Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,737 members, 7,824,086 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:28 PM

The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads (15769 Views)

5 Of The World’s Longest Trucks You Will Never See On Nigerian Roads / The Major Cause Of Tyre Burst Accidents In Nigeria ( Pictures Included ) / How To Handle A Tyre Burst While Driving At Top Speed (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by charlesucheh(m): 8:25am On May 05, 2016
My Blooda! We need more of your kind on this forum!!!! GoD will embarrass you with blessings....
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by AdeniyiA(m): 8:25am On May 05, 2016
The essence of putting this type of topic on front page can never be overemphasized, no matter the number of times such happens.
if it does grace the front page once a month all wee nd good.
this is about life.
My advice to people driving is that if your tires are not in excellent conditions, do not travel during the afternoon when the weather is hot...take off early in the morning or in the evening ..
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by Rolings: 8:28am On May 05, 2016
iamexcelblog:
O boy.. Nna nawa... This story on front page again?

Nd to think that each of the story tellers have no source which means that they are telling about personal experiences. But come to think of it again.... Why is it that each of them has a friend that lived in the US for sometime and has the same jeep and Siena?

They are sharing the same story. First saw it on whatsapp. Don't know if to believe it or not as the Op admitted he is not an expert on these things and rely on a friend in US. US standard for tyres may be different from Nigeria's due to differences in weather and quality of roads
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by Nobody: 8:31am On May 05, 2016
I dont understand why someone has to travel all the way to US to know where to find the recommended pressure for his car's tires.

The level of functional illiteracy in the Nigerian motorist is high. They buy expensive cars costing millions and yet cannot invest N2000 for a decent fire extinguisher, most vehicles dont have jacks , wheel spanners and even good spare tyres.

The only time the average Nigerian car owner knows that there is such thing as maintenance and repairs is when the car breaks down in traffic.

There he/she begins to blame government. They don't even read their owner manual, know what engine oil to use etc.

Its only here that you will see a road side mechanic tell a medical doctor car owner to use vegetable oil as engine oil and the dude will oblige. sad

We are so hasty to buy sophisticated cars and yet our approach to looking after our vehicles is no better than an okada rider.

Many car owners lack basic things like a flashlight, first aid box. Underneath the shiny cars are dirty, greasy and clogged engines manned by a driver whose knows nothing about the car and how it works except to sit on the drivers wheel like a excess luggage.

Our parents who drove less sophisticated vehicles decades ago were much better informed about their vehicles and their maintenance.

1 Like

Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by Timijo(m): 8:40am On May 05, 2016
mu2sa2:
My advice to anyone who has a car is to get his/her own guage and be taking the measurement by himself/herself. The pen-like device roadside vulcanizers are using is dangerously inaccurate. My tyre guage was once given as 40 by a vulcanizer after helping to remove a nail on it, but when I got home I used my very accurate pump/air pressure metre to crosscheck and it read 55 psi. The maximum pressure as recommended on the tyre was 44. That was about 3 year's ago and since then i always keep the device in my boot. I check the guage of my tyres regularly in the morning and if I notice a drop I used the pump to top up. I only go to the vulcanizer's place if I have a puncture.
Please how much is the air pressure meter? Does it use fuel or battery?
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by Nobody: 8:41am On May 05, 2016
DeRay98:
IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO ALL VEHICLE USERS!

Good morning everyone. Many people have been wondering what could be the cause of the incessant tyre burst accidents on Nigerian roads. The major cause is that we put to much pressure in our tyres. How did I know?

I was preparing for a journey, I changed some of my tyres and I asked the vulcanizer that ' what is the recommended tyre pressure? ' He said 50. I said alright, he should inflate it to 50 all round.

When I got to where I was going, I was discussing with some ppl on the issue of the minister that died on the road due to a burst tyre and wonder what could have happened because nobody could imagine a minister would be travelling with expired tyres as many would think is the major cause of tyre burst.

A man ( lived in US for many years ) said that the major cause of tyre burst in Nigeria is that we put to much pressure in our tyres and that each car has recommended tyre size and pressure clearly written on it by the manufacturer. I was surprised and begged him to come and show me where it's written on my car. To my greatest surprise, it's by the drivers door which I enter everyday without noticing it. By the time we checked, the recommended pressure for my tyres is 32! and I just traveled with tyres on a pressure of 50! He took me round his compound and showed me that of the cars (which includes a jeep and a sienna) there, the highest was 32. some were even 29!

He further explained that tyres are made of rubber and expands at high temperature. So, when yu are travelling in the afternoon when the asphalt on the road is hot, the tyre will want to expand. If the pressure in the tyre is to much and wouldn't accommodate the expansion, a burst is likely to happen at that time.

