Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,640 members, 7,820,249 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University (34993 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Participation Thread / Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Planning Chatroom / Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals Winner: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Fynestboi: 9:58pm On May 08, 2016
Caracta:

Yes Nigeria and other countries of the world.

Fynestboi, no further questions from me.

Noted MA.

Obinoscopy how about you sir?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Obinoscopy(m): 10:01pm On May 08, 2016
Fynestboi:

Noted MA.

Obinoscopy how about you sir?
I'm done smiley
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Abuklaw(m): 10:01pm On May 08, 2016
This is keenly contested and eruditely debated. Good job by both parties. Only winners will emerge from this and no loser at all.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Fynestboi: 10:02pm On May 08, 2016
Ishilove anything from you ma?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by emaculate99: 10:03pm On May 08, 2016
Caracta:

Yes Nigeria and other countries of the world.

Fynestboi, no further questions from me.
Thanks for the clarification. The principle is a form of affirmative action. Affirmative action is enforceable in other countries like UK (as positive discrimination), India (as reservation), USA (as Affirmative Action), South Africa (as affirmative action ), Canada (as employment equity) among others. All these principles are made enforceable but Nigeria's Federal Character is not made enforceable. The removal of its non-justiciability is what we want for it to matter like other forms of affirmative action.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Fynestboi: 10:04pm On May 08, 2016
[size=15pt]AUDIENCE[/size] IT'S SHOW TIME

LET SEE HOW YOU CAN ENGAGE THE DEBATERS ON

THE TOPIC.

Topic: "Should Federal Character Matter in public offices appointment?".

OAU (Supporting)
Unilorin (Opposing)

Leego.

You have just 30mins

[img]http://gif.co/vfQI.gif[/img]
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Fynestboi: 10:06pm On May 08, 2016
Obinoscopy:
I'm done smiley

Expecting your result then sir.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by fattahnoni(m): 10:12pm On May 08, 2016
Nice job my people Kudos to the both school
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Fynestboi: 10:14pm On May 08, 2016
[size=18pt]AUDIENCE

I dey wait.
[/size]

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Tourshaw: 10:27pm On May 08, 2016
@OAUTemitayo and emaculate99,

I'm delighted reading your essays and at the same time, I'm disappointed that you are arguing for federal character and you didn't at all talk about some subsets of Federal of character, like catchment areas and quota system. If you can say something about it, it will really depict the fact that you have researched this sensitive topic to a convincing doubt and you have the good appreciation of it.

Thanks in anticipation

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Paulpaulpaul(m): 10:28pm On May 08, 2016
Intellectual engagement, Bravo
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by drtwist(m): 10:32pm On May 08, 2016
emaculate99:
FEDERAL CHARACTER SHOULD MATTER IN PUBLIC OFFICES APPOINTMENT.
Omirin Emmanuel (Emaculate Ife)

Position: Support

School: OAU

For a Federation that was coerced together, lack of equal representation of the federating units is the greatest threat to the national integration of such country. This bores down to the 1914 mistake when Nigeria was coerced together without any recourse to the people's feeling. Instead of breaking up, national integration was chosen. In a bid to maintain the national integration and development, the government was faced with two options federal character: a principle of equal representation of the federating units or meritocracy: a principle that cares not for the equal representation of the federating units. If lack of equal representation is the greatest threat to national integration of a coerced country, then which out of federal character and meritocracy is a threat?

Constitutionally, appointment into public offices is expected to reflect federal character in order to aid integration. Sadly, this provision was made non-justiciable, that is, the government can forgo federal character while appointing without facing the wrath of law. Its non-justiciability has brought feelings of marginalisation in the face of visible dominance of office by some regions. This feeling has been known to have fuel protests and the fight for emancipation of the aggrieved region. If care is not taken, national insecurity and division will set in. In a bid to stop this callous consequence, federal character should be made justiciable.

