Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,131 members, 7,811,195 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:04 AM

NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg (33792 Views)

Labour Presents New Minimum Wage Demand Above The N56,000 Earlier Proposed / FG Okays 29-member Panel On N56,000 Minimum Wage Demand / Oshiomhole Increases Minimum Wage To N25,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by ckmayoca: 4:35pm On Apr 27, 2016
The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC) have jointly proposed and presented N56,000 as the new minimum wage to the Federal Government as against the present N18,000.
The NLC president, Ayuba Wabba, said this at a news conference on Wednesday in Abuja.

Wabba said that both the NLC and the TUC made the formal demand on the proposed national minimum wage to the Federal Government on Tuesday.

“I can say now authoritatively that as of yesterday( Tuesday) we made a formal proposal to the Federal Government of N56,000 to be the new minimum wage.

“The demand has been submitted officially to government and we hope that the tripartite system to look at the review will actually be put set up to look at it.

“Our argument is that, yes, it is true that the economy is not doing well, but the law stated that wages for workers must be review after every five years.

“So, the issue must be looked into by the Federal Government and workers should not be seen as sleeping on their rights, ”he said.

Wabba recalled that the last review of the national minimum wage was done in 2011 and that the setting up of a tripartite committee to review the newly proposed national minimum wage was long overdue.

He said it was imperative that government should set up the tripartite committee for the review of the new minimum wage.

Wabba said this was the only way the representatives of unions and government would fashion out the negotiation process at a round table.

According to him, the logic behind the new minimum wage is to ensure that no worker earns below what can sustain him or her for a period of 30 days.

“You also know that when we negotiated the N18, 000 minimum wage, the value in terms of exchange rate at that time was almost at N110 to the dollar.

“But as at today, the value of the naira to the dollar has been reduced; and there are the issues of inflation and purchasing power, among others to contend with.

“So, it also about the law of the review of the wage, the law envisaged that within a circle of five years, there must be a review, ”Wabba said.

Wabba called on the Government to ensure that the issue of the national minimum wage was urgently taken on board as way of fighting corruption in the country.

He said that if employers failed to cater for their workers’ welfare adequately, it would be difficult for such an employer to fight corruption.

The NLC president said that workers needed to be empowered financially to have the purchasing power to buy what they would need to survive.

“If manufacturers are producing and nobody is buying, the economy will be at a standstill because people lack the purchasing power to buy.

“So, these are some of the issues we will be pushing forward at the negotiation table and there must be a tripartite committee to look at the challenges, ”he said.

http://m.guardian.ng/news/nlc-tuc-propose-n56000-as-new-national-minimum-wage-to-fg/

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by DropShot: 4:35pm On Apr 27, 2016
In as much as I support any move to improve workers' living conditions, I think it's time we faced reality.

The first thing NLC, TUC and other pressure groups need to be fighting day and night for is to force the political elites, especially the NASS members to reduce their pay. It's not enough to condemn and criticize their allowances and other benefits online without backing it up with serious protests. Once we're able to force the politicians to reduce their benefits to around 40% of what they get now, and with the war on corruption being fought with the unrivaled zeal we see now, soon, politics will become unattractive.

I also have issue against collective bargaining strategy of these labour bodies. Why don't we allow each state's union body to agree with their respective govt on what the realistic minimum wage for the state will be? I believe that's the only sensible thing to do.

Lastly, if we're to be sincere with ourselves, I don't see how the current economic situation can support increase in minimum wage considering that our earnings have seriously reduced. Besides, increase in minimum wage benefit those at the top rung of the ladder most. The workers who actually need the minimum wage the most (messengers, cleaners, drivers, etc) don't benefit as much as the top guns.

[s]
Jazzlite:
Silly NLC where have they been throughout fuel scarcity, where were they when PMB grounded the Nigerian economy by not appointing ministers for over 5months! Despite that he is a stark illiterate! Where have they been in this Fulani terrorism? A selfish self serving organisation. They should be ignored. 56k at a time we are in recession? what have they done for the dying Osun workers?
[/s]
Hypertension doesn't discriminate on age or sex. Be warned!

