Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:21 PM

Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital (44421 Views)

Edo Landlord Burns Down His House Over Tenants’ Refusal To Pay Rent (Video) / Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?" / 28 Tenants Flee Estate Where Electricity Bill Is More Than Rent (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by wetdspace(m): 11:42pm On May 02, 2016
developers paid a huge amount to get d lands... Lots of money changed hand even before they finish....

D oda buildings for d polluted looted funds, govt should just get a search warrant, check all d house,(so all d rumours dat some houses in abuja are full of money is tru sha... Eewo) collect it from d owner and rent/ sell to d civilians... And also send d recovered cash to me...
EFCC, work don de ooo

1 Like

Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by malton: 11:49pm On May 02, 2016
Krucifax:

The Portuguese landed in Lagos per chance due to location. However making Lagos the state capital meant billions of dollars were spent investing in Lagos over the years part of that investment was the sea port you mentioned. There are other Nigerian states well placed for building seaports but they were not chosen as capital and therefore didn't have the same investment opportunities. Granted the presence of the ports will always be a trump card for Lagos but there are many other types of business opportunities. The level of investment in Abuja is incredible and if you've ever had a chance to see some of the planned projects you will know that in some years time everyone in Africa will want to be in Abuja.

You're right in some aspects. Especially on the growth potential one. I've seen some, while others, I've seen on papers and online. The future looks promising.

That said, I wish we'll be happy about everything Nigeria.

Be the investment in Lagos, Abuja, Calabar, Enugu or Kano. I just want to see us grow.

Wonder why some people are so bent on detracting.

1 Like

Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by omonnakoda: 11:51pm On May 02, 2016
Adekorya:

I mean, they should make Abuja the only entry point to Nigeria from oversea, through that people will occupy their empty houses.
That is a very intelligent suggestion,good thinking
Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by bogolobango(m): 11:55pm On May 02, 2016
@chijokz are sure she's ur babe
Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by Adekorya: 12:03am On May 03, 2016
Krucifax:

Lagos only ever became "relevant" because it was made the nation's capital period. Abuja is on course to be far greater than Lagos.
Abuja is the National capital and already has the highest migration rate of Nigerian states.
Abuja is unique in that it was created from other states as a unity state with no tribal antecedent. It's for every Nigerian.
Abuja has far greater infrastructure than Lagos and was built to plan.
Abuja's true landmass had not even reached 50% occupation. While Lagos is already saturated and having to reclaim land from the sea. Meaning Abuja has far more potential and opportunities than Lagos.
Abuja is at the heart and centre of Nigeria and can be easily assessed from any part of Nigeria.
Abuja has better statistics on crime,infrastructure,schools,health care than Lagos.
Abuja presents far more business opportunities than Lagos due to business saturation in Lagos. Whilst Lagos is an already mature market Abuja is relatively virgin territory where ideas of products and services can flourish.
Also for foreigners,diaspora and even Nigerians at home Abuja is saner,safer,cleaner and far more organised than Lagos.
Lagos' best days are behind it and it's on the decline. Abuja is the future!!
This attention you give to my comment is worthless because i don't have time to read ya long comment.

1 Like

Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by Krucifax(m): 12:35am On May 03, 2016
Adekorya:

This attention you give to my comment is worthless because i don't have time to read ya long comment.

I'm glad you've admitted your comment is worthless but the response was not so much about you as it was about enlightening neutral readers. Good night young man.
Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by RockHard: 12:51am On May 03, 2016
I agree with Dollyak. Comparing Lagos and Abuja is like comparing Newyork to DC -- Dem no be mates and will never be when it comes to economic viability. Most progressive countries have an Abuja and a Lagos -- Brasilla (capital city) for example can't match Sao Paulo (economic capital), Pretoria and Cape Town can't match Johannesburg. Abuja by design can't be as economically viable as Lasgidi, period,though it will continue to develop owing to its position as FCT. Lagos can survive independently without Federal allocation (its IGR trumps over 31 states put together! And if it was a country today it would have the 6th largest economy in Africa). Lag has over 2000 industries besides many other thousands of service industry coys that make it a perennial magnet while the FCT is only viable for govt/administrative bizness. Even all the bank HQs and other coys OBJ forced to move to Abj from Lag had to retrace their steps. It's just what it is.

cc: krucifax

5 Likes

Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by Nobody: 12:57am On May 03, 2016
mandax:
Abuja is an ARTIFICIAL CITY. A city without any pronounced manufacturing or services industry, yet cost of landed property is prohibitive.

Those early administrations of Abuja intended to have Abuja made for only Nigeria's political class and the rich.

Most of the landed property in Abuja were built With stolen oil money.

Most of the unoccupied houses are overpriced. That's why the average civil servants that make up most of Abuja population can't afford to rent them. Even university graduates on civil service jobs live in one room in Abuja.

Such ugly housing situation is not ussually found in other African countries.
I guess you have never been to Angola. Black people are just too wicked and greedy.

