Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,054 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord (15144 Views)

My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village / Candle Fire Burns Two-storey Building In Lagos, A Tenant Dead / Can A Tenant Have Guests? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by Nobody: 8:03am On Apr 23, 2016
My Landlord brought Land Use Charge Notice and demanded that we share it equally amongst all the tenants and that was the last straw that broke the carmel's back.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by yadnus1(m): 8:19am On Apr 23, 2016
I was sleeping in my room one day in 2010 when l received a call from my landlord who was away in Saudi Arabia to perform the pligrimage. He instructed that I should give his daughter the money for my rent.Not that l was owing, but the usual 6months renewal which we normally pay in advance(was in the last month of my current rent)The girl told me later that the man wanted to get some stuff from Saudi on his way back home and needed money. It infuriates me that this man all the way back in Mecca still has time to mentally calculate rents rather than concentrate on what took him there. Meanwhile the work on my own building had reached an advanced stage,the roofing have been done .I sought for loan and hurriedly put some finishing touches to a room & sitting room, l finished the guest toilet, and l turned one of the unfinished rooms into a makeshift kitchen(was still single then, only need a place to do cooking occasionally).l carried out all these within 2 weeks and l moved there before he got his azz back to Nigeria.My only regret then was the wishy-washy way l did the building because my plans before was to finish it to my taste before moving in on the day of my wedding, but man proposes..... I have since finished the remaining work on the building.

14 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by OWNwithEASE: 8:23am On Apr 23, 2016
Introducing OWNwithEASE

• Looking to buy a home on mortgage with low to zero interest rates?
• Have you been turned back by mortgage homes?
• Do you wish to move into your own house immediately?
• Are you ready to stop paying your Landlord rent?
• Are you tired of saving up for years to get your dream home?

ADVANTAGES OF OWN WITH EASE

• With Own With Ease you can acquire properties with ease!
• Move into your home immediately after paying a 40% deposit on selected property.
• Six months repayment plans attract zero interest rates.
• All properties are ready for immediate possession.
• All houses are well finished and fully built.

STEPS TO TAKE

Send an email to info@ownwithease.com with your budget as we have different house types to choose from.

NOTE
• All properties are located on the island.
• Properties available are within the price range of N35,000,000.00 to N55,000,000.00
• Available house types are Duplexes, Semi-detached Duplexes and Terraces.
• Approval of request is based on availability of property and eligibility of client.

FOR ENQUIRIES : kindly send an email to - info@ownwithease.com
Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by OWNwithEASE: 8:36am On Apr 23, 2016
FOR ENQUIRIES : kindly send an email to - info@ownwithease.com
Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by enoqueen: 8:47am On Apr 23, 2016
My landlord starts asking for rent and threatening quit notice the very day house rent expires.
Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by AdelokikiMr(m): 9:08am On Apr 23, 2016
Well I really don't have much experience, am presently living with a friend in 2bed room apartment and this is our first year after college , my landlord doesn't live with us but the daughter does and she's just more than a landlord putting pressure on us so we both decide to just focus on owning our own house the 2nd year and glory be to God we've both pass the level of foundation , I just prayed God help us finish what he started In Our lives cause we are even yet to get a job and thins are going smoothly as we both believe in being self employed... Thank you .

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by nkemdi89(f): 9:15am On Apr 23, 2016
Some people will remain tenants despite they are landlords, nature of one's also has a lot to do when it comes to building and living in your house. Due to transfers most time it's difficult to settle down in a place until after retirement, I believe this thread is for those whose job are domiciled in a particular place for years or are self employed.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by iyaayi(f): 9:19am On Apr 23, 2016
My landlord would begin disturbing with demand for payment calls the moment the rent expires. Rent increases yearly even though there is no water nor other facilities to warrant such. At a time, he increased the rent because the government tarred the access road to the house. I decided to build my own house when he became amorous! I suspended my project in my hometown and commenced a bungalow in the town I was living. I packed in after managing to floor, plaster and put in Windows and access doors only. My rent wasn't yet due when I left his house but I held on to the keys til well beyond due date!

5 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by ricy20(f): 9:53am On Apr 23, 2016
yes most landlord are not good i no but staying in my own father house was hell due to the kind of tenants we have, because the landlord was very nice that they took it for granted to pay rent problem pay nepa bil trouble. Just because landlord does not knock on ur door, mean while in school the house i rented was to expire january because i did not come and pack december my load are no were to be found til today. So not all landlord are wicked when u no the right thing to do do it and take that place and keep it in other just like u would do your own.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by ojabel(m): 10:25am On Apr 23, 2016
Real Estate is one investment that you can depend upon in this season of recession.

