Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,874 members, 7,817,574 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

Hair Questions! Post Them Here - Fashion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Hair Questions! Post Them Here (37145 Views)

The 2 Most Popular Hair Questions.. I Guess / Got/want Cute Ankara Styles, Post Them Up! / Fashion ~ Beauty & Grooming Tips : Post Them Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by oyinda3(f): 12:38am On Aug 23, 2009
^ah true dat. i used to do that but stopped because i don't wash my hair frequently enough to get rid of all the shea butter build up.
how often do u wash ur hair?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Nobody: 12:41am On Aug 23, 2009
Wrapping my hai also makes it soft. Combing your hair over and over for some minutes also helps

Sometiimes 2/3 times a week.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by chiogo(f): 12:58am On Aug 23, 2009
bluespice:

go to the first page wink
bt u should wash your hair at least once a week and at most 3 times a week
i wash mine appx thrice a week
but i alternate between co-wash n regular poo-wash
from what ive learnt, the frequency of the wash doesnt necessarily lead to breakage, but the stripping of moisture
so if u wash your hair everyday and can maintain a healthy amount of moisture. . .
u should be good to go (im in no way an expert however)

as to the perming, when i used to, ill wait like 6-8 weeks, noticed growth also
the aim of perming is to relax the grown bit so its only natural u give your hair enough time to grow a substantial amount of hair to relax,
else, u end up re-relaxing your ends which leads to weak brittle hair
Ah, thanks. smiley

Hey, do y'all wash hair twice/thrice a week even when you get a perm?

what shampoo/conditioner do y'all use? I used to use tresemme then pro. . .(something lol). Now, I use doctor miracle. I don't even know which is better.
The poster mentioned not liking Doctor Miracle products but I think the relaxer and serum are pretty good.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by bluespice(f): 1:16am On Aug 23, 2009
oyinda my hair is short
so i can get away with many things tongue

chiogo i once used to wash my hair everyday when i was a relaxie (i love this word tongue )
but then i wasnt the best at keeping my hair well as a relaxie tongue
i really dont think the regimen for washing or moisturising should differ between hair types
although, as a relaxie, the chemicals strip the hair of all form of protection so ull have to work 1 1/2 times to keep ur hair looking healthy and being actually healthy

again all of this is based on my opinion
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by chiogo(f): 1:41am On Aug 23, 2009
LOL@ relaxie. . .yeah, it's hard to cope with.
you get addicted to the relaxing too even though the whole process is all tiring. sometimes, I'm just too lazy for it such as now it's summer and I don't have to go to school so I left my hair w/o relaxer for almost 2 months now shocked but school is starting soon. And natural hair doesn't cut it for me, I don't see myself maintaining that either, it's way harder than using relaxers.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by oyinda3(f): 2:11am On Aug 23, 2009
hmm then i'll say wash once a week and condition twice a week. i think it's easier to wash and condition relaxed hair than natural hair. less tangles lol
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by chiogo(f): 2:49am On Aug 23, 2009
I condition my hair every time I wash it.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by oyinda3(f): 2:52am On Aug 23, 2009
i mean condition in the middle of the week without using shampoo first. they call it co-wash. the other time i guess will be after shampoo
but what works for one person won't necessarily work for the next person i guess so stick with your regimen if it's what works for you
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by chiogo(f): 2:55am On Aug 23, 2009
Oh really? I never tried that but I hear people say they condition their hair. I'm always like, "aren't you supposed to each time you wash your hair?" lol

But I just bought the 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner all in one. lol guess that won't be possible.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by oyinda3(f): 2:57am On Aug 23, 2009
yea ur supposed to condition every time u shampoo but some ppl don't like to shampoo all the time (points finger at myself) so they use the conditioner by itself once in a while.

2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner hmmm never tried that. how is it? does it lather well and how does ur hair feel after u use it?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by chiogo(f): 3:00am On Aug 23, 2009
I just got it lol. It's a Doctor miracle's product, I figured since I use the relaxer and serum, I might as well use the shampoo and conditioner too. I'll report back after I use it.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Sissy3(f): 3:15am On Aug 23, 2009
@ chiogo

methinks youre over processing your hair by relaxing it every month. it's too just stress on your hair. if you cant stretch your relaxer, by doing protective styles like braids, sew ins, buns etc then try and keep the relaxing down and get it done around 3-4months not every month.

make sure you use a very good deep conditioner, and do hot oil treatments. and protein treatments maybe once a month/2months.

but try as much as you can to stretch your relaxer. do more protective styles
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by chiogo(f): 3:20am On Aug 23, 2009
yea, I haven't relaxed it in almost 8 weeks now(2 months). The only other time I didn't relax it for this long was when I had my braids earlier this year.

