Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,096 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:41 AM

CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. (843 Views)

The Nigerian ''common Man'' Is As Corrupt As His Leader - See Photo Evidence / Obasanjo Is Not As Corrupt As Abacha- Oby Ezekwesili / Nigerian Masses Are As Corrupt As Nigerian Politicians (evidence) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. by emekagh(m): 10:38pm On Aug 12, 2009
For those who keep kicking them themselves about corruption in Nigeria, I have good news for you.

Nigeria has really moved up the ladder. You wont find Nigeria at the bottom (most corrupt) of the list again.

Nigeria is not even in the first 100 most corrupt nation.

Most western media, keep saying Nigeria is at the bottom 10, that's a baseless point.

Don't let them make you feel bad about yourselves or your country.

So chest out, chin up.

Check below for the full list:

http://www.transparency.org/news_room/in_focus/2008/cpi2008/cpi_2008_table
Re: CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. by Kenezi: 10:41pm On Aug 12, 2009
121st is not good, but just today Clinton said Nigeria is the most corrupt country in Africa, and yet the fools here are still hanging onto her every word as if the Americans words are law.
Re: CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. by kshow1(m): 11:25pm On Aug 12, 2009
These information to me is not correct , did they go to our local councils and see how monthly allocations are being shared amongst the politicians ?
Re: CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. by Kobojunkie: 11:28pm On Aug 12, 2009
emeka_gh:

For those who keep kicking them themselves about corruption in Nigeria, I have good news for you.

Nigeria has really moved up the ladder. You wont find Nigeria at the bottom (most corrupt) of the list again.

Nigeria is not even in the first 100 most corrupt nation.

Most western media, keep saying Nigeria is at the bottom 10, that's a baseless point.

Don't let them make you feel bad about yourselves or your country.

So chest out, chin up.

Check below for the full list:

http://www.transparency.org/news_room/in_focus/2008/cpi2008/cpi_2008_table

Here is a question for you. What western media house(s) has so far announced that Nigeria is top 10 of the list? Please provide some back up evidence of this claim made.

Here is another question for you. The list is called the corruption PERCEPTION index. Now what part of the word PERCEPTION means same as FACT here?

Also, does it really matter what ranking we are on the list considering millions are DENIED a better life in Nigeria ? Does this new discovery of yours make their lives somewhat better? Does it make the problems null and void?
Re: CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. by emekagh(m): 11:28pm On Aug 12, 2009
Kenezi@ 121 not good. I very much agree. But 121 is not the most corrupt. That's my point. A lot of other countries are far more corrupt than Nigeria. So lets try to improve, but lets also reject the destructive, and damaging label of most corrupt. It does our psyche no good.

Some of this people (Clinton and co) speak out of ignorance. They don't take time to update their knowledge. Because of sentiments and other factors (Nigerian factors) they know they can talk down on us and get away with it!
Re: CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. by RichyBlacK(m): 11:33pm On Aug 12, 2009
Well, I'm sorry but my total lack of confidence in the Nigerian system is so thorough that all I can think of is: "Have those kleptobots in Abuja finally found a way to bribe officials of Transparency International?"
Re: CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. by emekagh(m): 11:38pm On Aug 12, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Here is a question for you. What western media house(s) has so far announced that Nigeria is top 10 of the list? Please provide some back up evidence of this claim made.

I don't have the exact 'evidence' you are asking for. But I can tell you, I once heard a BBC reporter asking the Nigeria foreign minister questions on a BBC program. He made a comment that sounded like this: "But Nigeria is among the 10 most corrupt nations." What baffled me most was that the foreign minister did not even know that we are far above 10 on the list.

I hope that is good enough as "evidence"
Re: CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. by Nobody: 11:43pm On Aug 12, 2009
emeka_gh:

121 not good. I very much agree. But 121 is not the most corrupt. That's my point. A lot of other countries are far more corrupt than Nigeria. So lets try to improve, but lets also reject the destructive, and damaging label of most corrupt. It does our psyche no good.

Should this make me feel better? Why don't we compare ourselves with those that are far less corrupt? Abi you people like to align yourself with evil countries just to save face.

