, and the convenience to move about as you like and with that, you will never get bored throughout the journey no matter the length of distance. Also, the train is very cost effective especially in this kind of time that fuel determines almost every move we make. In fact, the fare from Ph to Enugu is just 650 ( I mean sixty hundred and fifty naira ) and from Ph to Kaduna; 2,100.

However, there are some hitches that happened on the way before we could reach our destination and which in my thinking should warrant some improvement on the rail system. I am going to explain these hitches as I give brief details of my experiences on the way.

We set off from Portharcourt by exactly 7 am and reached at Elelenwa station before 8. But we waited there for almost one hour because another train was coming from Aba and there was only one rail for their passage. So, we had to wait until it reached the station and cleared to the side before we could pass and continue our journey. I hope the minister for transport should take note of this. Next place to stop was Imo river. Imo river was folllowed by Aba which I think looks equipped to an extent. Aba was followed by Umuoba. At umuoba shortly after the station, we exprienced another hitch;the train started crawling like a snail; the reason being that that there were grasses on the rail which needed to be gotten rid of for effective moment. This took about 20 minutes . From Umuoba, we got to Mbaosu, then Umuahia Ibeku (Nnamdi Kanu’s place- I guess), then to Uzuakoli and then to Ovim to Ozara to Afikpo to Uduma to Nomeh to Ugbawka to Agbani, then to Enugu. I think that this documentation can help some authors and statisticians.

The journey was doubly that of an experience and an eye opener. Expreientially, we came across so many trees I had never seen before. In some of the thick forests, we also saw some exotic animals but not the harmful ones though. As an eye-opener, I noticed that there were still some communities in this our country that needed more attention than others and I should use this medium to implore those involved to, please do the needful. For instance, in some of the thick forests, precisely between Afikpo and Ishiagu both of Ebonyi State, I noticed something that dazed me. I saw a very old building inside the thick forest and I was yet wondering whether it was where people used to live before the war when suddenly, we sighted children who turned out to be schoolchildren waving at us from the building. Oh my God, that was a school! And looks like a government school too. I wondered, is the government still aware that they exist?
Apart from these few hitches, the rest of the journey was smooth and enjoyable and like I noted before about free movement in the vehicle, I kept jumping from coach to coach and even coming to the door to wave at the onlookers that happily waved at us. One more thing before I forget, Enugu Railway Station is the most equipped and the most beautiful one I have seen from Ph to Enugu. Pls, let’s clap for Enugu.
Below are the pictures of the railway stations we came across on our way.

Now, let me encourage anyone that wish to travel a long distance and don't have the money that the train is a good alternative and is safer than you think. I also made few inquiries and discovered that the train moves from Portharcourt on Tuesdays by 7am and arrives Kano by Thursday Morning. It also leaves Kano that same Thursday and arrives Portharcourt by Saturday Morning. That means the movement is once in a week; this is apart from the one that shuttles between towns like Aba and Ph on daily basis though. So, if you are travelling from Enugu to Ph, just come to Enugu railway station by 3pm on Saturday and from Enugu to Kano or Lafia or Kaduna should come to Enugu railway station by 3pm on Tuesdays. Any other information about other locations would be duly communicated
Evening bro, compliments of the season to you.
Please, I have making some researching about this train journey between ph to abuja (which seem I will have to stop at kaduna and board another ttain to abuja) or ph to kano.
Please where is the (your) take off point in Port-Harcourt. Or can I board from any train station in ph.
Do you still have idea how much the fare from ph to abuja or kano cost.
Please I will appreciate your response.
Thanks.
Re: A Nairalander's Experiences On The Train From Port-Harcourt To Kano In Pictures by chizidgreat(m): 11:23pm On Dec 23, 2019
nasoeb:

Evening bro, compliments of the season to you.
Please, I have making some researching about this train journey between ph to abuja (which seem I will have to stop at kaduna and board another ttain to abuja) or ph to kano.
Please where is the (your) take off point in Port-Harcourt. Or can I board from any train station in ph.
Do you still have idea how much the fare from ph to abuja or kano cost.
Please I will appreciate your response.
Thanks.

Oh dear. I'm so sorry for the late reply.
Please, the Port Harcourt Enugu rail has stopped working for almost two years now, thanks to Buhari's administration.
The only thing we have now is Port Harcourt to Aba.
I don't know though whether there's any terminal where it takes off around the South Eastern axis.
Thanks

Once again, sorry for the late reply. Nwoke e zu ike
Re: A Nairalander's Experiences On The Train From Port-Harcourt To Kano In Pictures by nasoeb: 5:48am On Dec 24, 2019
chizidgreat:

Oh dear. I'm so sorry for the late reply.
Please, the Port Harcourt Enugu rail has stopped working for almost two years now, thanks to Buhari's administration.
The only thing we have now is Port Harcourt to Aba.
I don't know though whether there's any terminal where it takes off around the South Eastern axis.
Thanks

Once again, sorry for the late reply. Nwoke e zu ike
Thanks bro
Re: A Nairalander's Experiences On The Train From Port-Harcourt To Kano In Pictures by DisGuy: 1:56am On Jan 04, 2020
Found this....recent journey PH -Aba- PH!

Didn't even know the old narrow guage is still working

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kftnTJkLNSo
Re: A Nairalander's Experiences On The Train From Port-Harcourt To Kano In Pictures by chizidgreat(m): 6:53am On Apr 11, 2020
Luckygurl:
Awwww!!
Will be shuttling between Enugu and Port Harcourt frequently from now till end of the year, I could try this out and have a feeling of what it's like smiley

@Op, you've got a smooth way with words. Oh!! Least I forget, you look cute wink

Thanks. I'm blushing

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

British Family Detained For "Accidentally" Driving Into US / Passengers Burnt Beyond Recognition In Obollo Afor, Enugu Road (Graphic Photos) / New Great Shorts Of Eko-atlantic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.