Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,491 members, 7,819,785 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:19 PM

Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. (8521 Views)

Tribunal Judgement: Wike Returns To A Rousing Reception In Port Harcourt / Female Trekker From Enugu To Abuja Gets Warm Reception From NOA (photos) / Gov Rochas Okorocha Receives Heroes Reception (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by wirinet(m): 10:47am On Aug 12, 2009
I was watching AIT this morning and was shocked to learn that Hilary Clinton was not received on her arrival by any Nigerian official, not even a foreign ministry official. Is that as a result of the observations she raised a few days earlier about Nigeria inability to refine her own petrol being 6th largest crude oil producer in the world?. If it is, then the yaradua government apart from being clueless,is very immature. To me it is a very embarrassing diplomatic blunder. Yaradua needs to be schooled in basic diplomacy. even when two countries have serious diplomatic conflicts, decorum demands warm reception in public.

Clinton is the third highest US official, and the most important in terms of US foreign policy. So how do you think the US will relate with Nigeria after this.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by Rebarobyn: 10:53am On Aug 12, 2009
I agree diplomacy must be shown at face level even if all is not well.

but America deserves such treatment at times, they blab so much about the flaws of other countries when they are no better. the world has worshiped that country so much that they now think they are the savior of the world, wetin she go do for naija sef? I watched her on TV yesterday when she reacted quite rudely to a question she misinterpreted during a press conference in DRC.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by desgiezd(m): 11:00am On Aug 12, 2009
When will this government stop embarrassing herself and her citizens? How could they allow this woman to come here and then refuse to welcome her? What manner of clueless, rudderless, sloppy, wishy-washy, unorganised government is this? If the government is not happy with her or with USA and wanted to give them a cold shoulder, they should have sent some junior ranking officers to welcome her rather than what they have done.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by naijachix(m): 11:10am On Aug 12, 2009
Datz part of our 7 point agenda dat will lead us to our dreamnightmare-land, vission 202020.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by hackney(m): 11:17am On Aug 12, 2009
Nigeria does not like the truth.
That's why they did not recieve her.
She's out-spoken and knowing all the resources we have,she would have sat in the conference and blatantly asked yar'adon't what they are doing all these years and they dont want that.chikena!!
Watch them give her no audience
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by muhsin(m): 11:23am On Aug 12, 2009
hackney:

Nigeria does not like the truth.
That's why they did not recieve her.
She's out-spoken and knowing all the resources we have,she would have sat in the conference and blatantly asked yar'adon't what they are doing all these years and they dont want that.chikena!!
Watch them give her no audience

True.

Shame of us--Nigerians.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by Afam(m): 11:31am On Aug 12, 2009
desgiezd:
If the government is not happy with her or with USA and wanted to give them a cold shoulder, they should have sent some junior ranking officers to welcome her rather than what they have done.

Exactly, even sending a junior minister would have made sense rather than not welcoming her at all at the airport.

I hope no one here expects the president or vice president to welcome her.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by simmy(m): 11:40am On Aug 12, 2009
on the contrary, i gathered that twas the american govt tht snobbd 9ja and didnt intimate the feds with info abt hillary's itinery and plans. they said it ll compromise her security
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by presido1: 11:46am On Aug 12, 2009
Diplomatic Blunder at itz best. Because the woman said the truth and how it is.
Now the world will know what we have as leaders, their end is coming to sight.

Irrespective of their crude behaviours i think the citizenry will benefit from this at last.
Lets watch out how things will enfold.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by Donvilo(m): 11:47am On Aug 12, 2009
Na waaooh! shocked Na waa for dis our country sef! angry Even if they say bad things about ours that still wouldn't stop the F.G from welcoming that woman. Afterall, She was only trying to help 9ja by being frank with us. And now, we she goes back, not only will she say that we are incorporative, but also we were not civilized! angry
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by otokx(m): 11:55am On Aug 12, 2009
Lets wait and hear what Dora will say about this.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by vigasimple(m): 11:56am On Aug 12, 2009
simmy:

on the contrary, i gathered that twas the american govt tht snobbd 9ja and didnt intimate the feds with info abt hillary's itinery and plans. they said it ll compromise her security

LIES always follow corruption. How can any serious govt open their mouth and say such thing that Hilary Clinton said that given out her itinery will compromise her security when visting a foreign country. They will have plan weeks ahead of everything in detail.

Also consider this, you cannot just fly into anyone airspace, let alone land at their Airport without clearance.NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT ARE BEHAVING LIKE A SCHOOL BULLY who have been told the truth about its behaviour, and don't like it, and grummble but can only behave in such manner. They are very daft since the 'leader' YAR A'CLUELESS is the head of  A DO NOTHING , CARE FOR NO CITIZEN GOVERNMENT.

