Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,605 members, 7,809,213 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man (30210 Views)

Five Christians To Die By Hanging For Killing Fulani Herdsman / Lady Stabs Her Lover To Death In Benue, Watches Him Die For 9 Hours / Benue Killing: Fulani Blame Hostilities On Government Draconian Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by LoveJesus87(m): 6:32pm On Apr 22, 2016
LMAyedun:
That man mustn't die! Who will die for the Ondo state farmers' killings? Who will die for the Agatu killings? Who will die for the Kogi west killings? Who will die for the Oyo state killings?
I will rather die with this Man than watch this injustice go just like that..
Who is with me on this?
Me oo!
Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by krak101(m): 6:39pm On Apr 22, 2016
MadCow1:
Fhuck the free world.. angry

where he claimed to have shot Mohammed on the chest for straying into his (Afolabi’s) yam and cassava farm on February 27, 2009.

In fairness, he deserves jail time for shooting an unarmed man. That is straight MURDER 1.

But what I don't understand is if the Man did not have the right to shoot a trespasser?

But if the trespasser had no formal warning or a sign warning him not to trespass, then I guess it could be argued that he didnt know he was trespassing.

Under what conditions did the Farmer open fire on the Herdsman? ...

Pfft.. The law is a biicth no doubt.
Bro have you seen a Fulani man without at least a cutlass Do you need a sign post to warn you not to enter somebodys farm and graze your cattle I think sentencing that man to death is rash no matter what. At least not in this era of herdsmen displaying madness

1 Like

Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by hausameat: 6:45pm On Apr 22, 2016
admax:
I don't have an issue with this judgement as he was found guilty by the law but i need to understand why is this law is selective? We have heard series of mayhem committed by the Fulani's all around the country but i am yet to hear that they were caught and charged to court!

Are the Fulani's ghost that cannot be arrested or too powerful to be arrested?/
You are asking if Fulanis are to powerful abi? Which ethnic group does Buhari, your president belong to? I hope you are also aware that Buhari is also an Islamist? That apart, he was also a quota Army Military General. Just evaluate if an individual belong to all these groups, what is about being powerful here?
Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by hausameat: 6:53pm On Apr 22, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

How would you split the country?

I really want to know.

On to the case...

From the above subject matter...

1.The fulani guy strayed into Mr Afolabi's farm

2.Mr Afolabi shot him.

3.I am not a lawyer...but for a case of self defence, the defendant would have had to establish that his life was reasonably at that point in danger from the Fulani man at that point in time. Seems like the Fulani gent was not armed.

4.The question for the court was ''Did Mr Afolabi intend to kill the Fulani man when he aimed his gun at him? The Court says...yes. (Personally, I think he did not intend to kill him....but what do I know? No witnesses).

5.In conclusion....tough case.

6.To those saying that the court is being partial...if the Court had ruled in favor of Mr Afolabi....it would have meant that if you accidentally trespass on a farmer's farm....and the farmer shoots you dead....your family could have a difficult time pursuing a case of murder (Our legal system is based on English common law....which is precedent heavy)

7.Mr Afolabi should not have shot the fulani...but should have reported the case to the Police. How the Police and our legal system would have handled the case if that had happened is a subject for another day.

8.While not jsutifying murder. I think that Mr Afolabi has been let down by the system. He at the very least deserves a pardon.

9.While we shout about Agatu....rightly...we should also remember that Fulanis too get killed and their cattle stolen. And most times, they too get poorly served by the law...which leads them to take the law into their own hands...and thus Agatu.

Bunny ears lawyer QT 's summation.
Wetin you dey talk sef? If you sight any Fulani man in your farm, provided he is a typical Fulani man, especially those Fulani in which Buhari belong to, what are you expect to do? To me, it is either you take to your heels or you fire at him because he, Fulani man will NEVER spare you if he is the first to see you. They are the most wicked people.
Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by kcsider: 7:00pm On Apr 22, 2016
The Fulani man goes unpunished because no one has taken them to court. In fact you can't even see them not to talk of taking them to court. They do not have address as roam about
Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by FlyoruB: 7:00pm On Apr 22, 2016
Oxenomy:
And why will the coward make a confessional statement to the police? He shot himself in the foot in the first place! As you can see, my brother's hands are tied! .. Btw are you in support of the land grabbing bill?
You and your blodas are all a bunch of loudmouthed empty chest-beating hypocrites. Simple.

@nnokwa042: At least the farmer showed some balls unlike your 042 blodas getting butchered on their own farms, kidnapped, and beech-slapped on a regular by rampaging herdsmen, only for the bloody cowards to send their wives to Enugu state assembly to wail on their behalf. Smh.
Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by Nobody: 7:03pm On Apr 22, 2016
hausameat:
Wetin you dey talk sef? If you sight any Fulani man in your farm, provided he is a typical Fulani man, especially those Fulani in which Buhari belong to, what are you expect to do? To me, it is either you take to your heels or you fire at him because he, Fulani man will NEVER spare you if he is the first to see you. They are the most wicked people.

