Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,362 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:55 PM

Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: (7423 Views)

8 Important Factors Nigeria Fresh Graduate Needs To Check Before Submitting Cv / 6 Careers That Will Be Extinct In 10 Years / Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by pepigeorge(m): 12:06pm On Apr 20, 2016
Careers in the oil and gas industry every fresh graduate needs to know:

Most graduates are unemployed today not just because there are no job opportunities but because they are not aware of career opportunities in different industries: I will be writing on the different careers in the oil industry.

If you ask most fresh graduates about the oil industry, all they know are Shell, Chevron, Exxonmobil, Agip etc. In the oil industry, we have:

Producing Companies: Shell, Chevron, Sterling, Pan ocean, NPDC, Agip, Adax, Exxonmobil, Seplat etc. These companies, acquire oil blocks, licences from DPR and employ the services of the servicing companies and drilling contractors.

Servicing companies: As the name implies, they provide services of different sort for the producing companies. companies found in this categories are: Haliburton, Schlumberger, Backer Huges, FMC, Cameron, AOS Orwell and a lot of Indigenous companies.

Drilling Contractors: The companies in this category provide the drilling rigs, maintain the rig and provide safe functional rigs for service companies to work. Ed Noble, Transocean ,etc

Firstly, in developing an oil well, we have different stages;

Planning phase

Drilling phase

Completions phase.

Careers in the oil industries

Directional driller

MWD/LWD; measurement while drilling/ logging while drilling

mud loggers

casing

cementers

waste management

mud engineer.

Drilling engineers

wire line logging

coring engineers

Anti collision expert

company man

well testing

well head

completion engineers, etc

Staff of the Drilling contractors:

Tool pusher

Drillers

Assistance drillers

Electricians

Mechanics

Floor men

Roustabouts

mud man

safety officer

cooks

camp boss

laundry men

cleaners

material man, etc

In a nutshell, there are lots of career parts for a fresh graduates only if he/she is aware that such opportunities exist. Most of the careers in the oil industry are provided by the servicing companies. so next time you hear that someone is working in the oil industry, you mind should not only go to Shell or Chevron. Take a moment to check out the careers listed above, find out companies involved in rendering those services, I think it will be a good start as you are entering the labor market.

Feel free to add more career opportunities.

Source: http://www.naijarex.com/2016/04/20/careers-in-the-oil-and-gas-industry-every-fresh-graduate-needs-to-know/

view site for more mind illuminating articles

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by desertboom(m): 12:38pm On May 14, 2016
@ pepigeorge
Sir, I have passion for Wire Line Logging. Please, what's your comment on it?
Where can one learn the preliminary if there is no employment, like school or any organise settings.
Thanks as I await your responses
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by DerMeister: 7:54pm On May 14, 2016
You can't learn wireline! You have to be trained by the service company to run its tools. Each service company has its own tools and software that differ from company to company. It's not like mud engineering. If you want to waste money learning rudiments, you can go to ips in uniport for a 2 week course.
Just mho
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by Nobody: 10:39pm On May 14, 2016
I may add that in the Oil and Gas Industry you have:

Producing Companies. Which are International also called IOCS (e.g. Shell, Chevron, Eni, ExxonMobil, etc) or Indigenous (Monipulo, Sahara, Afren/Amni, Pan Ocean)

Servicing Companies: These are also international and indigenous. Their services are DIRECT or INDIRECT. Direct service are for oil and gas services that directly have to do with the production of oil and gas (e.g drilling, well testing etc.). Indirect services support direct oil and gas activities (e.g. Catering, waste management, etc). Due to our Local Content Laws, many are indigenized. They include drilling, well servicing, maintenance,transportation, logistics, marine services, supplies, waste management services etc.

Regulatory Agencies: These are regulatory agencies o the government who regulate activities in the oil and gas industry from Engineering, Standards, H.S.E to Budgeting/Cash-calls. E.g. DPR, NAPIMS, etc.