1 Like

Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by richiepolymer(m): 1:19am On May 03, 2016
We still have same issues in ikoyi, and some parts of lekki too. Uninhabited houses all because of unreasonable rent meanwhile many workers travel all the way from Ogun state to work in these places. If the rents can be brought down to a reasonable amount, people will rather live just a few blocks away from their place of work hence it will reduce the wasted hours spent in traffic and also help to stop the terrible idea of jumping out of bed by 4:30am. Yuck! angry

1 Like

Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by fyneguy: 1:39am On May 03, 2016
timpaker:
Apo has the highest number of empty houses in Abuja, followed by Gudu.

Go to those areas and see porshe houses rotting away.

Even in my neighbourhood, I often wonder if the estates that surrounds us are just for deco. Infact, some security guards have started renting them out to corpers and other promiscuous fella who'd wanna do a quicky or a weekend getaway with their mistress.

The owner of one of the estates close to mine put his buildings up for sale at 40million for a 3bedroom bungalow but no one came until recently, when someone offered him 12million for that same prototype, the guy quickly told is agent to collect the money. Owu don blow the guy small. Heeheheheh

N12M for a 3-bedroom in Apo? Can you link me up with?

1 Like

Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by ApexTitan(m): 2:12am On May 03, 2016
TPAND:
Same with Banana Island, Ikoyi and some eye brows of the island in Lagos.

eye brows?

You mean high-brow.
Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by emi14: 3:39am On May 03, 2016
[quote author=jimi4us post=45257577]I've been to Ikoyi , lekki and VI. But I have never see anything like Abuja empty houses. Millions of houses are completely built but nobody to buy them or even rent them. The developers there are so greedy. Somewhere in maitama (ministers hill) a duplex go for N2.5billion. Scary world out there. [/quote #2.5bn a month, a year, 4yrs or forever. Incomplete information
Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by emi14: 3:45am On May 03, 2016
jimi4us:
I've been to Ikoyi , lekki and VI. But I have never see anything like Abuja empty houses. Millions of houses are completely built but nobody to buy them or even rent them. The developers there are so greedy. Somewhere in maitama (ministers hill) a duplex go for N2.5billion. Scary world out there.

#2.5bn per month, per year, 2yrs , 4yrs or forever. Incomplete information.

1 Like

Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by kabaka1: 4:06am On May 03, 2016
juman:
That country ehn.

Everything is upside down.

Stolen money houses.

Yes oh! Most things in this country na jagarajagara!!!
Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by olalat(m): 5:09am On May 03, 2016
Continue deluding yourself with irrelivant epistles. Lagos has pre colonial developmental history. Go and read pls. Again, i live and do business in abuja and i can tell u that 80% of commercial life of abuja depend on lagos. 10% east and the rest from other states. Virtually nothing is produced here except breads. Stop being sentimental pls.
Krucifax:

Lagos only ever became "relevant" because it was made the nation's capital period. Abuja is on course to be far greater than Lagos.
Abuja is the National capital and already has the highest migration rate of Nigerian states.
Abuja is unique in that it was created from other states as a unity state with no tribal antecedent. It's for every Nigerian.
Abuja's true landmass had not even reached 50% occupation. While Lagos is already saturated and having to reclaim land from the sea. Meaning Abuja has far more potential and opportunities than Lagos.
Abuja is at the heart and centre of Nigeria and can be easily assessed from any part of Nigeria.
Abuja has better statistics on crime,infrastructure,schools,health care than Lagos.
Abuja presents far more business opportunities than Lagos due to business saturation in Lagos. Whilst Lagos is an already mature market Abuja is relatively virgin territory where ideas of products and services can flourish.
Also for foreigners,diaspora and even Nigerians at home Abuja is saner,safer,cleaner and far more organised than Lagos.

6 Likes

Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by henryhemon(m): 5:19am On May 03, 2016
Adekorya:

I mean, they should make Abuja the only entry point to Nigeria from oversea, through that people will occupy their empty houses.

You make opaque suggestions.....don't know who you roll with please change your ways of thinking......everywhere in Nigeria should be made viable,attractive for whoever want to settle in. Is Abuja the only city in Nigeria? If Abuja is economically viable apart from politics it will boom,it is already booming and no right thinking individual will go pay high rent when he or she can afford to build a house. Think .
Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by desmond2pk: 5:48am On May 03, 2016
Adekorya:
No matter how relevant they are trying to make Abuja it will never be, because many rich people including foreigners prefer Lagos, except they move National airport from Lagos to Abuja.
Go and take your drugs
Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by Nobody: 6:00am On May 03, 2016
mandax:
Abuja is an ARTIFICIAL CITY. A city without any pronounced manufacturing or services industry, yet cost of landed property is prohibitive.

Those early administrations of Abuja intended to have Abuja made for only Nigeria's political class and the rich.

Most of the landed property in Abuja were built With stolen oil money.

Most of the unoccupied houses are overpriced. That's why the average civil servants that make up most of Abuja population can't afford to rent them. Even university graduates on civil service jobs live in one room in Abuja.