Speaking form personal experience, having lived up North....Fulanis used to get into our farms sometimes.(We lived on the outskirts of a Northern city...so we had a small farm). They usually left after we warned them, and they did so quickly.

And most of them were not armed by the way.

Now this happened back in the 1990's....and back then there were farmer -fulani confrontations .One famous case involved a Borno farmer who was shot in the eye by a Fulani Herdsman....with a poisoned arrow...and who died after several weeks. (Was on NTA).

Now...if the Fulani man in the case we are discussing was armed....then we can say you are right. However...there is no evidence he was armed...and shooting him for invading the farm was not right.

And if the Court set Afolabi free....it could lead to anarchy. Anyone can shoot dead anyone...not just Fulanis mind you...anyone....trespassing his land, unarmed...and not get prosecuted because of ''the precedence set in the Afolabi case''.

In my opinion, Afolabi should have gone and reported the FUlani to the Police. The fact that he did not shows that our law enforcement has to be more prompt in responding to such cases...especially when it is one Fulani....one farmer. That Mr Afolabi pulled the trigger shows he did not trust the police.(which is why I advocated for pardon....it was the system that let him down really).

But that does not mean that the Fulani man should be shot dead. For all we know...he accidentally strayed in and was moving out his cows when he was shot. And a lot of Fulanis get killed by farmers (and in the NE...by Bokoists.). Police again does not intervene...so they take the laws into their own hands...and we have disasters like Agatu.

All in all the Court made the right decision. It is up to our Government to see that laws are enforced at the right time...not when it is too late.
Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by hausameat: 7:05pm On Apr 22, 2016
HammerTheirPapa:
So a yorubaman will die for defending himself and his family from armed invaders. Chai yorubas have really suffered. Fulanis know yoruba necks have enough space to take plenty fulani shiit that's why fulanis keep shiiting it.

Can they publicly sentence an Igbo man publicly to death for defending what him and his family will eat against a fulani cow?

What yorubas have sown for years is what we are now reaping after shouting down Igbos whenever they stand up to fulanis.

Easterners should close their mouths and not interfere in this case, we yorubas need to be taught a bitter lesson about the price of being cowards and backstabbers. I trust the East won't tolerate this if it was an Igbo, Efik, or Ijaw.
Let me ask you. Who jailed Obasanjo, who jailed Oladopo Diya, a general in the army. Who kidnapped that old former secreatary to the federal government. Are these not prominent yoruba people?
Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by jordinsparkles(f): 7:13pm On Apr 22, 2016
You kill by the sword, you die by the sword. Law of karma
Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by jordinsparkles(f): 7:13pm On Apr 22, 2016
You kill by the sword, you die by the sword.
Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by sidneyj(m): 7:14pm On Apr 22, 2016
INDUSTRIALFAN:
A man who thinks well.... you deserve a medal for not talking like many on this thread who only think in the surface.... Nice....
I wanted to reply the first person but I think u deserve the reply for liking what that foriegner typed.. before I give u my reply I want u to pick up ur br@in from the floor where u let it.. I know u will do the same if someone left the pen where animals suppose to be and decide to use ur farm as a playing ground for cows...... question for ur mentor above.. what is the different between cow(fulani herdsmen) and bull(policemen)?
Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by Progressive01(m): 7:22pm On Apr 22, 2016
mhunkey:
What the fvck is this !!!
Is the fulani man not a nigerian ?
we all know murder means death sentence
The fact there are bandit amongst the fulanis doesn't mean every fulani man is evil !!!!

You don't expect me to refer to every ND man as a militant !!

The headline should be changed please !
Stop dividing us for fvck sake!
This is just how perverted the mind of the average Nigerian has become. I wanted to believe the Op coined that title but seeing it came from thisday itself, I almost threw up in disgust!

What's the point adding a "fulani man" to the title. It was a murder that was committed- since when do tribes matter??

When reverend King was sentenced to death, were the tribes of those he killed or molested stated as a point of note??

When Ibinabo was sentenced to death, was tribe taken into account??

Why do they have to tell us this time it was a fulani man that was murdered as though he was sentenced to death because the victim is a fulani man

This terrible journalism.

2 Likes

Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by piagetskinner(m): 7:26pm On Apr 22, 2016
Abeg how many herdsmen have so far been arrested??

The govt is just stu.pidly biased
Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by Nobody: 7:45pm On Apr 22, 2016
mhunkey:
What the fvck is this !!!
Is the fulani man not a nigerian ?
we all know murder means death sentence
The fact there are bandit amongst the fulanis doesn't mean every fulani man is evil !!!!

