Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,766 members, 7,809,945 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:38 PM

What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? (2076 Views)

Governors Running To Abuja Over Herdsmen Crisis, Are Shameless, Cowards – Dalung / Buhari Blames Climate Change For Fulani Herdsmen Crisis / Nigerian Government Seeks ECOWAS Support To End Herdsmen Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by maclatunji: 5:45pm On May 08, 2016
Hello,

So, I decided to read the politics section of Nairaland today and all I see are abysmally primitive threads promoting tribalism and hatred as if these ever solved any problem.

The trending topic is Fulani herdsmen attacking communities across the country.

Away from the inept: 'Buhari should call his boys to order' rant, have people actually thought that:

1. 2016 is one of the hottest years so far with the implication that vegetation becomes sparse in the Northern regions of Africa and many herdsmen that are not Nigerians are moving South into Nigeria? These people are nomadic and do not care for the trappings of rural and urban settlements. All they want are pasture and water for their cattle which they rely on almost exclusively for survival.

2. That our borders are too porous at the moment.

3. The more hate messages you share the more the Fulani will feel unwelcome and have little qualms about attacking our settlements. Afterall, some of you want to 'wipe them out', what incentive do they have not to attack you first?

4. That while the government can do more to identify the murderous elements within the herdsmen to prosecute them, we as a people owe ourselves a duty to analyze problems with objectivity and profer intelligent solutions.

Let us see if we can have intelligent suggestions on how to solve the problem here.
Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by lekkie073(m): 5:47pm On May 08, 2016
nigeria should break up cool

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by Heromaniaa: 5:52pm On May 08, 2016
Northern cattle herders should be disarmed, enforced to transport their animals with the use of trucks, forbidden to herd their cattle through the streets of rural and urban settlement. compelled to stay away from people's farmland. In addition, state governments should establish grazing reserves and ensure that the herders pay utility bills after using it. Their movements should be monitored by the police and local vigilante.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by emorse(m): 5:58pm On May 08, 2016
Beautiful topic but I doubt it will get as much attention as it deserves.

However, I believe the solution to this problem is not far-fetched. President Buhari is a Fulani man. He is also a cattle farmer. He is not nomadic. He should call a conference of cattle rearers and make them see reasons why ranching is the way to go. He can then - through the agric ministry - make provisions for them.

Interested States and local government areas can provide fallow land and water facilities to these herders for a fee (an annual rent) while the federal government provides security and monitoring(some special task force or something). That way, the herders can settle down without fear of cattle rustling and the host communities can benefit from the use of their lands.

Bottom line, concerted efforts from the three tiers of govt would be very instrumental in ending this menace.
Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by Nobody: 5:59pm On May 08, 2016
1) Teach modern cattle rearing methods to herders.
2) Ask herders to band together to set up ranches.
3) Education is key. It is obvious many of them are illiterates.
4) Allow states to set up their own policing system. The sad incidents in Enugu would not have occurred if the governor could command the commissioner of police.
5) There is a need for a proper national data base. It will make it easier to trace people.
6) Teach tolerance through TV adverts and radio jingles.
7) Implement some of the recommendations of the National Conference. This issue was discussed at the conference.
cool Punish perpetrators. It will serve as a deterrence to others.
9) Uphold the sanctity of human life. The President, by his actions, seems not to care about this. He is yet to visit Agatu nor Enugu.
10) Enjoin all Nigerians to see this as a national threat.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by Nobody: 6:05pm On May 08, 2016
establishment of grazing reserves to restrict nomadic movement and improve productivity
Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by maclatunji: 6:05pm On May 08, 2016
lekkie073:
nigeria should break up cool

Fulani do not respect borders. Nigeria breaking-up will not solve the problem.

In fact it will make it worse because the successor states would be weak and in the power vacuum, non-state actors like militant Fulani herdsmen would hold sway.

Current conflicts will be like a joke compared to what will happen then.
Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by Bassee(m): 6:07pm On May 08, 2016
IbnSultaan:
establishment of grazing reserves to restrict nomadic movement and improve productivity
Who pays? With which land? Do these guys run charities?
Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by Bassee(m): 6:09pm On May 08, 2016
maclatunji:

Fulani do not respect borders. Nigeria breaking-up will not solve the problem.