We have Cheap & Affordable Plots of Land Suitable for Residential, School, Farm, Factory, Hotel, Resort, Co-operative, Church, Camp etc available for sale at our estates in the following location:
Nitel Estate, Ikd from #6m
Ewu-Elepe, Ikd from #3m
Simawa Ewu-losi, back of Redemption camp. From #300k
Mowo-Nla, Ikd from #400k
Agbowa, Ikd from #400k
Ofada, along Papalanto Sagamu Exp rd from #300k
Agunloye- Lugbusi, Ikd from #450k
Igbalu, Ikd from #350k
Emuren Road, Ikd from #300k
Ewu-Oloye Maya, Ikd from 280k
Oke-eletu Estate, Ikd from #2.6m
Odelemo: close to Agowa from #250k
Imota, Ikd from #250k

Benefits:
* Free From Land Speculators (Omo-oniles)
* Land Free From Government Acquisition.
* Deed of Assignment with survey Available at a Fee
* Good Layout/Earth Road
* Free Inspection: Monday through Saturday.
* Few plots Available

Price from #250,000 depending on the LOCATION!

*No matter your budget there's something for you!

For enquiry & clarifications Feel Free to Contact us ABEL on: 08023599385, 09092578141.

An Opportunity To Become A Landlord!
Powered By: www.ruthlandestate.com
Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by Dejijossy(m): 10:28am On Apr 23, 2016
When I was a tenant, I usually have issues with my neighbours based on car parking.
I am a field engineer and I go out anytime be it day or night. I live in compound with 14 flats and the provided parking space is for max of 10 cars.
Most time I had to start knocking 2-3 door before going out. This is what prompted me to build my own personal house

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by 400billionman: 11:03am On Apr 23, 2016
Thuz sayz the man of god.

I will be building every year henceforth.

Seriously i packed from a palatial rented apartment to a two room place looking like a poultry farm.

I told myself that was the last time i was paying a landlord for a house.

Thunder has fired poverty.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by Debbieo(f): 11:29am On Apr 23, 2016
angryWell this question brought back old memories, when I stayed in a rented apartment,I always paid my rent even before it expires, I made sure I call my land lady to ask her if she needs money, so I can pay for 6mnths ahead.sm times she comes to me for asistance,( to borrow money) sm times, I give her and tell her to jst remove it from my next rent, well I lost my job 2yrs ago,all of a sudden and that month I was to pay for my rent, I had to give her 25% of d rent money so I can @least manage with d balance, pending on wen I get another job, 3 mnths later d land lady kept distrubing me about money,etc, I begged her to be patient that I was seriously searching for a job, but for were, she didn't even listen, to an extent any time my phone rings, I don't have rest of mind, because it might be her, asking for rent. To cut the story short, I had to pack out so I cud hv peace of mind, kept my load in other peoples houses and stayed with sm1 I barely no, for 3mnths, b4 I got another job, I promised myself I will mk sure I build my own house, so I won't have to go through that expisode again. Belive me it was frustrating.well I became 31 sm few days ago, and to God be the glory, am about to finish my 3bed room flat in some few days.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by hrhobi1(m): 12:06pm On Apr 23, 2016
I never rented house, I was lucky or so I taught to have a room in my family house . I was there for 5 years, then the embarrassing period started from cousins who will decide to hold political and cult meetings in the parlour of the flat I stay downstairs, I furnished the house fixed everything only for outsiders to use the parlour nd kitchen all because na big bros cousin friends them be. If I off my gen while dem dey parlour na big issue.

And so somehow some way Jehovah Almighty Osinachi my life via a contract from my late dad's best friend and I now reside in my own 4 bedroom en-suite bungalow. Every morning I wake up I just open my window look up to heaven and say Thank u jesus.

