Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,647 members, 7,809,443 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:41 AM

10 Myths We Grew Up Believing As Kids In Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 10 Myths We Grew Up Believing As Kids In Nigeria (2148 Views)

Nigerians Who Ever Thought Of Running Away From Home As Kids Share Their Stories / 12 Photos You Can Relate With If You Grew Up With A Nigerian Step Mom / 17 Pictures That Will Only Make Sense To People Who Grew Up In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Myths We Grew Up Believing As Kids In Nigeria by McBrooklyn(m): 1:17pm On Apr 23, 2016
Growing up in Nigeria is definitely interesting. Children were made to believe different myths for one reason or the other. Parents and the elders of the society come up with different stories for children, these myths have been passed from generation to generation.
Most people still do not know if these things happen in reality or not. But people still end up saying them even as adults.
Check out some of the common myths you must have grown up hearing as a Nigerian:

1. You must not sit on the mortar
Most homes have mortar and pestle as pounded yam is wildly eaten in every part of Nigeria. The mortar for its round structure could be seen as a stool and people often sit on them.
Growing up, it was believed that if you sit on the mortar, your butt would swell. Many people would have known by now that this is not true. Elders probably said this for us to learn to keep the mortar clean and to avoid breaking air into it.

2. If you beat a boy with broom, his penis would be affected
Now this is hilarious. Most men still avoid being beaten by broom till now for fear of having a shrunk penis. This myth is so popular most people do not know if it happens for real or not.
Moreover, no one is ready to experiment since an important organ is involved. Men do not even like people teasing them with being beaten by broomstick.

3. Coconut water makes you a dullard
Many children were made to believe drinking coconut water would make them dull. Many people end up wasting the water in the coconut and go for the flesh of the coconut itself because they do not want to be stupid.

4. If you eat the eye of fish, you will become an ‘olodo’
The head of fish was dreaded by most people while growing up as a regular Nigerian kid because of this myth. This is because, the eye of a fish is presumed to make one fail in school if eaten.
There were even songs sang to children who failed in school as a result of them eating the eye of a fish. Till date, most people still avoid eating that part of the fish and pop out the eye before eating. Some even avoid the entire head.

5. If you look at your shadow at night you will have bad dreams
Many children were told this myth and they avoided looking at their shadows at night so they would not have nightmares.
The shadows were presumed to be scary and many children even cried upon seeing their shadows.

6. Collecting rainwater from the rooftop with your hand could kill you
Children were told this myth about the thunder and lightning striking anyone who collected water with his hands from the rooftop. Most families put out bowls and buckets to fetch water from the rooftop when it starts to rain.
Most children enjoy playing in the rain and collecting water from the rooftop with their curved palms is their idea of perfect fun. This myth however made most children shiver at the thought of being killed while doing so.

7. Whistling at night brings in snakes
Many of us still believe in this myth. Whistling at night makes your house opened to snakes as they would crawl in at the sound of your whistle.
Children were also warned to avoid blowing whistle in the night for the same reason.

8. Seeing the sun when it is raining means the lion is giving birth
Most people believed this myth so much they still say it as adults. Seeing the sun shine at the same time when the rain falls is overwhelming. The best interpretation for this then was that the lion was giving birth.

9. Sleeping with legs on the wall means you are a witch
Many sleep in different positions; having a bed put up beside a wall may prompt most people to want to put their legs on the wall.
Being caught in this position by anyone means you are a witch. And worse still, you have gone to attend meeting with your witchcraft members.

10. Singing to the egret would make your nails white
The egret is the bird often seen when cattle herds drive their cows around. Most children believe singing a song to the egret would make your nails have white spot in them.
This myth was so believed, children would leave their playing ground to sing to the egrets so they could have whiter nails.

You can also add your's cool

cc: lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: 10 Myths We Grew Up Believing As Kids In Nigeria by Cutehector(m): 1:19pm On Apr 23, 2016
Hahahahaha number 8 got me laffing grin cheesy

Seeing chekeleke bird flying means that we will have new set of fingernails grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Myths We Grew Up Believing As Kids In Nigeria by Mediapace: 1:20pm On Apr 23, 2016
I was fooled by all when i was young especially joy.stick stuff .
Though i was stubborn,i practiced those 10 and nothing happened :

11.Merely touching a girl will make her pregnant :
Since the day i heard this,i don't even touch them !

12.A male must not serve himself from a pot :
Ah Ah Ah ,dem no want make i steal meat again,they came up with this

13.Any food after 8pm is a poison :
Although,scientist still prove this till date,me never believe am,am a glu*on i even eat 1am sef

14.We were genius when we are in school :
My father : I was the head boy of my school,i was brilliant like ...

My mother : I was the headgirl,i always answer most of the questions in class

I go be like :

@ pics below wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Myths We Grew Up Believing As Kids In Nigeria by hopeforcharles(m): 1:27pm On Apr 23, 2016
Lol I had my personal beliefs too,
Like women don't fall down
Women don't steal
Women don't fart
And some silly once now I no the better
Re: 10 Myths We Grew Up Believing As Kids In Nigeria by gabylzy(m): 1:34pm On Apr 23, 2016
Touch a girl nd she is pregnant grin grin
Re: 10 Myths We Grew Up Believing As Kids In Nigeria by Stanleywaxy(m): 1:36pm On Apr 23, 2016
Lol ... Very true . Grew up believing that when you bend over and take a look between your legs in a market that you'll see ghosts ...
Re: 10 Myths We Grew Up Believing As Kids In Nigeria by Ginaz(f): 1:40pm On Apr 23, 2016
There was a day my grandpa beat me when I behaved naughty, I was crying and disturbing the peace of the house that night. My grandmother then called me and said, ' don't you know that it is forbidden to cry in the night? If you cry millipedes will enter your bumbum '' .

