Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,697 members, 7,820,432 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! (35114 Views)

One Hallelujah Records Will Not Partner With Secular Artistes – RCCG / Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Prefer Secular Music To Gospel Music? / Can I Listen To Secular Music/clubbing And Still Be A Devoted Christian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by DRISKLEF(m): 6:33pm On May 03, 2016
Following.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by freecocoa(f): 6:35pm On May 03, 2016
Logicbwoy:

NGO on public health? That is great. It does sound like a lot of work but then, nothing good comes easy.

Yea, well I'm interested in that and we all know that passion makes it easier. wink
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 7:15pm On May 03, 2016
freecocoa:
Yea, well I'm interested in that and we all know that passion makes it easier. wink

True talk!
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by freecocoa(f): 7:18pm On May 03, 2016
Logicbwoy:

True talk!
I guess you are a fan of logic, given the username.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 7:20pm On May 03, 2016
freecocoa:
I guess you are a fan of logic, given the username.

I'm really starting to hate my username grin grin grin grin

Do you know how many religious people call me "illogicalboy" in response to my "blasphemous" posts? And the joke never gets old.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 12:06am On May 04, 2016
hello logicbwoy, nice thread you've got here and interesting discussion so far....

I'm open to questions now

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 12:14am On May 04, 2016
Logicbwoy:

Yes, you are right! An ability to time travel would be a god-like power.

As for going to the past and killing my grandfather, the logic is not so simple- that is why it is a logical paradox.

Think about three other logical possibilities.

1) What if I travel to a time before my grandfather was born? I would still exist, right? What is now the difference between killing my father and going back to a time before he was born since he wouldn't exist in both scenarios?

2) What if there are multiple future timelines as a result of killing my grandfather? What if I then create two futures? One future where I exist and another future where I don't exist because my grandfather is dead? Parallel universes?

3) What if I kill my grandfather for fun and then, my brother goes back in time just at the moment I was about to kill my grandfather then, he stops me from doing the murder?

Time travel logic is crazy! Only true philosophers can handle it.

cc Plaetton, Reyginus, hahn, johnydon22
IT WONT BE YOUR GRAND FATHER U KILLED BUT SOME ONE WHO LOOKS JUST LIKE HIM WHY?? CAUSE U DIDNT ACTUALLY TRAVEL BACK IN TIME TO UR OWN UNIVERSE BUT TO ANOTHER ONE OF THE NUMEROUS PARALLEL UNIVERSE WELL THATS MY THOUGHT SHA
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 12:28am On May 04, 2016
By the way for time travel, let it be known that Time can go forward, slow down, almost stand still (almost) but never runs backwards.

So travelling back in time is more like practically improbable, time travel forward is theoretically plausible but backwards is not feasible.

More over it will literally spell disastrous effect..

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by menesheh(m): 12:46am On May 04, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Thanks bro for the invite . Not sure about the ban but I believe that the marriage counselling committee in churches should handle the aspect of family planning not really the pastors . Books regarding family planning should also be recommended for couples who are going into marriage .

The onus should not only be on the religious institution . We should start from the young ones in secondary schools , inculcate in them the need to engage in family planning .

The government could enforce a law like they did in China to control the number of children a married couple should have .

Any of the above three is an ideal solution to Nigeria's overpopulation problems . The third is the most effective

Is this comment not in opposition to the Genesis account of "multiply and fill the world?" because that's the basic ideology some ignorant Nigerians and religious leaders go about disseminating to the populace.

The issue of birth control is potentially alien to we uneducated Africans who are being driven by selfish gene. Other animal species selfishly seek the good and wellbeing of its specie hence unconsciously making it a point of duty to replicate and spread wider in order to ensure the continuous existence of its survival machine.

We are relatively in the same baggage of reasoning like other animal species. Leaving footprint of oneself is remotely our individual utmost priority without actually considering the lethal harm it posses to our wellbeing in a country ravaged by hunder, diseases, scrambling for survival etc.