Take a pick.
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by pepigeorge(m): 11:49am On May 15, 2016
desertboom:
@ pepigeorge
Sir, I have passion for Wire Line Logging. Please, what's your comment on it?
Where can one learn the preliminary if there is no employment, like school or any organise settings.
Thanks as I await your responses

Logging is carried out on a well to evaluate the formation:

1. To know the type of formation using gamma sensor
2. The resistivity of the formation using resistivity
sensor
3. Porosity of the formation and so on
wireline logging is done after drilling a well before casing it. The formation evaluation sensors are lowered into the open hole via a wireline.
We also have logging while drilling LWD. This is done real time while drilling the well. The sensors are built into a collar and attach to the drill string.
the tools are different with different companies that carries out the operation but the basic principles are the same, it like Toyota and Benz....lol. You can start learning the principles but practical is on a logging company facilities

U can get books and videos on wireline logging or LWD online. If u find anything difficult, I can help out
I can only assist with LWD if you are base in PH
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by desertboom(m): 3:20pm On May 15, 2016
DerMeister:
You can't learn wireline! You have to be trained by the service company to run its tools. Each service company has its own tools and software that differ from company to company. It's not like mud engineering. If you want to waste money learning rudiments, you can go to ips in uniport for a 2 week course.
Just mho
Sir. . . Thanks for the head up. Much appreciation
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by desertboom(m): 4:30pm On May 15, 2016
pepigeorge:

Logging is carried out on a well to evaluate the formation:

1. To know the type of formation using gamma sensor
2. The resistivity of the formation using resistivity
sensor
3. Porosity of the formation and so on
wireline logging is done after drilling a well before casing it. The formation evaluation sensors are lowered into the open hole via a wireline.
We also have logging while drilling LWD. This is done real time while drilling the well. The sensors are built into a collar and attach to the drill string.
the tools are different with different companies that carries out the operation but the basic principles are the same, it like Toyota and Benz....lol. You can start learning the principles but practical is on a logging company facilities

U can get books and videos on wireline logging or LWD online. If u find anything difficult, I can help out

Sir. . . Thanks for the immense information, I deeply appreciate the well detailed info. You must be very good at what you do. Please sir, can you be my mentor? I am a recent graduate, struggling to get my foot in this industry. If accepted, I will be exceedingly glad as I will be opportune to learn tips and guides from a Pro like you in order to succeed in this industry.

Yes, I am based in Port Harcourt. I will be happy to get a positive responses from you. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by pepigeorge(m): 7:17pm On May 15, 2016
desertboom:

Sir. . . Thanks for the immense information, I deeply appreciate the well detailed info. You must be very good at what you do. Please sir, can you be my mentor? I am a recent graduate, struggling to get my foot in this industry. If accepted, I will be exceedingly glad as I will be opportune to learn tips and guides from a Pro like you in order to succeed in this industry.

Yes, I am based in Port Harcourt. I will be happy to get a positive responses from you. Thanks

No problem
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by desertboom(m): 8:26pm On May 15, 2016
pepigeorge:

No problem
Thank you sir, please is there other means to reach you? Because I've tried PM.
However, my e-mail is martinsyeah@yahoo.com
Thanks
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by pepigeorge(m): 11:55am On May 21, 2016
desertboom:

Thank you sir, please is there other means to reach you? Because I've tried PM.
However, my e-mail is martinsyeah@yahoo.com
Thanks
naijarex.com@yahoo.com.
I am also making plan to organise training courses on drilling operations; Basic and advance.
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by desertboom(m): 1:10pm On May 21, 2016
pepigeorge:

naijarex.com@yahoo.com.
I am also making plan to organise training courses on drilling operations; Basic and advance.

It will be nice to learn the basics. Please, based on your experience what course or training can be of good benefit.
I mean something that can open door of opportunity for me in the industry.
Thanks
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by Samhetalks(m): 2:52pm On May 21, 2016
Pls sir, I'm a chmstry graduate. Made a 2.2. Do u think there's anyplace I can feature in an oil firm either wit my area of discipline or grade?
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by pepigeorge(m): 5:14pm On May 21, 2016
Samhetalks:
Pls sir, I'm a chmstry graduate. Made a 2.2. Do u think there's anyplace I can feature in an oil firm either wit my area of discipline or grade?
yes.....eeverything in oil industry is opportunity and timing...Afterall u did science. . Just equip yourself.

