Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,955 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:34 AM

~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ (21115 Views)

How To Make 5 Amazing Appetizers Using The Same 3 Ingredients / Photo!!pics!!! Guys Can You Eat This Snacks!!gels Cn U Watch Him Eat This??pics! / Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by Hauwa1: 10:13pm On Aug 12, 2009
oh Toyosi, you want to kill me with longings eh?
that leaf is one blessed plant God made on the 1st day

where do u find that leaf if you live outside nig, please share.
my grandmother use those leaf for her moi mois and as a kid i love rice wrapped in those leaf.
please o share your secret (do you buy them from the mexicans/spanish/asian grocery?

i will ask questions for sausage once i get the leaves sorted out (i mean where you get them overseas) cheesy
Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by mohawkchic(f): 7:41pm On Aug 16, 2009
~I asked one of my Girlfriends some of the names of Popular Snacks/Appetizers back home. . .We had a laff recalling . . .

Banana Cake: Made w/ raw Banana thinly sliced across,Flour mix,seasoned w/ spices

Cucumber Grun Soap: Cucumber chopped/diced with Pepper,Maggie,Fish,Lime all mixed together

Garri Grun Soap: Garri,Pepper,Onions,Fish,Maggie,Lime:all mixed together

Roast Fish: Roasted with Pepper,Lime & I think Sometimes Peanut butter is used undecided

Smoked Fish: Dry flated spicy smoked fish packaged w/ 2/3 fish
Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by mohawkchic(f): 7:55pm On Aug 16, 2009
~My G/f was also kind enuff to go thro the process of making  "Rice Akara" :I did a trail of making it a couple weeks ago. . . . .cocked it up!! My son on whose behalf i was determined to learn how to do it didnt even give it a second look. . he says its nothing like the one he likes  sad I didnt have a problem eating it proudly cheesy

Rice Akara Recipe

Ingredients
~Rice flour/Ground Rice I used Cake flour lipsrsealed
~Over-riped Banana
~Nutmeg
~Baking Powder
~Oil For Deep pan frying

Method
~Mix Flour w/ peeled banana
~Add  a pinch/tea spoon of Nutmeg & Baking Powder
~Water can be added if mixture is too thick
~Heat Oil
~Scoop mixture into heated oil either by hand or scoop spoon

The Size of the scoop mixture determines how big/small they come out: I like them smaller than they are on pics

~Anywho i took pics. . .she served the Akara w/ Fried Snapper Fish & Gravy sauce

Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by SeanT21(f): 6:57am On Aug 17, 2009
Akara I think we call it Cala in Liberia. Don't know where we got the name Cala from sef.Some eat it with gravy, pepper sauce, sugar,etc. Its like Doughnuts but round.
Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by mohawkchic(f): 2:46am On Aug 20, 2009
~Interesting name. . .Cala

~Eat it w/ Sugar? Whoah! Does Cala have the same ingredients as Akara?
Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by chiejik(f): 12:57pm On Aug 20, 2009
yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by SeanT21(f): 1:29am On Aug 21, 2009
mohawkchic:

~Interesting name. . .Cala

~Eat it w/ Sugar? Whoah! Does Cala have the same ingredients as Akara?

Well, Cala is made from flour, oil, yeast, etc. Its the same way U make doughnuts but the end result is round. I think maybe Cala and Akara is different.
Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by mohawkchic(f): 2:31am On Aug 21, 2009
~Aaah Okies. . I was just Wondering is all. . .Ta.
Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by mohawkchic(f): 9:46pm On Oct 28, 2009
[size=13pt]~This is a pic of one of the Food i'd mentioned in an earlier post

"Roast Fish" W/ Peanut butter spread/Lime & Seasoning on it~
[/size]
Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by mohawkchic(f): 9:58pm On Oct 28, 2009
[size=13pt]~I Finally got pics to bring to life some of the snacks i've been banging on about!!

~Fritters of Banana Cake,Coconut Cake & Fried Sweet Potatoes~
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3189/3000563950_0efff03c2a.jpg
[/img]

~Jelly Anyone? I loved Jelly. .not fully formed but really sweet!