The sort of leaders propelling the affairs of the country are not in anyway helping matter in the issue of overpopulation and the need to curb the popular notion of over breeding.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 12:49am On May 04, 2016
I WATCHED A DOCUMENTARY ON DISCOVERY A MAN CREATED A MINI TIME TRAVEL MACHINES IT USES LASERS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT HE WAS ABLE TO TRANSPORT MATTER BACK IN TIME BUT THE TIME INTERVAL.WAS SO SMALL IT ONLY WENT BACK IN TIME LIKE 0.000SEC DON'T KNOW HOW GENUIN THAT EXPERIMENT WAS SHA
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 4:36am On May 04, 2016
Lilbrown007:
IT WONT BE YOUR GRAND FATHER U KILLED BUT SOME ONE WHO LOOKS JUST LIKE HIM WHY?? CAUSE U DIDNT ACTUALLY TRAVEL BACK IN TIME TO UR OWN UNIVERSE BUT TO ANOTHER ONE OF THE NUMEROUS PARALLEL UNIVERSE WELL THATS MY THOUGHT SHA

Yes, time travel opens the possibility of parallel universes.

I recommend watching "the flash". It deals with a lot of time travel issues.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 4:48am On May 04, 2016
johnydon22:
By the way for time travel, let it be known that Time can go forward, slow down, almost stand still (almost) but never runs backwards.

So travelling back in time is more like practically improbable, time travel forward is theoretically plausible but backwards is not feasible.

More over it will literally spell disastrous effect..

If one can go forward, why not backward? That is a good question.

I think you are looking at time travel from an "interstellar" (the movie) perspective. It is more of "time dilation" which time is slower or faster in different areas and wormholes are used to traverse through time.

I understand your position on travelling backwards- it would be theoretically more difficult as it means a "reversal" of things that already happened while going forwards would just be going to a place that is yet to exist. Going to the future will have little benefit on the present even if you manage to change things in the future.

However, if you look at it from a bigger perspective, going forwards and backwards in time are both magical abilities- putting one as more fictional than the other would be like saying "Superman's laser eye is more practical than Sub Zero's ice cryomancing".

So, in short I am agreeing with you and disagreeing at the same time. You could be right or wrong- this is the problem with theoretical speculations, we wouldn't know until there is evidence.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 4:50am On May 04, 2016
Lilbrown007:
I WATCHED A DOCUMENTARY ON DISCOVERY A MAN CREATED A MINI TIME TRAVEL MACHINES IT USES LASERS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT HE WAS ABLE TO TRANSPORT MATTER BACK IN TIME BUT THE TIME INTERVAL.WAS SO SMALL IT ONLY WENT BACK IN TIME LIKE 0.000SEC DON'T KNOW HOW GENUIN THAT EXPERIMENT WAS SHA

I would love to see that documentary. Please, give me a link to it, if you can.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 5:07am On May 04, 2016
johnydon22:
hello logicbwoy, nice thread you've got here and interesting discussion so far....

I'm open to questions now

In Christianity and Jewish mytholoy angels sing. Music is divine.

Even as an atheist/humanist, I have always felt music to be spiritual. Have you ever wondered why some music tracks scare us (eg horror movies- foghorn and haunting piano tunes)?

Have you ever wondered how music makes us move our heads and feet? Have you ever felt some lyrics touching deep down into your soul?

When I was depressed, listening to music help me to be a little bit happy. I kept listening to Notorious BIG and how he turned his life from negative to positive.

To me, the relationship between music and the brain is far more than biology. A hardcore biologist would just claim that music is a form of communication patterns and the brain is just reacting to it. However, jazz music defeats such a mentality- it is nonsensical and harmonic at the same time. It speaks differently to different people, so what is it communicating? Jazz sometimes has no pattern.

Sometimes, I listen to daft punk and I feel like i'm being transported into the future. There is nothing like electro house music for me. It makes me dream of the future.

One can also relate music to the string theory of the universe. The universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.

cc Kingebukasblog who thinks that there is nothing spiritual about atheists
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 5:09am On May 04, 2016
menesheh:

Is this comment not in opposition to the Genesis account of "multiply and fill the world?" because that's the basic ideology some ignorant Nigerians and religious leaders go about disseminating to the populace.

The issue of birth control is potentially alien to we uneducated Africans who are being driven by selfish gene. Other animal species selfishly seek the good and wellbeing of its specie hence unconsciously making it a point of duty to replicate and spread wider in order to ensure the continuous existence of its survival machine.

We are relatively in the same baggage of reasoning like other animal species. Leaving footprint of oneself is remotely our individual utmost priority without actually considering the lethal harm it posses to our wellbeing in a country ravaged by hunder, diseases, scrambling for survival etc.

