Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,837 members, 7,810,219 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:29 AM

Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University (34942 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Participation Thread / Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Planning Chatroom / Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals Winner: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by OAUTemitayo: 9:08pm On May 08, 2016
Neyoor:

That is far from equal distribution my brother.

We have three main tribes, our states and representatives at the NASS should be balanced if we are not practising a system of government that favours one tribe than the other. Should I tell you the no of representatives every tribes is having at the NASS? Perhaps, you would be aware of the inequality and gross marginalisation
You probably don't know that the statement you made above is suggesting that we should advanced the use of federal character from state to ethnic groups?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by emaculate99: 9:09pm On May 08, 2016
Neyoor:

That is far from equal distribution my brother.

We have three main tribes, our states and representatives at the NASS should be balanced if we are not practising a system of government that favours one tribe than the other. Should I tell you the no of representatives every tribes is having at the NASS? Perhaps, you would be aware of the inequality and gross marginalisation

We can choose to use any means we wish for representation. Those people based it what is stated by the constitution of their country and we based ours on what is stated in our own constitution. Each ethnic group is in each state. membership is opened to any member of the state. Any ethnic group can represent the state by fighting for the three seats allocated to their state. This WI prevent marginalisation as all the states except FCT that is not a state are given equal seats.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by OAUTemitayo: 9:11pm On May 08, 2016
graciousolo:

Yes, our inability to effectively practice it is the main reason we should stop pretending about it. Did you see my report on the amount of public offices dominated by Hausas and Yorubas?

Merit cannot be over-emphasized when it comes to progress and that where every Nigerian wants to be.
Tell me a single appointment in Nigerian public space that doesn't have a benchmark and where such benchmark has been sidelined on the basis of federal character?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Caracta(f): 9:13pm On May 08, 2016
My question for Neyoor and Graciousolo (any or both of you is free to answer):

Do you think the present rot and corruption in our public offices were caused by the embrace of federal character? Would we have faired better or differently if federal character wasn't considered? Weigh the recently appointed ministers on a scale of merit and federal character and tell us your opinions of them.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 9:14pm On May 08, 2016
OAUTemitayo:
You probably don't know that the statement you made above is suggesting that we should advanced the use of federal character from state to ethnic groups?

Our states distribution is not balanced based on the fact that Nigeria is one . Hence, the reason why subjecting appointment based on this distribution would always be void and null. Merit-based system is the best answer to eradicate such oversight and error of the federal character system. Ethnic-based system would divide us further.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by emaculate99: 9:14pm On May 08, 2016
Neyoor:

Change is constant and possible in all facet of lives, infact it is the most common thing that every tribe is endowed with.

That is why I said federal character is archaic and old fashioned. We are now in a civilized world. Merit should be the yard stick and not federal character for appointment to public offices

True, change is constant and possible. If such is the case then the experiment of using a federal character that is restricted is over. Let us use a full fledged Federal Character which will aid development through peace as no state can develop without peace and will prevent people from having the feelings of marginalisation.

If this is the case, then affirmative action used in UK, USA, India, South Africa among others should have been removed. You remember that they are all heterogeneous countries. Affirmative action which federal character belongs cannot be removed for meritocracy.
For records, affirmative action is given the force of law in the countries mentioned above.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Fynestboi: 9:14pm On May 08, 2016
Graciousolo and Neyoor you have a question from one of the Judges.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Obinoscopy(m): 9:15pm On May 08, 2016
Fynestboi:

ANY QUESTIONS SIR

ANY QUESTIONS MAS
Neyoor please can you explain this line "federal character shouldn’t matter in public offices appointment because it hinders egalitarianism"

How will it hinder egalitarianism?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Fynestboi: 9:17pm On May 08, 2016
Neyoor, graciousolo

OAUTemitayo, Emaculate99

STOP THE REBUTTAL AND ATTEND TO questions raised by the judges.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by emaculate99: 9:18pm On May 08, 2016
graciousolo:

Yes, our inability to effectively practice it is the main reason we should stop pretending about it. Did you see my report on the amount of public offices dominated by Hausas and Yorubas?