How do the hot oil and protein treatment thing work? do you buy them or what?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by bluespice(f): 3:32am On Aug 23, 2009
okay, u reeeeeaaly need to read the first page of this thread! cheesy
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by chiogo(f): 3:33am On Aug 23, 2009
haha, I skipped thru it. Ok, will do that. tongue
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Sissy3(f): 3:38am On Aug 23, 2009
yup, you should be doing those types protective styles. the protein treatment you buy in a store, currently am using the aphgoee protein treatment, you can buy it at sallys or some beauty stores and it works for me. the hot oil treatment you mix at home. the protein treatment strengthens your hair etc however, it's not to be use regularly. it could lead to hair damage. some people usually do it before getting a relaxer, but whenever you choose to do it not do it regularly.the hot oil moisturizers your hair and it helps with dry/damaged hair
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by chiogo(f): 3:46am On Aug 23, 2009
Ok. . .how do you mix the hot oil treatment at home. . .like what are the ingredients, just oil?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Sissy3(f): 4:02am On Aug 23, 2009
i use 3teaspoons of jojoba oil/olive oil/coconut oil/canola oil, any one would work. then warm it in a microwave or in a hot water dont make it too hot. you wouldnt want to burn your scalps. some beauty stores do sell hot oil treatments you can equally buy it instead doing the mixing. anyone would work. then apply it to your hair, from end to root and gently massage your scalps. your hair has to be washed and dried i wrap mine with a plastic cap and let it sit for a about 15 to 30mintues then wash it off and style. you can get one of those little squeeze tubes they sell at stores to use in mixing/applying the oil. it's much easier and less messy with little tubes. make sure you apply thoroughly all over your hair. you can do the treatment once a wk or as you wish
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by chiogo(f): 4:05am On Aug 23, 2009
Ok, I know what you're talking about, never bought one though.
Thanks smiley I'll try your tips.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Tatase(f): 11:56pm On Aug 23, 2009
I'm a relaxie ( Wink ) and I wash my hair at least 2 times a week and airdry using the scarf method and leave-ins (like neutrogena silk touch)to prevent poof and frizz. I deep condition with a shower cap (with cholesterol<+honey sometimes>wink everytime I wash (so that's 2ce a week).If I'm washing more than 2ce a week, then the 3rd+ wash is a co-wash (washing with any regular conditioner, I'm using the Body Shop honey shampoo and conditioner right now but next I want to try Aussie Moist or Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship).

I do a light protein treatment (Aphogee 2-minute or Joico K-Pak DPR or Hair Mayonnaise) once a week on dry hair (with a shower cap for at least 1.5hrs) right before my wash. I relax my hair every 8-10 weeks (more like 10 but sometime up to 12 weeks depending on how the hair is doing). I think relaxing every month IS too soon. Even every 6 weeks like it says on the box I think is also too soon. Some people wait long periods between relaxing like 4-6 months. I know I've done that and I had a lot of issues with shedding and tangling and lost thickness as a result. The best hair thickening secret (or non-secret) I know is sealing ends and massaging roots with castor oil.

@ chiogo,

I don't know if a shampoo/conditioner combo is enough to properly condition your hair. Even my brother has come to see the light in having a separate conditioner (he used to use a combo shampoo/conditioner 2-in-1) after I forced (bet him he'd like it) him to try a separate conditioner and use S-Curl to moisturize; he's now a convert. If your hair is properly moisturized, you'll see an instant difference.
Also, be very watchful about Dr. Miracle. Stop using it if it messes up your hair because I've never met anyone who doesn't have horror stories to tell about this line. I hope it works for you though.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by chiogo(f): 12:10am On Aug 24, 2009
Tatase:

I'm a relaxie ( wink ) and I wash my hair at least 2 times a week and airdry using the scarf method and leave-ins (like neutrogena silk touch)to prevent poof and frizz. I deep condition with a shower cap (with cholesterol<+honey sometimes>wink everytime I wash (so that's 2ce a week).If I'm washing more than 2ce a week, then the 3rd+ wash is a co-wash (washing with any regular conditioner, I'm using the Body Shop honey shampoo and conditioner right now but next I want to try Aussie Moist or Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship).

I do a light protein treatment (Aphogee 2-minute or Joico K-Pak DPR or Hair Mayonnaise) once a week on dry hair (with a shower cap for at least 1.5hrs) right before my wash. I relax my hair every 8-10 weeks (more like 10 but sometime up to 12 weeks depending on how the hair is doing). I think relaxing every month IS too soon. Even every 6 weeks like it says on the box I think is also too soon. Some people wait long periods between relaxing like 4-6 months. I know I've done that and I had a lot of issues with shedding and tangling and lost thickness as a result. The best hair thickening secret (or non-secret) I know is sealing ends and massaging roots with castor oil.

@ chiogo,

I don't know if a shampoo/conditioner combo is enough to properly condition your hair. Even my brother has come to see the light in having a separate conditioner (he used to use a combo shampoo/conditioner 2-in-1) after I forced (bet him he'd like it) him to try a separate conditioner and use S-Curl to moisturize; he's now a convert. If your hair is properly moisturized, you'll see an instant difference.
Also, be very watchful about Dr. Miracle. Stop using it if it messes up your hair because I've never met anyone who doesn't have horror stories to tell about this line. I hope it works for you though.

