Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,049 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:36 AM

Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki (3661 Views)

Joy Ezechikamnayo Assumes Office As Governor Of Abia, Okezie Ikpeazu Hands Over / Asset Declaration: Saraki Ends Historic 14-day Cross-examination Of Witness / Hindatu Umar Assumes Office As Arugungu LGA Chairperson (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by babanett: 2:33pm On Apr 20, 2016
COMEDY IN COURT AS DAN LADI UMAR ASSUMES THE ROLE OF WITNESS IN #CCTvsSARAKI

It was an action-packed court session today, as several interesting revelations came to light as the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) trial of the Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, entered its fifth day.

Earlier in the day, based on the Chairman of the CCT, Dan Ladi Umar’s, double-booking of cases at the same time and on the same day, the lead counsel of a former Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Elder Godsday Orubebe, who is also on trial at the CCT, argued that double-booking two cases was an abuse of court processes.

In a heated rebuttal, the CCT Chairman ordered Orubebe’s counsel to sit down, and said that he was proceeding with Saraki’s case despite the protestations of Orubebe’s counsel.

When the cross-examination of the first witness in the case, Mr. Micheal Wetkas, an official of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) continued, counsel to the Senate President, Paul Usoro (SAN), had to point out that the CCT Chairman was acting as if he was the one on the stand.

In a comical exchange on the usage of credit and debit cards, Usoro asked Wetkas whether he owned a debit card to which Wetkas responded: “I am not a banker, but I have an ATM card.”

At that point, Umar began explaining what a credit card was to the court, to which Usoro responded:

“Thank you for that explanation my lord,” he said, “The only problem that I have here is that my lord is not the one on the witness stand.”

At that point, the whole court burst into laughter, knowing fully well that Umar’s role as a judge is meant to be neutral in the cross-examination process.

The CCT Chairman immediately asked both Counsels to adjourn the cross-examination for 15 minutes.

Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by shiftmarket(m): 2:37pm On Apr 20, 2016
All these news to make the judge seem partial. These things happen in our courts daily, nothing dramatic about it jo.

Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by DropShot: 2:38pm On Apr 20, 2016
Poor job by Umar there.

Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by TippyTop(m): 2:43pm On Apr 20, 2016
This Umar attended same school as Buhari.

Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by TippyTop(m): 2:45pm On Apr 20, 2016
shiftmarket:
All these news to make the judge seem partial. These things happen in our courts daily, nothing dramatic about it jo.

Which courts do you find judges answering questions on behalf of witnesses?
Haba! It's not the job of trial judges to assume position of the witness.

Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by olapluto(m): 2:50pm On Apr 20, 2016
The judge had to come in because Saraki's 80 SANs were beginning to dance away from the main issues in the trial. Asking about Wetkas education or if he knew what American Express does, is all legal antics. Saraki transfered 78000 USD to American Express card. That is illegal. That was the case.
Asking if Wetkas uses an ATM is as silly as Saraki's childish attempts to evade justice.

Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by 9jatriot(m): 2:53pm On Apr 20, 2016
The report says he explained what a debit card was to the witness not answer the question.
What is the difference between a debit card and an ATM card?
TippyTop:

Which courts do you find judges answering questions on behalf of witnesses?
Haba! It's not the job of trial judges to assume position of the witness.

Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by Nobody: 2:54pm On Apr 20, 2016
I think I am beginning to enjoy this trial.It has been a comedy of blunders from the prosecution witness to the stupid CCT chairman.It will make it very easier for the supreme court t dispose off the case

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by RockHard: 2:58pm On Apr 20, 2016
chukwudi44:
I think I am beginning to enjoy this trial.It has been a comedy of blunders from the prosecution witness to the stupid CCT chairman.It will make it very easier for the supreme court t dispose off the case

Bro, you sound like you have already conceded that Saraki's loss at the CCT is already a foregone conclusion and hinging your hopes on the Supreme court, no?

Saraki and his team have relentlessly attacked the same Umar so wetin Una expect??

Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by TippyTop(m): 3:00pm On Apr 20, 2016
9jatriot:
The report says he explained what a debit card was to the witness not answer the question.
What is the difference between a debit card and an ATM card?

So what's the use of having prosecutor witnesses if the judge is going to guide the witnesses?
This would end up a mistrial, judges give judgements not act as witnesses in their own courts.
The witness has his own lawyer who could have intervened.
Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by Nobody: 3:04pm On Apr 20, 2016
olapluto:
The judge had to come in because Saraki's 80 SANs were beginning to dance away from the main issues in the trial. Asking about Wetkas education or if he knew what American Express does, is all legal antics. Saraki transfered 78000 USD to American Express card. That is illegal. That was the case.
Asking if Wetkas uses an ATM is as silly as Saraki's childish attempts to evade justice.
They need to ascertain if the witness understands the rudiments of financial activities since the case borders on finances and the witness has been reeling out financial figures that doesn't correlate.

