Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,437 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:35 AM

Kindly Help Find A Solution To This Issue - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Kindly Help Find A Solution To This Issue (1413 Views)

GTB Loan Kindly Help Me / Honda Accord Experts Opinion Needed In This Issue / Peugeot 307: Solution To Anti Theft Warning Fault (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kindly Help Find A Solution To This Issue by kentornic: 5:59am On Apr 28, 2016
When i kick start my car (Toyota Avalon Automatic Transmission) and start moving the gear shifts smoothly from 1 to 2 and to 3 but when i keep accelerating, the car starts acting as if it is gasping for breath and finding it difficult to shift upward to higher gears beyond 3. (Just the same behavior and engine sound you get when you are trying to rev high and speed up a manual car on gear 1 without shifting to gear 2).

My car speed will no longer correspond to my throttling because it seems to have stopped shifting gear upwards and the engine will keep screaming. This will stop only when i shift the gear to D2 but i don't like driving long distance on D2 because it overheats my engine fast.

I took it to my mechanic who changed all the plugs but the problem still persists

Please Great people of this family, kindly Help me suggest and find a solution to this problem
Re: Kindly Help Find A Solution To This Issue by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:05am On Apr 28, 2016
sounds like you have a transmission problem. What year of avensis is this?
Re: Kindly Help Find A Solution To This Issue by kentornic: 6:10am On Apr 28, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
It is a 1999 Toyota Avalon. Someone suggested that i empty the transmission oil and put fresh transmission oil. Do you think this will work?
Re: Kindly Help Find A Solution To This Issue by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:24am On Apr 28, 2016
kentornic:
It is a 1999 Toyota Avalon. Someone suggested that i empty the transmission oil and put fresh transmission oil. Do you think this will work?

I believe if the oil is old and dark and smelling burnt it should be replaced, I doubt it will be of any help now.
Re: Kindly Help Find A Solution To This Issue by kentornic: 6:29am On Apr 28, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

I believe if the oil is old and dark and smelling burnt it should be replaced, I doubt it will be of any help now.
What is likely to be the cause of this and how do i resolve it? Do i have to change the entire gear system or can it be worked on?
Re: Kindly Help Find A Solution To This Issue by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:37am On Apr 28, 2016
kentornic:

What is likely to be the cause of this and how do i resolve it? Do i have to change the entire gear system or can it be worked on?

you need proper diagnosis and a scan. It should rule out any issues you are currently having with the vehicle.

Contact mayor2013 or honmusa.
Re: Kindly Help Find A Solution To This Issue by chukel(m): 7:26am On Apr 28, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

you need proper diagnosis and a scan. It should rule out any issues you are currently having with the vehicle.

Contact mayor2013 or honmusa.
Oga mi, why won't he contact you. Don't you run proper diagnosis and scan again? Kentornic, find oga gazzuz catch and let him do the job. You will smile home. But mayor and musa are very good too.
Re: Kindly Help Find A Solution To This Issue by AutoJoshNG: 8:20am On Apr 28, 2016
kentornic:
When i kick start my car (Toyota Avalon Automatic Transmission) and start moving the gear shifts smoothly from 1 to 2 and to 3 but when i keep accelerating, the car starts acting as if it is gasping for breath and finding it difficult to shift upward to higher gears beyond 3. (Just the same behavior and engine sound you get when you are trying to rev high and speed up a manual car on gear 1 without shifting to gear 2).

My car speed will no longer correspond to my throttling because it seems to have stopped shifting gear upwards and the engine will keep screaming. This will stop only when i shift the gear to D2 but i don't like driving long distance on D2 because it overheats my engine fast.

I took it to my mechanic who changed all the plugs but the problem still persists

Please Great people of this family, kindly Help me suggest and find a solution to this problem

Hello Kentornic,

You need to scan the car, don't think twice about that. It could be a sensor, plug, fuel pump, fuel filter, nozzle or catalytic converter (usually gives an exhaust note). Finally, it may be the transmission.

Autojoshng
Re: Kindly Help Find A Solution To This Issue by honmusa(m): 9:10am On Apr 28, 2016
kentornic:

An automatic transmission system is made up of the the parts : hydraulic part(ATF),Electrical (solenoid and wires),and mechanical (gear system ,clutch etc ).
If the issue is s still within the hydraulic and electrical it can be easily be worked on and resolved but most issue due to mechanical will require gear system rebuild which is more expensive and labour intensive than buying a complete tokunbo transmission as the required rebuild kit has to be imported and fitted according to manufacturer specification ,which will be far above your budget .Any Kazeem that promise to do a transmission rebuild for for you will about turn your car to a lab rat as the skill involved is more technical than what he can handle.
But the first step is to go for diagnostics to determine which area of the powertrain /transmission is faulty
You can call 08061166316 for comprehensive Diagnostics.