You don't expect me to refer to every ND man as a militant !!

The headline should be changed please !
Stop dividing us for fvck sake!

Please i don't know if the mods have the power to change someone's moniker on NL? If it is possible, can someone please remove the "hu" from this guy's name and replace it with the letter "o"

1 Like

Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by Elhabeeb1(m): 8:43pm On Apr 22, 2016
All those who wish to be foreigners please I beg you, carry your belongings and move down to your Kingdom, it will be stupid of you to be advocating for secession while living somewhere north or west of your most hated place. When men were men, they did not make this stupid noise on the TV and Radio alone they just declared it. So please go and declear it and stop disturbing us on NAIRALAND.
P.s NAIRALAND.
Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by McSterling(m): 8:51pm On Apr 22, 2016
Chai! This is glaring injustice! The law has become unjust! Nigerians, how long will we take this bullsheet?! How long?!?
Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by agbamaso: 8:52pm On Apr 22, 2016
Injustice in the land, book harm kill innocent people later came up surrender were pardoned and kept in secret camp. Fulani kill Agatu people yet no arrest, killed other villagers in other states yet no comment. God is watching oooooo
Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by juman(m): 8:56pm On Apr 22, 2016
Kai.
Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by Wyttcat: 9:07pm On Apr 22, 2016
The so called "southern" judge(s) could have commuted the sentence to life at most, but they couldn't, their master's will reigns supreme. Let me hear some pseudo "south unity" again. What this Okoro of a judge doesn't get is that, it happened to the nose today, but tomorrow could be to the ears. What happened to self defense, insanity and accidental shooting due to panic attack. What about coerced confession through torture? I've always said that if an ethnic group absolutely has to be railroaded, it will be Yoruba. Yoruba are not watching their own back and very vulnerable in a 'dog eat dog' country like Nigeria. The man defended himself, who wouldn't? Where are kogi Yoruba? You must keep fighting for this with any and everything. Ask for help from neighboring SWstern states, raise funds and lock this down in court. Know one thing, only Yoruba can be treated this way. Let's get international human rights involved. All right now, don't sit on it. Who is representing this man? Who are his lawyers? This man must Not die, if he dies, Yoruba will become endangered people who can no longer defend themselves on their own turf. Yoruba integrity and dignity die if this man dies for this. This case hasn't been proven beyond reasonable doubt, what they had was just a kangaroo court's drive thru. We are talking about human life here, what if this is being used to send message that fulani are untouchables?

1 Like

Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by Nusaf: 9:14pm On Apr 22, 2016
admax:
I don't have an issue with this judgement as he was found guilty by the law but i need to understand why is this law is selective? We have heard series of mayhem committed by the Fulani's all around the country but i am yet to hear that they were caught and charged to court!

Are the Fulani's ghost that cannot be arrested or too powerful to be arrested?/
I am completely against the mayhem unleashed by fulanis in some quarters in recent times but one thing u should know is that more often than not, they (fulanis) carry out these activities without leaving any trace. And it is not logical to start arresting any fulani man without any evidence of his involvement.
Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by chidozieikeji2: 10:01pm On Apr 22, 2016
We need to start an online appeal to the govt to free dis innocent man try and pass the message to the world through watsap,twitter,facebook etc make it to go viral just like bring back our girls campaigh let's use the power of social network to free dis man if u are in support hit like and spread

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by bikefab(m): 10:03pm On Apr 22, 2016
The only solution to some levels of sanity here is to divide this country. Quote me.
Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by Gamesmart: 10:26pm On Apr 22, 2016
LMAyedun:
That man mustn't die!
Who will die for the Ondo state farmers' killings?
Who will die for the Agatu killings?
Who will die for the Kogi west killings?
Who will die for the Oyo state killings?

I will rather die with this Man than watch this injustice go just like that..

Who is with me on this?

Please ensure you don't back down on this.

If you back down, then you have insulted all your ancestors.

If this man is put to death and you don't die too, then you be baastard.
Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by FULANIGERIA: 10:28pm On Apr 22, 2016
Mekky2010:
By Tobi Soniyi
The Supreme Court has affirmed the death sentence handed out to a farmer and father of five, James Afolabi, by the Kogi State High Court and the Court of Appeal.
In a unanimous judgment delivered on Friday, a five-man panel of the apex court held that there was no basis to disturb the concurrent finding of the trial and lower courts in their previous judgments.
Afolabi, from Kogi State, was convicted and sentenced to death by the Kogi State High Court, Lokoja in 2012 having been found guilty for the murder of a Fulani man, Abubakar Mohammed.

The court relied on Afolabi’s confessional statement to the police, where he claimed to have shot Mohammed on the chest for straying into his (Afolabi’s) yam and cassava farm on February 27, 2009.
The Court of Appeal, Abuja on March 22, 2012 dismissed his appeal and upheld the decision of the trial court, a decision he appealed to the Supreme Court.

