Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,191 members, 7,953,689 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 11:21 PM

Car Battery - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Battery (15729 Views)

Will You Physically Remove Your Car Battery For Someone To Use In His Car? / Why Do Mechanics Freak Out Once U put Your Car Battery On The Floor / Any Danger In Constantly Removing Your Car Battery? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Battery by Mboi: 9:55am On Jul 06, 2013
Please house, dry cell battery and the one with acid for cars, which one is better? I noticed dry cell batteries are nice but they hardly last for more than one year.
Also I need to know the price range of acid battery as I know the dry cell is around N12000
Re: Car Battery by Lovetinz(m): 6:29am On Jul 07, 2013
Dry cells are better.
They last long if they are not abused, Mine has served over 2years.
Price depends on the capacity (Amph)
If the dry cell is 12K
I would expect the acid to be about 8k
Re: Car Battery by Ikenna351(m): 4:23pm On Jul 07, 2013
Lovetinz: Dry cells are better.
They last long if they are not abused

I dont think so.

Ikenna
Re: Car Battery by Ikenna351(m): 6:03pm On Jul 07, 2013
Gel cell battery, commonly known as Dry Cell Battery, is a good alternative to the wet cell battery, but not more durable as people would claim. A dry cell battery is not heavy as the wet cell battery counterpart, hence, less weight, better fuel economy. You could leave a car sit around for a month or more, without starting it. But ad soon as you turn the ignition key, the engine would crank as if you just used the car the previous day (depends on how or what gadgets it powers while engine is off).

Make no mistake, the moment a dry cell battery discharge completely, thats the death of the battery. Yes, you could recharge and still crank the engine with it, but anytime it stays more than 24 hrs without recharging it, it discharge completely again. Unfortunately, almost all dry cell battery in Nigerian market are fake. The only difference is how fake yours is. You may leave a particular brand of battery in a car for a month without disconnecting or starting the car, but would crank the engine well next time the ignition switch is turned. The next 6 months or 1 year, you buy that same brand of battery, leave it for 2 weeks without recharging and the battery will simply discharge, to the point that it may not even power your radio.

A dry cell is maintenance free, meaning, mount and use until it dies. Once they completely discharged, they are gone. For example, if my alternator belt breaks, i wouldnt bother driving it home with the battery been discharged, because doing that means replacing the battery while replacing the broken belt (if my water pump is not driven by the broken belt). But its not the same case with the liquid acid battery. They have claimed that the indicator on the battery will show when the battery has discharged or died. Unfortunately, it doesnt work (for those in our markets, anyway). Your dry cell battery will discharge, you check the indicator,and it will be showing dark green colour. Am yet to find any dead dry cell battery with the indicator any other colour other than green. If yours have done that, you must be one of the luckiest person that have owned a genuine dry cell battery in Nigeria.

Wet cell battery (aka acid battery) is a non-maintenace free battery. The liquid inside is renewable, meaning, if the battery discharged, you simply renew the liquid inside and your battery comes back to live, like when it was new. With a wet cell battery, you drive home or to a safer place, if stranded on highway or no-mans-land, to replace a broken alternator belt. Renewing the fluid inside the battery will bring your battery back to live.

Wet cell battery is OEM battery for most cars, irrespective of brand. The car manufacturers use wet cell battery in their brand new cars on sale. Dont tell me they dont know dry cell battery exist. Dry cell batteries are mostly aftermarkets. In some car forums, some members have claimed their batteries their cars came with lasted more than 6 years. Some, 10 years. Now what is not durable about it?

Wet cell battery hates to be left unused. They are designed to be used once after the first charge. If left unused, the liquid inside will start damaging the cells inside. So leaving them for weeks or months without use is not ideal. Its better you give it out to be used by someone else pending when you are ready to use the car again, than leaving the battery in the car, whether connected or disconnected.

Wet cell battery has the tendency to spillout acid on the chassis, which will eat up the chassis, if you know what i mean. Thats why most car manuafacturers provide plastic box to house the battery, protect and stop the liquid from touch any metal part of the car.

