Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,005 members, 7,817,969 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

Inventions That Can Make You Rich (both In Nigeria And Abroad) - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Inventions That Can Make You Rich (both In Nigeria And Abroad) (13099 Views)

Latest Investment That Can Make You Rich (both In Nigeria And Abroad) / Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad / Hot Stocks That Will Make You Rich In 2008 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inventions That Can Make You Rich (both In Nigeria And Abroad) by asscend: 1:10am On Jan 28, 2011
selling scrap metal or what? Pls expanciate.
Re: Inventions That Can Make You Rich (both In Nigeria And Abroad) by Nobody: 4:14am On Jan 28, 2011
U guys are d bomb pls keep making more finding we will all reach there.castrolaw
Re: Inventions That Can Make You Rich (both In Nigeria And Abroad) by gpisflying: 11:19am On Jan 31, 2011
Checkout this interview with a Nigerian in the UK who is doing it big with her creativity. http://thecreativeafricans.com/interview-with-beautiful-single-young-african-lady-ceo-yetty-designs/
Re: Inventions That Can Make You Rich (both In Nigeria And Abroad) by Wallie(m): 7:02pm On Feb 02, 2011
@naijacutee
I wonder what you do for a living as you definitely have the mindset of an inventor! If you think of a really great idea, turn it into money before “publishing” it.

@Topic
Traffic monitoring: it is actually hard for the “wrong” company to actually pull off a viable traffic monitoring system. There are a few ways you can do it:
1. Cellphone companies have access to each cellphone and can determine how fast the relative position of the cellphone is changing. To make the data more accurate, with phone equipped with GPS, they can poll the phone at intervals for its location (GPS coordinates). The valid coordinates are the ones that correspond to road locations.
2. You can install traffic cameras at strategic locations through out the city and visually determine the flow rate of traffic.
3. You can employ drivers to drive through roadways or you can have callers update highways in your database (website).
4. Sensors can be embedded at major intersections to determine the rate at which a vehicle passes over the sensor (Newton’s law – anybody).
5. The ultimate solution will be to employ all that is listed.

Somebody said something about using a car’s brain box (ECU). Well, that will almost never be a viable solution because (1) the ECU code on every different type of vehicle on most model year will have to be cracked, (2) the memory won’t be big enough and I doubt the ECU has enough spare processing power, (3) the car will need a transmitter and receiver to communicate, (4) what frequency spectrum will be used, (5) most people would not let any company update their ECU, (6) you could “brick” the ECU etc

As the OP said, there’s a lot of money to be made on the right invention. But do keep in mind that inventions are not ideas but actual concrete information that can enable a competent person (one skilled in the art) to practice the invention. On the other hand, you will be surprised by what is patentable!
Re: Inventions That Can Make You Rich (both In Nigeria And Abroad) by Wallie(m): 7:19pm On Feb 02, 2011
naijacutee:

More inventions I've toyed around with in my mind :-

Food :-

- I was wondering how feasible it would be to make 'instant' soups (Egusi/Oha/Ogbono/Peppersoup etc) which tastes exactly like the 'non-instant' ones. Who would buy it? Working mums, Bachelors, students at Uni etc. The idea is to prepare soup ingredients up to certain different stages, preserve them at these stages and then vacuum package them to lock in the flavour and nutrients until hot water is added. To cook, just add hot water and meat. As soups are part of our staple diet, this would make life a lot easier for people and this would be cheaper than cooking a N3,500 pot of soup for a big family every 2 days. Most importantly, you would be able to store these for weeks and have them taste fresh everytime you 'cook' soup in 2 minutes  smiley

This is usually done by companies specializing in food processing, food engineering, packaging, food chemistry etc. It is more of a process but the process has to be kept secret. There’s a major untapped market in this arena especially with seasonal foods and food with a very short shelve life but it is going to require substantial investments in research. Nigeria will have no choice but to head in this direction in the future because there’ll be a lot of mouths to feed and the “trailers from the north” can only do so much.

naijacutee:

- A machine for washing 'Onubu' (bitterleaf). It takes AGES to was Onubu leaves, and sometimes I wonder who is burdened with this task in busy restaurants. How about inventing a dynamo-powered device with a small tank and a funnel to drip-feed the water into the leaves below. So to wash the leaves, you just wind the handle and put water in the tank. .  . and the dynamo uses a rotor to churn the leaves and squeeze out the bitterness

