Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,066 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:44 AM

Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner (6594 Views)

New Oxford Report Puts Nigeria’s Poverty Rate At 43.3% / No Reliable Statistics On Nigeria's Poverty Rate- World Bank / Sanusi Predicts Increase In Nigeria’s Poverty Level (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Fhemmmy: 6:17pm On Aug 11, 2009
,mama-gee:

Every rich Nigerian is a thief.

I beg to disagree.
It all depends on how u define richies, besides, there are clean money still in Nigeria
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Beaf: 6:34pm On Aug 11, 2009
It is difficult to get Nigerian statistics Online without having to do your own number crunching, but here's one source.

To take care of these discrepancies especially in admission for high density education areas (Oyo, Lagos, Edo, Delta, Imo, Akwa-Ibom, Cross-Rivers, Anambra States) and the low density education areas (Kaduna, Sokoto, Borno, Adamawa, Kano, Niger, Zamfara states), quota system (catchment area) has to be applied.

http://transcampus.org/JORINDV6Jun2008/JournalsV6NO1June200823.html
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Beaf: 6:37pm On Aug 11, 2009
Fhemmmy:

i am sure some of the richest nigerians are in the north as well.

I read a US commentary on Nigerias oil production yesterday. According to the article 80% of our oil money goes to just 1% of the population shocked

I can hazard an easy guess that 99% of that 1% are part of the Northern oligarchy. Yet their people are as poor and disease ridden as shit.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Nchara: 6:43pm On Aug 11, 2009
Beaf:

It is difficult to get Nigerian statistics Online without having to do your own number crunching, but here's one source.

http://transcampus.org/JORINDV6Jun2008/JournalsV6NO1June200823.html

That was just a list and does not rank the states according to their literacy levels. So why your claim? We will like to know how many people are in for e.g., Imo state and how many of those can read and write (the basic definition of literacy) as compared to say Edo state. Same for other states in the south. The North, we know already their literacy inclinations
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by AloyEmeka6: 7:33pm On Aug 11, 2009
Creation and distribution of wealth plays an important role in the over all economy of a people. Northerners do not necessarily have that culture, besides, the political census that they manipulated right under Obasanjo's nose is what is giving the world a wrong image about their population. Some things might look beneficial now but in the long run, they will turn around to haunt you. If I remember rightly, only BecomeRich pointed this bogus population figures in the north out but nobody here listened because we took him for a joker. He is right finally, isn't he?
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by AloyEmeka6: 7:38pm On Aug 11, 2009
Afaukwu:

Dem dey oppress Igbos, the people dey get better and better than their oppressors. Who talk say God no dey??
You still have a problem because even if all the igbos are well to do, their impoverished neighbors will soon outrun them and keep them uncomfortable from enjoying the wealth.

I was at Enugu last weekend and the place is totally ridden with almajiri's migrating from the North and possibly west. I asked where they came from and they told me somebody hires them in the north to beg professionally, rent a trailer to transport them down east and there was a cold war between them and the oyibo somalians in the first place but they soon outnumbered them. I am sure owerri and PH will be overrun by them come 2012. So, pray for a better tomorrow for every Nigerian and not only your people because a hungry neighbor constitutes nuisance.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Beaf: 7:39pm On Aug 11, 2009
Nchara:

That was just a list and does not rank the states according to their literacy levels. So why your claim? We will like to know how many people are in for e.g., Imo state and how many of those can read and write (the basic definition of literacy) as compared to say Edo state. Same for other states in the south. The North, we know already their literacy inclinations

That is a different kettle of fish, but I provided this list elsewhere; you can see Edo vs Imo or any other southern state.

I really don't see the need for this digression though; ain't we talking about why poverty is a Northerner?

These are literacy rates (in any language, including Yoruba) for Southern Nigeria. In English, the figures would be dramatically different. As you can see, ND does quite well. Nobody is begging ND people to be educated, thank you.

