Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls (14032 Views)

Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos / NCC Releases Short Codes To Stop Unsolicited SMS / Airtel Code To Stop Unsolicited SMS & Calls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by juxtabayano(m): 10:26pm On May 08, 2016
Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) is set to address complaints of subscribers who have been inundated with unsolicited telemarketing, short message service (SMS) and voice calls by mobile network operators with a warning that it shall fine any operator found culpable with a fine N5 million and N500,000 daily as long as the contravention persists.
LEADERSHIP Sunday learnt that the Commission in a ‘New Direction,’ issued to 13 mobile operators by the legal and regulatory department of NCC, plans to sanction any network that refuses to implement it on or before June 30, 2016, the shortcode of 2442 for subscribers to opt-in to the “Do Not Disturb” (DND) database restricting unsolicited marketing messages.
NCC in a letter dated April 19, 2016 warned MTN, Airtel, Globacom, Etisalat, Smile, Natcoms (Ntel), Visafone, Starcomms, Multilinks, Gamjitel, Danjay Telecoms, Gicell Wireless Ltd and Megatech Engineering Ltd that they should implement the DND restricting telemarketing their MSISDNs including the use of web-based solutions as opt-out measures.
The regulator said it shall be mandatory for mobile operators to create sufficient awareness to its subscribers on the existence of the DND on their networks; that they shall also comply with the quarterly and reporting template prescribed by the NCC to ensure feedback and compliance.
NCC warned operators that generated SMS shall comply with the 8am to 8pm stipulation (12 hour period) for sending SMS to subscribers and that the opt-in process shall be free. It said operated generated SMS is excluded from the DND list in as much as such messages are in conformity with NCC’s directive on timing and regularity and do not constitute a nuisance to subscribers and the subscribers shall have right to partial or full DND implementation.
NCC said the ‘New Direction’ issued pursuant to Section 53 of the Nigerian Communications Act follows the inundation of complaints by subscribers to its office about menace of unsolicited text messages and voice calls from mobile operators which have impacted negatively on consumer quality service in the telecom industry.
NCC said it was aware through its monitoring activities that some operators have set up DND facility on their network but the awareness by subscribers of the facility is very minimal and unsatisfactory. The menace of unsolicited texts and calls led NCC a fortnight ago to regulate the Value Added Services (VAS) market with the issuance of draft regulation.
Meanwhile, Wireless Application Service Providers of Nigeria Ltd (WASPAN) said every month all operators shall broadcast how to get on the DND portal to their subscribers. At the end of each quarter, subscribers will be required to renew their DND status by sending ‘STOP’ to short codes on the network.
http://leadership.ng/news/524648/mtn-12-telcos-face-n5m-fine-unsolicited-sms-calls

19 Likes

Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by IRserveMyComent(f): 11:01pm On May 08, 2016
This is a good step in the right direction. Mtn almost killed my battery today with unsolicited calls. In the middle of an engagement i would scamper for my phone only to see 55225.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by Monzuur(m): 6:15am On May 09, 2016
good
Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by PoundedYam(m): 6:16am On May 09, 2016
Bad market for MTN this yearcheesycheesy.

Wait, have they paid the previous fine?

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by Nobody: 6:17am On May 09, 2016
Good news

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by Nobody: 6:17am On May 09, 2016
at last

3 Likes

Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by dionysus7: 6:18am On May 09, 2016
and their T&C be reviewed cuz I'm wondering why no one has sued them yet

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by ritababe(f): 6:19am On May 09, 2016
airtel should be number one

#votelanicky
#missnairaland2016

5 Likes

Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by Marley01(m): 6:19am On May 09, 2016
Glo usually calls me with hidden number

19 Likes

Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by aragon4realz(m): 6:21am On May 09, 2016
calling me when am expecting an important call...that's so not right

9 Likes

Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by shevon: 6:21am On May 09, 2016
Glo is worse when it comes to unsolicited calls. It can be very annoying when you are expecting an important call and you get one only to find out it is an automated machine asking you to press 1. Ah!!!

