Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,035 members, 7,852,541 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 07:58 PM

7 Possible Meaning Of "AFRICA". Which One Do You Think Is More Correct? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 7 Possible Meaning Of "AFRICA". Which One Do You Think Is More Correct? (821 Views)

"What Do You Think Is The Most Important Quality In A Leader And Why?" - APC / Who Do You Think Is The Most Popular Minister In Buhari's Administration? / What Is The Full Meaning Of EFCC? See Hilarious Answers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Possible Meaning Of "AFRICA". Which One Do You Think Is More Correct? by INTERMAN: 2:23am On May 05, 2016
The historical origins of the name Africa are in dispute. At least seven origins have been suggested: (1) it is a Roman name for what the Greeks called "Libya," itself perhaps a Latinization of the name of the Berber tribe Aourigha (perhaps pronounced "Afarika"wink; (2) it is derived from two Phoenician terms either referring to corn or fruit (pharika ), meaning land of corn or fruit; (3) it comes from a Phoenician root faraqa, meaning separation or diaspora; a similar root is apparently found in some African languages such as Bambara; (4) it is drawn from the Latin adjective aprica (sunny) or the Greek aprikē (free from cold); (5) it might even stem from Sanskrit and Hindi in which the root Apara or Africa denotes that which, in geographical terms, comes "after"—to the west—in which case Africa is the western continent; (6) it is the name of a Yemenite chief named Africus who invaded North Africa in the second millennium B.C.E. and founded a town called Afrikyah; or (7) it springs from "Afer" who was a grandson of Abraham and a companion of Hercules (Ki-Zerbo; Spivak).
Re: 7 Possible Meaning Of "AFRICA". Which One Do You Think Is More Correct? by Sunky200: 4:36am On May 05, 2016
no 4 seem more appropriate
Re: 7 Possible Meaning Of "AFRICA". Which One Do You Think Is More Correct? by KissCODE(m): 5:35am On May 05, 2016
All of them i accept but to me i have a huge attachment to Africus... It makes more meaning...

OP which one is urs?
Re: 7 Possible Meaning Of "AFRICA". Which One Do You Think Is More Correct? by chriskosherbal(m): 6:03am On May 05, 2016
All of them look the same, so op tell me yours first.
Re: 7 Possible Meaning Of "AFRICA". Which One Do You Think Is More Correct? by PapaBrowne(m): 7:35am On May 05, 2016
Number 4.
Latin=Aprica= Sunny
Greek=Aprike= Free from Cold
Re: 7 Possible Meaning Of "AFRICA". Which One Do You Think Is More Correct? by INTERMAN: 10:08am On May 05, 2016
KissCODE:
All of them i accept but to me i have a huge attachment to Africus... It makes more meaning...

OP which one is urs?
to me I guess no 1 sounds more meaningful
Re: 7 Possible Meaning Of "AFRICA". Which One Do You Think Is More Correct? by INTERMAN: 10:10am On May 05, 2016
PapaBrowne:
Number 4.
Latin=Aprica= Sunny
Greek=Aprike= Free from Cold
but not all african country is free from cold esp the first contacts like Egypt, soudan, libya, tunisia etc.
Re: 7 Possible Meaning Of "AFRICA". Which One Do You Think Is More Correct? by INTERMAN: 10:16am On May 05, 2016
anyway, all these are likely possible meaning. No one knows which one is actually correct
Re: 7 Possible Meaning Of "AFRICA". Which One Do You Think Is More Correct? by INTERMAN: 10:22am On May 05, 2016
oya seun lalasticlala come and solve and rack ur head a littlle

(1) (Reply)

Check This Out: Obasanjo Has A Twin Brother? (photo) / Breaking: Bomb Blast Rocks Musa Usman Secretariat In maiduguri / Buhari Continue To Enjoy Lavish Lifestyle With Stolen Funds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.