[table]
[tr][td]State[/td][td]Literacy Rate[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Lagos[/td][td]89.90[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Rivers[/td][td]82.60[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Akwa Ibom[/td][td]81.60[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Abia[/td][td]79.90[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Anambra[/td][td]77.80[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Edo[/td][td]77.00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ondo[/td][td]76.60[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Enugu[/td][td]75.60[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Cross River[/td][td]75.50[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Imo[/td][td]75.40[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ekiti[/td][td]75.00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Osun[/td][td]74.80[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Delta[/td][td]74.40[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ogun[/td][td]69.60[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Bayelsa[/td][td]68.10[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ebonyi[/td][td]57.70[/td][/tr]
[/table]

http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/cwiq/2006/survey0/outputInformation/cwiqreports.html
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by oyinda3(f): 7:42pm On Aug 11, 2009
no need stating the obvious. lol
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Fhemmmy: 7:47pm On Aug 11, 2009
Beaf:

I read a US commentary on Nigerias oil production yesterday. According to the article 80% of our oil money goes to just 1% of the population shocked

I can hazard an easy guess that 99% of that 1% are part of the Northern oligarchy. Yet their people are as poor and disease ridden as shit.

that is why i dont really feel for them, cos they so far seems to be their own worst enemy and yet they wanna blv some cleric that is telling them to kill in the name of islam.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Beaf: 7:56pm On Aug 11, 2009
sjeezy8:

literacy has nothing to do with poverty in nigeria there are alot of jobless graduates esp in the west

Literacy has nothing to do with poverty?
Looking at the list for base litteracy rates per state, Ebonyi is last by a margin. I'm quite sure that Ebonyi's low rating will translate to poverty and deprivation. If anyone looks at the figures and I'm wrong, then I will make a total apology; for the meantime, I predict Ebonyi to be the poorest Southern state or at least be in the bottom three.

The North is worse and their literacy pattern (Western) reflects this.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by ikeyman00(m): 8:02pm On Aug 11, 2009
@@@@@@@@@@@@

i wonder the reason everything has to be rocket science for some, becomerich said that and that!! NONESENse

any commonsense individual knows that nigeria need to wake its ass up fast; the world is moving and is moviing fast; yall first picture emm world economic down turn,the west and usa hasnt got so much money to give away, the india, saudis etc are moving at a moderate rate relatively with the chinese, and all the nigeria and the north could do is to create more looters

time and time nl has wittness the north braggin on how they control nigeria, hahhhhh  me laugh, but realities on ground show on emm not far future  emm they will like it or not lose their ulgy grip with all that noise on shaira dead!!! driving from east through enugu to abuja, u go see alot of mashed cassava spread on the way to dry under the sun hahha

oh well, like i always say the north is decieving themseleves; now for how long

finally it isnt suprising to see some of their elite coming out to exernorate themselves cuz they know the future is ulgy

burning churches, banin acohols, and beheadin wouldnt chnage jerk

walahi
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Nchara: 8:48pm On Aug 11, 2009
Beaf: Good that it is literacy in any language, in which case the north cannot be said to be highly illiterate since many can read and write in Arabic. Why did you give ONDO a bold face (if I may ask)? Statistically-speaking, most of the states are not significantly different as shown in your table. But can you now compare the total population of each of those states to the % literate?
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Nchara: 8:49pm On Aug 11, 2009
Beaf, you are right about Ebonyi. It is the poorest state in Igboland; dont know about the entire south though
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Beaf: 9:20pm On Aug 11, 2009
Nchara:

Beaf: Good that it is literacy in any language, in which case the north cannot be said to be highly illiterate since many can read and write in Arabic. Why did you give ONDO a bold face (if I may ask)? Statistically-speaking, most of the states are not significantly different as shown in your table. But can you now compare the total population of each of those states to the % literate?

Exactly, thats why I didn't bother to find any stuff on them.

Why is Ondo in bold? Its relevant only to the original thread I posted that list to (I needed to highlight ND states).

"But can you now compare the total population of each of those states to the % literate?" This list is the closest I could get for the base literacy per state that you asked for. I don't know, but it would seem that literacy in a Western sense would have been too much of an embarrassment for the Internet. The state of our statistics is incredibly poor, whether this is deliberate or not is another matter.
You have to do the math for that based on things like JAMB admission rates per state per population. I tend to prefer JAMB figures were they can gleaned from the dross.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by oyinda3(f): 9:22pm On Aug 11, 2009
Nchara:

so truee!!
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Nchara: 9:33pm On Aug 11, 2009
Beaf:

Exactly, thats why I didn't bother to find any stuff on them.

