Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,843 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:43 AM

FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola (20338 Views)

Reconstructed Houses For 192 Refugee Families In Borno (Photos) / 7 Roads Fashola Is Inspecting On His South East Tour. / Sule Lamido & Wike Commission Reconstructed Ozuoba-Rumosi Road In Rivers(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by 989900: 8:16pm On Apr 30, 2016
First provide good roads, electricity, water, health, and anything, I will pay, we (the reasonable ones) will pay, those that are complaining already pay more for bad roads to their auto mechanics, that is if they do not pay with a limb or their lives.

I have never changed my 'shocks' on any of my cars outside the country, but in 9ja, you change them like 'oil change'.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by Charly68: 8:18pm On Apr 30, 2016
Only God knows why obj & his cronies demolished all the toll gates with unbelievable costs only for Fashola to come up with a new policy of toll gates now. What is wrong with our leaders self ?

1 Like

Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by Nobody: 8:18pm On Apr 30, 2016
modath:

https://www.chicagoskyway.org/tolls/

https://www.gov.uk/uk-toll-roads

http://goldengate.org/tolls/tollpaymentoptions.php

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_toll_roads_in_the_United_States

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toll_roads_in_Europe

You can help yourself to more since you are intent on arguing & I'm just not interested in pointless debates that won't go anywhere!!

when you are done, check each countries economy base, amount of Taxes the citizens are levied!! & the Laws guiding the conducts of the citizens & adherence to laid down procedures..

As for the minimum wage issue, check the per capita & GDP of each!! Pay is relative to a nations productivity!!!!

*mic drop*.. bye! cool

Stop sending links.

Please take your time and reread this link you sent

I have lived and traveled the Schengen countries extensively by roads and for the few that you will find toll they are usually for heavy duty truck. I have seen toll between Thessaloniki and Kavala and that cost about 2 euros. I guess you know what means in relation to their minimum wage.

As per minimum wage, you referred me to GDP, let me break this down to you, EU in total has the biggest GDP compare to any nations. In terms of sovereign states, Nigeria for instance has bigger gdp than say Belgium. I would suppose with your argument that Nigeria should fare better in terms of minimum wage and residual income. But the reverse is the case, which was why I insisted on minimum wage in relation to the toll.

So my dear we are all here to learn, it will be nice if you take your time and think logically about things, think it through but its intrinsic and extrinsic value in relation to a particular society.

We can write a whole essay on how comparing the proposed toll system to anywhere in the west you find any resemblance of a toll similar to comparing apple and oranges.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by tivta(m): 8:23pm On Apr 30, 2016
What have Nigerians brought upon themselves? There is a road tax on every liter of fuel we buy for God sake, what is happening? Are Nigerians getting value for the increase in electricity tariff? Yet you expect Fashola to perform miracles on the roads through tolls?

Obasanjo agreed that most of the tolls don't make it to government coffers, well we all shall feel the pain till 2019
Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by Nobody: 8:25pm On Apr 30, 2016
modath:

Seems I have to educate you small, OBJ scrapped it when he increased pump price, claiming "road tax" was embedded in the increment, so Ferma will take care of roads!!

Look around you, that is if you can remove your head from your nether regions long enough to see what's going on around you; where is the evidence of the road tax & the existence of Ferma?

T/

I think you didn't think this through, if 'road tax" was included in fuel price, there has never been any law/news in the last denying that. If that is the case why tax the citizens twice for same thing?

Isn't it fair and progressive to either ensure that the "road tax" as put to its intended use first or better still the "road tax" discounted from fuel price and road users can then pay toll?

In addition, what resource has been put in place to ensure that this double-tax on road will not face same fate as the 'road tax' embedded in petrol price?

Until we think constructively about little issues like this only then can we make inform decision, rather than making decisions based on emotions and how we feel about things.