I kept quiet immediately and went to sleep. Till today I still believe it sef.
Re: 10 Myths We Grew Up Believing As Kids In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:00pm On Apr 23, 2016
Haha i still believe that number 8.
McBrooklyn:

9. Sleeping with legs on the wall means you are a witch
Many sleep in different positions; having a bed put up beside a wall may prompt most people to want to put their legs on the wall.
Being caught in this position by anyone means you are a witch. And worse still, you have gone to attend meeting with your witchcraft members.
yes. My grandfather told me this one. If someone is sleeping with his legs up and you change his position, he wont be able to enter his body when he comes back from the witchcraft meeting. cheesy
Re: 10 Myths We Grew Up Believing As Kids In Nigeria by McBrooklyn(m): 3:01pm On Apr 23, 2016
Ginaz:
There was a day my grandpa beat me when I behaved naughty, I was crying and disturbing the peace of the house that night. My grandmother then called me and said, ' don't you know that it is forbidden to cry in the night? If you cry millipedes will enter your bumbum '' .

I kept quiet immediately and went to sleep. Till today I still believe it sef.

Lol . . . The good old days! You're a big girl now so you don't need to be scared again grin
Re: 10 Myths We Grew Up Believing As Kids In Nigeria by McBrooklyn(m): 3:10pm On Apr 23, 2016
juhan:
Haha i still believe that number 8. yes. My grandfather told me this one. If someone is sleeping with his legs up and you change his position, he wont be able to enter his body when he comes back from the witchcraft meeting. cheesy

Thank God now you ain't a witch then or are you? cheesy
Re: 10 Myths We Grew Up Believing As Kids In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:15pm On Apr 23, 2016
McBrooklyn:

Thank God now you ain't a witch or are you? grin
lol im not naw buh i'll love to test and see if its true. cheesy
Re: 10 Myths We Grew Up Believing As Kids In Nigeria by McBrooklyn(m): 3:21pm On Apr 23, 2016
juhan:
lol im not naw buh i'll love to test and see if its true. cheesy

What will a fine girl like you need witchcraft for? It is better you believe your grandfather alternative to practical or else . . . cheesy
Re: 10 Myths We Grew Up Believing As Kids In Nigeria by McBrooklyn(m): 3:25pm On Apr 23, 2016
Cutehector:
Hahahahaha number 8 got me laffing grin cheesy

Seeing chekeleke bird flying means that we will have new set of fingernails grin

Shuo! Oga you no even allow me make ah land the post before you comment . . . Diariz God oh! grin
Re: 10 Myths We Grew Up Believing As Kids In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:19pm On Apr 23, 2016
McBrooklyn:

What will a fine girl like you need witchcraft for? It is better you believe your grandfather alternative to practical or else . . . cheesy
else what? smiley
Re: 10 Myths We Grew Up Believing As Kids In Nigeria by juman(m): 4:35pm On Apr 23, 2016
Funny. grin grin

Bring back memories when we thought nigeria would be great, but nigeria refused to be great country.
Re: 10 Myths We Grew Up Believing As Kids In Nigeria by juman(m): 4:36pm On Apr 23, 2016
Some Grandparents thought eating eggs would make one be stealing things.
Re: 10 Myths We Grew Up Believing As Kids In Nigeria by Swissheart(f): 11:11pm On Apr 23, 2016
You have to count 7 stones with your removed tooth, then throw it on the roof.... Otherwise you won't grow a new one.
Re: 10 Myths We Grew Up Believing As Kids In Nigeria by McBrooklyn(m): 10:32am On Apr 24, 2016
juhan:
else what? smiley

Else . . . *Don't know how to translate am from Yoruba to English* BTW, Can I Pm you? cool
Re: 10 Myths We Grew Up Believing As Kids In Nigeria by McBrooklyn(m): 10:37am On Apr 24, 2016
Swissheart:
You have to count 7 stones with your removed tooth, then throw it on the roof.... Otherwise you won't grow a new one.

Lol . . . The good old days! I remember doing this one wella! Are you sure your teeth now up to 32? cheesy
Re: 10 Myths We Grew Up Believing As Kids In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:10pm On Apr 24, 2016
McBrooklyn:

Else . . . *Don't know how to translate am from Yoruba to English* BTW, Can I Pm you? cool
smiley
Re: 10 Myths We Grew Up Believing As Kids In Nigeria by lucychi200(f): 8:44pm On May 25, 2016
Swissheart:

Heey they told me this too when I was a kid and I did it. Funny now you think about it grin[img][/img]

(1) (Reply)

Beware. It Is Snake Season!!! See Pics / How Popular Ota Families End Age Long Land Dispute / Help A Widower With Children Fees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.