You definitely can have an invention here. Do you have drawings? Don’t worry, I do this for a living grin
Re: Inventions That Can Make You Rich (both In Nigeria And Abroad) by okaycee(m): 4:58pm On Feb 06, 2011
HAS ANYONE THOUGHT ABOUT PATENTING IDEAS AND INVENTIONS IN NIGERIA ? , I BELONG TO ONE OF THE SO MANY NIGERIANS WITH GREAT IDEAS TO CREATE EMPLOYMENT, HAPPINESS ,WEALTH, DIGNITY AND HEALTH FOR OUR PEOPLE. BUT I KEEP SHUT , BECAUSE LIKE SOMEONE SAID , THESE BANKS AND INVESTORS GO CARRY UR IDEA TURN AM INTO THEIR OWN MEGA RICHES, THEM GO BLANK YOU AND UR GENUIS , BUT IF THERE IS A PAPENT ORGANISATION, THEN FOR SMALL MONEY WE GO PATENT OUR IDEAS BEFORE WE CARRY AM PUT FOR PROPOSAL, PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG ,

OR BETTER STILL SOMEONE CAN ESTABLISH A COMPANY ONLINE OR ONSITE , AND COLLECT IDEAS ON DIFFERENT CASES AND CIRCUMSTANCES ABOUT NIGERIA AND NIGERIANS . FOR A SMALL FEE ,DIS COMPANY WILL ANALYZE , EXPERIMENT ,PATENT AND DISTRIBUTE THESE IDEAS TO THE RELEVANT AGENCIES FOR APPLICATION , AND IF THIS IDEA IS ADAPOTED AND EXECUTED, THE INVENTOR GETS COMPESATED FROM THE COMPANY. , thats a free banger !!!!
Re: Inventions That Can Make You Rich (both In Nigeria And Abroad) by Wallie(m): 6:40pm On Feb 06, 2011
Your idea sounds very noble but “small money” or cheap cannot be used in the same sentence with “patents.” 

There’s a patenting system in place in Nigeria; however, they only check for formality and not substance due to lack of subject matter experts. That means that an utility patent issued in Nigeria is not worth the paper it was written on as it can’t stand up to any rational scrutiny (where are you even going to get the judge and lawyers to litigate the case?). Imagine trying to get a lawyer that ran away from sciences to start explaining why your invention, a computing processor, is essentially the same or different from Intel Pentium 4.

One would need to hire a foreign attorney or law firm to prosecute the patent. In the US and most western countries, patent attorneys need to have a technical degree in addition to a law degree. It is not unusual to see patent attorneys with Phds especially those that prosecute arts related to chemistry and biology. As you would have guessed, someone has to pay for all that education and exclusivity.

To file a patent will initially cost you about $450 in fees to the govt and an additional $2k-$3k in fees for the attorney writing the patent application. Once written and submitted, the govt will usually reject it saying the idea is not novel because someone invented something similar, which means that the attorney has to respond with reasons why your invention is novel and worthy of a patent.  The attorney will usually charge you $1k-$2k for responding on your behalf. The process of rejecting and responding will continue until you convince the govt of your invention and each time the attorney responds, the attorney charges you. Also, after the second rejection, you will have to pay the govt another $405 (Request for Continuing Examination), before you can continue. I have personally worked on a case that is going through its 6th rejection.

Once your patent has been deemed worthy and issued to you, you will have to pay fees to the govt at regular intervals for maintaining your patent.
3.5 years after issue - $980
7.5 years after issue - $2,480
11.5 years after issue - $4,110

As you can see, there’s nothing cheap about a patent and will usually cost $10k-$20k for the life of the patent (20 years).
Re: Inventions That Can Make You Rich (both In Nigeria And Abroad) by okaycee(m): 7:16pm On Feb 06, 2011
@wallie ,

Thanks for the update , i totally understand what u mean , So what is the fate of young Nigerian inventors and entrepenuers ?, should they develop these ideas on their own ?, or can they get assistance in Nigeria ?
Re: Inventions That Can Make You Rich (both In Nigeria And Abroad) by Wallie(m): 7:57pm On Feb 06, 2011
@okaycee

Very good question! Nigeria is in need of urgent patent reform. Nigeria, up until now, has been able to get away with subpar patent framework even though Nigeria is a signatory to World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), World Trade Organization (WTO), Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) and General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT). These bodies and/or agreement allow member States assert and protect intellectual property rights of businesses in their country. But I guess since Nigeria is not a developed country, nobody really cares about what happens there – although, that’s no longer true, as the telecom sector will have innovations that will need to be protected. In the oil sector, the westerners just keep their technology amongst themselves or use some elaborate license-type contract to protect it.