Anyways am glad we are having this discussion!
Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by olamirey(f): 8:38pm On Apr 30, 2016
Fashola!thats what he is really good at.'taxing'the masses at every slight opportunity.its not fair.what do we get 2 enjoy as Nigerians in our own country
Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by SeanDada1(m): 8:38pm On Apr 30, 2016
STFUand4kMeHARD:
Tolling, taxing, deducting, levying, collecting, ticketing, tariffing ....... Agbero gofmant grin

One "chance" for real cheesy

Fashola has been taxing, tolling, deducting, levying, collecting, ticketing, tariffing from the poor masses from time immemorial. Syphoning funds to his private advantage. Demanding for toll across the states no doubt shows his incompetence and cluelessness to run the 3 ministries in his control. I'm of the opinion that he should be removed and have a capable, experienced engineer run and savage those ministries from collapse.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by naturalwaves: 8:47pm On Apr 30, 2016
booblacain:

Can some one please remind me of the alternative road that fashola built for the tolled lekki/ajah road in Lagos when he was the governor.
Seems you are usually too blind to see that very big green signpost that says "Alternative route" when you pass through there. If you don't wanna pay the toll, you take the alternative route. Simple!

2 Likes

Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by tobiasbeecher: 8:48pm On Apr 30, 2016
modath:
Brilliant!!!
[s]
Even western nations that are far ahead of Nigeria after taxing income and petrol still collect toll, their roads won't improve otherwise!!

Oh you wailers, especially the ones that probably were still in primary school when we had toll gates , crying and blackmail won't solve it, this will happen!!!

BTW, some of us love the idea of toll gates and are thrilled... A place to chill when driving taya person or tire less or hot wee wee hol person. smiley

[/s]
You are not making any sense. Just read what you wrote again and see what I'm saying

2 Likes

Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by modath(f): 8:54pm On Apr 30, 2016
woodcook:

I think you didn't think this through, if 'road tax" was included in fuel price, there has never been any law/news in the last denying that. If that is the case why tax the citizens twice for same thing?

Isn't it fair and progressive to either ensure that the "road tax" as put to its intended use first or better still the "road tax" discounted from fuel price and road users can then pay toll?

In addition, what resource has been put in place to ensure that this double-tax on road will not face same fate as the 'road tax' embedded in petrol price?

Until we think constructively about little issues like this only then can we make inform decision, rather than making decisions based on emotions and how we feel about things.

Anyways am glad we are having this discussion!

There was no "law" guiding road tax, Obasanjo in his usual way of executive order made the declaration and that was that .

http://nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/main-square/792-obasanjo-abolishes-toll-gates-nigeria.html

The problem is ; "how do we even determine in a fuel subsidy regime how much "road tax" is? especially when no govt agency can accurately come up with a data of how much PMS is actually consumed ? DPR/NNPC/PPPRA have different figures each & every time..

I asked a question which you side stepped, " What has Ferma been able to achieve within the last 10 years? I can tell you for free- as as frequent road traveler -that the roads fell into complete disrepair after the removal of toll gates....

As for the other point about Toll, you only pricked Europe and left the US (I've been in a ride with someone in a big city and my "chauffeur" decided to take an alternative route to avoid paying the couple of dollars cos it wasn't rush hour) I can't claim to have traveled all the schengen roads in Europe but been in one country and witnessed a tolling situation of regular road users.....

I'm not emotional, I'm a realist, we can't compare our ways to the west's miles apart. i'll rather pay 500 naira fro Lagos to Akure than risk having a burst tire cos of a bad portion no one will take responsibility for!! Nigeria is a peculiar place!!

Cc ; WeNigerDelta ... @ highlighted!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by eLcastro(m): 9:13pm On Apr 30, 2016
modath:

You can help yourself to more since you are intent on arguing & I'm just not interested in pointless debates that won't go anywhere!!

when you are done, check each countries economy base, amount of Taxes the citizens are levied!! & the Laws guiding the conducts of the citizens & adherence to laid down procedures..

As for the minimum wage issue, check the per capita & GDP of each!! Pay is relative to a nations productivity!!!!