2 Likes

Re: Kindly Help Find A Solution To This Issue by kentornic: 9:57am On Apr 28, 2016
Wow! What a family we have here. Always willing to help. Thank you all gurus. The car is in enugu and i am not sure gazzuz and the experts he referred me to are in enugu, and also Oga honmusa. If you are in enugu or environs let me know so i can bring the car to you, if not i will look for a good place to run the scan and come back to post the cause and solution so others will learn. thank you all once again
Re: Kindly Help Find A Solution To This Issue by kentornic: 4:15pm On Apr 28, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Heads up....i took the car for scan but didnt meet the guy incharge of the scan, after i explained the issue to some other guys i met there, they refered me to another guy in the vicinity who they described as an expert in gear repairs. On checking the gear the self-acclaimed expert told me that my transmission oil is extremely bad and the gear oil filter is broken. He poured out the oil and brought out the filter, lo and behold the oil is very thick, black and smelly and also the filter is torn. He has gone to get fresh oil and a new filter. Will keep this space updated with the outcome.
Re: Kindly Help Find A Solution To This Issue by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:31pm On Apr 28, 2016
kentornic:

Heads up....i took the car for scan but didnt meet the guy incharge of the scan, after i explained the issue to some other guys i met there, they refered me to another guy in the vicinity who they described as an expert in gear repairs. On checking the gear the self-acclaimed expert told me that my transmission oil is extremely bad and the gear oil filter is broken. He poured out the oil and brought out the filter, lo and behold the oil is very thick, black and smelly and also the filter is torn. He has gone to get fresh oil and a new filter. Will keep this space updated with the outcome.

hope it works, dirt in valvebody is very hard to fix, hope you don't run around in circles.

P.s your gear box is about 70k, you will spend a minimum of 30k now.

1 Like

Re: Kindly Help Find A Solution To This Issue by akanniade10(m): 7:24pm On Apr 28, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

hope it works, dirt in valvebody is very hard to fix, hope you don't run around in circles.

In other words..... grin
Re: Kindly Help Find A Solution To This Issue by chukel(m): 9:32pm On Apr 28, 2016
ataspray:

gazzuzz dey select jobs o he don proud finish. he wont do a job that will give him too much stress, such as what the op here has explained and that is why he has referred d op to d hustlers like mayor etc grin
gazzuz I know is not proud one bit. Kia kia. he is just humility exemplified.
Re: Kindly Help Find A Solution To This Issue by ataspray(m): 9:46pm On Apr 28, 2016
chukel:
gazzuz I know is not proud one bit. Kia kia. he is just humility exemplified.
i am being figurative, not literal.
Re: Kindly Help Find A Solution To This Issue by Kashif(m): 10:05pm On Apr 28, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

If that solves his problem, he is much better off. The 70k does not include installation and atf.
Re: Kindly Help Find A Solution To This Issue by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:07pm On Apr 28, 2016
Kashif:

If that solves his problem, he is much better off. The 70k does not include installation and atf.

if it does not... sad
Re: Kindly Help Find A Solution To This Issue by Kashif(m): 10:12pm On Apr 28, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

if it does not... sad

The reason a competent hand should have it checked.
Re: Kindly Help Find A Solution To This Issue by kentornic: 12:16pm On Apr 29, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

if it does not... sad

Gazzuz the prophet. As you correctly envisaged, the problem did not go away after the change of transmission oil and the filter. Now the next step according to the guy is to replace the entire valvebody with a new one ( the good thing is that i will not pay for the replacement unless it works)

The guy said if it doesnt work then the problem is most definitely from the mechanical part which is the gear box itself and the only solution to that is to get a new gear box (hmmm i dont even want to think about that)

I have also taken the matter spiritual and have been praying and prophecying to the car and i am certain everything will be alright. He is on the change of the valvebody process, i will know the outcome before the end of the day
Re: Kindly Help Find A Solution To This Issue by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:50pm On Apr 29, 2016
kentornic:

Gazzuz the prophet. As you correctly envisaged, the problem did not go away after the change of transmission oil and the filter. Now the next step according to the guy is to replace the entire valvebody with a new one ( the good thing is that i will not pay for the replacement unless it works)

The guy said if it doesnt work then the problem is most definitely from the mechanical part which is the gear box itself and the only solution to that is to get a new gear box (hmmm i dont even want to think about that)

I have also taken the matter spiritual and have been praying and prophecying to the car and i am certain everything will be alright. He is on the change of the valvebody process, i will know the outcome before the end of the day

how did it go?
Re: Kindly Help Find A Solution To This Issue by cocoduck: 12:55pm On Apr 30, 2016
kentornic:

insert your finger into the oil he brought out of the tranny feel for gritty particles, if there is none, then rejoice and put the recommended tranny oil for UR car, if there are gritty particles , then sorry.
Re: Kindly Help Find A Solution To This Issue by cocoduck: 1:19pm On Apr 30, 2016
That is why white people say every reader is a leader, you buy a car, even if it is second hand, you by omission or commission refuse to read ur owner's manual, you don't know that you must change the tranny oil, just as u change the engine oil, and must use the recommended oil ONLY. Oils degrade as they are subjected to heat, hence the tranny oil change should be made part of the maintenance. Now you are going spiritual, just as I said above, if there are gritty particles in the engine oil you got from your tranny, then the tranny is toast. A good tranny oil should be pinkish in color.
Re: Kindly Help Find A Solution To This Issue by kentornic: 2:45am On May 01, 2016
[quote author=cocoduck post=45181772]That is why white people say every reader is a leader, you buy a car, even if it is second hand, you by omission or commission refuse to read ur owner's manual, you don't know that you must change the tranny oil, just as u change the engine oil, and must use the recommended oil ONLY. Oils degrade as they are subjected to heat, hence the tranny oil change should be made part of the maintenance. Now you are going spiritual, just as I said above, if there are gritty particles in the engine oil you got from your tranny, then the tranny is toast. A good tranny oil should be pinkish in color.

(1) (Reply)

See The Last 2017 Mercedes-maybach G650 Landaulet Sold For 500 Million Naira / Car Exhaust Smoke And What It Means For Your Car / Need A Good Mechanic Around Ikorodu , Agric

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.