Why is Ondo in bold? Its relevant only to the original thread I posted that list to (I needed to highlight ND states).

"But can you now compare the total population of each of those states to the % literate?" This list is the closest I could get for the base literacy per state that you asked for. I don't know, but it would seem that literacy in a Western sense would have been too much of an embarrassment for the Internet. The state of our statistics is incredibly poor, whether this is deliberate or not is another matter.
You have to do the math for that based on things like JAMB admission rates per state per population. I tend to prefer JAMB figures were they can gleaned from the dross.
But you missed out on Imo and Abia as ND state? Please move Ondo to SW, where it rightly belongs, for the purpose of the ensuing argument. Thanks
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Beaf: 9:54pm On Aug 11, 2009
Nchara:

But you missed out on Imo and Abia as ND state? Please move Ondo to SW, where it rightly belongs, for the purpose of the ensuing argument. Thanks

Oops! I was caught between using ND and South South states.

Ondo is an ND state.

Thanks.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Bialegend(m): 10:12pm On Aug 11, 2009
Nex
Nobody got better. Some people just got worse slower than the others.

I must say that during the period I spent in the North,  the kind of comfort I saw the people exercising in poverty was unbelievable.

This was during a period where most people down South had the notion that Northern Generals were ruling, therefore the Northerners were enjoying. That was the period they suffered the most under those leaders.

As for Jigawa state, I don't even know what to say. People are suffering O! That's why when I see my people in the Niger Delta cry that they're being marginalized, they are suffering, they are poor, I laugh. When the kind of poverty in Jigawa hits down south, we will start smiling in order to conserve energy to combat hunger.

Poverty is a Northerner. I don't need CBN figures to confirm what I've seen with my own eyes.

You sounded idiotic to say the least. This is why one of the threads in this forum mentioned you nigerians as stupid. Lazy one, you have already resigned to your fate. Contented idiots. If you are not a certified arsss licker, why must the people of Niger Delta with all their oil wealth suffer at all in their lives? Why must Igbo people with all their natural and human resources suffer at in all their lives if not for the awusa/Yoruba illiterate people that clung unto power as if they know what they are doing?

Why should the people of the Southern nigeria be contented with how they are because the people of Jigawa or the entire northern nigerians are suffering more. Is it Igbo people's problem that some idiotic set of people chose to remain and wallow in ignorance, illiteracy and poverty? So, Igbo people should fold their hands and stop complaining for better living standard which is not a rocket science and which is their right because awusas in Jigawa are in much worse condition?

Your way of thinking is the reason why we Biafrans have been clamoring to leave nigeria for you imbeciles and go it alone on our own, because we can certainly do much better than what is obtained today in your hole hell called nigeria. Because some lazy and illiterate arrssholes are suffering in Jigawa, then we should not complain because we are better than them? I wonder when you stupid nigerians will think like human beings.

Those living in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Australia, Canada, USA and other well to do countries, are they not human beings? Those are the kind of people that Igbos are aspiring to become like and not those your people in Jigawa that you want us to look at and say "ohh well" we are even better than them, so we should stop complaining. Contented negros. Stop being clown arrsslickers, you lazy clowns should protest and aspire for the best for yourselves. It is not a rocket science. It is your right.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by frag(m): 10:17pm On Aug 11, 2009
Wonderful north. lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Nchara: 10:22pm On Aug 11, 2009
Beaf:

Oops! I was caught between using ND and South South states.

Ondo is an ND state.

Thanks.