Secondly, our government has this ARROGANCE about them, imagine if it is the foreign minister of sudan, or somalia or any other small country, they will ask him or her to take Taxi from the Airport to meet Ojo Maduekwe. That arraogance has been passed on to citizens. We think we are the giant of Africa, when our annual budget is only $24Billion dollars compare to state of New york alone which is $124Billion.

Essentially there are two problems our govt is not happy with, one, OBAMA visiting Ghana instead of Nigeria, and secondly, that they have been told in diplomatic languagae what majority of Nigerians are saying that they are crooks and criminals, extremely corrupt that majority of them should be in Prison.

Nigerians should wake up and smell the coffe. Thoughtlessness and shameless government are the most dangerouse set of virtues or vices any govt or people can have.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by manuel(m): 12:00pm On Aug 12, 2009
for once Yar'adua has pleased me. Lemme  say i personally dont like that Hillary Clinton of a lady. I do not see sincerity in her inner being to help Africa. I believe she is just yielding to Obama's (her boss) demands. bravo yara'promising
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by tijehi(f): 12:03pm On Aug 12, 2009
A host country should be informed of any intending visit by a foreign diplomat. Fine Nigeria is corrupt, our government is not living up to
expectations, yes we have so much unscrupulous people at the helm of affairs, but this does not excuse what Hilary and her people did.
I'm not making any excuse for the kind of country we have today, but please, lets be truthful, its not as if we are the only corrupt nation in the world. What about the recent discoveries as regards corruption that has been uncovered in the U.S. in recent times (since the recession hit them hard).
Okay, they made excuses for not informing FG of her intending visit based on security reasons. The Nigeria government might not be what we desire it to be, but I know that as per security concernin a top diplomat like Hilary, FG would have really set up a tight one around her.
It is wrong what the American emabssy did by not informing FG, I think they should apologise.
And for all you haters of your own country, Nigeria can become better today, tomorrow or in the near future.

America will not try such with Libya.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by sjeezy8: 12:06pm On Aug 12, 2009
Rebarobyn:

I agree diplomacy must be shown at face level even if all is not well.

but America deserves such treatment at times, they blab so much about the flaws of other countries when they are no better. the world has worshiped that country so much that they now think they are the savior of the world, wetin she go do for naija sef? I watched her on TV yesterday when she reacted quite rudely to a question she misinterpreted during a press conference in DRC.

America has Flaws FAR less then Nigeria. What do you mean wetin she go do for naija sef? isn't Nigeria a third world country who NEEDS advice from a top leading developed nation. Lol as if Nigerians aren't dying to leave Nigeria. Nigeria is even blessed to have her step foot in that country.  You said"wetin she go do for naija sef?" you might aswell ask "wetin naija peeps dey do for yankee, Jand, South africa, Spain, Portugal, Italy etc, ?America must be doing something right because people aren't dying to leave it.

simmy:

tijehi:

A host country should be informed of any intending visit by a foreign diplomat. Fine Nigeria is corrupt, our government is not living up to
expectations, yes we have so much unscrupulous people at the helm of affairs, but this does not excuse what Hilary and her people did.
I'm not making any excuse for the kind of country we have today, but please, lets be truthful, its not as if we are the only corrupt nation in the world. What about the recent discoveries as regards corruption that has been uncovered in the U.S. in recent times (since the recession hit them hard).
Okay, they made excuses for not informing FG of her intending visit based on security reasons. The Nigeria government might not be what we desire it to be, but I know that as per security concernin a top diplomat like Hilary, FG would have really set up a tight one around her.
It is wrong what the American emabssy did by not informing FG, I think they should apologise.
And for all you haters of your own country, Nigeria can become better today, tomorrow or in the near future.

America will not try such with Libya.
Idont blame them. Who feels safe in Nigeria sef? to tell the truth , After what the whole World saw fed gov police kill the Boko haram people, not even an ounce of proof, that all the people killed were in Boko haram. Nigeria is not a safe country if the robbers dont get you, the Fed Government will.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by sjeezy8: 12:10pm On Aug 12, 2009
manuel:

for once Yar'adua has pleased me. Lemme say i personally dont like that Hillary Clinton of a lady. I do not see sincerity in her inner being to help Africa. I believe she is just yielding to Obama's (her boss) demands. bravo yara'promising

What are you saying Nigeria has been on clintons mind since Bill clinton was president. Im sure you dont reside in America because if you did you wouldn't be talkin such Rubbish, Obama himself didn't want to go to Nigeria.
ALL NIGERIANS OR ALL AFRICANS IN AMERICA LOVE HILLARY
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by desgiezd(m): 12:12pm On Aug 12, 2009
manuel:

for once Yar'adua has pleased me. Lemme  say i personally dont like that Hillary Clinton of a lady. I do not see sincerity in her inner being to help Africa. I believe she is just yielding to Obama's (her boss) demands. bravo yara'promising

And to you, the government's behaviour is civilized, even in this time and age? Welcoming her shouldn't have anything to do with your liking her or not, neither should it have anything to do with her sincerity. All Foreign Affairs ministers must do the will of their presidents and hers isn't in any way different. Yara'promising will continue promising you until the end of his tenure and you'll have nothing to show for his four years in power except failed promises.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by Seum(f): 12:17pm On Aug 12, 2009
simmy:

on the contrary, i gathered that twas the american
govt tht snobbd 9ja and didnt intimate the feds with info abt hillary's itinery and plans. they said it ll compromise her security

You gathered? from who?