Pls check the recommended tyre pressure for your vehicle and others you know.

As many as possible Nigerians needs to read this.
thanks

Kindly share this message.
adopted

The stickers on the side of your door indicates the MINIMUM pressure your tire needs to be at to support the vehicle.

The maximum pressure a tire can take is not indicated on the sticker. It is indicated on the sidewall of the tire itself.

So check that and I'm quite sure your tire should be able to take that pressure.

Now as to the cause of blowouts in Nigeria. Have you ever bought tokunbo tires? What kind of tires do you buy. Very few Nigerians who patronize tokunbo tires are actually aware that they stock two different kinds of tires. They stock Winter or Snow tires and then they also stock the standard tires.
The most common type of tires at tokunbo markets are the winter tire. Now because the threading of the winter tires usually look very fresh most people are tempted to buy it. In effect what they are buying are tyres that were designed to remain soft in extreme freezing weather. If you were to use a standard tire is snow, the tire would freeze, become hard and loose traction completely. But with a winter tire the tire remains soft and retains some decent traction to allow for relatively safe driving in snow. In a hot climate like ours, if you use winter tires what happens is that the treading on the tires wears out very fast. The wear is so intense that the tire will eventually lose its integrity. Imagine using that kind of tire in a long distance journey. How wont a blowout occur? You would also lose a significant amount of breaking power.

The next time you go to buy tires at a tokunbo tire dealer you check the most of the tires. You would either see things like BLIZZARD, ALPINE, or something that is associated with temperate snowy weather. That signifies that it is a winter tire.

Majority of blowouts in Nigeria can be traced to two things - use of winter tires and underinflation

An underinflated tire is more likely to suffer a blowout than an over-inflated tire. Because when it is under-inflated, you increase the effect of friction almost 10 folds. The tire suffers a similar effect to what happens when you continue to ride on a deflated tire. It completely shreds to pieces.
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by Nobody: 8:44am On May 05, 2016
chrisifeanyi:
biko add snake there so it can make front page. Thanks a lot.
Why are you sharing trade secrets anyhow, ehen, where is that snake i just killed - i think i better create a thread for it.

But wait o, what i fulani herdsmen was used instead of snake?
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by omamokta: 8:53am On May 05, 2016
Atimes the psi recommended by the car manufacturers differs from psi recommended by the tyre manufacturers. Which one do we follow.
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by stchinedu: 8:53am On May 05, 2016
mu2sa2:
My advice to anyone who has a car is to get his/her own guage and be taking the measurement by himself/herself. The pen-like device roadside vulcanizers are using is dangerously inaccurate. My tyre guage was once given as 40 by a vulcanizer after helping to remove a nail on it, but when I got home I used my very accurate pump/air pressure metre to crosscheck and it read 55 psi. The maximum pressure as recommended on the tyre was 44. That was about 3 year's ago and since then i always keep the device in my boot. I check the guage of my tyres regularly in the morning and if I notice a drop I used the pump to top up. I only go to the vulcanizer's place if I have a puncture.
where can i get the device?
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by gasperkoya(m): 8:54am On May 05, 2016
Hayjaycity:
I don't believe.... I travel with a vulcanizer pressure of 50 from Lagos to akure and nothing happened....

Well His grace is still on you... He just help you from death on your next trip... All the roadside guys know noting.. Person way do motor say make you used 28 den cause of your own stupidity you decide to used 50.. Lol your life na kite... Bless you..
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by Ricswagger: 9:00am On May 05, 2016
DeRay98:

Good morning everyone. Many people have been wondering what could be the cause of the incessant tyre burst accidents on Nigerian roads. The major cause is that we put to much pressure in our tyres. How did I know?

I was preparing for a journey, I changed some of my tyres and I asked the vulcanizer that ' what is the recommended tyre pressure? ' He said 50. I said alright, he should inflate it to 50 all round.

When I got to where I was going, I was discussing with some ppl on the issue of the minister that died on the road due to a burst tyre and wonder what could have happened because nobody could imagine a minister would be travelling with expired tyres as many would think is the major cause of tyre burst.

A man ( lived in US for many years ) said that the major cause of tyre burst in Nigeria is that we put to much pressure in our tyres and that each car has recommended tyre size and pressure clearly written on it by the manufacturer. I was surprised and begged him to come and show me where it's written on my car. To my greatest surprise, it's by the drivers door which I enter everyday without noticing it. By the time we checked, the recommended pressure for my tyres is 32! and I just traveled with tyres on a pressure of 50! He took me round his compound and showed me that of the cars (which includes a jeep and a sienna) there, the highest was 32. some were even 29!