So are Imo and Abia. Not so? Please pull Ondo back to SW
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by AloyEmeka6: 10:34pm On Aug 11, 2009
A case of poor people calling others poor. The whole Nigeria is rotten, there is no need patting us at the back unless your whole state and its inhabitants live well and have some kind of welfare program that takes care of the poor. I don't mean Akala's public toilet.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Bialegend(m): 10:41pm On Aug 11, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Creation and distribution of wealth plays an important role in the over all economy of a people. Northerners do not necessarily have that culture, besides, the political census that they manipulated right under Obasanjo's nose is what is giving the world a wrong image about their population. Some things might look beneficial now but in the long run, they will turn around to haunt you. If I remember rightly, only BecomeRich pointed this bogus population figures in the north out but nobody here listened because we took him for a joker. He is right finally, isn't he?
Perhaps, it is only you, due to your ITK and ignorance, and maybe becomerich himself that doesn't know the population of northern nigeria has been bogus from time immemorial. Even if you are a kid, does that stop you from searching and reading history through google that dates back to early 60s when the British inflated the census and rigged election in favor of the north to enable them clung unto power for the selfish end needs of the British? Get off your arrss and google and read my fren, and stop quoting becomerich as the source of northern nigeria's population manipulation. Such claim is an insult to other forum members.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by AbuMaryam1(m): 11:30pm On Aug 11, 2009
@ NL
Surprise will never end.  Riot  is a northerner, poverty is a northerner, illetrate is a northerner, Niger Delter issue is a northerner, defeat of Biafra is a northerner, boko haram is a northerner, mai tatsine is a northerner, marginalisatn of Igbo is a northerner. why why why why why north?? But yet  they are ALU (Arithmetic Logic Unit)of Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by ikeyman00(m): 11:33pm On Aug 11, 2009
^^^^^

yes all of them na northern

yeye people
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by ikeyman00(m): 11:35pm On Aug 11, 2009
bialegend

u should know by now aloy na 2face slowpoke

evertthing is rock science to him
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Bialegend(m): 11:48pm On Aug 11, 2009
ikeyman00:

bialegend

u should know by now aloy na 2face slowpoke

evertthing is rock science to him

That guy is delusional at best. Claiming that becomerich made us to know about the northern nigerian's population/census manipulation. That is the height of ignorance. One thing i am sure of is that this same ignorant aloy emeka didn't even believe becomerich when he was saying it then. Now, instead of referring to himself alone, he came out boldly to say that all forumers didn't believe becomerich then. Lumping others into his stupidness.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Beaf: 12:29am On Aug 12, 2009
Nchara:

So are Imo and Abia. Not so? Please pull Ondo back to SW

Did you check again before you posted that? Did you notice the edit?
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Beaf: 12:34am On Aug 12, 2009
Abu-Maryam:

@ NL
Surprise will never end. Riot is a northerner, poverty is a northerner, illetrate is a northerner, Niger Delter issue is a northerner, defeat of Biafra is a northerner, boko haram is a northerner, mai tatsine is a northerner, marginalisatn of Igbo is a northerner. why why why why why north?? But yet they are ALU (Arithmetic Logic Unit)of Nigeria.

You forgot a few; almajiri is a Northerner, begger is a Northerner, polio vaccine fighter is a Northerner. . . Above all, oligarchy is a Northerner.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Remii(m): 12:53am On Aug 12, 2009
Abu-Maryam:

@ NL
Surprise will never end.  Riot  is a northerner, poverty is a northerner, illetrate is a northerner, Niger Delter issue is a northerner, defeat of Biafra is a northerner, boko haram is a northerner, mai tatsine is a northerner, marginalisatn of Igbo is a northerner. why why why why why north?? But yet  they are ALU (Arithmetic Logic Unit)of Nigeria.

Yes, the South especialy the South South and South East are suffering from serious "Afganistanism", a condition where one refused to deal with local source of problem and believe all his problems are caused by far, foreign and remote people. If the Southern leaders are so weak and could not influence anything and not responsible for anything good or bad, why not remove all of them and hire the all powerful  Northners to represent the South also. lol.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Nchara: 1:00am On Aug 12, 2009
I expect that Lagos should have the highest literacy level, being where ''everything'' that has to do with communication in Nigeria goes on. But the figure for Lagos is not simply attributable to SW because Lagos comprises people from other zones in significant numbers.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by bilymuse: 10:17pm On Aug 12, 2009
A case of poor people calling others poor. The whole Nigeria is rotten, there is no need patting us at the back unless your whole state and its inhabitants live well and have some kind of welfare program that takes care of the poor. I don't mean Akala's public toilet.
Re: Nigeria: Poverty Is A Northerner by Nchara: 10:33pm On Aug 12, 2009
grin angry sad cool tongue

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Okonjo-iweala Accepts To Serve In Jonathan’s Government / Gov.wike Live On Sunrise Daily. / NNPC Signs Pact With Partners To Resolve OML 130 Dispute

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.