On Friday, Justice John Inyang Okoro, in the lead judgment in the appeal marked: SC/181/2012, held that although the prosecution could not produce an eye witness at trial, it provided sufficient evidence, through its witnesses, “which gave vent to the confession of the appellant.
“And in any case, this court held in Mohammed v State (2007) 11 NWLR (pt 1045) 303 at 230 paragraph F that where an accused person confesses to a crime, in the absence of an eye witness of the killing, he can be convicted on his confession alone.
“For all I have said, I hold a strong view that the court below was on a strong wicket when it upheld the conviction and sentencing of the appellant upon reliance on his confessional statements,” he said.

Justice Okoro also sided with the lower court in concluding that the intention of the appellant was to kill the victim.
“In the instant case, the appellant states emphatically, in Exhibit D (confessional statement), adjudged to have been freely and voluntarily made, that he aimed his gun at the chest of the deceased at close range and shot him.
“It was his further evidence that the deceased fell down and could not move again. At that point, he ran to the village head and reported that he had killed a man.

“In the circumstance, did he intend to kill the man? I had earlier stated in this judgment that a person is taken to intend that natural and probable consequences of his act.
“So, when the appellant aimed his gun at the chest of the deceased and shot it, did he intend to keep him alive? I do not think so. At least he intended to cause him grievous bodily harm.

“And, in view of the force of a gunshot aimed at the heart, the engine room of a man’s life, it can safely be concluded that the appellant intends to kill the deceased on his action, the report he made to the village head notwithstanding.

MORE TO FOLLOW

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/04/22/man-to-die-for-killing-fulani-man/
No infidel kills a Fulani man and go scottfree. Sound judgment.
Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by TolaniLuv: 11:56pm On Apr 22, 2016
Most Fulani I know. They don't have Nigerian passport and only few has ID. Who dem wan catch? They don't have a home. Most are homeless
Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by adeusolu: 4:48am On Apr 23, 2016
FULANIGERIA:
No infidel kills a Fulani man and go scottfree. Sound judgment.
DONT WORRY, BRO THE REAL KILLING OF FULANI KILLERS IS AROUND THE CORNER I HOPE YOU WILL BE AROUND!
Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by Blessograo(f): 6:14am On Apr 23, 2016
insted of ppl to comment they call lalasticlala, o ga oo
Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by ozoemenafn: 6:28am On Apr 23, 2016
At least you can see the wickedness of these people the injustice and their unfair judgement
Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by Joe4real701(m): 8:17am On Apr 23, 2016
Bro u dey vex oooooo,take am easy
tigerclaws:
grin

and agatu killers are still roaming about and be treated like kings. that's where you'll see how professional policemen are in handling them with kids gloves they come at night and massacre you kidnap and demand ransom, carry Ak 47 raffle without license rape and destroy farmland and go free not even a word from their own called bullharry yet in all this if you retaliate either you go to jail or sentence to death now they are planning on giving them official license to take your land while you watch and do nothing.

I will never recognize these people as a fellow country men and any right thinking SE/SS that sees all this and still shout and believe in this pit hole Nigeria is a bastard and a product of dog's sperm.
i have said my own
Nigeria is not my country because I can't be part of this impunity and injustice I can never share the same country with licensed murderers

1 Like

Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by FULANIGERIA: 10:20pm On Apr 24, 2016
adeusolu:
DONT WORRY, BRO THE REAL KILLING OF FULANI KILLERS IS AROUND THE CORNER I HOPE YOU WILL BE AROUND!
We shall see who will cry cry cry
Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 8:35am On Apr 25, 2016
krak101:
Bro have you seen a Fulani man without at least a cutlass Do you need a sign post to warn you not to enter somebodys farm and graze your cattle I think sentencing that man to death is rash no matter what. At least not in this era of herdsmen displaying madness
and the man killing the Fulani man wasn't rash? SMH....
Re: Man To Die For Killing Fulani Man by oweman: 4:25pm On May 27, 2017
how many fulani men will be killed for wiping

''''''''''''''''''''''''''""""""
How many of this Fulani killings are real and not fallacy ? Remember when Arashe as the IGP went to Makurdi asking the state governor the site for the mass burials of the suppose massacre of Tivs or the mortuary the bodies are kept the governor never gave an answer so also the The commissioner for health and even the state commissioner of police said he is yet to be lbriefed by the DPO of the area the killing took place .
Most of this stories are fiction .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Driver Strips Unclad, Climbs His Bus After It Was Impounded By Traffic Officers / Dangote Truck Carrying Marijuana In Edo Busted By NDLEA (Video) / Court Convicts Yahoo Boy Acting As A U.S Army Injured In Afghanistan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.