Merit cannot be over-emphasized when it comes to progress and that where every Nigerian wants to be.
Can you plant a maize in the desert? It can't be possible. It was ineffective because it was not made justiciable. Look at India, south Africa, UK, USA among others, they made their own affirmative action justiciable. They gave it the force of law.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Caracta(f): 9:21pm On May 08, 2016
Emaculate99 and OAUTemidayo, is there absolute equity in Federal Character considering the numbers of ethnic groups in Nigeria and the sensitivity of public offices/appointments? What factors can Federal Character put in place to ensure no group feels cheated or silenced?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Obinoscopy(m): 9:22pm On May 08, 2016
@graciousolo, I'm particularly interested in those statistics. You said the Hausa-Fulani make up 60% of certain public offices. Now do you have the statistics of the percentage of Hausa-Fulani in the entire population? I think it'll help in the comparison.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Fynestboi: 9:23pm On May 08, 2016
cool

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Catalyst4real: 9:27pm On May 08, 2016
One word, Interesting
This will really be a tough one to crack cool
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Fynestboi: 9:27pm On May 08, 2016
Guys Questions are Pending...

Neyoor
Graciousolo
OAUTemitayo
Emaculate99
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by OAUTemitayo: 9:28pm On May 08, 2016
Caracta:
Emaculate99 and OAUTemidayo, is there absolute equity in Federal Character considering the numbers of ethnic groups in Nigeria and the sensitivity of public offices/appointments? What factors can Federal Character put in place to ensure no group feels cheated or silenced?
Definitely there is no absolute equity in the federal character putting into consideration the ethnic diversity of Nigeria. However this does not justify the removal of this stabilising principle. The ultimate solution is the organising of a Sovereign National Conference based on the ethnicity nature of the country where everybody would sit down and deliberate on the way forward!
Any attempt to remove this principle would throw this country into chaos and insecurity. Niger Delta crisis is a good example of what will befell a country with agitated ethnic groups
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Obinoscopy(m): 9:29pm On May 08, 2016
Sorry guys that my questions are coming late. Please @emaculate99 I observed ypu keep on repeating the word "justiciable". Please can you expatiate what it means for something to be "justciable"
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 9:32pm On May 08, 2016
Obinoscopy:
Neyoor please can you explain this line "federal character shouldn’t matter in public offices appointment because it hinders egalitarianism"
How will it hinder egalitarianism?

Federal character shouldn't matter in public offices appointment because it hinders egalitarianism based on this fact.

egalitarianism means equality and that is not well practised in Nigeria, especially when it comes to appointments into our public offices. Once one person is allowed to fill a post based on the fact that federal character have made it easier for him, he won't have any choice than to use that office to flood his kingsmen with the agencies he is leading and that is why it is exactly what is affecting our educational sector. Most of the VC rulling Nigerian Universities are from the region of that universities they are rulling and that's why they always make it easy to perpetrate the catchment areas scheme to disqualify some people from other region, even when they score higher than those within the catchment areas.

In a nutshell, if federal offices appointment is based on merit and not federal character. That won't give the leaders of federal offices the opportunity of neglecting equal standard as a main yardstick for employing people into their agencies.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Caracta(f): 9:33pm On May 08, 2016
Obinoscopy:
Sorry guys that my questions are coming late. Please @emaculate99 I observed ypu keep on repeating the word "justiciable". Please can you expatiate what it means for something to be "justciable"

Now you took that straight from my mind...

Add that to my question emaculate99.

And please graciousolo, tell me the source of the Hausa-Fulani 60%-70%-80% statistics in your first submission.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Fynestboi: 9:34pm On May 08, 2016
NICE ONE.