The country is deeply rotten in corruption. We don't need any outside indices or survey for us to realize Nigeria is sick.
Re: CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. by Kobojunkie: 11:45pm On Aug 12, 2009
Nigeria has been on the list of MOST CORRUPT NATIONS for a really long time now. I have never heard anyone in the western media say the country is actually in top 10. But even if we aren't already there, is this cause for rejoicing in any way? My point is, this thread of yours is simply for you to claim we are not top 10, is that all? Is yes, then why present a list that suggest the information presented is based on PERCEPTION and not necessarily FACT?

If you want to know where Nigeria is on the list, would it not make sense to actually consult a better list, rather than sit rejoicing while your political leaders continue to loot the treasury in the billions, with their being no hope they will ever be caught or brought to justice for reducing millions to a live of poverty?

It is almost 2010, and millions see no hope; millions will live and die without ever knowing what it feels like to have indoor plumbing, or even good roads and servies; millions will live and die without ever knowing what it is to be RESPECTED by their own government. And those millions are NIGERIANS.
Re: CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. by emekagh(m): 11:46pm On Aug 12, 2009
Nopes, that should not make you feel better. But it should at least point out the truth: That from number one to 121 is a great improvement. It means there is hope.

We need some positivity to give hope to us. Lets not disparage ourselves every time. Nigeria is getting better. That's is the point!
Re: CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. by emekagh(m): 11:51pm On Aug 12, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Nigeria has been on the list of MOST CORRUPT NATIONS for a really long time now. I have never heard anyone in the western media say the country is actually in top 10. But even if we aren't already there, is this cause for rejoicing in any way? My point is, this thread of yours is simply for you to claim we are not top 10, is that all? Is yes, then why present a list that suggest the information presented is based on PERCEPTION and not necessarily FACT?

If you want to know where Nigeria is on the list, would it not make sense to actually consult a better list, rather than sit rejoicing while your political leaders continue to loot the treasury in the billions, with their being no hope they will ever be caught or brought to justice for reducing millions to a live of poverty?

The 'perception' list is the same list that put us in number one position some few years back. The same 'perception' list has put us on 121.

Don't forget one man in the US stole 50 Billion dollars alone, yet the US is not perceived to be as corrupt as should be.  Corruption sir, is a matter or 'perception.'  It is not an exact science!

As for the millions who see no hope, how can they see hope, when we (Nigerians) spread hopelessness? Moods are infectious, if you want hope, give people some hope. I see hope for the future. I believe you should too.
Re: CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. by Kobojunkie: 11:57pm On Aug 12, 2009
emeka_gh:

The 'perception' list is the same list that put us in number one position some few years back. The same 'perception' list has put us on 121.
Yes, we should look at the list rather than consider the reality which is Nigeria to get our fix. Good !!

emeka_gh:
Don't forget one man in the US stole 50 Billion dollars alone, yet the US is not perceived to be as corrupt as should be.  Corruption sir, is a matter or 'perception.'  It is not an exact science!

Questions

a) Does this one PRIVATE entity make up the US as a whole?
b) Have the lives of MILLIONS in the US been reduced to poverty as a result of this ONE MAN's actions?
c) Is this ONE man an elected official/politician?
d) This ONE man stole 50 billion PRIVATE MONEY, how does this become a US issue?
e) Where is this ONE MAN now and where are the many MEN who have continued to LOOT from the Nigerian treasury for decades now?

I hope that by answering these, you will somehow realize how ridiculous ur choosing to mention the above really is. What next? Will you claim then that the 31 year old Stock trader who lost over a billion in trading brought the economy of Europe down? Please let's stop rejoicing in meaningless things such as this and hang our heads in shame for allowing this to have continued for this long.
Re: CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. by emekagh(m): 12:10am On Aug 13, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Yes, we should look at the list rather than consider the reality which is Nigeria to get our fix. Good !!

Questions

b) Have the lives of MILLIONS in the US been reduced to poverty as a result of this ONE MAN's actions?
d) This ONE man stole 50 billion PRIVATE MONEY, how does this become a US issue?
e) Where is this ONE MAN now and where are the many MEN who have continued to LOOT from the Nigerian treasury for decades now?

I hope that by answering these, you will somehow realize how ridiculous ur choosing to mention the above really is.

lol, you are really taken this to heart. I'll attempt answers for you:
Nope, a private citizen does not make up the whole of the US, but the US is made up of private Citizens. Maddof is not the only person who swindle people of mega bucks. Have you forgotten ENRON, WorldCom, Stanford, etc? I bet you have, you only remeber Abacha, IBB, Yar Adua, and yourself.