Until real reform happens, an inventor/entrepreneur that cannot hire a foreign attorney can try to capitalize on their invention by being the first to market. Hopefully, before your invention gets copied, you would have recouped your investments. Obviously, the higher the entry barrier, the longer it will take for an entrant into the market. The downside to this approach is that it discourages innovation and R&D because nobody in their right mind will spend money to seek a solution that’s not already in existence if the solution can be readily copied.

I need to find other Nigerian Patent Attorneys or practitioners but I would have a better chance of finding a needle in a haystack!

1 Like

Re: Inventions That Can Make You Rich (both In Nigeria And Abroad) by naijacutee(f): 1:13am On Feb 07, 2011
@ Wallie. Thanks for the heads up! I'm actually a radiographer but I have a keen interest in technology for development. I know that I'm not the only one, and there are so many ideas out there that are stifled for lack of knowledge, and lack of funding.
I agree with you, and okaycee on our overdue need for patent reforms. I believe that well-publicized patent reforms, with an involvement in our schools and Universities could potentially change the nature of the game in Nigeria, and massively encourage innovation in Nigeria.

Do you know if it is possible to apply for a valid patent in a country where conditions are more favourable than in Nigeria? 
Re: Inventions That Can Make You Rich (both In Nigeria And Abroad) by Wallie(m): 6:51pm On Feb 07, 2011
naijacutee:

Do you know if it is possible to apply for a valid patent in a country where conditions are more favourable than in Nigeria?

Sure. You can apply for a patent in the country of your choice. Most people tend to apply in the US, followed by Europe (Germany), and then Asia. You essentially apply to where you think your strongest market will be.

An idea that I'm playing with will be to start a company that invests in other people's inventions; especially, inventors from Africa. The company will do all the work that is required and take a percentage of profits realized from the invention. But a major issue to overcome will be people’s perception that you’re out to cheat them. Most people will also think that you can patent an idea without offering exact details as to how to make the idea.
Re: Inventions That Can Make You Rich (both In Nigeria And Abroad) by quomo: 6:50pm On Feb 12, 2011
This is meant for the guy who has an idea on electronic cleaning.
Pls get in touch with me via the email address below as I have a lead that can benefit both of us.
My organisation presently raised this issue just a week ago.
my email address: seyfemq@gmail.com
This is a genuine post, please do not ignore.
Re: Inventions That Can Make You Rich (both In Nigeria And Abroad) by brainette: 11:47pm On Feb 19, 2011
guys this is very interesting and laudable! in fact, i had to suppress an urge to send Naijacutee an email commending her for this topic. however i'd like to warn that anyone who has serious ideas capable of leading to an invention should not describe how to work the invention in any public forum or website, not even to a company except you have a confidentiality agreement with such a company. the reason is that in developed countries, your inventions can make you very rich if you are able to acquire a patent for an invention that is really new. once you disclose ur idea and how to work it, it cannot be taken to be new and therefore you can't get a monopoly for it. so as much as people have ideas, why not let ur ideas make you rich so that in a broader sense, we developing Nigeria's technical base. Go to the patent office and get a patent for your invention.
Re: Inventions That Can Make You Rich (both In Nigeria And Abroad) by naijacutee(f): 6:47pm On Apr 27, 2011
brainette:

guys this is very interesting and laudable! in fact, i had to suppress an urge to send Naijacutee an email commending her for this topic. however i'd like to warn that anyone who has serious ideas capable of leading to an invention should not describe how to work the invention in any public forum or website, not even to a company except you have a confidentiality agreement with such a company. the reason is that in developed countries, your inventions can make you very rich if you are able to acquire a patent for an invention that is really new. once you disclose your idea and how to work it, it cannot be taken to be new and therefore you can't get a monopoly for it. so as much as people have ideas, why not let your ideas make you rich so that in a broader sense, we developing Nigeria's technical base. Go to the patent office and get a patent for your invention.