He further explained that tyres are made of rubber and expands at high temperature. So, when yu are travelling in the afternoon when the asphalt on the road is hot, the tyre will want to expand. If the pressure in the tyre is to much and wouldn't accommodate the expansion, a burst is likely to happen at that time.

thanks

adopted
u copied my topic
cc: mynd44 this is my topic and it never made front page
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by femi4: 9:12am On May 05, 2016
Emmy4Naija:
The poster mentioned pressure values without units; psi or bar?
Oga, its in psi
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by femi4: 9:17am On May 05, 2016
Hayjaycity:
I don't believe.... I travel with a vulcanizer pressure of 50 from Lagos to akure and nothing happened....
kontinu playing with fire.

Your case is like saying "I pour fuel inside my generator without putting it off and nothing happens"
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by banmee(m): 9:29am On May 05, 2016
meezynetwork:
This is a very good info

It is terrible info because it is not true. The only reason vehicle in Nigeria tyres burst is because drivers in Nigeria wear their tyres out to the point of exhaustion. The information about your tyre's recommended gauge level is on you tyre not your door because all tyres are different.
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by 123papas(m): 9:31am On May 05, 2016
Tyres have only shelf life not service life.
gabriel212:
Thanks for your post.
I checked mine it is 32psi at the front and 30psi at the back. When I had a flat tyre yesterday I instruct the guy please inflate 30psi m I confirmed before leaving
.inaddition I was asking a vulcaniser last two months (before I went to infinity to change my tyre) to show me how to read tyre expire date he gladly told me
Ahhh Bros tyre no dey expire na. N i took my time to explain him with utmost seriousness he said are you saying the truth!
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by cosby07: 9:55am On May 05, 2016
DeRay98:

thanks

adopted

Thanks for the info, this topic made front page some days ago, my brother please have it in mind that our weather is not the same with Europe,that's according to my investigation, but today will stop over at d road safety office to clear this...cos i was told road safety won't support 32psi....will be back soonest
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by OlandoOwoo: 10:18am On May 05, 2016
Ganoderma:

The stickers on the side of your door indicates the MINIMUM pressure your tire needs to be at to support the vehicle.

The maximum pressure a tire can take is not indicated on the sticker. It is indicated on the sidewall of the tire itself.

So check that and I'm quite sure your tire should be able to take that pressure.

Now as to the cause of blowouts in Nigeria. Have you ever bought tokunbo tires? What kind of tires do you buy. Very few Nigerians who patronize tokunbo tires are actually aware that they stock two different kinds of tires. They stock Winter or Snow tires and then they also stock the standard tires.
The most common type of tires at tokunbo markets are the winter tire. Now because the threading of the winter tires usually look very fresh most people are tempted to buy it. In effect what they are buying are tyres that were designed to remain soft in extreme freezing weather. If you were to use a standard tire is snow, the tire would freeze, become hard and loose traction completely. But with a winter tire the tire remains soft and retains some decent traction to allow for relatively safe driving in snow. In a hot climate like ours, if you use winter tires what happens is that the treading on the tires wears out very fast. The wear is so intense that the tire will eventually lose its integrity. Imagine using that kind of tire in a long distance journey. How wont a blowout occur? You would also lose a significant amount of breaking power.

The next time you go to buy tires at a tokunbo tire dealer you check the most of the tires. You would either see things like BLIZZARD, ALPINE, or something that is associated with temperate snowy weather. That signifies that it is a winter tire.

Majority of blowouts in Nigeria can be traced to two things - use of winter tires and underinflation

An underinflated tire is more likely to suffer a blowout than an over-inflated tire. Because when it is under-inflated, you increase the effect of friction almost 10 folds. The tire suffers a similar effect to what happens when you continue to ride on a deflated tire. It completely shreds to pieces.
On the otherhand, the information in this threadis wrong. I just want to be well informed. The information you shared here is the original knowledge I had before encountering this thread and I was wow worth what I saw here until I saw this. I am kind of confused now
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by mu2sa2: 10:23am On May 05, 2016
stchinedu:

where can i get the device?
l bought mine at a roadside kiosk selling second-hand electronics. Altho mine is German made and I have not seen it anywhere else since I bought it about 5 years ago, l saw another brand at Shoprite and it was selling then at less than 4k. It's easy to use - you connect it to the cigarette lighter outlet while the engine is running and connect the other end to your tyre. It has a metre which shows the gauge as it is pumping.

1 Like

Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by SirJonse(m): 10:31am On May 05, 2016
mu2sa2:

Pls sir where can I buy the tyre gauge and pump and at what price pls?
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by Nobody: 10:33am On May 05, 2016
OlandoOwoo:

On the otherhand, the information in this threadis wrong. I just want to be well informed. The information you shared here is the original knowledge I had before encountering this thread and I was wow worth what I saw here until I saw this. I am kind of confused now

There's nothing to be confused about.