Naturally, no sane person can work efficiently in an unfriendly environment. A product of marginalisation is protest. Most times, protesters prevent workers from going to their place of work thereby slowing down the productivity of the workers which in turn affect the nation's economy negatively. There might be a change of event, they might go violent by vandalising properties. But will there be any development if workers are prevented from working or properties are being vandalised? For the sake of the economy and development, federal character should be considered.

Moreover, anyone conversant with the world will note that federal character is not alien. It is the quota based form of affirmative action that is given full force of law in UK, US, India, Canada, South Africa among others. The love the government of these countries have for their people necessitated their choice of not sacrificing integration on the altar of meritocracy. If these countries practice affirmative action for the purpose of integration, why then should Federal Character not matter in appointments?

On the 5th day of May, 2016, Mr drtwist, a south-southerner, took to Nairaland to explain how being from the richest region in the country had not helped him secure a place in the military after years of "searching" while his "brothers" from the north were easily recruited - feeling neglected. This was how Niger Delta Militancy started. It comprised of young men in the region who were dissatisfied with their inability to find jobs, destruction of their lands and rivers (which served as means of survival) without any intervention from the government. Suffering and poverty became the order of the day. If care is not taken, Mr Drtwist and the rest, can be turned into readymade tools in the hands of the Niger Delta militants.

Analogically, democracy is a government based on majority's wish and not merit. Just like democracy, Federal Character is based on the wish of not being marginalised. Wish of the people is a driver for the two concepts. It is apparent that people's wish is given great esteem in the world. If that is not the case, aristocracy should have been more popular than democracy since it gives room for the best to rule. Federal Character is our democracy, it should matter in our appointment.

Legally, the safety of the people is the supreme law; all good laws must guarantee the safety of the people directly or by implication. In a country like Nigeria where protest which might lead to chaos can spring out at the slightest scent of marginalisation like the Biafra agitation which is fuelled by their feelings of being marginalised. Which law do you think will guaranty the safety of the people more when implemented? Meritocracy that will allow marginalisation of some regions or federal character that will give no room for marginalisation? You choose!

My Daddy is a man that stands between chaos and the citizens. Each day, he cheats death and listen to the music played by gunshots on the battlefield because he wants to protect the country. He sees his friends being killed beside him but he keeps praying for God's protection as he fights for the country's unity. If you were my Daddy, would you rather choose to protest a law that will protect the country's unity which your teammates died for? I believe you would go for that which will protect the country's unity.

Meritocracy might be good but Nigeria is not yet ripe for it. Nigeria will be ripe for it when fear of marginalisation and domination is removed. She can also be ripe for it if this forced marriage is broken into pieces and ethnicity becomes a thing of the past. Till then, Nigeria should make Federal Character matter in appointments into public offices.

REFRENCE:

Biafra agitation: a bedrock to protest injustice, marginalisation.
www.elombah.com/index.php/opinion/3679-biafra-agitation-a-bedrock-to-protest-injustice-marginalisation

Southeast one of the Richest Region After Southsouth NBS report 2016- evidence
www.nairaland.com/3088004/southeast-one-richest-region-after#45339723

1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 2011 as amended.

Federal Character And Quota System in Nigeria A Good Public Policy
http://www.gamji.com/article8000/NEWS8640.htm

Nice Job bro! You strum the right string in the chord Based on the debate, but even if federal character is adopted and it's not done based on merit, the country will still remain stagnant. Have you ever wonder why it's difficult 4 us produce a Field Marshal in the military, because people with passion and dream are not being recruited into the field. Only those with connection! I have lost counts on the number of times I have been told that without the signature of either a major, Senator and Gov I should 4get about being enlisted as a Cadet. Which always end up to be so. It's painful but sometime I believe God knows the best.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by OAUTemitayo: 10:32pm On May 08, 2016
Tourshaw:
@OAUTemitayo and emaculate99,

I'm delighted reading your essays and at the same time, I'm disappointed that you are arguing for federal character and you didn't at all talk about some subsets of Federal of character, like catchment areas and quota system. If you can say something about it, it will really depict the fact that you have researched this sensitive topic to a convincing doubt and you have the good appreciation of it.