I could go on and on, but to me, both have their advantages and disavdvantages, no matter how you want to look at it. Dry cell battery is good, but there is nothing wrong with wet cell battery either.

Note that Hybrid battery is exlcuded in my explanation above.

62 Ah dry cell battery cost 10k here in Abuja, while 75 Ah dry cell cost around 13k. Wet cell 62 Ah battery cost around 5k or so. Then, it may cost you additional 1k or so to fill the battery with the fluid and charge it for 12hrs before first use.

Ikenna.

13 Likes

Re: Car Battery by Ikenna351(m): 7:37pm On Jul 11, 2013
2 days ago, i found my D9 battery flat. So I decided to swap in my Baby's battery (sealed battery) and deal with the flat one later. A thought came to me, "How am I sure that this sealed battery is actually dry or gell cell battery?". So i checked it. Lo & behold! It was wet cell battery sealed off.

My point is that what we call dry cell battery in Nigeria market may all be wet cell battery. Only difference is that the other has caps and can be renewed, while the other is already filled up with battery liquid and seal off (cant be renewed). But there could still be dry cell ones out there though. Check it very well before you buy.

Ikenna

4 Likes

Re: Car Battery by earthrealm(m): 3:56pm On Jul 12, 2013
forgetting to turn your lights off [headlights, rear lights, interior lights etc] will drain and kill ur dry cell battery...... but a wet cell will bounce right back from the abuse, if recharged

1 Like

Re: Car Battery by ekesonbatteries(m): 6:18pm On Jun 30, 2015
Hello house, I deal on original batteries pls contact me on 08169345275.
Re: Car Battery by boldx(m): 7:43pm On Jun 30, 2015
ekesonbatteries:
Hello house, I deal on original batteries pls contact me on 08169345275.
location?
Re: Car Battery by ekesonbatteries(m): 11:56am On Jul 01, 2015
Get quality batteries @ Ekeson batteries @ 32 Ezekiel street off toyin street ikeja lagos, or contact us on 08169345275 or 07080377401 .thank you for coming

1 Share

Re: Car Battery by babafunny(m): 6:42pm On Sep 07, 2015
Battery life: To extend the battery life of your laptop computer or Tablet PC, avoid continuous partial charging as it lessens your device battery life.. for more info, follow the link below.
http://www.techvaid.com/enhance-battery-life-laptop-computer-tablet/
Re: Car Battery by SonofIssachar: 4:29pm On Aug 18, 2017
Ekeson, I just ordered a battery from you.

I will let Nairalanders know if you really sell good stuff as publicized.

ekesonbatteries:
Get quality batteries @ Ekeson batteries @ 32 Ezekiel street off toyin street ikeja lagos, or contact us on 08169345275 or 07080377401 .thank you for coming

1 Like

Re: Car Battery by goldedprince: 10:21pm On Nov 07, 2017
SonofIssachar:
Ekeson, I just ordered a battery from you.

I will let Nairalanders know if you really sell good stuff as publicized.

how was the battery
Re: Car Battery by Alexgray(m): 11:36pm On Nov 07, 2017
Mboi:
Please house, dry cell battery and the one with acid for cars, which one is better? I noticed dry cell batteries are nice but they hardly last for more than one year.
Also I need to know the price range of acid battery as I know the dry cell is around N12000
I can confirm to you that the dry cell battery you claimed to have bought for 12000 is fake except maybe its 45amps.that's why it hardly lasts more than a year. when I wanted to buy my battery 2 years ago,I personally went round to get opinions.found out some were claimed to have been made in China and cheaper and some were claimed to have been made in Europe which were more expensive.I also checked korean batteries from infinity being sold at isolo road side.I later met someone who recommended "arrow" brand to me.he sold 75 amp to me for 30000 with 2 years warranty.though I saw cheaper ones while I went round,I just finally settled for arrow and I haven't regretted buying it.but if you go to some insincere sellers,don't be surprised they have fake and original.and some are just sealed but not dry cell as you think.
Re: Car Battery by Karen458: 5:18pm On Apr 26, 2019
The best discussion which I have ever read about car batteries.

(1) (Reply)

10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain / Toyota Hiace Bus Not Starting / Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.