The sort of leaders propelling the affairs of the country are not in anyway helping matter in the issue of overpopulation and the need to curb the popular notion of over breeding.

Truly, I wonder how these church leaders will react if some anti-overpopulation policies come in place. The catholic church for instance, is opposed to condoms.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by freecocoa(f): 6:02am On May 04, 2016
Logicbwoy:

I'm really starting to hate my username grin grin grin grin

Do you know how many religious people call me "illogicalboy" in response to my "blasphemous" posts? And the joke never gets old.

Lol, you made a choice, live with it. grin
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 7:41am On May 04, 2016
freecocoa:
Lol, you made a choice, live with it. grin

I could always create another username cheesy
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 8:01am On May 04, 2016
Logicbwoy:

I would love to see that documentary. Please, give me a link to it, if you can.
SEARCH ON YOUTUBE "THROUGH THE WORMHOLE IS TIME TRAVEL POSSIBLE "

OK HERE'S THE LINK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ9FRiBT5WI&itct=CCkQpDAYASITCN_5yPvsv8wCFdM8FgodOzoNo1IhVGhyb3VnaCB0aGUgd29ybSBob2xlIHRpbWUgdHJhdmVs&hl=en&client=mv-google&gl=NG
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 8:10am On May 04, 2016
Logicbwoy:

In Christianity and Jewish mytholoy angels sing. Music is divine.

Even as an atheist/humanist, I have always felt music to be spiritual. Have you ever wondered why some music tracks scare us (eg horror movies- foghorn and haunting piano tunes)?

Have you ever wondered how music makes us move our heads and feet? Have you ever felt some lyrics touching deep down into your soul?

When I was depressed, listening to music help me to be a little bit happy. I kept listening to Notorious BIG and how he turned his life from negative to positive.

To me, the relationship between music and the brain is far more than biology. A hardcore biologist would just claim that music is a form of communication patterns and the brain is just reacting to it. However, jazz music defeats such a mentality- it is nonsensical and harmonic at the same time. It speaks differently to different people, so what is it communicating? Jazz sometimes has no pattern.

Sometimes, I listen to daft punk and I feel like i'm being transported into the future. There is nothing like electro house music for me. It makes me dream of the future.

One can also relate music to the string theory of the universe. The universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.

cc Kingebukasblog who thinks that there is nothing spiritual about atheists

You see spiritualism is a vague concept, it is used in various religions and cultures in different context.

E.g Jainism which can be called a non-theistic religion (broadly atheistic) centers on a spiritual idea of non violence towards all things living, proposes an eternal universe and prides the conquering of all passions to a state of an almost godly level.

so there are different uses of that word "spiritual" different ideas of it, the conventional idea i dismiss But just as you have said above, i completely agree.

If there is anything that can be said to be "spiritual" in a sense of it's effect on the human or even animal mind, it's ability to harmonize or to disrupt the vibrations and calibrations of a neurological pattern.

it is un-doubtable Music

Notice how almost every religion depends on it in their practise of their different ideas of spiritualism.

Music triggers the very end of our our emotions and stretches them to their limits, i can cry while listening to a certain type of music/song, i can have a profound feeling of love while on some of that.

while some fills me with an alien sadness that is hard to explain other can make me wild, some soothing and some calm me down.

Music stretches the very depth of the human conscious self and connects us to our deepest reaches of emotional lap even without us knowing.

While conventional spirituality may be an idea of reaching reality, unconnected from a material manifestation.

Music on the other hand reveals a rather deep and harmonious untapped level of our existence, a journey within self unknown to us and a connection towards nature that eludes my perfect understanding.

I'd say if there is anything spiritual in the sense of it's effect on a mind, its ability to drive a mind beyond the reaches of it's limit (unconventional as it is), you may term in a psychological, a neurological outstretch or anything but this is Music

P.S: It is also a wrong view to hold that atheists are not spiritual in a conventional way, many atheists does and also exercise beliefs in connection to this conventional spiritualism and i have corrected this naive impression many times.