You clearly don't understand the gravity of the Maddof's scam. Yes millions were affected. Charity organisations, people's live savings, loss of job, loss of income, etc. Maybe you should update yourself of the Maddoff scam. 50 Billion Dollars is more than the combined GDP of many African countries.

This question sounds a little silly.
Must he be an elected official or politician? Corruption is corruption, whether by someone elected through ballot, or someone elected by private individuals in a position of trust.

If it was not a US issue, US would not have intervened! Besides tell us how you will feel, if a Nigerian bank or a trusted investment company steal your life savings. Your arguments are clearly insensitive to the plight of the people. Selfishness is the root of corruption! Don't let it grow further!

That's and assignment for you. Find out and let us know.

So who is ridiculous now?
Re: CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. by Kobojunkie: 12:22am On Aug 13, 2009
emeka_gh:

lol, you are really taken this to heart. I'll attempt answers for you:
Nope, a private citizen does not make up the whole of the US, but the US is made up of private Citizens. Maddof is not the only person who swindle people of mega bucks. Have you forgotten ENRON, WorldCom, Stanford, etc? I bet you have, you only remeber Abacha, IBB, Yar Adua, and yourself.

Let me get this straight, in your mind, you believe that Enron, Madoff, WorldCom, Stanford etc are to be considered the same way one would Abacha, IBB, Yar adua etc?

emeka_gh:

You clearly don't understand the gravity of the Maddof's scam. Yes millions were affected. Charity organisations, people's live savings, loss of job, loss of income, etc. Maybe you should update yourself of the Maddoff scam. 50 Billion Dollars is more than the combined GDP of many African countries.
Please, let us stick to the US here. I mean is 50 million more than the GDP of the United states? Did Madoff steal money from the United States of America or from SOME citizens of the united state of America? Sure, millions were affected but that does not answer my question at all. WERE these lives reduced to HOPELESS POVERTY as a result?

emeka_gh:

This question sounds a little silly.
Must he be an elected official or politician? Corruption is corruption, whether by someone elected through ballot, or someone elected by private individuals in a position of trust.

But you posted a link to an index by country so YES he does have to either be a Politician or someone who has access to the national treasury for his actions to make that list, or what do you think?

By the way, this causes me to ask. Is it that you somehow used to believe that people in America are PERFECT beings with NO BLEMISH of any sort and No CORRUPT vein in them? I ask this because your answers are beginning to give off that impression that you happen to think you have to convince people that Americans Can SIN too and so in your mind they are no better than what you are dealing with now in Nigeria. Is that what this is to you?

emeka_gh:

If it was not a US issue, US would not have intervened!
The US intervened because a CRIME WAS COMMITTED. Get that? CRIMES are the business of the US court and criminals usually are PROSECUTED under US Law. Is that like FOREIGN to you or something?

emeka_gh:

That's and assignment for you. Find out and let us know.

So who is ridiculous now?

Your posts have actually gotten even more ridiculous and I am hoping this trend is not bound to continue as I have better things to do with my time this evening than continue down that path with you.
Re: CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. by emekagh(m): 12:43am On Aug 13, 2009
You dont get it, do you?

Kobojunkie:

Let me get this straight, in your mind, you believe that Enron, Madoff, WorldCom, Stanford etc are to be considered the same way one would Abacha, IBB, Yar adua etc?

Please, let us stick to the US here. I mean is 50 million more than the GDP of the United states? Did Madoff steal money from the United States of America or from SOME citizens of the united state of America? Sure, millions were affected but that does not answer my question at all. WERE these lives reduced to HOPELESS POVERTY as a result?

But you posted a link to an index by country so YES he does have to either be a Politician or someone who has access to the national treasury for his actions to make that list, or what do you think?

By the way, this causes me to ask. Is it that you somehow used to believe that people in America are PERFECT beings with NO BLEMISH of any sort and No CORRUPT vein in them? I ask this because your answers are beginning to give off that impression that you happen to think you have to convince people that Americans Can SIN too and so in your mind they are no better than what you are dealing with now in Nigeria. Is that what this is to you?

The US intervened because a CRIME WAS COMMITTED. Get that? CRIMES are the business of the US court and criminals usually are PROSECUTED under US Law. Is that like FOREIGN to you or something?