LOL really? well I actually noticed hair growth since I started using the relaxer kit and serum. And yeah, I do realize I relax my hair too often, can't help it. My hair gets too full when I don't and harder to wear in a pony-tail(my favorite style) lol I guess I need to grow up. 4-6 months is definitely too long shocked I could never do that. 2 months will be fine.

Yeah, I don't trust the whole 2-in-one thing, I'm just being cheap. I definitely have other conditioners on the side, just experimenting with this since it's a doctor miracle's product too.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by laniks: 8:35pm On Aug 24, 2009
I agree 2-1 thing is not enough conditioner. You are definitely relaxing your hair too much!
how do you relax? How long does the relaxer stay in your head? how many times do you wash the relaxer out?

I personally noticed that my hair is more easier to deal with and grows faster when I am not relaxed! I think learning your hair is key here! No one wants to put in the work it takes to nurture your hair! please ladies, I am in the hair replacement business, and seeing a lot of black women with alopecia caused from " too tight ponytails" relaxers, over processing, heat and too tight braids is not cute! Please nurture your hair so that you may keep it!

Relaxing:
Do not over relax - relaxing once in two months is okay, only relax new growth! If you relax, hair that's already relaxed, it will shed and break,
Use a base, to protect your scalp! Wash; wash; wash and wash, rinse with Apple cider vinegar to restore its ph balance

Condition! Condition! Condition! and balance that out with a protein treatment every two months.

If your hair is properly moisturized, you will not have problems with it in its natural state.

I like tatase's regime! Only you should go easy on leave-ins because the contain protein, and you don't want too much protein in your hair.

Also, deep conditioning, once in two weeks is key! your hair will love you for it.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Tatase(f): 7:57am On Aug 25, 2009
^^^^
Ok I'll try reducing my deep conditioners maybe to once a week when i use a light protein instead of twice a week like I'm doing now. (I'm not having any problems from doing 2ce a week but I'm always happy to save on products if I can). But then what do i use when I do my mid-week wash? Regular conditioner
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by kellorah: 3:32am On Aug 27, 2009
OMDz!! Wot women go thru shocked

I use olive oil relaxer (monthly, or once every 2 months, depending on how quick I get new growths) and herbal essenses shampoo+conditioner (weekly) [or the shampoo+conditioner that comes with the relaxer] and I'm good to go!

I don't use all those shea butter/protein ish. Who has time for all that?! shocked Still, my hair comes out all soft, shiny, healthy, etc. It looks like I've been to the salon or something.

Anways, try it and ur life will b so much easier. It works for me; it can work for u too. wink wink wink
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:43am On Aug 27, 2009
Cnt believe people are relaxing every month

New growth isnt THAT scary.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by kellorah: 3:49am On Aug 27, 2009
I hate the feel of itsad
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:55am On Aug 27, 2009
Lol I hope the natural nazis dont read that and start their madness on you.

Instead of relaxing every month, if you get new growth quickly, then BRAID YOUR HAIR, or get a weave

Im 13 weeks post relaxer right now, I cant even run my hair thru my hair. Gets stuck. Im now hiding under a lace front until I relax.

Relaxing every month will ruin your head. Seriously.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by chiogo(f): 3:58am On Aug 27, 2009
LOL, thought I was the only one who relaxed every month.
But I'll stop though, it hasn't been so good to my hair.
When I was younger I didn't relax that often, little wonder my hair was very long.
I guess the stupid cold weather really affected me.  tongue

ThiefOfHearts:

Im 13 weeks post relaxer right now, I cant even run my hair thru my hair. Gets stuck. Im now hiding under a lace front until I relax.

Relaxing every month will ruin your head. Seriously.
Exactly what I dread, I like my hair smooth.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by kellorah: 4:02am On Aug 27, 2009
Nahhhh, it wontcheesy It hasn't so far, and I've been relaxing my hair for years.

And I don't braid or wear weaves, too much hassle. And it hurts!! cry
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Sissy3(f): 4:08am On Aug 27, 2009
kellorah:

Nahhhh, it wontcheesy It hasn't so far, and I've been relaxing my hair for years.

And I don't braid or wear weaves, too much hassle. And it hurts!! cry

what do you do then? just relax and comb through/flat iron all the time till you get new growth?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by kellorah: 4:11am On Aug 27, 2009
Yep!! Sometimes I weave my hair myself, but not the whole head. Just the sides.

I don't always use straightners. Only do when I realise I tied my head very tight the night before. I don't like seeing those lines.

But yea, most of the time I just comb/brush and I'm ready to go.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Sissy3(f): 4:14am On Aug 27, 2009
good for you oh! me and my hair cant do without protective styles if not one of us will run mad embarassed

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Need A Face Cream That Will Give Me A Smooth And Glowing Face / Women Are Better-Off Without Bras - Research Claims / A Woman With Tribal Marks Was Transformed With Makeup (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.