Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,200 members, 7,818,666 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:17 PM

Hair Questions! Post Them Here - Fashion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Hair Questions! Post Them Here (37150 Views)

The 2 Most Popular Hair Questions.. I Guess / Got/want Cute Ankara Styles, Post Them Up! / Fashion ~ Beauty & Grooming Tips : Post Them Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Sissy3(f): 6:48am On Apr 22, 2010
ubiaa5:

good for u Sissy,my hair is so bushy,going 4 mths is a long strech for me,usually my hair is in braids after the second mth,so what other stuffs do you do or use to mentain your hair,do you have a certain lenght or goal in mind or do u just want it healthy.

my dear if you want to talk to or see a stubborn hair contact my hair directly lol. our own love hate relationship na die. i don't have a certain length in mind and am not trying to get a certain one, i just want it healthy, length is the least of my hair priorities. its braids and very good flat iron, good conditioner and am still trying to get myself into trying/more weavons,they help with stretching if youre into it and anything protective styles . i was looking into brazilian keratin treatment but not anymore.am satisfied with other various protective styles. i think you can stretch it longer, if you really plan it out. how long do you usually carry your braid?

uzoo:

here are some more tips for your hair

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=373129.msg5209196#msg5209196

i swear am extremely lazy for all these natural mixing things embarassed sad embarassed. i hail una sha grin
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by ubiaa5(f): 7:10pm On Apr 22, 2010
~Sissy~:

my dear if you want to talk to or see a stubborn hair contact my hair directly lol. our own love hate relationship na die. i don't have a certain length in mind and am not trying to get a certain one, i just want it healthy, length is the least of my hair priorities. its braids and very good flat iron, good conditioner and am still trying to get myself into trying/more weavons,they help with stretching if youre into it and anything protective styles . i was looking into brazilian keratin treatment but not anymore.am satisfied with other various protective styles. i think you can stretch it longer, if you really plan it out. how long do you usually carry your braid?

i swear am extremely lazy for all these natural mixing things embarassed sad embarassed. i hail una sha grin
there is no way your hair is more stubborn than mine, i am yet to find a relaxer that will properly straighten my hair,when ever i relax my hair goes back to almost natural after the first wash,i have given up at this point,anyway i still havent been able to get on the weave bandwagon,i have had one,once in my life and that was for my wedding,it just feels so artificial,but i like it on others tho. I keep my braids btwn 6 -8 ks.i also love buns,my hair is quite long ,so i do a sock bun all the time.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Sissy3(f): 11:57pm On Apr 22, 2010
ubiaa5:

there is no way your hair is more stubborn than mine, i am yet to find a relaxer that will properly straighten my hair,when ever i relax my hair goes back to almost natural after the first wash,i have given up at this point,anyway i still havent been able to get on the weave bandwagon,i have had one,once in my life and that was for my wedding,it just feels so artificial,but i like it on others tho. I keep my braids btwn 6 -8 ks.i also love buns,my hair is quite long ,so i do a sock bun all the time.

wow thats bad. what kind of relaxer do you use? do you relax at home or at salon, if at home do you use a lye or no lye relaxer? yea, i havent been able to join the wagon too, but it all depends on who does it. some are done so well you can hardly differentiate it from a real hair while others are just too akatarish that you hate it with passion. i usually carry mine 3months retouching the loose parts esp the fronts. i love buns too, they are easy and gets the hair off me! do you flat iron your natural hair?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by ubiaa5(f): 6:14pm On Apr 23, 2010
i use affirm or design essentials(lye) at the salon,when i self relax which i do more often now to save money(yeah) i use ors olive oil(no lye).on day one my hair is all sleek and shiny and all,but one wash later its back to square one. i do flat iron my hair but not very often,usually when i have someone to help,for the life of me i cant wrangle my hands round to the back of my hair.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Sissy3(f): 3:28am On Apr 24, 2010
its probably your hair texture. i mean affirm and DS are really good. ORS isnt bad either, unless youre willing to give other relaxers a try. i flat iron myself sometimes at home only when i am relaxed and have enough time lol , if am not, i go to salon and let straight it out, and the man does it so good that people i think am lying when i tell them its flat iron not relaxer
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Ejadamen(f): 8:49pm On Apr 24, 2010
Question!
I have just braided and I know I should still moisturize and seal with oil daily. I use ORS Olive oil creme to moisturize. How will I use the creme to moisturize the braids? Or should I do a mix of the creme and water and use to spray
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by ubiaa5(f): 9:55pm On Apr 24, 2010
@eja if u could find a braid spray that would do,african royale has a good one, but then again your method might work if you can get it to a sprayable consistency. @sissy how u doin!
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Sissy3(f): 8:01am On Apr 25, 2010
am fine dear, how u doin too
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Ejadamen(f): 5:43pm On Apr 25, 2010
ubiaa5:

@eja if u could find a braid spray that would do,african royale has a good one, but then again your method might work if you can get it to a sprayable consistency. @sissy how u doin!
Isn't braid spray just oil

How do you wash your braids. I have braids in and before I started taking care of them,I would just grease it whenever it looked dry. Now that I know better and have braids in, I cannot figure out how to wash it. Oh and does one deep condition on braids?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by ubiaa5(f): 4:09pm On Apr 26, 2010
I am not an expert,am just learning to take care of my hair like others so let me tell you what works for me, i usually divide my braids into about six part(depending on size of braids)i dilute my shampoo into a very runy consistency,spray onto my scalp, massage gently and rinse out,as always with washing hair the scalp is the most important part not the lenght of the hair.I (me) dont deep condition my braid, i just condition and wash out by the end of my shower,but some people do so whatever works for you.btw the braid spray has moisturisers in it so its not all oil.@sissy am great.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Ejadamen(f): 8:10pm On Apr 27, 2010
Thanks ubia
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Ejadamen(f): 8:59pm On Apr 28, 2010
Ejadamen:

I checked, no petroleum. Not sure if there was mineral oil but will check again.
It has no mineral oil and no petroleum i.e. Emily Millionaire coconut oil creme.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by rubi(f): 4:32pm On Aug 25, 2010
Nice thread thump up to the poster!!!
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by chi21: 5:36pm On Aug 25, 2010
laniks@ how do make my hair grow longer and healthy i use shea butter
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:25am On Aug 26, 2010
^is it relaxed?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by chi21: 1:43pm On Aug 26, 2010
ThiefOfHearts:

^is it relaxed?

yes it is started using it new. so which one do you use
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by loveevlon: 10:20pm On Feb 10, 2011
Hi
Have any one try lace wig?If yes did you uesd glue or tape?i want to know that did you want to African with and for how long did it stay on you head one week two week ro more?Because i am going to African and i dont know if the glue or the tape can stand the heat.Hope i get an answer soon.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:53am On Feb 11, 2011
glue and tape arent good for hair. Use bobbi pins
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Nobody: 5:00am On Jun 18, 2011
Hair related; How do i get a short black fro?

short black fro, i hope that's the name? short dread locks like hair like what okocha is sporting bellow.
i've grown my hair but i'm tired of just combing it and keeping it in a bop. i want it to have some attitude/swag.
what do i need to do, hair cream, conditioner etc. Please guys that keep dreads/braids do offer me a tip or two or point me in the right direction for online tips.
Peace!

Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Nobody: 10:30pm On Oct 31, 2011
smileyI have very stubborn hair, relaxers don't work, I have tried virtually everything, 4rm regular strength 2 super. Please I need help desperately, the hair is 2 stubborn, I can manage 2 straighten d hair which last 4 a few hours but then its back .
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by WAVixen: 6:37pm On Nov 04, 2011
Ok, here goes. I always loved short hair. easy to maintain and makes you look younger and fresh. My hair is very weak and brittle when relaxed, tried for a year to maintain natural hair weaving and braiding. walk in my sister who convinces me we are in jet age and the creamy crack walks in to destroy my hair. now the scalp is itchy, wont be caught dead with my natural hair. The worst bit is the frontal side is like a Benin cheif!  I have been watching a lot of vids on Youtube about natural hair and the big chop, transitioning etc. I know we have wonderful hair. I'm a bit nervous but know this is what I need for healthy looking hair. I'll include a frontal view of my hair under a weave so you see how colosial the damage is.
Help me has I go for the Big scrap this week end.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by InkedNerd(f): 4:07am On Nov 07, 2011
WAVixen:

Ok, here goes. I always loved short hair. easy to maintain and makes you look younger and fresh. My hair is very weak and brittle when relaxed, tried for a year to maintain natural hair weaving and braiding. walk in my sister who convinces me we are in jet age and the creamy crack walks in to destroy my hair. now the scalp is itchy, wont be caught dead with my natural hair. The worst bit is the frontal side is like a Benin cheif!  I have been watching a lot of vids on Youtube about natural hair and the big chop, transitioning etc. I know we have wonderful hair. I'm a bit nervous but know this is what I need for healthy looking hair. I'll include a frontal view of my hair under a weave so you see how colosial the damage is.
Help me has I go for the Big scrap this week end.