Read more books or legal fictions and you will see the beauty of Law.

Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by 9jatriot(m): 3:05pm On Apr 20, 2016
TippyTop:

So what's the use of having prosecutor witnesses if the judge is going to guide the witnesses?
This would end up a mistrial, judges give judgements not act as witnesses in their own courts.
This guy below has explained how things really stand. If we did not know Saraki's antics, we would probably have been favourably disposed to his new approach, but for someone who master minded switching the generator, this is far easier for him to do.

olapluto:
Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by Nobody: 3:07pm On Apr 20, 2016
RockHard:

Bro, you sound like you have already conceded that Saraki's loss at the CCT is already a foregone conclusion and hinging your hopes on the Supreme court, no?

Saraki and his team have relentlessly attacked the same Umar so wetin Una expect??

I am not expecting any favourable judgement from the biased CCT chairman.Injustce Umar can go ahead and deliver whatever judgement he wants but it wil end up been as useless as that of the Rivers state election petition tribunal.This case would be decided by the supreme court and not the useless CCT

Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by Nobody: 3:09pm On Apr 20, 2016
TippyTop:

It is even good this case is well followed so that all these blunders would be fully documented.The stupid judge has ended up allowing his emotions get a better hold of him and messing up whatever stupid judgement he has planned to deliver

Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by RockHard: 3:10pm On Apr 20, 2016
chukwudi44:

I am not expecting any favourable judgement from the biased CCT chairman.Injustce Umar can go ahead and deliver whatever judgement he wants but it wil end up been as useless as that of the Rivers state election petition tribunal.This case would be decided by the supreme court and not the useless CCT

I admire your confidence, but something tells me you're dead wrong on the money in this particular case, as at other times. But time will tell. undecided
Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by TippyTop(m): 3:15pm On Apr 20, 2016
chukwudi44:

It is even good this case is well followed so that all these blunders would be fully documented.The stupid judge has ended up allowing his emotions get a better hold of him and messing up whatever stupid judgement he has planned to deliver
This case will run and run till 2019 or beyond. grin

Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by TippyTop(m): 3:15pm On Apr 20, 2016
chukwudi44:

This case will run and run till 2019 and beyond. grin
Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by terryskender: 3:24pm On Apr 20, 2016
Wetkas, who was responding to a question from Paul Usoro (SAN), Saraki’s lawyer, on some fund transfers from the senate president’s Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB) account to his alleged American Express bank account, said that in the course of his investigation, officials of GTB told him that some of the documents showing the transactions got burnt.

“Several telexes from American Express Bank and facts are here from the bank (GTB),” Wetkas said.

“All the transfer requests made by the investigating team to provide information was an offshoot of a debit transaction that was already consummated on that account, which showed that the bank it carried out.

“There is no doubt that the transaction was actually carried out by American Express Bank.

“There were also police report and an affidavit, which they (GTB) swore to, to show that some of the documents were burnt. There is an affidavit and I believe it was a fire outbreak.”

When Usoro asked: “You did not investigate to find out if American Express Bank exists?”

Wetkas responded: “My investigation was not on American Express Bank, but on the account.”

The defence counsel also asked: “From that form (the telexes showing the alleged transactions) is there any relating to America Express Bank?”

Wetkas: “There was nothing referring to American Express Bank.”

https://www.thecable.ng/gtb-told-evidence-sarakis-foreign-transactions-got-burnt-says-efcc-detective

Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by olapluto(m): 3:29pm On Apr 20, 2016
terryskender:
Wetkas, who was responding to a question from Paul Usoro (SAN), Saraki’s lawyer, on some fund transfers from the senate president’s Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB) account to his alleged American Express bank account, said that in the course of his investigation, officials of GTB told him that some of the documents showing the transactions got burnt.

“Several telexes from American Express Bank and facts are here from the bank (GTB),” Wetkas said.

“All the transfer requests made by the investigating team to provide information was an offshoot of a debit transaction that was already consummated on that account, which showed that the bank it carried out.

“There is no doubt that the transaction was actually carried out by American Express Bank.

“There were also police report and an affidavit, which they (GTB) swore to, to show that some of the documents were burnt. There is an affidavit and I believe it was a fire outbreak.”

When Usoro asked: “You did not investigate to find out if American Express Bank exists?”

Wetkas responded: “My investigation was not on American Express Bank, but on the account.”

The defence counsel also asked: “From that form (the telexes showing the alleged transactions) is there any relating to America Express Bank?”