Thanks in anticipation
Brother catchment areas applies only to Education issues.
I will advice you to seek for more information on this topic instead
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by whizqueen(f): 10:34pm On May 08, 2016
Neyoor how would you explain to a lay man like me what federal character means.
Simple words and short sentence please. I don't understand grammar angry
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Fynestboi: 10:34pm On May 08, 2016
Reply. To questions as they come in...
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Fynestboi: 10:38pm On May 08, 2016
Coming from the judges (Obinoscopy! / Caracta)

Yeah, Neyoor should learn to keep his cool during arguments. Also those big grammars aren't necessary.

Also Emmaculate99 should reduce the use of technical words. The essence of a debate is to convince the audience, not confuse them
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by whizqueen(f): 10:38pm On May 08, 2016
whizqueen:
OAUtemitayo please answer thus question too
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Paulpaulpaul(m): 10:40pm On May 08, 2016
Neyoor

Don't you think total scrapping of federal character will heighten the mutual suspicion in the country?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 10:43pm On May 08, 2016
whizqueen:

Federal Character is the peculiar character or policy of a particular country, where vacancies are filled not on merit, but rather on the tribe, religion and geographical location of the people.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by OAUTemitayo: 10:45pm On May 08, 2016
whizqueen:

OAUtemitayo please answer thus question too
Federal character is a principle put in place to ensure the equal representation of every state in Nigeria in the allocation of both resources and public offices.
It's essence is to ensure that no region or ethnic group have the leverage over others in all spheres of public life
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Tourshaw: 10:46pm On May 08, 2016
OAUTemitayo:
A critical example is Governor Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti who proclaimed that he helped some Ekiti indigenes into the Federal public service. Shouldn't there be a question of how he helped them when the law stated that existing vacancies should be advertised for all intending applicants to apply? How could he have been able to do this if not for the fact that he was a member of the then ruling party? Such was the recklessness that the Governor was even the one presenting federal appointment letters to people!
This is a pointer to the fact that politicians and the top echelon of the civil service are the one responsible for the decay in the public service.

I handpicked that from your thought provoking piece. All I can say is that what you were trying to say is federal character principle is not manifested in Ekiti. In that wise, why don't you support the scrapping then, after all, it's not serving the purpose of its creation. Had it been Federal character has gone to an exile of no return, such incident like the Fayose would have gone into extinction too. If you have contrary opinion, your response will be highly appreciated always boss.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by emaculate99: 10:49pm On May 08, 2016
drtwist:

Nice Job bro! You strum the right string in the chord Based on the debate, but even if federal character is adopted and it's not done based on merit, the country will still remain stagnant. Have you ever wonder why it's difficult 4 us produce a Field Marshal in the military, because people with passion and dream are not being recruited into the field. Only those with connection! I have lost counts on the number of times I have been told that without the signature of either a major, Senator and Gov I should 4get about being enlisted as a Cadet. Which always end up to be so. It's painful but sometime I believe God knows the best.

that is the practice in Nigeria due to the fact that the federal character does not matter in appointments. If Federal Character is made to matter, such will not be the case again. Thanks boss mi.

But I believe, you will be enlisted. Many people are reading this debate and they might be able to help you.

I feel your pain.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Mojoy88(m): 10:50pm On May 08, 2016
Neyoor:

Federal Character is the peculiar character or policy of a particular country, where vacancies are filled not on merit, but rather on the tribe, religion and geographical location of the people.

Do you mean merit is not considered at all or ethnicity is considered before merit?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by newpundit: 10:51pm On May 08, 2016
OAUtemitayoand emmaculate99. Do you think the use of federal character in appointing public officers has been justified on the long run judging by the state of the nation presently??