[img]http://gif.co/vfQI.gif[/img]
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by emaculate99: 9:35pm On May 08, 2016
Caracta:
Basically, there is no absolute Federal Character but there is a formula for sharing. Each state in Nigeria are to occupy 2.5- 3% of the public offices. Mere looking at it, the gap is not too large to make it noticeable. Groups will feel cheated or silenced if the gap between the appointments allocated to them is significantly larger than theirs.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by emaculate99: 9:41pm On May 08, 2016
Obinoscopy:
Caracta:

And please graciousolo, tell me the source of the Hausa-Fulani 60%-70%-80% statistics in your first submission.
If an issue is justiciable, that means a court of competent jurisdiction can hear the case and decide on it. If such issue is non-justiciable, no court have the rights to hear such case talk less of deciding on it. Federal Character is non-justiciable, that means you cannot sue the Federal Government to a Federal Court for the non implementation of this policy.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Caracta(f): 9:44pm On May 08, 2016
emaculate99:
If an issue is justiciable, that means a court of competent jurisdiction can hear the case and decide on it. If such issue is non-justiciable, no court have the rights to hear such case talk less of deciding on it. Federal Character is non-justiciable, that means you cannot sue the Federal Government to a Federal Court for its non implementation of such policy.

Hmmm. That means the government can decide to preach it but not practise it? Does that mean the principle does not hold water in reality?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by graciousolo(m): 9:45pm On May 08, 2016
Caracta:

According to Wikipedia, Hausa-Fulani sums up a total of 29% population of the country.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hausa-Fulani

http://chrisdonasco..com.ng/2014/02/federal-character-princinple-and-in.html?m=1

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 9:46pm On May 08, 2016
[url][/url]
Caracta:
Do you think the present rot and corruption in our public offices were caused by the embrace of federal character? Would we have faired better or differently if federal character wasn't considered? Weigh the recently appointed ministers on a scale of merit and federal character and tell us your opinions of them.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 9:47pm On May 08, 2016
Caracta:

Thank you Ma for this question. To a reasonable extent Ma, we can conclude that Federal character has contributed immensely to the rot and corruption in public offices. Nigeria would have been better without that archaic principle as competent individuals will be in the helm of affairs with merit consideration. If federal character wasn't considered, we would have lesser no of ministers and it won't necessarily means that ministers must come from every state in Nigeria. Just as it is in other countries like U.S.A. They select lesser number of cabinets and they subject them to their legislative arm for ratification.

Well, as for the recently appointed ministers in the country. One will plainly see that Federal character was put into consideration and that's why president Buhari was lamenting before selecting them that we don't need these outrageous number of ministers. Infact, that's why we have two ministers occupying one portfolio even when permanent secretaries are in place. The problem is that the ministers are two many and that's why they don't have anything to do than to embezzle our money. If federal character wasn't in place. We would have fewer number of ministers and this would effect a positive result in our country.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by emaculate99: 9:48pm On May 08, 2016
Caracta:

Hmmm. That means the government can decide to preach it but not practise it? Does that mean the principle does not hold water in reality?

I guess no clarification is coming.

Based on the constitution of Nigeria, the government can choose to forgo it. That is why ethnicism has taken over our public office appointments. You know Nigeria is ethnically conscious. The principle does not matter in public office that's why we want it to matter. If its non-justiciability is removed, the principle will matter in the appointments into public offices.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Fynestboi: 9:49pm On May 08, 2016
Nice nice.

[img]http://gif.co/o760.gif[/img]

However, check through the thread for questions. Avoid leaving any questions unanswered.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by OAUTemitayo: 9:50pm On May 08, 2016
Caracta:

No it doesn't means that the principle does not hold water.
The reason why it is cannot be contested in the law of court is that different ethnic groups can give different meaning to the word implementation!
The Egbados of Ogun state can decide to go to court if an Egba of Ogun state is selected for a public office. Allowing the federal principle to be debatable before the law court will lead incessant law suits that will cause tension in the polity.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Caracta(f): 9:57pm On May 08, 2016
emaculate99:

Do you mean the principle as practiced in Nigeria? I need clarification please.

Yes Nigeria and other countries of the world.

Fynestboi, no further questions from me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Adekunle Ajasin University / Photo: 'rag Day' As Celebrated In FUT Minna / Two IMSU Lecturers Fighting Over Who To Use A Class (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.