*mic drop*.. bye! cool
u just myt nid to pick up the mic.,we yet to see construction of a single road nd u bablin bouh tax...aren't the tolled roads nd their alternative supposed to be ready nd test run b4 talkin bouh tax.....i watch dis ni99a drop power 4rm 5000-3000watts...so there is no way am takin him serious

1 Like

Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by WeNigerDelta: 9:14pm On Apr 30, 2016
modath:

There was no "law" guiding road tax, Obasanjo in his usual way of executive order made the declaration and that was that .

http://nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/main-square/792-obasanjo-abolishes-toll-gates-nigeria.html

As for the other point about Toll, you only pricked Europe and left the US (I've been in a ride with someone in a big city and my "chauffeur" decided to take an alternative route to avoid paying the couple of dollars cos it wasn't rush hour) I can't claim to have traveled !

Please please....Stop feeding people with lies because you don't understand how things in a place works fully...
Kindly show me a Federal highway, and Interstate in the US that has tolls...None from I-90, I-35, the famous Route 66...I can go on for days, no single toll on any...
Tolls are only in cities with large populations to help with the rush hour traffic...If you visit smaller cities and town zero tolls...
So please say what you know how you know it...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by joinnow: 9:19pm On Apr 30, 2016
rusher14:
Nothing wrong with tax and tolls.

Just use the revenue as required.
If nothing is wrong with it
Why did OBJ removed all toll gate?
Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by Nobody: 9:20pm On Apr 30, 2016
Fashola, the chief pain unleasher.
Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by Nobody: 9:23pm On Apr 30, 2016
yaki84:
baba God do something quick o for naija, d way naija hot eh n d way we r getting used to it can cause serious wahala in hell o.
cos e no go dey funny if nigerians in hell catch cold o even with the heat.
God do sommething abeg.
...God has given us freewill. He is not interested in the affairs of the world. Read the bible,it's there.
Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by Kennydoc(m): 9:23pm On Apr 30, 2016
modath:

The IB and his cronies were busy looting the treasury, oil wa trading at record high prices, no time for small small things like that.

BTW, he tried to, they just couldn't follow it through.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201111100236.html

https://www.bellanaija.com/2012/08/federal-government-announces-plans-to-reintroduce-toll-gates-on-all-federal-roads/

It takes no genius to know you are one of those that have never left their backwater communities, so probably never encountered any toll gates on our highways!

Seems I have to educate you small, OBJ scrapped it when he increased pump price, claiming "road tax" was embedded in the increment, so Ferma will take care of roads!!

Look around you, that is if you can remove your head from your nether regions long enough to see what's going on around you; where is the evidence of the road tax & the existence of Ferma?

These links should help you small, don't know why I even bother you lots!!! Swerve! Yeyenatuu.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/11-years-after-senate-urges-buhari-to-reintroduce-toll-gates/

The roads are bad not because they aren't being tolled or because there is no financial pool for their maintenance. Corruption is the only reason. Contracts for road construction and maintenance are often over inflated, and even at that, the contractors rarely do the work.
Strong political will irrespective of tolls will keep our roads in a very good shape.

Taking Anambra State as a case study, almost all the state roads are in a perfect state. Most of them aren't dualized though, but they are smooth and perfect. That's why Anambra is acclaimed to have one of the best road networks in Nigeria (you can do a Google search on it). But are you aware there is no tolled road in that state? How is the government able to maintain the roads?

Most European countries don't have tolls on their roads. As a matter of fact, tolls are usually instituted when PPP is used in road construction and rehabilitation, not when government bears the burden completely with tax payers' money. Even at that, you also consider the standard of living of the people by considering things like minimum wage, GDP per capita to determine when taxation becomes burdensome for the populace.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by precious1967(m): 9:29pm On Apr 30, 2016
sir, tell us those dt ll manned these toll gates? baba obj had his reasons b4 he demolished all d toll gates in d county. i crossed my arms o o, i dey look o.
Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by NaijaEfcc: 9:33pm On Apr 30, 2016
woodcook:

Can you please list the western nations that toll their roads. Also you should give the minimum wage in those countries in relation to the toll.
God bless you my brother, all this Zombies just know how to dey blow lie upandan without any atom of conscience!
Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by adebayo10977(m): 9:38pm On Apr 30, 2016
owobokiri:
Tax, spend, owambe. . The typical life of a south west politician. since he came onboard, this guy hasnt done much to either biuld roads or power stations. all he does is increase tarrifs and tolls on poverty battered Nigerians. Elite politicians from feudalistic clans trying hard to entrench the culture of the lords and the serfs across this over abused country.
has the budget been passed or do you expect him to use his own personal money for work.