1 Like

Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by Samhetalks(m): 10:56pm On May 21, 2016
Thanks Mr George, sorry I ask too many questions but, hw do I necessarily need to equip myslf?
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by Nobody: 5:49am On May 22, 2016
Thank you for this insight... buh please how. do fresh graduates get into the industry wen ds companies. are always asking of at least 5years experience for entry level??

Can one also volunteer at least to be trained?
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by pepigeorge(m): 10:10am On May 22, 2016
Samhetalks:
Thanks Mr George, sorry I ask too many questions but, hw do I necessarily need to equip myslf?
you have to know what the oil industry is all about..the services, the process and basic things to face an interview and suceed

1 Like

Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by pepigeorge(m): 10:11am On May 22, 2016
crixtex:
Thank you for this insight... buh please how. do fresh graduates get into the industry wen ds companies. are always asking of at least 5years experience for entry level??

Can one also volunteer at least to be trained?

You might be lucky.....2 to 3month, u feel used
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by Nobody: 12:44pm On May 22, 2016
pepigeorge:

You might be lucky.....2 to 3month, u feel used

Bro.. how?? I ve oversearched.. o ti sun mi... its unfair way fresh graduates go through especially. d engineers or safety graduates
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by pepigeorge(m): 1:02pm On May 22, 2016
crixtex:

Bro.. how?? I ve oversearched.. o ti sun mi... its unfair way fresh graduates go through especially. d engineers or safety graduates

I was employed as a trainee field engineer some years ago, I had no experience in drilling operations.i didn't even know the services rendered in oil drilling operations. I had the same thought as you. I wrote aptitude test with more than 400 hundred persons and did interview. ..
The first question they asked me in the interview was "wot do we do here" my reply got me the job.
Breaking into the oil industry is difficult but it's not impossible. ..don't defeat yourself b4 you even attempt.

Find a career you like in the oil industry. ..study wot their operations are all about...learn wot they do and why they do it...

Sooner or later, they will advertise for job opening. You will be ahead of your mate looking for the same job.

I will start writing on the different careers on my blog.
I wont to start with you. Which of the careers wud u want me to write about?
I will write about it n pace it on my blog and on this thread also

www.Naijarex.com
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by Nobody: 1:05pm On May 22, 2016
pepigeorge:

I was employed as a trainee field some years, I had no experience in drilling operations.i didn't even know the services rendered in oil drilling operations. I had the same thought as you. I wrote aptitude test with more than 400 hundred persons and did interview. ..
The first question they asked me in the interview was "wot do we do here" my reply got me the job.
Breaking into the oil industry is difficult but it's not impossible. ..don't defeat yourself b4 you even attempt.

Find a career you like in the oil industry. ..study wot their operations are all about...learn wot they do and why they do it...

Sooner or later, they will advertise for job opening. You will be ahead of your mate looking for the same job.

I will start writing on the different careers on my blog.
I wont to start with you. Which of the careers wud u want me to write about?
I will write about it n pace it on my blog and on this thread also

www.Naijarex.com

Thanks bro... insightful. I will...
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by desertboom(m): 12:14am On May 23, 2016
pepigeorge:

Sir. . . Please, How do you intend to help me regarding Logging While Drilling LWD as promised. Thanks
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by pepigeorge(m): 9:15am On May 23, 2016
desertboom:

Sir. . . Please, How do you intend to help me regarding Logging While Drilling LWD as promised. Thanks
i will write on it soon...
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by cr80vity(m): 11:45am On May 23, 2016
does ICT guys have career in oil and gas industry...if yes pls tell
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by pepigeorge(m): 3:16pm On May 23, 2016
Ya....
1. Any thing that has to do with computers, transfer of information and software...ict is involved.
some oil services use softwares for carrying out their job.... logging while drilling LWD, wireline logging etc..
2. far in the rigs: land locations, swamp or deep off shores, information has to be sent to town, reports, mails etc.
3. If you are a competent programmer, java, C++.. Baker Hughes, Halliburton, Schlumberger are looking for them every time cos they are scarce.
Finally..There are jobs for ICT

Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by Kaycee625(m): 12:46am On May 24, 2016
Sir please am a fresh graduate, looking for a skill i can acquire to equip myself and make me employable and able, to work in the oil industry and make me an asset to any oil company or servicing firm.
Am a civil engineering graduate with second class upper
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by pepigeorge(m): 8:48am On May 29, 2016
Kaycee625:
Sir please am a fresh graduate, looking for a skill i can acquire to equip myself and make me employable and able, to work in the oil industry and make me an asset to any oil company or servicing firm.
Am a civil engineering graduate with second class upper

You can get training on the basic principles of oil and gas services and careers
I guess there are some in ph..
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by ADEWALE7777: 7:48pm On May 29, 2016
Sir thanks for the good job...I am a recent graduate of geography finished my programme in march...pls what are the things I can lay my hands on before service (octo/nov) so as to be relevant in oil and gas industry
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by Opeyemi4real(m): 10:38am On May 30, 2016
Pls how can a graduate geologist get in? Ready to volunteer!
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by Cipha(m): 11:00am On May 30, 2016
Basically to get yourself started in the industry, you need to at least acquaint yourself with the activities of a range of services, you don't need to really be a master in it. Sometimes just that understanding can set you apart from your peers in an interview, it builds your confidence too. Learning any applicable software helps a lot.

Sure there are some other people that get into companies based on their familiarity with 1 person or the other, but it's better you are prepared with knowledge first hand and then you tackle job applications.

A training program from professionals that have real life experience can help you in this.
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by Cipha(m): 11:12am On May 30, 2016
I am a Geologist too, and my sojourn in the oil industry took a different turn (everybody has their own different story).

During service year I used the time I had to train myself on some software for Pipeline and Engineering design, I learnt AUTOCAD, HYSYS, AUTOCAD P&ID and these were mostly because I was prepping myself for a job in an EPC company involved in Pipeline Engineering..why?..cos I got a relative in such a company who offered to help so I was equipping myself.

Fast forward>>>after service, a couple of interviews here and still no job yet, then a turn around appeared when I got into a 2 weeks NDDC sponsored program for Niger Delta youths on Drilling Services Operations....it wasn't fantastic and it didn't get us any job attachments, but it gave me that basic knowledge and skills which I continued studying later.

This prepared me for a my next interviews that ultimately landed me a job as a M/LWD (Measurement/Logging while drilling) Field Engineer which I am still doing now having worked for 2 different companies in this service line.

Bottomline: Training, skills acquisition, knowledege acquisition can get your foot through the door. Yes the industry is down at the moment...but who do you think will ahead of their peers when the flood gates open up again?
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by Oilcareercoach: 2:35pm On May 30, 2016
For the fresh graduates wondering how to get a foothold in the industry, its all about what you know. I have tested and interviewed guys with 6 to 8 years industry experience who performed woefully and I have spoken to fresh grads who have wowed me. I totally agree with Mr. George and Cipha, invest in your future and get yourself properly trained. With proper training, you can claim 3 years experience. Its all about being able to defend what you have on your CV and only a well structured training and plenty of hard study can guarantee this.
Re: Careers In The Oil And Gas Industry Every Fresh Graduate Needs To Know: by pepigeorge(m): 9:18am On May 31, 2016
Opeyemi4real:
Pls how can a graduate geologist get in? Ready to volunteer!

Just get some training. .cos u are on the right track....geologist are valued high in the oil industry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Women Lawyering In A Man’s World - Jennifer Ifunanya Ugwu / Which Location Is The Best For Your Head Office? 90% Says Lagos / ICAN Has Rejected Me Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.