Wetkas: “There was nothing referring to American Express Bank.”

https://www.thecable.ng/gtb-told-evidence-sarakis-foreign-transactions-got-burnt-says-efcc-detective

This is why the judge had to come in. Some very dumb questions from the defence team. Saraki transfered money to American Express, confirmed by GTB. Defence team is hanging on semantics.

Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by Fmartin(m): 3:31pm On Apr 20, 2016
TippyTop:
This Umar attended same school as Buhari.
u mean dey were ur skul mates

Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by TippyTop(m): 3:35pm On Apr 20, 2016
Fmartin:
u mean dey were ur skul mates

Same Daura college of Turenchi.

Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by Fmartin(m): 3:36pm On Apr 20, 2016
chukwudi44:
cct or supreme court, na we get am... Na we dey here...

#thepainsofopposition nw trendin grin
Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by Nobody: 3:38pm On Apr 20, 2016
Fmartin:
cct or supreme court, na we get am... Na we dey here...

#thepainsofopposition nw trendin grin

sorry dear the APC have got nothing on the supreme court.It is simply law that matters at that level.The Wike case comes to mind

Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by Nobody: 3:40pm On Apr 20, 2016
OP kindly put sauce so lalasticlala can move to fp
Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by Fmartin(m): 3:41pm On Apr 20, 2016
chukwudi44:

sorry dear the APC have got nothing on the supreme court.It is simply law that matters at that level.The Wike case comes to mind
wat abt d dismisal of d suit file by one criminal to halt his trial
Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by willyede(m): 4:42pm On Apr 20, 2016
I must confess that Usoru guy is very good
Usoro: Ongoing? Ohoooo....

Wetkas: We have contacted the foreign missions. Investigation is still ongoing. #FairTrialForSaraki

Usoro: So you didn't get the documents of the account opening package. Correct?

Wetkas: Obtaining details of the foreign account opening package will require diplomatic corporation. #FairTrialForSaraki

Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by Nobody: 5:26pm On Apr 20, 2016
RockHard:
I admire your confidence, but something tells me you're dead wrong on the money in this particular case, as at other times. But time will tell. undecided

even if chukwudi44 is wrong on this matter...I trust EFCC and the nervous UMAR to bungle this case... the EFCC prosecutor has been playing to the gallery instead of been serious about the taxpayers money he's receiving. I trust EFCC to behave as usual.

Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by Nobody: 5:28pm On Apr 20, 2016
willyede:
I must confess that Usoru guy is very good
Usoro: Ongoing? Ohoooo....

Wetkas: We have contacted the foreign missions. Investigation is still ongoing. #FairTrialForSaraki

Usoro: So you didn't get the documents of the account opening package. Correct?

Wetkas: Obtaining details of the foreign account opening package will require diplomatic corporation. #FairTrialForSaraki

EFCC will NOT disappoint me this time.
Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by Nobody: 5:29pm On Apr 20, 2016
Fmartin:
wat abt d dismisal of d suit file by one criminal to halt his trial

The supreme courts judges deal on just law!! If you dont present any good case ,you are toast.Buhari cannot exert any control over those justices,better get that at the back of your mind.BTW what the supreme court ruled on was the preliminary objections to the case and not the substantive suit

Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by 989900: 5:54pm On Apr 20, 2016
Wetkas and EFCC are just not smart enough, the lawyer was trying to highlight his ignorance: Amex is basically a card issuing financial company just like Mastercard and Visa; (well they do have the banking arm too)

Amex cards do have high limits, and if transfer to those cards can be verified or proved, and confirmed to be issued by a foreign bank, then no problem.

Like I said earlier in some other thread, these are just preambles -- the real case is with 'false declaration of assets', the initial stage is just to prove that Dr. Bukola Saraki is basically a dubious and fraudulent man, probably with foreign account(s)

Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by FemiFaniKayode: 6:26pm On Apr 20, 2016
chukwudi44:
OP kindly put sauce so lalasticlala can move to fp

no be only sauce he go put ofe onugbo, egusi, ofe oha and ofe owerri join.

Chukwudidirin
Re: Comedy In Court As Dan Ladi Umar Assumes The Role Of Witness In #cctvssaraki by odikimi: 6:41pm On Apr 20, 2016
olapluto:
You are really sounding like a layman. Oh I forgot that you are one in this. In cross examination, the sky is the light provided the questions are relevant. The Defence counsel is trying to shake the credibility of the witness, to show that he is not a reliable witness u r here oozing outer nonsense.

Fayose Is Right! Federal Govt Lied about the N5,000 Stipend. / To Really Understand Igbo People, Read This Article. / Minor-cracks, No Port-holes On 3rd Mainland Bridge - Ferma

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63