~Some kind of Dough cut out undecided~
[/size]
Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by SeanT21(f): 10:03pm On Oct 28, 2009
Jelly = coconut?? nickname??
Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by mohawkchic(f): 10:06pm On Oct 28, 2009
[size=13pt]~Yeah its coconut,but we call it Jelly. . .[/size]
Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by MrCrackles(m): 10:07pm On Oct 28, 2009
I love chin chin to bits. . . . tongue
Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by SeanT21(f): 10:07pm On Oct 28, 2009
Makes more sense now wink
Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by mohawkchic(f): 10:16pm On Oct 28, 2009
[size=13pt]~Here's one i dont recall the name. .It's chalky but very sweet,it dissolves in the mouth & has seeds underneath the chalky pods. . .
[/size]
Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by Hauwa1: 10:37pm On Oct 28, 2009
i used to eat/lick the powdery seeds in the pod too while living in the north. the Tiv cook and ferment the seed for soup.
Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by Hauwa1: 10:38pm On Oct 28, 2009
samia is a nice snack grin
Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by mohawkchic(f): 2:08am On Oct 29, 2009
*Hauwa*:

i used to eat/lick the powdery seeds in the pod too while living in the north. the Tiv cook and ferment the seed for soup.

[size=13pt]~Oh Okies. . .Is it called Samia?[/size]
Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by chic2pimp(m): 2:28am On Oct 29, 2009
UNA GO KILL PERSON FOR HIA SHA WITH ALL THE SNACKS UNA DEY POST undecided undecided undecided. SEE AS I DEY DROOL embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by Nobody: 5:23am On Oct 29, 2009
Is that my Hauwa? kiss kiss kiss
Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by Hauwa1: 6:16pm On Oct 29, 2009
Gator, hey sweetie, bawo ni mo miss ya sha like a real sistah  grin before ogidi come twist wetin i write. i have been meaning to say bawo ni wink

no Mohawk, the name is not Samia. as kids we called that locust beans (but not) wink

Samia is a catalystic stuff  grin very VERY sour seed, brownish in color
Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by mohawkchic(f): 8:30pm On Oct 29, 2009
*Hauwa*:

no Mohawk, the name is not Samia. as kids we called that locust beans (but not) wink

Samia is a catalystic stuff  grin very VERY sour seed, brownish in color

[size=13pt] ~Oh Okies. . .I'm still trying to recall what we call it. . . undecided grin

~I cud be wrong but Samia cud well be what we call "Tombee". . .Just the thought of the sharp sour tatse had my mouth in a twist cheesy. . Sugar was added to it. . i liked the juice but not sucking on the seeds. . .

~Will browse online for a pic. .
[/size]
Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by Fhemmmy: 5:37am On Nov 02, 2009
ummmmm. . . . . those looks good
Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by bamboke(f): 11:26am On Nov 02, 2009
Well I know kokoro. They are long and thin.made from corn. Also know of kulikuli.
Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by bamboke(f): 11:36am On Nov 02, 2009
There one we did then in the boarding house;northern nigeria. Its called Kwado. Made from garri,that is sprinked with water to make it soft but not mashy. We then add bits of sardine or gesha. Then grounded kulikuli and grounded pepper. Also oil. And salt&maggi,with curry&thyme.

Ready to eat!
Re: ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ by mohawkchic(f): 7:27pm On Nov 02, 2009
bamboke:

There one we did then in the boarding house;northern nigeria. Its called Kwado. Made from garri,that is sprinked with water to make it soft but not mashy.  We then add bits of sardine or gesha. Then grounded kulikuli and grounded pepper. Also oil. And salt&maggi,with curry&thyme.

Ready to eat!

[size=13pt] ~That recipe right there is what we call "Garri Grun-Soup". . grin Every attempt i made to eat it will leave me w/ heart burn. . .It was popular w/ girls in my school. . everyone decides what ingredients they'll bring & come lunch time,the "Chef" will mix it all together then share. . .Certainly brought back memories!

~There is another variation of "Grun-Soup" with Cucumbers. . .Lime,Cayenne pepper & chuncks of Dry fish is added. . I loved the Spicy cucumber combo but w/o the dry fish. . .
[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please Help Me, I Can't Eat Meat Anymore. / Will You Buy A Small Bottle Of Water 2k? / HOW TO KNOW Original & Fake Eva Bottled Water- Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.