Where are you driving at? Where you not the one who tried to dissociate a criminal from the state?

Your posts have actually gotten even more ridiculous and I am hoping this trend is not bound to continue as I have better things to do with my time this evening than continue down that path with you.

1. In your mind perhaps! Or as you will like to twist it! Get the point, the man (or people) who stole 50 Billion and the ones who stole 3 million. They are both thieves!

2. So until he steal an equivalent of the US GDP, he has not committed heinous crime? I don't know your definition of Hopeless Poverty, and please don't assume you are speaking for all Nigerians.

3. That's where you miss the point. You think the CPI refers to government activities alone? lol. CPI takes into consideration both the individual and public corruption - including the bribe you pay to NEPA, Police etc! I hope this sticks!

4. Perhaps thats your assumption. You are a very bad mind reader, good at reading yours alone!

From every indication, you don't understand the full meaning of the TI CPI. Sometimes, either you fail to understand my point, or you clearly don't know what you are talking about. You should broaden your horizon.

Good nite!
Re: CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. by vigasimple(m): 12:59am On Aug 13, 2009
You can find any reports to rationalise this country failure.

One certain FACT; NIGERIA IS IN THE TOP 5 OF THE VERY SEVERLY CORRUPT NATION ON EARTH AND POSSIBLY HELL.

Show me any improvement in Nigeria in the last 10 years. Most major building including roads are done during the 1977 Festac festival. Festac, all those federal roads in lagos, Lagos-Ibadan Express Road, start of Abuja Etc.

If you ask me personally, i dont need a sooth sayer to say to me that Nigeria is the most corrupt nation in the world. What make our case even worse is that we are not ashame of it. We celebrate thieves and fraudster.

When you hear musicians singing yahooze and comedians making jokes about 419, and Corrupt government fraudsters  being celebrated as successful species. That says a lot about us , and about our moral bankruptcy. GOD PLEASE SAVE US .

SELF DENIAL IS THE BIGGEST LIABILITY OF A FOOLISH MAN, AND THAT IS ONE THING WE HAVE IN ABUNDANCE.
Re: CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. by Kobojunkie: 2:29am On Aug 13, 2009
emeka_gh:

You dont get it, do you?

1. In your mind perhaps! Or as you will like to twist it! Get the point, the man (or people) who stole 50 Billion and the ones who stole 3 million. They are both thieves!
But you are the one who does not seem to get it, and by the way, I am still waiting to read actual answers to questions from you. Even the US agrees that thieves are thieves BUT I still do not understand why you believe this man is the same as your men there in Nigeria. The man stole. He was caught; He is in jail today serving the rest of his life.
Your own men stole; they stole from the people who elected them to RULE THEIR COUNTRY. They stole enough money to CRIPPLE A WHOLE NATION and send MILLIONSto LIVING IN ABJECT POVERTY (at least 70 million people today in Nigeria live on less than $2 a day) WITH NO HOPE OF EVER HAVING A BETTER LIFE. And you sit here comparing that to Madoff stealing private money in America; money that DWARFS the total sum of money held by the top 0.005% Americans, talk less of the American GDP. Does this help you see how ridiculous your comparison of the two really comes off?

emeka_gh:

2. So until he steal an equivalent of the US GDP, he has not committed heinous crime? I don't know your definition of Hopeless Poverty, and please don't assume you are speaking for all Nigerians.
He was caught, he is serving the rest of his life for it. His family are definitely paying through the teeth for his crimes. Tell me how Abacha, Yar adua, Obasanjo, Babangida and the many other thousands who have STOLEN money from the Nigerian treasury are doing today? How many of these men are serving sentences fitting of their crimes? How many of them have families paying for their sins?
I am glad you are also not speaking for Nigerians considering you are here REJOICING that you are able to post a link to make you feel good about the situation in Nigeria when millions down there are going to bed today hungry, and with no idea where they will get food tomorrow to eat. Worse, there is no welfare system they can run to for help and no government to maybe point them to any place they can head for help.

emeka_gh:

3. That's where you miss the point. You think the CPI refers to government activities alone? lol. CPI takes into consideration both the individual and public corruption - including the bribe you pay to NEPA, Police etc! I hope this sticks!
The following is from the link below
http://www.transparency.org/news_room/in_focus/2008/cpi2008
The Transparency International CPI measures the perceived levels of public-sector corruption in a given country and is a composite index, drawing on different expert and business surveys. The 2008 CPI scores 180 countries (the same number as the 2007 CPI) on a scale from zero (highly corrupt) to ten (highly clean).