It is only many of us who tend to employ a scientific world view "Empirico-rationalism" that mostly tend to dismiss and reject these conventional idea of spiritualism due to their lack of empirical substantiation"

If i find anything "spiritual" (not in a conventional way) then it is a profound realization of me being a part of nature, a bit and a child of nature and like the tiny atoms up to the gigantic galaxies.

every piece alongside me and everything, brings in unity a totality of a chaotic but beautiful cosmos (nature) and the reaching out of the ordinary level of automatic uncontrolled reach of deep consciousness only Music can give.

6 Likes 7 Shares

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 8:15am On May 04, 2016
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 8:19am On May 04, 2016
johnydon22:

You see spiritualism is a vague concept, it is used in various religions and cultures in different context.

E.g Jainism which can be called a non-theistic religion (broadly atheistic) centers on a spiritual idea of non violence towards all things living, proposes an eternal universe and prides the conquering of all passions to a state of an almost godly level.

so there are different uses of that word "spiritual" different ideas of it, the conventional idea i dismiss But just as you have saidvabove, i completely agree.

If there is anything that can be said to be "spiritual" in a sense of it's effect on the human or even animal mind, it's ability to harmonize or to disrupt the vibrations and calibrations of a neurological pattern.

it is un-doubtable Music

Notice how almost every religion depends on it in their practise of their different ideas of spiritualism.

Music triggers the very end of our our emotions and stretches them to their limits, i can cry while listening a certain type of music/song, i can have a profound feeling of love while on some that.

while some fills me with an alien sadness that is hard to explain other can make me wild, some soothing and some calm me down.

Music stretches the very depth of the human conscious self and connects us to our deepest reaches of emotional lap even without us knowing.

While conventional spirituality may be an idea of reaching reality, unconnected from a material manifestation.

Music on the other hand reveals a rather deep and harmonious untapped our existence, a journey within self unknown to us and a connection towards nature that eludes my perfect understanding.

I'd say if there is anything spiritual in the sense of it's effect on a mind, its ability to drive a mind beyond the reaches of it's limit (unconventional at it is), you term in psychological, a neurological outstretch or anything but this is Music

P.S: It is also a wrong view to hold that atheists are not spiritual in a conventional way, many atheists does and also exercise beliefs in connection to this conventional spiritualism and i have corrected this naive impression many times.

It is only many of of us who tend to employ a scientific world view "Empirico-rationalism" that mostly tend to dismiss these conventional idea of spiritualism."

If i find anything "spiritual" (not in a conventional way) then it is a profound realization of me being a part of nature, a bit and a child of nature and like the tiny atoms up to the gigantic galaxies.

every piece alongside me and everything, brings in unity a totality of a chaotic but beautiful cosmos (nature) and the reaching out of the ordinary level of automatic uncontrolled reach of deep consciousness only Music can give.

cry This is one of the most beautiful posts I have ever read on nairaland.

Please, allow me some time to digest it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Nobody: 8:22am On May 04, 2016
Logicbwoy:

Thanks, I will watch it!
THE SHOW IS GREAT YOU TRY OUT OTHER TOPICS THEY HAVE
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 8:33am On May 04, 2016
Logicbwoy:

If one can go forward, why not backward? That is a good question.

I think you are looking at time travel from an "interstellar" (the movie) perspective. It is more of "time dilation" which time is slower or faster in different areas and wormholes are used to traverse through time.

I understand your position on travelling backwards- it would be theoretically more difficult as it means a "reversal" of things that already happened while going forwards would just be going to a place that is yet to exist. Going to the future will have little benefit on the present even if you manage to change things in the future.

However, if you look at it from a bigger perspective, going forwards and backwards in time are both magical abilities- putting one as more fictional than the other would be like saying "Superman's laser eye is more practical than Sub Zero's ice cryomancing".

So, in short I am agreeing with you and disagreeing at the same time. You could be right or wrong- this is the problem with theoretical speculations, we wouldn't know until there is evidence.

Yeah of course these are theoretical speculations only proven within the pages of a mathematical representation.

-Wormholes conventionally do not take us back in time or further rather works like a folded bridge of space/time.

E.g: On a flat sheet of paper you make two points on each end, now their nearest distance is a straight line but when you fold this sheet of paper that the two ends are meeting each other, their shortest distances becomes almost an instantaneous reach to each other.

Practically a wormhole has never been observed in the macro-universe but has been in a quantum field where bubble-like pathways pop in particles into existence and they pop out again.