1 Like

Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by WeNigerDelta: 9:43pm On Apr 30, 2016
modath:

As for the other point about Toll, you only pricked Europe and left the US (I've been in a ride with someone in a big city and my "chauffeur" decided to take an alternative route to avoid paying the couple of dollars cos it wasn't rush hour) I can't claim to have traveled all the schengen roads in Europe but been in one country and witnessed a tolling situation of regular road users.....

Cc ; WeNigerDelta ... @ highlighted!!

Cmon, I definitely saw the bolded before I replied.
You were using the justifications that they are tolls in the US as some sort of a reason why Federal roads should be tolled. What you had no clue about is that FEDERAL ROADS/INTERSTATE in the US are not tolled, only roads in major cities looking to reduce the hell of rush hour traffic.
Fashola is a federal minister and talking about Federal roads, using the US cities with tolls road as a justification or comparisons that our federal roads should be tolled should not fly...I just want you to understand for sure you said that way out of context.
This is over taxing and it is not done in the US for sure. That is what I wanted to clear up, it is not practiced anywhere in the US I know.
Again Federal roads in the USA are not tolled...
Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by badderdandem(m): 9:48pm On Apr 30, 2016
this mans incessant and assertion of tolls of what use is it when we are not getting dividend of democracy in this their change mantra
Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by modath(f): 9:49pm On Apr 30, 2016
Kennydoc:

The roads are bad not because they aren't being tolled or because there is no financial pool for their maintenance. Corruption is the only reason. Contracts for road construction and maintenance are often over inflated, and even at that, the contractors rarely do the work.
Strong political will irrespective of tolls will keep our roads in a very good shape.

Taking Anambra State as a case study, almost all the state roads are in a perfect state. Most of them aren't dualized though, but they are smooth and perfect. That's why Anambra is acclaimed to have one of the best road networks in Nigeria (you can do a Google search on it). But are you aware there is no tolled road in that state? How is the government able to maintain the roads?

Most European countries don't have tolls on their roads. As a matter of fact, tolls are usually instituted when PPP is used in road construction and rehabilitation, not when government bears the burden completely with tax payers' money. Even at that, you also consider the standard of living of the people by considering things like minimum wage, GDP per capita to determine when taxation becomes burdensome for the populace.

See my point, despite the Corruption, our roads were ok when they were making "income" directly,Shebi they can then complain of "no money", no tolls translated to horrible roads! I travelled between Ekiti, Kogi, & Abuja recently, it was hell!

We need to understand things aren't done normal here, we can't compare ourselves to oyinbo people... that we make petrodollars shouldn't impress on us that we can have expectations, our political class won't be that.

We suffer the effects of bad roads, the rich don't care & govt will take care of government officials vehicles... many accidents nko?

P.S..So you could be this civil? Why then do you go off most times?

1 Like

Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by t2luv1: 9:58pm On Apr 30, 2016
modath:
Brilliant!!!

Even western nations that are far ahead of Nigeria after taxing income and petrol still collect toll, their roads won't improve otherwise!!

Oh you wailers, especially the ones that probably were still in primary school when we had toll gates , crying and blackmail won't solve it, this will happen!!!