Neyor. Don't you think the total scrap of the principle of federal character from Nigeria is too drastic a step to take right now judging by how volatile the state of the nation is?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by OAUTemitayo: 10:51pm On May 08, 2016
Tourshaw:

I handpicked that from your thought provoking piece. All I can say is that what you were trying to say is federal character principle is not manifested in Ekiti. In that wise, why don't you support the scrapping then, after all, it's not serving the purpose of its creation. Had it been Federal character has gone to an exile of no return, such incident like the Fayose would have gone into extinction too. If you have contrary opinion, your response will be highly appreciated always boss.
Systems and techniques are prone to manipulation.
The solution sometimes is not the scrapping but the plugging of the holes and vulnerabilities.
If Fayose can manipulate his way through federal government appointment process despite federal character, imagine what he can do in Ekiti state where his words are laws.
Removal is not the answer.
What you are saying is tantamount to saying Nigeria should be scrapped because we have not been able to achieve our aims since 1960
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 10:52pm On May 08, 2016
Paulpaulpaul:
Neyoor
Don't you think total scrapping of federal character will heighten the mutual suspicion in the country?

To be objective, I will opine that Federal Character should be in place but it needs to be laced with merit-based system. Total scrapping will deteriorate the country further and leaving it without modification will never give a positive result, as we would always end up in the shambles of incompetent public officers. My candid submission is that Federal Character should be, but a strict regulation should be put in place to enforce the government to adhere to its' implementation. However, merit should be used in line with federal character policy.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by whizqueen(f): 10:54pm On May 08, 2016
OAUTemitayo:
Federal character is a principle put in place to ensure the equal representation of every state in Nigeria in the allocation of both resources and public offices.
It's essence is to ensure that no region or ethnic group have the leverage over others in all spheres of public life
Thank you. I wish you luck.
Neyoor:

I've learnt one thing tonight thanks to the debaters. smiley
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by OAUTemitayo: 10:54pm On May 08, 2016
whizqueen:

I've learnt one thing tonight thanks to the debaters. smiley
Thank you ma
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by OAUTemitayo: 10:57pm On May 08, 2016
Neyoor:

To be objective, I will opine that Federal Character should be in place but it needs to be laced with merit-based system. Total scrapping will deteriorate the country further and leaving it without modification will never give a positive result, as we would always end up in the shambles of incompetent public officers. My candid submission is that Federal Character should be, but a strict regulation should be put in place to enforce the government to adhere to its' implementation. However, merit should be used in line with federal character policy.
Good you agreed it should be maintained. My brother merit is also used alongside this principle.
The problem is the politicians who allocate slots to themselves in federal agencies and ministries.
They usually circumvent the law.
You know what am talking about
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 10:57pm On May 08, 2016
Mojoy88:

Do you mean merit is not considered at all or ethnicity is considered before merit?

More emphasis is placed on ethnicity than merit. Infact, I took my time to read through the constitution and all they keep emphasizing on was that appointments should be based on the fact that it cut across every region and tribes. Perhaps, they could modify that policy in such a way that merit would be incorporated as well.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by OAUTemitayo: 10:59pm On May 08, 2016
newpundit:
OAUtemitayoand emmaculate99. Do you think the use of federal character in appointing public officers has been justified on the long run judging by the state of the nation presently??

Neyor. Don't you think the total scrap of the principle of federal character from Nigeria is too drastic a step to take right now judging by how volatile the state of the nation is?
It's is justifiable considering the tension between the ethnic groups.
It is a stabilising principle in our polity.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Tourshaw: 10:59pm On May 08, 2016
OAUTemitayo:
Brother catchment areas applies only to Education issues.
I will advice you to seek for more information on this topic instead
I think you are incorrect o. Catchment areas are areas with little or no development academically, socially and economically. So, don't limit it only to education. By the way, you didn't say anything about the quota system??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Godfrey Okoye University Orders Students To Wear Faculty Uniforms / Bad Things You Did In The University / Soldier Takes Kids To School On Scooter (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.