For time travel let me explain the theoretical rationale behind it and why i told you time never runs backwards.

everything in this universe travels in a 4 velocities at 2 distinct dimensional reach. . 3 travel at a spatial dimensions and 1 in the time dimension..

and the sum of these are equal to the speed of light (C)... so to keep this equilibrium the faster your in spatial dimensions the slower your time dimension becomes so to balance the sum of the total velocity to C.

mathematical representation.

X + Y+ Z+ T = C.

where (XYZ) are spatial velocities and (T) is velocity in time, (C) is the speed of light.

So if you reach a velocity that equals C in your spatial dimensions .. Like (making T the subject of formular) T= C - XYZ

But since XYZ = C, T = 0.

(Since T= 0 means Time is at a stand still)

But if you reach a speed greater than that of light in the spatial velocities, XYZ > C.

(> ) greater than.

So since XYZ > C, T now runs at a negative value...

therefore you are now ahead of time since time is now behind you... That is the theoretical rationale behind forward time travel.

Do not think there it can ever travel backwards unless of course (XYZ) runs at an infinitely negative value of (C) therefore becomes behind (T)

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by wirinet(m): 8:45am On May 04, 2016
Logicbwoy:

Miracles do happen! I can't believe I agree with you. I agree with you so much that I have nothing more to add.

I sha have more questions for you. If you are ready for them, say so.

I on the other hand disagree with kingebuka on this.

Not sure about the ban but I believe that the marriage counselling committee in churches should handle the aspect of family planning not really the pastors . Books regarding family planning should also be recommended for couples who are going into marriage .
Yes, i agree that marriage counseling committees in churches should handle family planning, but the overall doctrine of a church is determined by the pastor or church. What do you want a marriage counseling committee to counsel when the church or pastor preaches against the use of contraceptives and condom and says children are gifts and blessings from god

The onus should not only be on the religious institution . We should start from the young ones in secondary schools , inculcate in them the need to engage in family planning .
The responsibility is put on religious institutions because in Nigeria, religious institutions has a huge influence on the populace. Peoples believe and listen to their pastors, imams, etc, than any other person.
You want to start teaching teens about family planning? Are they planning to start a family? Secondary school children should be taught sex education and how to avoid sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancies, not to determine how many children they should have.

The government could enforce a law like they did in China to control the number of children a married couple should have .
The China controls cannot work here. IBB tried something similar with his one wife 4 children policy, it failed woefully . The policy would fail because of Traditional, cultural and religious values of Nigerians. How will you tell an igboman with 4 daughters and no sons not to have any more children, when the igbo society is a highly patrilineal society. Similar issues will arise with yoruba, hausa and other societies.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by freecocoa(f): 9:11am On May 04, 2016
Logicbwoy:

I could always create another username cheesy
Yes you could but this one's cool.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Oxytocin(m): 9:55am On May 04, 2016
johnydon22:

Yeah of course these are theoretical speculations only proven within the pages of a mathematical representation.

-Wormholes conventionally do not take us back in time or further rather works like a folded bridge of space/time.

E.g: On a flat sheet of paper you make two points on each end, now their nearest distance is a straight line but when you fold this sheet of paper that the two ends are meeting each other, their shortest distances becomes almost an instantaneous reach to each other.

Practically a wormhole has never been observed in the macro-universe but has been in a quantum field where bubble-like pathways pop in particles into existence and they pop out again.

For time travel let me explain the theoretical rationale behind it and why i told you time never runs backwards.

everything in this universe travels in a 4 velocities at 2 distinct dimensional reach. . 3 travel at a spatial dimensions and 1 in the time dimension..

and the sum of these are equal to the speed of light (C)... so to keep this equilibrium the faster your in spatial dimensions the slower your time dimension becomes so to balance the sum of the total velocity to C.

X + Y+ Z+ T = C.

where (XYZ) are spatial velocities and (T) is velocity in time, (C) is the speed of light.

So if you reach a velocity that equals C in your spatial dimensions .. Like (making T the subject of formular) T= C - XYZ

But if you reach a speed greater than that of light in the spatial velocities, XYZ > C.

(> ) greater than.

therefore you are now ahead of time since time is now behind you... That is the theoretical rationale behind forward time travel.