BTW, some of us love the idea of toll gates and are thrilled... A place to chill when driving taya person or tire less or hot wee wee hol person. smiley

You wrong. Do you know that in the US no Federal Highway is toll, only high way under state control are toll example the Florida Turnpike. Federal government collect six cents per gallon sold and 9 cents per gallon on diesel to fund all Federal roads. Last year the Federal Highway trust fund brought in $260B.
Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by Nobody: 10:03pm On Apr 30, 2016
FashOLE's life revolves round tolling, muitiple taxing & illegal imposition of tariff et-al! What's d benefit of being a nigerian?....
Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by edi287: 10:07pm On Apr 30, 2016
rusher14:
Nothing wrong with tax and tolls.

Just use the revenue as required.
Shikena!!! That is all we ask for.

1 Like

Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by edi287: 10:12pm On Apr 30, 2016
modath:

*mic drop*.. bye! cool
Why bother answering him?? Only a fool would have a problem with what Fashola is suggesting. Oil money has scrambled some people's brains.
Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by Kingspin(m): 10:13pm On Apr 30, 2016
This government keep repeating old stuff for us. Shouting change is now useless.
Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by Kennydoc(m): 10:14pm On Apr 30, 2016
modath:

See my point, despite the Corruption, our roads were ok when they were making "income" directly,Shebi they can then complain of "no money", no tolls translated to horrible roads! I travelled between Ekiti, Kogi, & Abuja recently, it was hell!

We need to understand things aren't done normal here, we can't compare ourselves to oyinbo people... that we make petrodollars shouldn't impress on us that we can have expectations, our political class won't be that.

We suffer the effects of bad roads, the rich don't care & govt will take care of government officials vehicles... many accidents nko?

P.S.. So you could be this civil? Why then do you go off most times?

@Statement in bold:
So if I confront you or any other person on their hypocrisy, it means I'm no longer being civil? I guess you expected a counter attack considering some nasty terms you used on me in your reply just because I said, "I shudder at your reasoning sometimes", but I'm not like that. I hate exchanging words with people, especially when negativity and vulgarity end up getting involved. I may be harsh in attacking people's hypocrisy especially your cohorts here, but rarely do I relate with people here in an uncivil manner.

Read my signature and personal text, and see that there is a minimum standard of behaviour expected of people like me. I may go below that a few times, but I don't make that a habit.

Whatever happens, let there be a sincere eradication of corruption in Nigeria, not the political exercise often being displayed. Most Nigerians won't mind spending all the money and paying all the taxes, especially when they know the money will be judiciously used.
Ciao.
Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by Nobody: 10:19pm On Apr 30, 2016
...Someday, d common man 'll be pushed beyond elastic limit!..#heartless kleptos!

1 Like

Re: FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola by modath(f): 10:33pm On Apr 30, 2016
Kennydoc:

@Statement in bold:
So if I confront you or any other person on their hypocrisy, it means I'm no longer being civil? I guess you expected a counter attack considering some nasty terms you used on me in your reply just because I said, "I shudder at your reasoning sometimes", but I'm not like that. I hate exchanging words with people, especially when negativity and vulgarity end up getting involved. I may be harsh in attacking people's hypocrisy especially your cohorts here, but rarely do I relate with people here in an uncivil manner.

Read my signature and personal text, and see that there is a minimum standard of behaviour expected of people like me. I may go below that a few times, but I don't make that a habit.

Whatever happens, let there be a sincere eradication of corruption in Nigeria, not the political exercise often being displayed. Most Nigerians won't mind spending all the money and paying all the taxes, especially when they know the money will be judiciously used.
Ciao.

That's a thinly veiled insult, you shudder cos the reasoning is faulty!!! You also don't always do as your siggy asked us to, I too may not be the sweet rose all the time but I don't court drama & 75% of the time I ignore, other times, being human takes over.

Anyway we won't flog this dead horse, there is no detribalised person, neither are we emotionless stick figures, however hypocrisy is relative!! If you don't stick up for your own, your adversaries won't, there is no hypocrisy in that! It's life....

I have hope things will favour Nigerians in the end.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"Akpabio Said Magu Will Use Them For Pepper Soup If Confirmed" - MURIC / Governor Dickson Offers Automatic Employment To All Ijaw Phd Holders / Sagay: Nigerians Displaying Ignorance Over Chinese Loans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.