My question may seem biased but, why would you want to continue mutilating your hair if you know what you are doing is the reason why your hair is the way it is? It makes no sense to me. I see countless women jumping through hoops to perm their hair when they know the damage that I will do to their hair undecided
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by waterworks(f): 6:29am On Nov 22, 2011
hello inked nerd
I am sorry for your loss of your hair and how you cant be caught dead with it. I used to be like you. I cant say i know what it like to have natural hair cos i havent had it since i was 12 so there. But i do know not cos your hair is relaxed means your hair will be damaged. you can have healthy realaxed hair! you have to kae care of it. relax every 10 weeks not everty 4 weeks! if you follow a few simple rules you will have healthy hair

1, moisturise moisturise moistorise. you need to keep you scalp and ends moisturized to avoid breakage. MOISTURIZE AT LEAST EVERY OTHER DAY.
2. WASH WASH WASH! your hair needs to be clean to grow healthy. wash at least once a week to keep it soft and clean.
3. STOP HEAT! heat on your hair damages it. reduce it to at most once a month! use soft rollers to curl, wrap the hair at night to give it wave in the morning. stop blowdrying too! air dry or wrap dry!
4. TRIM: trim every 6 - 8 weeks to remove split ends and stop your precious hair from breaking. (with real shears for hair or brand new sharp scissors, dont use the scissors to cut anything else to keep it sharp.)
5.!!!DEEP CONDITION!!!! this is the secret to surviving between relaxers. i deep condition every time i wash my hair.
6. PROTECT IT: when you go to bed protect your hair with a scarf . wrapping is the best way. it will keep it soft in the morning and the ends will not be bent or break.
7.WAIT TWO WEEKS : Even the relaxer box tells you not to relax until two weeks after you just took out your braids,weave etc. wait 2 weeks in between weaves and braids too.
8. WATCH OUT FOR WATER AND SWEAT: When you hair is natural water is your best friend but when its relaxed be very very CAREFULL! water makes your hair dry and frizzy so this is why you have to keep moisturising if you ever get caught in the rain make sure u moisturise the tips and hair thoroughly. Same for sweat i.e when you work out. dry to avoid the sweat spreading through the length of your hair. do this by packing up your hair.

HOW TO DO THESE THINGS:
Moisturizing can be very annoying. to help me do it better in a fun way i put it in a bottle with a spray cap so all i do is part the hair and spray the scalp takes 5 minutes and my hands dont get very messy. (my moisturiser is a mix of oils)

deep conditioning: after washing your hair with shampoo, towel dry by patting DONT RUB! i usually mix my conditioner with a few oils to lets it sink in.
I put coconut oil, jojoba oil, shearbutter oil and olive oil in a bowl and mix. i add the conditioner and put in my hair making sure to cover from roots to tips and scalp. and comb through and put in a shower cap. i wait for 45 minutes or use a blow dryer for 15 minutes. (use the lowest heat!) after i wash my hair i can feel it silky and soft and smooth. i keep relaxer in for 12 weeks somtimes and once i deep condition my hair feel like its back in the early stages and easy to comb!! i then moisturise with all these oils again. (TRUST ME WHEN YOU TRY THIS YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK!!)

YOU DO NOT NEED TO WASH YOUR HAIR EVERY TWO DAYS OR THREE DAYS THIS IS BECAUSE YOU NEED THE OILS IN YOUR HAIR TO KEEP ITS MOISTURIZED AND PREVENT BREAKAGE. washing it removes the natural oils which are not so much in the first place!
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by nike4luv(f): 2:15pm On Nov 23, 2011
Quick advice needed,
I have been natural for about a year now and thinking of installing some brazillian hair. Do you suggest i leave a little hair out or have a full head weave with a side fringe (which am mostly used to). Some people are of the opinion that the beauty of having brazillian fixed in is the fact that hair is left out and it blends in well. I personaly dont like hair left out because you are kind of stuck to that same part and style. So what do you suggest? Hair left out or full head weave with a side fringe?

Thank yoo
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by dalli: 10:55pm On Jul 05, 2012
Does anyone know where i can get sisterlocks done properly in Lagos? I now have natural hair and would like to have sisterlocks but I now live in Lagos. Please help. Thank you
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by dalli: 10:57pm On Jul 05, 2012
Does anyone know where I can get sisterlocks done properly in Lagos? Thanks
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Anyanwu68(m): 11:21am On Nov 14, 2013
[color=#000099][/color]what are the affordable Nigeria products that I can use to regain the dark color of my hair other than dye?friends advised me to use Nature vital Shampoo in washing the hair,and I should also use So-fine hair cream,but it is nt working,I really need your help fellow Nairalander.....Anybody with a clue on what to do plsss help me out
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jun 27, 2014
Ejadamen: Peeps I need info on Emily Millionaire 100% natural coconut oil and ish creme. I saw it,love the look,scent and ingredients. What I want to know is what can it be used for,is it a moisturizer or a leave-in conditioner or what?
i use mine as a leave in conditioner
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by meetmal03(f): 12:13am On Aug 21, 2015
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jun 01, 2019
That's magnificent and classic :-)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Women Are Better-Off Without Bras - Research Claims / A Woman With Tribal Marks Was Transformed With Makeup (Pictures) / See Pretty Ladies That Turned-up At Most Beautiful Model In Nigeria TV Screening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.