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by Jazzlite: 4:39pm On Apr 27, 2016
Silly NLC where have they been throughout fuel scarcity, where were they when PMB grounded the Nigerian economy by not appointing ministers for over 5months! Despite that he is a stark illiterate! Where have they been in this Fulani terrorism? A selfish self serving organisation. They should be ignored. 56k at a time we are in recession? what have they done for the dying Osun workers?

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by eagleeye2: 4:40pm On Apr 27, 2016
where's the money to pay? when States are seeking for bailout.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by Pavarottii(m): 4:43pm On Apr 27, 2016
If buhari do this one, I go turn to Om*nka for Nairaland. grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by Juxtified(m): 4:44pm On Apr 27, 2016
They should have done this long ago. Now the government is going to have to perfect excuse: no money.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by Ghandi12: 4:45pm On Apr 27, 2016
eagleeye2:
where's the money to pay? when States are seeking for bailout.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/08/nigerian-lawmakers-are-the-highest-paid-in-the-world/

A senator in Nigeria earns 240 million naira (about 1.7 million US dollars) in salaries and allowances and a member of the House of Representatives earns 204 million naira (about 1.45million US dollars) per annum. It definitely rubs insult to injury for the average Civil servant who earns about 46 to 120 US dollars per month...

If they have millions and billions to spend on less than 500 people they must also have 56,000 on a common man...we have been warning them - them no dey hear!

9 Likes

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by willyede(m): 4:45pm On Apr 27, 2016
Oga did i hear you say great should the federal govt implement this it will lead to Inflation of the highest order. Am just tired of this country walahi...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by faaz24: 4:47pm On Apr 27, 2016
Good move, but I will suggest #36k.
Oil price has crashed, but if the minimum wage is adjusted upward as bn suggested, govt may downsize its workforce
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by otitokoroleti: 4:47pm On Apr 27, 2016
Good, at least to make everything balance due to the current inflation
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by koma1(m): 4:48pm On Apr 27, 2016
Mumu nlc when almost all nigerian states find it difficult to pay 18k you are proposing 56k. keep dulling your selves

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by 4Kemzy(m): 5:12pm On Apr 27, 2016
I merely thought this labour groups were nonexistent. Where have they been all this while that poverty almost struck the workforce to physical oblivion? Anyways its a nice move and their right. Now, the Presidency over to you.
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by Jazzlite: 5:18pm On Apr 27, 2016
we will NOT support them.... we don't want more money but more value for our money....No to 250/liter of PMS... No to electricity tarrif increment, no to land use charge, no to VAT increment to 10%, Oga no go geh hypertension on top ma matter o

DropShot:
In as much as I support any move to improve workers' living conditions, I think it's time we faced reality.

The first thing NLC, TUC and other pressure groups need to be fighting day and night for is to force the political elites, especially the NASS members to reduce their pay. It's not enough to condemn and criticize their allowances and other benefits online without backing it up with serious protests. Once we're able to force the politicians to reduce their benefits to around 40% of what they get now, and with the war on corruption being fought with the unrivaled zeal we see now, soon, politics will become unattractive.

I also have issue against collective bargaining strategy of these labour bodies. Why don't we allow each state's union body to agree with their respective govt on what the realistic minimum wage for the state will be? I believe that's the only sensible thing to do.

Lastly, if we're to be sincere with ourselves, I don't see how the current economic situation can support increase in minimum wage considering that our earnings have seriously reduced. Besides, increase in minimum wage benefit those at the top rung of the ladder most. The workers who actually need the minimum wage the most (messengers, cleaners, drivers, etc) don't benefit as much as the top guns.

[s][/s]
Hypertension doesn't discriminate on age or sex. Be warned!

2 Likes

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by SleekAboki: 5:23pm On Apr 27, 2016
With over $300 billion so far recovered, Buhari administration can logically afford to pay such minimum wage now. Other bodies should also follow suit and demand their rights. All these declared billions is too huge not to serve the collective good.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by Nobody: 5:24pm On Apr 27, 2016
So the supposed 'law' go produce d money wey dem go useee pay..... delusion everywia

1 Like

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by SamuelAnyawu(m): 5:27pm On Apr 27, 2016
Haba even as opposition make I talk true here.