8 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by mfm04622: 12:49pm On Apr 23, 2016
I will thank God my landlord pushed me out of his house. It is a long story.
I was transferred to Kaduna in 2008 and from history, I expected I won't stay for more than 2 years. I was building a 2 bedroom BQ at the back of my land in Ikorodu at the time. I also had a 3 bedroom flat I bought on mortgage in Ogun State. I had no plan of building anything in Kaduna. When I packed in, I paid 120k, after 3 months, landlord came and increased it to 150k and I had to pay the balance. He increased it yearly from then. From 150k to 200k to 250k to 300k. When it got to 300, w complained an he promised to provide borehole for the house. The house is 2 blocks on 2 floors. Each block has 4 flats. He started the borehole but didn't finish. When it was near the time for next rent, he wanted to continue but was told the borehole has collapsed and he has to start all over again. He now said we the tenants destroyed it and we have to pay for it! He gave us all quit notices. After begging he shared the money to us and I paid my part. Only one person didn't pay and he packed out. It took a month of begging for him to agree, within that time, I had started looking for another place. People started asking me why can't I buy land and build my own house. When he agreed, I looked for land and started building my own house. I moved into it in April 2014. I was expecting to stay only 2 years in Kaduna, I have stayed over 8 years! I had abandoned my Ikorodu land since. So I thank God my landlord pushed me into having a house in Kaduna

7 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by wins18(m): 1:47pm On Apr 23, 2016
my brother its a long story
Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by Chukzyfcb(m): 1:53pm On Apr 23, 2016
One advice I'v for young men and prospective landlords....before you build a house for you to live in & call your HOME, FIRST OF ALL build something that you can rent to earn a passive Income. Even if its a bungalow, I tell you it is a win-win situation. With time you'll use the rent money to build your own home.
If unfortunately, u have an accident that made you unable to work, or you died leaving behind your YOUNG WIFE & CHILD to just a house. It is that passive income you created that'll keep them going.

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by moag(m): 2:20pm On Apr 23, 2016
Wait o,must you wait until somebody abuse you or give you notice before planning to own a house?If you fail to plan for the raining season you will soon realize you re planning for failure already.
Remember a home of your own is also an asset you can always leverage when the need arises. Plan for your house,no matter how, I think more than 2months salary for par annul rent is not advice able as you are not expected to stay in rented house for the rest of your life. Before I bought my own house,i stayed in a company rented 3bedroom which the rent age was almost my salary in Gwarinpa Estate.I knew I can mentain such an accommodation when eventually the company is tired of me or vice visa.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by baslone: 3:04pm On Apr 23, 2016
Here....
baslone:

Life experiences actually helps in making decisions. I personally have never had good experiences with landlords.

In my very last experience, my landlady increased my house rent at Gbagada from N1M to N1.5M just because i bought an expensive SUV while my neighbour, a pastor who leaves in same prototype apartment was paying 750k per annum.

That alone was enough to motivate me to move to the next level and I have never had any regrets.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by ffo(m): 5:05pm On Apr 23, 2016
I'm tired of paying more than half a million (3 month gross of my salary) as rent every year. I've gotten plot already and will start building this month by Gods grace.
Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by promofleetmc: 5:52pm On Apr 23, 2016
I had a very bitter experience in my 1st & only rented apartment.As a 26 yr bachelor and good biz.I rented a 2 bedroom apartment from an Ijebu woman in Igando.Behold my bathroom pipe was layed through the living room.It got blocked and I had to bathe in a basin and pour the waste in d closets for months as d solution was breaking d living room tiles and fix d blockages which I refused cos I knew she wudnt fix it.My mum came visiting and told me' though it's bad to be too comfortable in another man's house but my health here is at risk'
I moved out after living there for 8months with hard labour and wasted resources.In the course of renting another apartment,I saw an uncompleted building for sale for N450k which was my budget for another flat.I quickly baught it.Make it habitable and moved in.Na so Baba God take help me scale that fence o!
Another opportunity came to buy the front piece of the whole land as the one I baught earlier was a qtr plot like a bq but contained a sizeable 3 bedroom and 3 cars.I rebuff the offer cos it means I have to starve for more year(s) besides I needed to change my car.I called in my best friend to come and benefit this offer since he was still a tenant provided he will also build a bungalow so there will be room for ventilation.Behold after the guy put few blocks for ground,na duplex he mount.That covered my house and no more air and beauty.I told myself fighting this guy will hold no water as his plot is not mine and will never be.My newly married wife told me,man that means u have to build another house and na so I became uncomfortable for my own house.After 6yrs in the dungeon,I was able to build a duplex with 2 adjoining flats for rent and let out the old one.
Always believe in God,develop interest in owning a house and never mind where d location of ur first house cud be but d next.Avoid pessimist,avoid expensive cars and be modest,u will build urs.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by ffo(m): 6:07pm On Apr 23, 2016
I'm tired of paying more than half a million (3 month gross of my salary) as rent every year. I've gotten plot already and will start building this month by Gods grace.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by glossy6(f): 8:43pm On Apr 23, 2016
As Igbo family, we compared paying rent at Egbeda then and buying a land and opted for the later. Our landlord (May God bless his soul) got us a corner piece measuring 155 by 60 & also moulded the blocks for us as a moulder.