In fact it will make it worse because the successor states would be weak and in the power vacuum, non-state actors like militant Fulani herdsmen would hold sway.

Current conflicts will be like a joke compared to what will happen then.
They do respect borders. They just have zero respect for communities with weak and ineffective security systems.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by maclatunji: 6:09pm On May 08, 2016
bejeiodus:
1) Teach modern cattle rearing methods to herders.
2) Ask herders to band together to set up ranches.
3) Education is key. It is obvious many of them are illiterates.
4) Allow states to set up their own policing system. The sad incidents in Enugu would not have occurred if the governor could command the commissioner of police.
5) There is a need for a proper national data base. It will make it easier to trace people.
6) Teach tolerance through TV adverts and radio jingles.
7) Implement some of the recommendations of the National Conference. This issue was discussed at the conference.
cool Punish perpetrators. It will serve as a deterrence to others.
9) Uphold the sanctity of human life. The President, by his actions, seems not to care about this. He is yet to visit Agatu nor Enugu.

Brilliant suggestions. You know I was not in favour of state police before but with this Enugu saga, I might have to rethink this.

The challenge is the danger of abuse by governors against preventing them from being lane ducks that they usually are in terms of serious security matters.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by maclatunji: 6:12pm On May 08, 2016
Bassee:

They do respect borders. They just have zero respect for communities with weak and ineffective security systems.

Your definition of respecting borders has to be very loose. I know I will not just try to enter Chad for example without documentation. That is respecting borders.
Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by maclatunji: 6:15pm On May 08, 2016
Heromaniaa:
Northern cattle herders should be disarmed, enforced to transport their animals with the use of trucks, forbidden to herd their cattle through the streets of rural and urban settlement. compelled to stay away from people's farmland. In addition, state governments should establish grazing reserves and ensure that the herders pay utility bills after using it. Their movements should be monitored by the police and local vigilante.

I am sure there are laws against their activities in many parts of Nigeria. The problem is implementation and I see the same problem with your suggestions.
Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by BankeSmalls(f): 6:16pm On May 08, 2016
Modern ranching. Ranch and feed your cows on your land like the chicken farmers do.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by Bassee(m): 6:19pm On May 08, 2016
bejeiodus:

With the ethnic, political and religious divisions that exist, I'm sure you know that's not happening any time soon.
Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by maclatunji: 6:20pm On May 08, 2016
BankeSmalls:
Modern ranching. Ranch and feed your cows on your land like the chicken farmers do.

At least we do not have a chicken keepers' problem. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by gideonematics: 6:22pm On May 08, 2016
Many men and women may not be aware that heart disease and stroke are major threats to their health. This days even young persons die from heart related conditions and stroke. They are amongst the commonest cause of deaths in our communities...The good news is they are preventable, find out 9 easy ways to prevent stroke and heart diseases....http://doctorspost..nl/2016/05/9-easy-ways-to-prevent-heart-disease.html?m=0
Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by BankeSmalls(f): 6:22pm On May 08, 2016
maclatunji:

At least we do not have a chicken keepers' problem. grin grin grin

Eggzactly grin
Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by emorse(m): 6:22pm On May 08, 2016
BankeSmalls:
Except that ranching is more expensive.
Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by otokx(m): 6:27pm On May 08, 2016
Sambisa forest, cattle must be moved in trailers not on foot pooing everywhere.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by VulgarVulvas: 6:29pm On May 08, 2016
Ban Islam and expel all Fulanis to Somalia where they belong.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by VulgarVulvas: 6:30pm On May 08, 2016
maclatunji:
[s]Hello,

So, I decided to read the politics section of Nairaland today and all I see are abysmally primitive threads promoting tribalism and hatred as if these ever solved any problem.

The trending topic is Fulani herdsmen attacking communities across the country.