Thank you, brainette!

One more idea : A foot-powered mortar for pounding yam and cassava. The thigh muscles are the strongest muscles in the body for heavy work, yet they are the least used. A foot pounder can harness the great strength of these muscles and put them into pounding yam and cassava quicker, more efficiently and safely. I have a rough picture of what this could look like in my head, but I can't draw guys - sorry. Basically, it could have a long lever with a wide pestle-like projection on one end. On the other end would be a sort of spring-loaded foot pedal attached or some other mechanism which is able to multiplying the force applied at the foot end. This would save a lot of poor arms, shoulder joints, backs and precious time in the sun wasted in trying to get the perfectly pounded cassava/yam. Also, it is also viable for as long as we have irregular electricity in Nigeria. Even after we get regular electricity (In Jesus name!) this could go on to sell in other African countries in which staple foods are pounded in the same way. 
Re: Inventions That Can Make You Rich (both In Nigeria And Abroad) by Wallie(m): 4:04pm On Jan 11, 2012
naijacutee:

Thank you, brainette!

One more idea : A foot-powered mortar for pounding yam and cassava. The thigh muscles are the strongest muscles in the body for heavy work, yet they are the least used. A foot pounder can harness the great strength of these muscles and put them into pounding yam and cassava quicker, more efficiently and safely. I have a rough picture of what this could look like in my head, but I can't draw guys - sorry. Basically, it could have a long lever with a wide pestle-like projection on one end. On the other end would be a sort of spring-loaded foot pedal attached or some other mechanism which is able to multiplying the force applied at the foot end. This would save a lot of poor arms, shoulder joints, backs and precious time in the sun wasted in trying to get the perfectly pounded cassava/yam. Also, it is also viable for as long as we have irregular electricity in Nigeria. Even after we get regular electricity (In Jesus name!) this could go on to sell in other African countries in which staple foods are pounded in the same way. 

Nice idea but something similar has probably been invented about 60 years ago before automated machines were affordable. The only way of knowing is to do a novelty search. I tried to do a quick one but I don't currently have access to the database used for searches. The drawing is not an issue at all as there are artists that specialize in rendering what's in your head:-)

Generally, if anybody is interested in inventing anything in a particular field, the easiest way to see what's out there so you can build on it. You can even use the info to come up to speed about a particular technology/field. The inventions patented or submitted for patenting usually have enough information to take you to the next step.

Here's an easy way to search for inventions http://www.google.com/patents The site does not have everything but it should suffice for your needs. You can use submitted inventions to get and learn detailed information about ANY field/technology that you’re interested in.
Re: Inventions That Can Make You Rich (both In Nigeria And Abroad) by dainventor: 9:40pm On Jun 10, 2012
Re: Inventions That Can Make You Rich (both In Nigeria And Abroad) by newacca: 6:18pm On Jul 17, 2012
Wow! I like this!!! smiley
@ OP Big ups smiley

@Rossike,
2 thumbs up for you. I am really thinking and working on making something from our varieties of fruits and vegetables to add value to the life of mankind.
Let me list few:
1)Wanna make something out of the seeds in watermelon
2)Wanna make disinfectant from Lemon
3)Leave of maize has loads of advantage from my knowledge

6)Can we make a machine for our women and mothers to make pounding their yams easy for preparing Iyan(Pounded yam)

5) Coconut oil and honey alone has loads of advantages for our skin and body

6)Our local ointment "Oori" in Yoruba has great usefulness that has not been tapped. I used it and it worked for me. We can get a lot from it
Re: Inventions That Can Make You Rich (both In Nigeria And Abroad) by omogidi234(m): 12:20am On Sep 18, 2015
This thread has been quiet. It is an inspiring thread and should not die. This is a thread that should be on front page permanently and not all these Linda Ikeji posing at the gate. No offence though.
Re: Inventions That Can Make You Rich (both In Nigeria And Abroad) by Xenisha: 8:49pm On Apr 28, 2022
A thought came to me. I wanted to create my own invention that could benefit humanity. But as we know, it is not so easy to bring a product to the market now, because there are many competitors. One of the companies with product engineering studio took me from start to finish, and I began to cooperate with them. They explained everything clearly, and it turned out to be quite simple.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad / Gtb Internet Banking Token Device / How Do You Deal With Customers Who Wants To Buy On Credit ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.