Today we have 6 tenants (5 flats & 1 self con ) while I and my family balance for the massive 4bd dey collect breeze anyhow

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by cooldipo(m): 8:48pm On Apr 23, 2016
I find many of the contributions on this thread interesting and quite motivational......we will get there.....in the mean time....let's keep the hustle clean!

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by Buildertobadt: 9:40pm On Apr 23, 2016
Wow!...Wow!!....These experiences shared are nothing but amazing and really insightful and inspirational. Kudos to the OP and those who did share to help others. May God bless our dreams and aspirations.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by detee2: 10:26pm On Apr 23, 2016
Resourceful and inspiring thread I must say!!!

There is always a kind of joy and peace attached to owning your own roof.

I'm gonna share my own testimony soon by God's grace.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by OCTAVO: 10:51pm On Apr 23, 2016
I have learnt many things from this thread. What a great inspiration!
Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by Nobody: 11:32am On Apr 24, 2016
Jarus:
Not my primary motivation, but the tendency of one of my co-tenants to lord over the compound as if he's the landlord and form fake big man, was a secondary motivation.

A compound of 4 3-bedroom flats, the landlord staying abroad. This guy just lords over everyone and thinks of himself as the landlord. He's particular in fake rivalry with me (my family). Someone that is as much as 10 years older than me for that matter.

Well, he just saw me (my family) moving out of that house one day to our own house which is just a stone throw from that rented house. He can continue to lord over another man's house, at least he now knows who is bigger.

That was even my second house. Finished the first 3 years earlier in my hometwon.

cheesy grin this one done pass atom's [small ant] weight - just sayin'

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by olorogun1: 11:52am On Apr 24, 2016
Having a house of your own is one of the best achievement in life,no matter the level of your qualifications academically it can never be transferred to your children even to your children's children,as inheritance,then no matter how strong or hardworking you're now,a time will surely come when you'll not be as active as you were now,so it's always good to plan for the old age,and one of the ways you can do that is setting aside certain amount from whatever you're earning/making while you're still working,also always have it in mind that no place is too far to build your own house,the fact that you're working on the island and somebody is telling you of an opportunity to own a land in agbara and you're like agbara is too far,remember if you don't leave that job,the job will eventually leave you someday,it's what you're able to achieve when doing the job that you'll be left with,so many people are found of living a fake or make believe life,you want your friends/colleague to feel you're doing well by living in high rated areas and these so call friends will not be there to assist you when you're left with nothing later in life,I always tell people that are close to me,if your landlord or landlady is too nice to you please be very careful because you might not see reason to plan for your own future because you'll be too comfortable,so it's always good if the landlord or landlady is f*****ing wicked,infact you'll not wait to exhaust your rent before you flee the apartment,by the time you live in about three apartment in a year or two,you get motivated to start doing something for yourself no matter how small your pay is.(leave the grammar/errors but get the message) mind you if you need cheap but genuine properties in and around Lagos.arcview investment Limited is positioned to work with your budget (08060639740)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by Jarus(m): 2:12pm On Apr 24, 2016
oyb:

cheesy grin this one done pass atom's [small ant] weight - just sayin'

May God forgive us jare.Some people can be very annoying.
Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by Cribpark: 7:40pm On Apr 24, 2016
As OP, I would like to appreciate all the experiences shared on this tread. Also the the like, shares and other comments on comments. Many lessons to pick from all these but we all know that action is the bridge between dreams and realities. May God bless our efforts towards achieving our dreams. Cheers!

FOR YOUR VERY AFFORDABLE AND QUALITY BUILDING MATERIALS SUCH AS GRANITE, CEMENT, SAND, WOOD, DOORS, ROOFING ITEMS AND EVEN INTERIOR FURNISHING ITEMS (DELIVERED ON TIME AND NO EXTRA DELIVERY COSTS), PLEASE CONTACT CRIBPARK (WWW.CRIBPARK.COM) BY CALLING DARE ON 08068839618 OR JIDE ON 07056556189. YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID. THANKS.

Re: Share Your Experience As A Tenant That Made You Decide To Become A Landlord by Buildertobadt: 11:37am On Apr 25, 2016
From all the experiences shared, I can say that indeed, having a personal owned roof over one's head is one of the greatest joys in life...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Grandeur Estate Abijo GRA , with C Of 0 buy & build / ,, / Our Solar Street Light.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.