Now, when it says PUBLIC, I don’t believe it means PRIVATE. Since the Police are in the PUBLIC SECTOR, it makes sense that Money collected by POLICE under the table would add to that. Not sure how PRIVATE crimes fit into that considering the index makes it clear it is a measure of PUBLIC-SECTOR CORRUPTION i.e. GOVERNMENT related.

emeka_gh:

4. Perhaps thats your assumption. You are a very bad mind reader, good at reading yours alone!
Note the questions indicating questions asked of what goes on in your mind. If I was a mind reader, I would completely skip the QUESTION MARKS in that and simple state that your mind is WONKED, big time!!!

emeka_gh:

From every indication, you don't understand the full meaning of the TI CPI. Sometimes, either you fail to understand my point, or you clearly don't know what you are talking about. You should broaden your horizon.

Good nite!
This has absolutely nothing to do with me broadening my horizon. If you took time, you would have figured by now that most all I have done is pose more and more questions to you. All I want are answers that at least help me better understand what exactly this is to you and how this is to be seen as happy news by any living Nigerian out there.

It is almost 2010; the country has more people poor today than it had 10 years ago. Population is projected to increase by about 20 million in the next 10 years and there is next to no hope in sight for those already here. Meaning it is likely number of poor will skyrocket in 10 years if nothing is done now. And you want us to rejoice that you can come in here to post a thread so you can stick it to the western media that Nigeria is not the most corrupt or in the top 10 list even though it is fact that Nigeria is one of the most corrupt in the world?
Re: CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. by Beaf: 4:58am On Aug 13, 2009
emeka_gh: Nigeria is not even in the first 100 most corrupt nation.

There is a mistake in your understanding of the list. There are 180 countries in the list, meaning Nigeria is joint 59th or Nigeria is in the top 60 most corrupt countries. Don't rejoice.
Re: CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. by davidif: 7:33am On Aug 13, 2009
Hurraaaaaaaaaaay!! Nigeria should be rejoicing that it is not the most corrupt country in the world but now the 121st least corrupt country in the world ha ha, that is almost like being in the bottom 30% in your class.
Re: CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. by CrudeOil2(m): 8:51am On Aug 13, 2009
We should face and embrace the bitter reality here. NIGERIA IS THE MOST CORRUPT COUNTRY IN THE WORLD. You dont need the T.I to tell you that.
All sorts of corruption you can think of ( political corruption, social, mental, economical and financial corruption etc)is very prevalent in the country.
Nigeria has lot over 300 billion dollars over the last three decades to corruption.
NIGERIANS WAKE UP
Re: CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. by Nobody: 8:53am On Aug 13, 2009
I think Nigeria made that good position not because our politicians have stopped steal our money but because part of their loot might have been used to bribe Transparency International, Lfmao
Re: CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. by desgiezd(m): 9:19am On Aug 13, 2009
Transparency International does not see and hear what we Nigerians see and hear on a minute by minute basis. Let them visit Abuja, the states and local governments, they will know that corruption in Nigeria is not disguised at all, it is naked here.
Re: CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. by chillbabe(f): 9:42am On Aug 13, 2009
No matter the number we are on the list we shouldn't be there at all. Corruption is an abnormal state of mind. For instancf a maniac takes over people's property illegally and distributes such extravagantly. It's a mixture of grandiosity and undue generosity, he says. "Coruption is not peculiar to the leadership class alone. Corruption is in everybody. "The earlier we realise that, the better for all of us."
Re: CPI 2008: Nigeria Is Not As Corrupt As Most Of You Think. by kokoA(m): 5:18pm On Aug 13, 2009
grin grin Poor Nigerians celebrating an improvement on "Percived" corruption list when public officers are busy pushing billions of state funds into personal accounts. grin grin. Worth a shame.

(1) (Reply)

Yar'adua Looks Very Very Sick! / William Jefferson Gets 13 Years In Prison / Sign This Petition Requesting Yar'adua Resign To Take Care Of His Health

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.