Ensure you buy the right kind of tires.

If you cannot afford new ones ensure you are buying standard tires at the tokunboh market and not winter tires.

Ensure you also take not of the maximum pressure on the sidewalls of your tire and alwasy remember that when you go to guage it.

Always check you tires for ripple cracks especially around the tips close to the edges of the thread. If there are cracks then you need to change your tires immediately.
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by maestroz: 10:51am On May 05, 2016
Hayjaycity:

don't believe. I pray you don't get to believe on the other side. a word is enough for the wise. this information by OP is enough for the wise.
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by Originalsly: 10:57am On May 05, 2016
Hayjaycity:
Hmmm.... we really learn a lot on Nairaland..... today I learn there are still people alive who refuse to learn.
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by Spells(m): 11:07am On May 05, 2016
Hayjaycity:
sad
Hayjaycity:
when the tire had had enough of pressure 50 that's when u will knw what we r talking abt
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by stchinedu: 11:13am On May 05, 2016
mu2sa2:
l bought mine at a roadside kiosk selling second-hand electronics. Altho mine is German made and I have not seen it anywhere else since I bought it about 5 years ago, l saw another brand at Shoprite and it was selling then at less than 4k. It's easy to use - you connect it to the cigarette lighter outlet while the engine is running and connect the other end to your tyre. It has a metre which shows the gauge as it is pumping.
thanks bro
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by Lovelynature(m): 1:11pm On May 05, 2016
God bless you sir. I'm glad to read this important information.
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by princely74: 1:16pm On May 05, 2016
Thanks for this vital information!
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by Natotogokillme: 1:33pm On May 05, 2016
But you can't move fast enough with 32 air pressure
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by lailo: 1:48pm On May 05, 2016
ibkgab001:
Try 32 for Lagos Ibadan road ... OYO LOWA
What do u mean?expanciate
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by Nobody: 2:29pm On May 05, 2016
mu2sa2:
My advice to anyone who has a car is to get his/her own guage and be taking the measurement by himself/herself. The pen-like device roadside vulcanizers are using is dangerously inaccurate. My tyre guage was once given as 40 by a vulcanizer after helping to remove a nail on it, but when I got home I used my very accurate pump/air pressure metre to crosscheck and it read 55 psi. The maximum pressure as recommended on the tyre was 44. That was about 3 years ago and since then i always keep the device in my boot. I check the guage of my tyres regularly in the morning and if I notice a drop I use the pump to top up. I only go to the vulcanizer's place if I have a puncture.

How/Where can I purchase this device pls?
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by Rhea(f): 2:32pm On May 05, 2016
Tires are reinforced with very thin steel cables. If you buy a second hand tire in the Nigerian market, it is more than likely that these cables are broken or weakened by previous use. Unfortunately, most people buy tires just by looking at the thread. So when you go ahead and inflate the tire to whatever pressure, and then subject it to the pot holes that dot our roads, na wahala be that.
Lesson: If you must use second hand tires, do not use subject the car to high speed (greater than 60km/hr), otherwise just buy 4 brand new tires (easier said than done in Nigeria of today)
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by ColeworldMD(m): 8:33pm On May 05, 2016
mu2sa2:
My advice to anyone who has a car is to get his/her own guage and be taking the measurement by himself/herself. The pen-like device roadside vulcanizers are using is dangerously inaccurate. My tyre guage was once given as 40 by a vulcanizer after helping to remove a nail on it, but when I got home I used my very accurate pump/air pressure metre to crosscheck and it read 55 psi. The maximum pressure as recommended on the tyre was 44. That was about 3 years ago and since then i always keep the device in my boot. I check the guage of my tyres regularly in the morning and if I notice a drop I use the pump to top up. I only go to the vulcanizer's place if I have a puncture.
yeah. I noticed the tire pressure by the car door is for the tire that originally came with the car. Whereas every tire has its own recommend pressure written on it. For example on the door it was written 35psi but on the tire it was written 44psi cuz it's the tire that originally came with the car. I just want to point this out. Please like & share so more people will realize
Re: The Major cause Of The Incessant Tyre Burst Accidents On Nigerian Roads by DeRay98(m): 9:10pm On May 05, 2016
Ricswagger:

u copied my topic
cc: mynd44 this is my topic and it never made front page

I didnt get this from NL but from another forum and i acknowledged it as "adopted". Besides, I actually never saw it on NL before I brought it in
thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

One Million Mercedes-benzes Recalled Because They May Catch Fire / Numbers To Call To Verify The Validity Of Your Driving Licence - FRSC / 8 Ways You're Ruining Your Car Without Realizing It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.