Such ugly housing situation is not ussually found in other African countries.
Abuja, like other planned capital cities such as Washington, DC, Canberra, and Brasilia were all planned to be administrative cities.

The idea is to allow the 'secondary' cities serve as hubs for manufacturing and trade ie Detroit, New York (USA), Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo (Brazil), Lagos, Aba, Kano, Onitsha etc.

But I agree that Abuja should be made more affordable to people that aren't millionaires or billionaires.

1 Like

Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by doveda: 7:08am On May 03, 2016
I don't have to worry my head about accommodation. Adverse possession here I come. tongue

2 Likes

Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by Nobody: 7:18am On May 03, 2016
Dollyak:
Meaning the reason people flock to Lagos instead of Abuja. The comment I often hear from those who have been there, is that it has no soul. I guess there is nothing much to do.

True that, but with time traffic to Lagos would also wean if the government can improve road networks, power supply and security.
Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by Orikinla(m): 7:34am On May 03, 2016
They are empty, because GEJ lost the 2015 presidential election. Money no dey for PDP's boys and girls again. Levels don change.

1 Like

Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by Afam4eva(m): 7:48am On May 03, 2016
Adekorya:
No matter how relevant they are trying to make Abuja it will never be, because many rich people including foreigners prefer Lagos, except they move National airport from Lagos to Abuja.
There's an international airport in Abuja, so that is not the problem. They have moved almost everything to Abuja yet not much has changed and the reason is because there is a deliberate effort to make sure Abuja remains for the rich. So they keep locking the middle class and poor out of Abuja so that it does not turn to another Lagos. The moment government makes a concerted effort to reduce the absurd cost of land and property in Abuja, then Abuja will become more than a capital and it will give Lagos a run.

1 Like

Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by profmallor: 7:53am On May 03, 2016
The majority of the empty houses are owned by politicians like dino and saraki. So nothing productive should be expected from thr committees review. Except buhari puts his foot down and orders that the house be rented out within a definate duration of time.
Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by Osu175(m): 8:00am On May 03, 2016
S6un:
Abuja is simply a fake city. Remove all the wuru wuru due to the sit of power , you are left with a ghost town.

Anyway when bia.fra come, even Sahara desert will be more vibrant than Abuja
Tru talk!
I dislike abuja, everything about the city is just fake
Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by peterbello(m): 8:11am On May 03, 2016
bogolobango:
U are so beautiful can i pm you @Dollyak

Smh. Anyway, they say beauty is in the eyes of the beerholder.

1 Like

Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by jantavanta(m): 8:57am On May 03, 2016
Mega City of empty houses, for Agama lizards and security gatemen.

They cannot hide proceeds from procurement scams in banks so they launder it in buildings, since the purchase of property and building materials is not monitored.

Some freshly employed graduates do "meet me at junction", whenever you want to visit them, so as to avoid explaining how they own flats in high brow areas.

They claim it is for their children's future; children that will eventually disappear abroad, and not give a damn.

1 Like

Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by Nobody: 11:45am On May 03, 2016
Krucifax:

are you trying to console yourself? ?
All you said is complete trash .. Lagos is far ahead if Abuja and haas always been! Lagos IGR alone is more than Ghana's.
Lagos has the best infrastructure in the country
Lagos has the best population
Lagos is the land of opportunities for both rich and poor... unlike your useless Abuja that is only meant for rich polithiefians... SMH...
Lagos will always be ahead of Abuja .. I repeat Lagos will always be ahead of Abuja.
Abuja get port??
Abuja get nightlife? ?
Abuja get entertainment? ?
Abuja get IGR?? (if no be oil money from Niger Delta)
Empty land!!!
Biko swerve from here

2 Likes

Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by calcal: 11:46am On May 03, 2016
good planning, mansion where people are living under 2 dollars /day!

1 Like

Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by gbishman: 11:52am On May 03, 2016
Trust me if those houses were built from loans secured from banks people would have been living in them, this is just a clear indication and picture of stolen funds been put to use.
Trust me the worse is yet to come keep hiking ur rent and the only occupants you would get will cockroaches and lizards.

4 Likes

Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by opapichulo: 12:20pm On May 03, 2016
jonathanOz:

Meaning?

Meaning Abuja is empty no business U can do No job for Graduate,that's D reason all of them wan enter Govt work...Rubbish State.
embarassed embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by Nobody: 12:51pm On May 03, 2016
Money laundering techniques, abj empty houses

1 Like

Re: Abuja: Many Houses, No Tenants • Changing Face Of A Federal Capital by eyinjuege: 2:39pm On May 03, 2016
Adekorya:

But there's already an international airport in Abuja. No need to move another one there na.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Itolowo: Lagos Community Where People Live In Murky Water (Pictures & Video) / Building Collapses, Kills Child In Anambra State (Graphic Photos) / ABB Distribution Board And Schneider Distribution Board Our Choice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.