Do not think there it can ever travel backwards unless of course (XYZ) runs at an infinitely negative value of (C) therefore becomes behind (T)

If you reach a speed greater than that of light in your spatial dimensions and time now runs at a negative value, doesn't that mean you are going back in time instead of travelling forwards in time

Expatiate pls
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 11:20am On May 04, 2016
Oxytocin:
If you reach a speed greater than that of light in your spatial dimensions and time now runs at a negative value, doesn't that mean you are going back in time instead of travelling forwards in time

Expatiate pls

It means you are now ahead of time and time will be needing to catch up with you..

Ahead of time means being in front of it, so since time runs at a negative value while you are at a positive value, you are ahead of time not behind it.

Negative is behind positive in mathematics.

Only when your own spatial dimension runs at negative while time is at positive then you are behind time therefore back in time.

spatial dimension (+) and time (-) = ahead of time
spatial dimension (-) and time (+) = behind time.

Negative values are behind positive values. -1 is behind 1

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 12:18pm On May 04, 2016
johnydon22:

X + Y+ Z+ T = C.

(> ) greater than.

shocked You must be a physicist!

Anyhoo, I see your point now. I was not truly looking at it from a mathematical perspective.

But have you seen the movie "Interstellar"?
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 12:22pm On May 04, 2016
wirinet:

I on the other hand disagree with kingebuka on this.

Yes, i agree that marriage counseling committees in churches should handle family planning, but the overall doctrine of a church is determined by the pastor or church. What do you want a marriage counseling committee to counsel when the church or pastor preaches against the use of contraceptives and condom and says children are gifts and blessings from god

The responsibility is put on religious institutions because in Nigeria, religious institutions has a huge influence on the populace. Peoples believe and listen to their pastors, imams, etc, than any other person.
You want to start teaching teens about family planning? Are they planning to start a family? Secondary school children should be taught sex education and how to avoid sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancies, not to determine how many children they should have.

The China controls cannot work here. IBB tried something similar with his one wife 4 children policy, it failed woefully . The policy would fail because of Traditional, cultural and religious values of Nigerians. How will you tell an igboman with 4 daughters and no sons not to have any more children, when the igbo society is a highly patrilineal society. Similar issues will arise with yoruba, hausa and other societies.

Well said. I must have missed that part about the counselling committee vs the pastor.
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by johnydon22(m): 12:22pm On May 04, 2016
Logicbwoy:

shocked You must be a physicist!

Anyhoo, I see your point now. I was not truly looking at it from a mathematical perspective.

But have you seen the movie "Interstellar"?

Yeah i have . . . Quite an interesting one, gives a bit of an insight on the future of space travels.

But i think we'd be using Warp drive instead or laser beam propulsions (already in existence).

since we don't actually think wormholes exist in the macro-level (fingers still crossed on that)..

Michio once said: They are looking for ways to capture a micro-wormhole from a quantum field and enlarge it to a micro-scale and achieve stability.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 12:26pm On May 04, 2016
johnydon22:

Yeah i have . . . Quite an interesting one, gives a bit of an insight on the future of space travels.

But i think we'd be using Warp drive instead or laser beam propulsions (already in existence)

But no one has been through a wormhole.

I think they should try and send something through a wormhole. That would be interesting.

However, I believe that we would find aliens if we travel far enough into the galaxy
Re: A Thread For Nigerian Secular Philosophy! by Logicbwoy: 12:31pm On May 04, 2016
johnydon22:

since we don't actually think wormholes exist in the macro-level (fingers still crossed on that)..

Michio once said: They are looking for ways to capture a micro-wormhole from a quantum field and enlarge it to a micro-scale and achieve stability.

I replied your comment too early!

Anyhoo, have you wondered the possibilities if we could create those micro-wormholes here on earth?

Do you watch the flash tv series? The flash ran so fast that he travelled through time and another time, he entered an alternate earth.

It is fiction but if you think about it, if you run faster than the speed of light, you are technically disappearing. Can one run faster than time and space itself?

Sorry, I did not study science- I'm a business student and so, I might not use the correct physics terminology.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

APC Kicks Over Mbaka's Transfers / Apostle Suleman & His Wife, Lizzy Celebrate 16th Wedding Anniversary (Photo) / Buhari's Health: Joshua Iginla's Prophetic Message (Throwback Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.