You be real mumu, Even CNN, ALJAZEERA, BBC etc monitored her movement from one African Country to another since she arrived Africa!

otokx:

Lets wait and hear what Dora will say about this.

I learnt she is ill,
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by tomX1(m): 12:25pm On Aug 12, 2009
If she is not here on an official visit with the Nigerian government the she has no bussiness being recived by them.
Must our hard working public officers take a break from their official duties to recieve every american diplomat who breezes in to sample our world renown pounded yam and pepper-soup at Iya-basirat's buka?
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by manuel(m): 12:25pm On Aug 12, 2009
sjeezy8:

What are you saying Nigeria has been on clintons mind since Bill clinton was president. Im sure you dont reside in America because if you did you wouldn't be talkin such Rubbish, Obama himself didn't want to go to Nigeria.
ALL NIGERIANS OR ALL AFRICANS IN AMERICA LOVE HILLARY

Look, all those white men who run their mouths as if they really care but just come into Africa to peep and steal our resources diplomaticaly shd not be idolized the way we are doing. they came into Africa, gave us the Bible. Whiles we had our heads bowed reading it, they where behind us looting our resources!
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by Kobojunkie: 12:26pm On Aug 12, 2009
[size=14pt]Clinton takes good governance message to Nigeria[/size]

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5g3ejIdrVBb4zGCA9_V2x0t-n8I1g

[size=13pt]

ABUJA — US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton took her campaign for good governance Wednesday to Nigeria, hoping to deepen ties with the African power but also help fight corruption and religious strife.

On a whirlwind trip through Africa, Clinton was holding a day of talks in Abuja, the capital of the continent's most populous nation, including a meeting with President Umaru Musa Yar?Adua.

Clinton was also due to hold a roundtable discussion with religious leaders in the wake of recent violence, the latest part of US President Barack Obama's bid to reach out to the Islamic world.

Clinton's top Africa advisor said that ties with Nigeria were crucial to the US relationship with the continent due to the country's vast size and its major oil industry, much of which feeds the US market.

"Nigeria is undoubtedly the most important country in sub-Saharan Africa," Johnnie Carson, the assistant secretary of state for Africa, told reporters on Clinton's plane to Abuja from the Democratic Republic of Congo late Tuesday.

Carson said that the United States had a "very good relationship" with Nigeria over recent years and hailed the country's increasingly active regional profile, including efforts to stabilise Sierra Leone and Liberia.

"Despite our close relationship, Nigeria faces a number of major challenges," Carson said.

He pointed to attacks on oil facilities in the Niger Delta -- which cost the developing country hundreds of thousands of barrels in crude a day -- and a flare-up in religious strife in a nation with sub-Saharan Africa's biggest Muslim population.

Nigerian security forces late last month crushed an uprising by a self-styled Taliban fundamentalist group in several northern states, leaving more than 800 people dead, the majority of them sect members.

The Obama administration has made outreach to the Islamic world a signature US policy, hoping to assuage some of the bitterness among many Muslims over former president George W. Bush's policies, particularly in the invasion of Iraq.

Clinton was set to hold a roundtable discussion with religious leaders at the Yar'Adua Centre, named after Shehu Musa Yar'Adua, the late elder brother of the current president and advocate of democratic rule.

A senior US official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that Clinton would listen to the religious leaders but that her main message would be on good governance and electoral reform.

Yar'Adua won a 2007 election that poll monitors said was riddled with problems. Nonetheless, some observers saw it as at least a small step forward in a regional giant that has only experienced few peaceful transitions of power.

"Nigeria is at something of a political crossroads. The last elections were deeply flawed," the senior US official said.

He said that Clinton would encourage Nigeria to undertake electoral reforms to ensure future polls can move forward without so much controversy.

Clinton will also hold a public forum with representatives of civil society on ways to fight Nigeria's notorious corruption.

Clinton has made good governance a key issue on her seven-nation trip. Obama in an address in Ghana last month called on Africans to take charge of their futures by standing up against corruption.

[/size]
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by Kobojunkie: 12:27pm On Aug 12, 2009
Yes!! score one for our leaders and boo!!! to Hillary for telling them the truth. How undiplomatic of her to do that. We need to praise our politicians for giving her a cold reception, even with corruption deep in their veins. 