Away from the inept: 'Buhari should call his boys to order' rant, have people actually thought that:

1. 2016 is one of the hottest years so far with the implication that vegetation becomes sparse in the Northern regions of Africa and many herdsmen that are not Nigerians are moving South into Nigeria? These people are nomadic and do not care for the trappings of rural and urban settlements. All they want are pasture and water for their cattle which they rely on almost exclusively for survival.

2. That our borders are too porous at the moment.

3. The more hate messages you share the more the Fulani will feel unwelcome and have little qualms about attacking our settlements. Afterall, some of you want to 'wipe them out', what incentive do they have not to attack you first?

4. That while the government can do more to identify the murderous elements within the herdsmen to prosecute them, we as a people owe ourselves a duty to analyze problems with objectivity and profer intelligent solutions.

Let us see if we can have intelligent suggestions on how to solve the problem here[/s]

The Kwara slave has spoken.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by VulgarVulvas: 6:31pm On May 08, 2016
IbnSultaan:

In sambisa Abi.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by maclatunji: 6:37pm On May 08, 2016
[5]Ban Islam and expel all Fulanis to Somalia where they belong.[/quote]

LWKMD.

How would this solve the problem of the 20 million cattle that need feeding?
Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by BankeSmalls(f): 6:38pm On May 08, 2016
emorse:

Except that ranching is more expensive.

I disagree, cows eat only grass which could be grown in the ranch. Chicken eat a variety of food, all purchased. Cow meat is yielding more than the small chickens so more profits.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by maclatunji: 6:41pm On May 08, 2016
emorse:
Beautiful topic but I doubt it will get as much attention as it deserves.

However, I believe the solution to this problem is not far-fetched. President Buhari is a Fulani man. He is also a cattle farmer. He is not nomadic. He should call a conference of cattle rearers and make them see reasons why ranching is the way to go. He can then - through the agric ministry - make provisions for them.

Interested States and local government areas can provide fallow land and water facilities to these herders for a fee (an annual rent) while the federal government provides security and monitoring(some special task force or something). That way, the herders can settle down without fear of cattle rustling and the host communities can benefit from the use of their lands.

Bottom line, concerted efforts from the three tiers of govt would be very instrumental in ending this menace.

Not a bad idea. But there is an argument of 'freedom of movement', how do you address that?
Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by BankeSmalls(f): 6:44pm On May 08, 2016
maclatunji:

Not a bad idea. But there is an argument of 'freedom of movement', how do you address that?

Why is there no argument about the law of trespass, malicious damage to farmlands and environmental pollution of soil and feesh water?
Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by maclatunji: 6:56pm On May 08, 2016
BankeSmalls:

Why is there no argument about the law of trespass, malicious damage to farmlands and environmental pollution of soil and feesh water?

I was referring to your suggestion that they be moved to the North. It is not like the whole of the North is savannah just waiting for cattle to roam freely.
Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by emorse(m): 7:28pm On May 08, 2016
BankeSmalls:

I disagree, cows eat only grass which could be grown in the ranch. Chicken eat a variety of food, all purchased. Cow meat is yielding more than the small chickens so more profits.

Have you considered the fact that the "ranches" are actually "lands"? I'm sure you know how expensive it is to acquire lands these days.
Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by emorse(m): 7:36pm On May 08, 2016
maclatunji:

Yeah. Freedom of movement will not be affected at all. OK let me try to paint a picture. The govt of state "A" has a large expanse of land lying fallow. They know that they can generate revenue by providing water facilities and allowing herders to graze their cattle there. Don't you think they would cash in? All the FG would need to do in this case is to provide other basic amenities (majorly health care).
Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by Ojayk(m): 8:27pm On May 08, 2016
Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by Empiree: 4:19pm On Aug 03, 2016
VulgarVulvas:

The Kwara slave has spoken.
grin grin you funny grin grin my laughter is CONTAGIOUS grin grin grin
Re: What Is Your Proposed Solution To The Herdsmen Crisis? by Empiree: 4:22pm On Aug 03, 2016
Honestly, Mr prez needs to speak up on this issue.

(1) (Reply)

If A Person Marry Adesegun Ademusiwa Will Your Baby Be Ugly / Buhari "I Am Not Intresting For The Second Tenure / Biafra: Supreme Leader Of Biafra Is Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.