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by amiibaby(f): 6:22am On May 09, 2016
Okay
Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by Empress2014(f): 6:22am On May 09, 2016
cheesy this mtn sha, them no dey hear word until they are fined, their unsolicited sms is worst
Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by vicobosi: 6:24am On May 09, 2016
Very good move I say...
Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by koxi: 6:24am On May 09, 2016
Pls they should be fast about it before MTN and AIRTEL drives me crazy...

4 Likes

Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by justicejay(m): 6:24am On May 09, 2016
Mtchew.
Emptyhen
Was expecting an important call yesterday, so the phone rang I have to rush out of the church just not knowing it was from EMPTYHEN.
I feel like destroying the sim at dat movement

6 Likes

Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by kbams241: 6:24am On May 09, 2016
Dat 5007 Mtn msg dat always enters any tym am expecting ALERT and d airtel customer care number dat calls anytym I am expecting ma Ex to call somtyms Wana make me pray I c d both network president face 2face with hammer on ma hand. sad sad

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by hassan85(m): 6:24am On May 09, 2016
propaganda jor. YES they should be fined. but if I may ask please, WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE THEN MTN 1TRILLION FINE?

3 Likes

Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by charlesucheh(m): 6:26am On May 09, 2016
ThankGOd!!!! Now, I'll know that any message that enters my phone will be that of a Job interview or family and friends, not like when I'll always in a hurry pick my phone to see a text from 4100 or 5255 saying to download this caller tune for 50 naira. 50 what!!! When I've not finish loading call card to call..... Good radiance!!!

2 Likes

Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by pretydiva(f): 6:27am On May 09, 2016
Long overdue. Fine dem all grin

1 Like

Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by teekay213(m): 6:28am On May 09, 2016
To who?ncc?it should have been return to customer.
Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by koredex4love(m): 6:28am On May 09, 2016
Most annoying part of it is the SMS,especially when you are expecting alert for a order. grin cheesy
Well,my respond is always that ,there investment go catch fire ooo.
Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by dollaflow(m): 6:31am On May 09, 2016
ok
Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by adedam007(m): 6:31am On May 09, 2016
Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by jazinogold(m): 6:31am On May 09, 2016
hmm
Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by sparkleRed(f): 6:32am On May 09, 2016
charlesucheh:
ThankGOd!!!! Now, I'll know that any message that enters my phone will be that of a Job interview or family and friends, not like when I'll always in a hurry pick my phone to see a text from 4100 or 5255 saying to download this caller tune for 50 naira. 50 what!!! When I've not finish loading call card to call..... Good radiance!!!

Wat!!!! cry

1 Like

Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by free2ryhme: 6:32am On May 09, 2016
PoundedYam:
Bad market for MTN this yearcheesycheesy.

Wait, have they paid the previous fine?

who dey fine epp
Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by Izygab(m): 6:32am On May 09, 2016
Thank God for this new development. I just pray they'll follow it.
Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by anonym0us: 6:33am On May 09, 2016
wink imagine airtel sending me 50 messages in less than 15 seconds
Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by PoundedYam(m): 6:33am On May 09, 2016
free2ryhme:

who dey fine epp
4get that thing jor
Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by jodeci(m): 6:33am On May 09, 2016
Sometimes i wonder if these operators are animals.Does it not occur to them that these unsolicited calls and sms messages are nuisance to subscibers? Th
Re: MTN, 12 Telcos Face N5m Fine Over Unsolicited SMS, Calls by MADrator: 6:34am On May 09, 2016
charlesucheh:

Could be GNLD you know... grin cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Airtel Small Money Big Data Package Finally Arrived / Download Aero Whatsapp Version 8.36 Apk Latest Version For Android / Get It Bigger And Faster With Gionee M6 Mirror

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.