With the recent fall in oil prices how do you expect the federal government to increase its minimum wage from 18,000 to 56,000...

It's not realistic Biko

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by SleekAboki: 5:28pm On Apr 27, 2016
Jazzlite:
What recession? when over $300 billion is flying around and over 3 trillion Naira idling away inside TSA? NLC is being just! how can such huge amount be flying around without inviting the workforce to have a piece of the action? is it only the executive and legislature that knows how to fly private jets and ride jeeps?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by Viktor1983(m): 5:30pm On Apr 27, 2016
Nlc wants aregbe and rochas to faint ni?
Truth is What NLC is asking for is not feasible...
Govt wey deny their campaign promises, Na them go pay N50,000+?
Una never see anything yet, na movie synopsis una still dey read?
It should be gradual, I think a 50% increase is very feasible ;18k+9k...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by Nobody: 5:33pm On Apr 27, 2016
rubbish
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by SleekAboki: 5:33pm On Apr 27, 2016
SamuelAnyawu:
Haba even as opposition make I talk true here.

With the recent fall in oil prices how do you expect the federal government to increase its minimum wage from 18,000 to 56,000...

It's not realistic Biko
Fall in oil price while senators are buying jeeps and Buhari 16 year old daughter paying 2 million for first class tickets to UK to go and see her boyfriend? You expect the workforce to live on 18k? The workforce of Nigerian economy deserves more than what they are currently demanding.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by SamuelAnyawu(m): 5:37pm On Apr 27, 2016
SleekAboki:

Fall in oil price while senators are buying jeeps and Buhari 16 year old daughter paying 2 million for first class tickets to UK to go and see her boyfriend? You expect the workforce to live on 18k? The workforce of Nigerian economy deserves more than what they are currently demanding.

Bro I understand and i want good packages for government workers also...but sincerely 56000 is not realistic to me for now. 40,000 looks more realistic

2 Likes

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by SleekAboki: 5:42pm On Apr 27, 2016
SamuelAnyawu:

Bro I understand and i want good packages for government workers also...but sincerely 56000 is not realistic to me for now. 40,000 looks more realistic
It would be negotiated to 30-40k. But they deserve better.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by Kriztovar13(m): 5:45pm On Apr 27, 2016
Ah don't even know wat to say!!

1 Like

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by EmmaOgbu(m): 5:45pm On Apr 27, 2016
B

4 Likes

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by bright007(f): 5:46pm On Apr 27, 2016
k
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by Presbulg(m): 5:46pm On Apr 27, 2016
I think that's a reasonable figure when you consider we have some people collecting millions every month.

grin

3 Likes

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by mccoy47(m): 5:47pm On Apr 27, 2016
56,000 gini?
But NLC should be realistic na!
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by chikel2000(m): 5:48pm On Apr 27, 2016
Truth be told, Nigeria needs to be grateful to GEJ for implementing an increase in workers salaries. That said I wana ask dis question. Is this increment for all workers or just those at d bottom who r paid peanuts? Or u also want to increase that of those in level 10 n above?. If its d former then its a call in the right direction.
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by vertricles: 5:48pm On Apr 27, 2016
Good
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by martineverest(m): 5:48pm On Apr 27, 2016
These people should be sincere to themselves
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by Youngzedd(m): 5:49pm On Apr 27, 2016
States are finding it difficult paying 18,000 NGN minimum wage, now NLC is talking about 56,000 NGN.

This old men should get serious.

Jokers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by DBossNG(m): 5:49pm On Apr 27, 2016
Nice

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PDP: Anger In Mark’s, Jang’s Camps Over Saraki’s Consensus Bid / Hoodlums Storm Airport Cargo Terminal In Ilorin, Cart Away COVID-19 Palliatives / Adamu Garba Reacts To N100m APC Presidential Nomination Form

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.