Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,034 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

Processors: How Fast Can These Things Get? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Processors: How Fast Can These Things Get? (1123 Views)

Whats The Difference Between Core's And Celeron Processors ? / How Fast Can You Type? Do You Still Look At Your Keyboard? / Just How Fast Is Etisalat's Easyblaze? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Processors: How Fast Can These Things Get? by Gamine(f): 2:22pm On Nov 16, 2006
i remember when these our PCs were running at 700Mhz now we have speeds clocking 5Ghz
with the new Intel Core 2 which runs two processors of 2.5Ghz how fast do u need ur system to go
Xcept ur a gamer or a graphics person, Is speed that necessary??

In the next 10 yrs wld our systems be running at 20Ghz?
Re: Processors: How Fast Can These Things Get? by Ynot(m): 2:06am On Nov 17, 2006
Increase in processor speed is not only necessary but will be in much demand as applications and operating systems get more complex. As you know, most programs of 700MHz era were less complicated, less memory intensive and there were less demand for computational power.

But i don't think we will ever see a 20GHz chip with the present chip design technology. The reason is in the physics and materials involved in chip design. The more they compress the transistors, the less space you have to cool em off. There is also decrease in the distance a signal has to travel (for synchronization purpose).

The empirical observation in 1965 known today as Moore's Law states that the number of transistors on an integrated circuit, for minimum component cost, doubles every 24 months no longer holds. At least in terms of doubling the size. Not unless someone discovers a suitable less resistive conductor/metal with same doping property as gold or boron and/or efficient way to cool down the heat.
Re: Processors: How Fast Can These Things Get? by adewaleafolabi(m): 1:57pm On Nov 17, 2006
well things are changing take for instance the play station 3 processor which is based on the i cell technology its worth googling 4
Re: Processors: How Fast Can These Things Get? by Christino(m): 4:54pm On Nov 17, 2006
@ Ynot,

With effective Bio Technology, we won't be needing much of cooling. Necessity is the mother of invention so anything's possible in the world of technology - Processors especially cos they dictate the landmarks in the History of computers.
Re: Processors: How Fast Can These Things Get? by Gamine(f): 5:47pm On Nov 17, 2006
Oh yes they dictate the landmarks,.but is it really necessary
Re: Processors: How Fast Can These Things Get? by Christino(m): 7:21pm On Nov 17, 2006
Deary,

They won't be there if there ain't apps needing them. The mother of invention is what?
Re: Processors: How Fast Can These Things Get? by Seun(m): 8:24pm On Nov 17, 2006
I'm going to be doing some video editing, so I think I'll need a fast processor. Or is my 1.1Ghz processor ok?
Re: Processors: How Fast Can These Things Get? by Ynot(m): 6:34am On Nov 18, 2006
If you ever need a high processing computer power, you can build a Beowulf cluster with off the shelf cheap computer components. With a coupla 486, you can build a complex supercomputer with gigaflop power. If you don't know what a Beowulf is, you can read it up here or google it.
Re: Processors: How Fast Can These Things Get? by sbucareer(f): 4:47pm On Nov 18, 2006

We are in the dawn of nano technology. The only people that has the nano technology is the Chinese Japan and they are not sharing it. Like every other chips ever invented, Chinese Japan has been on the heart of chips development.

Driving digital circuit like chips to emit thousands and millions of pulse per second, which in effect controls the binary and electrical interface attached to it.

Now they have deviced a chip that can emit 0.000 000 001, which is 10^-9 or a nano under a second, this technology is mind blowing and I am waiting for it to come down to computers. Earlier I heard someone talking of 20GHz chip. We will be looking at 0.5THz chips.

I wonder if it would be in our life time.

Reference Nanotechnology goole search

Re: Processors: How Fast Can These Things Get? by Seun(m): 10:18pm On Nov 18, 2006
With a coupla 486, you can build a complex supercomputer with gigaflop power
That would not be too wise. The price to performance ratio of newer processors is much higher. If you buy enough 486 processors to equal the processing power of a Pentium IV, the pentium IV would be cheaper.
Re: Processors: How Fast Can These Things Get? by roflmao: 10:40pm On Nov 18, 2006
First off I think we've pretty much peaked with the current technology. The "duo" processor style will perhaps be the new trend because that realises increased performance than a single ultra fast processor.

Second, speed is not that important. 1GHz and above is good for most applications, anything at 1.8 and above should comfortably handle future stuff like Vista and the likes. Processor speed is over 1000 times faster than other system components needed to realise any increase in system performance. System speed is determined by different complex set-up and configuration but RAM memory and Cache and important for improved performance.
Re: Processors: How Fast Can These Things Get? by Ynot(m): 4:24am On Nov 19, 2006
Seun:

That would not be too wise. The price to performance ratio of newer processors is much higher. If you buy enough 486 processors to equal the processing power of a Pentium IV, the pentium IV would be cheaper.

You clearly missed my point. I used the 486 as an example of the level of computing power you can achieve with off the shelf components - creating parallel computing that will otherwise cost a whole lot of money. Remember, countries like the US restricts exportation of supercomputers to nations that might use the technology to analyze/build nuclear weapon or crack intercepted spy encrypted messages. Now with Beowulf network (read, parallel computing), you can have same supercomputer down in your basement relatively cheaper than a cray. BTW cray cost millions of dollars.

Now the question is, what can you do with a Beowulf? Well, it depends on your interest which might include;
[list]
[li]Web application with heavy traffic. Google is a good example[/li]
[li]Animation movies, video editing as you mentioned. The movie; Shrek was rendered with a Linux powered Beowulf[/li]
[li]Weather forecast[/li]
[li]Scientific research - mathematical, bio, nuclear, DNA, etc[/li]
[li]Have fun poking underneath parallel processing[/li]
[li]Anything that requires comparative computing calculation or bit crunching, etc[/li]
[/list]

The problem is, most people don't see the need for research institutions/centers in Nigeria or the need to acquire a supercomputer or even what to do with one. Of the top 500 supercomputers list in the world, there is only one in Africa (South Africa). Take a look at Duke University's arrays of clusters.

@ sbucareer
I will love to see that too. But you forgot to mention Japan. IMO, they are leading as far as chip technology is concerned. Like the Chinese, they ain't sharing either.

@rof-lmao
Yes, the peripherals limits the capabilities of a fast processor but we are talking beyond desktop application now where the need of such devices are mostly not needed.
Re: Processors: How Fast Can These Things Get? by Seun(m): 8:49am On Nov 25, 2006
@ Ynot: understood.

I think you need a 3Ghz processor to play high definition video.

(1) (Reply)

Browse With Two Computers Using Starcomms, Multilinks Etc. And Pay For One. / I Heard People Are Browsing With Opera 7 For Free Using Mtn Gprs With Their Pc.i Have Downloaded O / Please Help Format My Laptop!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.