Sigh!!! Nigerians, heal your own selves ooo!!! grin grin
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by manuel(m): 12:29pm On Aug 12, 2009
desgiezd:

And to you, the government's behaviour is civilized, even in this time and age? Welcoming her shouldn't have anything to do with your liking her or not, neither should it have anything to do with her sincerity. All Foreign Affairs ministers must do the will of their presidents and hers isn't in any way different. Yara'promising will continue promising you until the end of his tenure and you'll have nothing to show for his four years in power except failed promises.

ok we know 9ja is bad and all dat, ok we shd chastize ourselves and accept chastizing. but America own too much, dem no holy pass abegi.

She is at least lucky some ppl were at the airport to  meet her, she wud have found her way around herself.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by beeswax: 12:32pm On Aug 12, 2009
the comedy of errors continues,
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by mystikal(m): 12:34pm On Aug 12, 2009
it beats me wen ppl bring up the analogy since the U.S is corrupt, 9ja should be excused.
There is a big big difference when it comes to corruption in these 2 countries, Americans frown at it and try as much as possible 2 expose and
try criminals. 9jerians celebrate 'em and some pass on 2 higher political offices.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by hammer07: 12:39pm On Aug 12, 2009
This is a sad turn of events.why do we waste public funds on a rebranding campaign when our leaders are hellbent on dragging our name in the mud. The semi-illiterate group of bozos around d presidency need to stop disgracing themselves. Where was the Minister of Foreign Affairs when Clinton landed.We can't afford the potential economic repercussions if the US govt takes offence!
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by Nezan(m): 12:40pm On Aug 12, 2009
What did she expect? U.S. and Nigerian diplomacy is at a low ebb, no need pretending,,,, wink
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by ololade2(m): 12:51pm On Aug 12, 2009
what ever we say or think is of our own PERSONAL opinion,but lets not forget that the international politics is more than "what you see and what you hear",it may be fuunny or stupid to some people if i say "may be what the F.G did was the best for our darling nation"

they can steal ourmoney for themselves,but can't allow a so called "world power" to do so IF THEY CAN STOP HER, they may be greedy,but i believe they are not that stupid.lets just wait to see and hear more, may we live long

THIS IS AN INTERNATIONAL ISSUE, suport your people,for you can't realy say, you can't realy say, U.S.A will forever move round to get new TARGET(s),they can't survive without prey(s)
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by impish: 12:51pm On Aug 12, 2009
vigasimple:

Also consider this, you cannot just fly into anyone airspace, let alone land at their Airport without clearance.NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT ARE BEHAVING LIKE A SCHOOL BULLY who have been told the truth about its behaviour, and don't like it, and grummble but can only behave in such manner. They are very daft since the 'leader' YAR A'CLUELESS is the head of  A DO NOTHING , CARE FOR NO CITIZEN GOVERNMENT.

Exactly wot i was goin to say!!!

beeswax:

the comedy of errors continues,
True talk! the worst part is when we start giving excuses for our failures and ineptness. I dunno which is more embarassing?
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by sjeezy8: 12:53pm On Aug 12, 2009
EXACTLY -America's corruption atleast has officials who reinvest back in the American economy while making money for themselves. Nigeria corruption is TAKIN TAKIN TAKIN and not investing in better roads, schools, low income housing or anything.
Americans who are corrupt can never make money and live in a shit hole for a country. Nigerians just keep taking money and except the way Nigeria is.
I live in Yankee,Everyone is living comfortably senators take trains even Barack Obama had a nice small house ,one car and the vice president Joe biden took the train for 20 YEARS, up till he became Vice president.
In Naija Senators will have 16 fleet car Big house ect nonsense,

ME ohh i have no problem with Americas form of corruption but Nigeria's corruption is just looting like thieves. And they dont care about the economy.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by impish: 1:04pm On Aug 12, 2009
A question for those in support of this nonsense. So they shunned her and dint sent any1 to get her from the airport. What message were they trying to send? That she is not important and not welcomed in Naij? Ok, to justify this, then the President must refuse to meet with her too. He must not hold any discussions with her during this trip oh! I dont like half-assed attempts. 100% or nothin. If he does meet with her, he will need to come up with a credible excuse for why the blunder happened and that wud just further diminish her opinion of Naija as a whole. One must think their actions thru b4 commitin to them. actions = consequences!

There is no sensible reason why this occurred. Dont our leaders hav sensible and educated ppl advicing them?
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by Witi(m): 1:13pm On Aug 12, 2009
Kudos to Yara-slow never imagine he had some guts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Judge Threatens To Discharge 24 Suspected Boko Haram Members / Buhari Killed Awolowo -washington Times / Why You Might Doubt Buhari's London Pictures...see New Evidence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.