Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,498 members, 7,812,539 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:59 PM

Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos (7712 Views)

NCC To Telecom Operators: All SIMs not linked To NIN Must Be Blocked Today / Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos / Telecoms Beg NCC To Block Whatsapp, Skype, IMO And Other OTT Services (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by alphonsojaybaz: 5:02am On Jun 05, 2018
ILLEGAL DATA RENEWAL: NCC TO SLAM N5M FINE ON DEFAULTING TELCOS
source: http://www.eyesoflagos.com/2018/06/illegal-data-renewal-ncc-to-slam-n5m.html

Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has directed all service providers in the country to desist from carrying out automatic or unwarranted renewal of data packages without the consent of the subscribers or risk N5million penalty. Its executive vice chairman, Prof Umar Danbatta, made this known at the first episode of NCC Consumer Conversation 2018, held in Karu, Nasarawa State. Eyes Of Lagos gathered that, He said the warning became imperative in view of the mounting complaints from the subscribers against the service providers for breaching the extant rules. Danbatta, who was represented on the occasion by the commission’s director of northern operations, Helen Obi, explained that the complaints received by the commission had risen to an unacceptable level that the commission could no longer delay in issuing the directive against operators engaging in the unlawful act. According to him, besides the N5 million fine that awaits the violation of the law, for every day the commission issues the sanction and the fine is not paid by the service provider, it will attract additional N500,000. “The Nigerian Communications Commission, NCC, on the May 21, 2018, issued a directive to all network providers to desist from carrying out automatic or unwarranted renewal of data packages without their consent. We have also directed that no mobile service providers should impose their services to consumers. It is expected that they should obtain their consent. “There should be a written text by the network provider to the consumer requesting to know whether the consumer is interested in renewing the package, after that, the network provider must also repeat the process to ensure that the consumer understood the terms and conditions of the service and has given consent before automatic renewal,” he further stated.

6 Likes

Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by nelsonB: 5:22am On Jun 05, 2018
FTC

Let's see if they comply

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by fiizznation: 5:28am On Jun 05, 2018
N5 million fine? Isn't this too small? Why not fine the defrauding defaulting company something like N5 billion?

There was a time one of this telecommunication company automatically renewed someone's subscription even when he hasn't exhausted his previous subscription.. Dude made a complain to their customer care, but the lady that attended to him said there was nothing she or the company could do. And that was how his 5k when down the drain. Talk about daylight robbery.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by trapQ: 5:28am On Jun 05, 2018
Nice
Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by chuksjuve(m): 5:29am On Jun 05, 2018
For once I am hearing a good news under this administration ..

Keep it up.

Etisalat will not like this news

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by wristbangle: 5:39am On Jun 05, 2018
N50 million fine would have been better. It doesn't stop Empty-Hen from carrying out their dubious activities. Rogues..

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by SamuelAnyawu(m): 5:44am On Jun 05, 2018
shocked Nice
Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by sleemoon(m): 5:52am On Jun 05, 2018
5mill too small naa... 5mill wey dem fit make within 2hrs of auto renewal...
why not 5bill.?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:20am On Jun 05, 2018
Good development
Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by Wiseandtrue(f): 7:20am On Jun 05, 2018
NCC money making adventure

What happened to one SIM for all network campaign

Is it effective now

They wait for network providers to reap thousands of citizens only for them to wake up when money is involved to enrich their pocket undecided

Why not ask them to refunds the subscribers, have a very effective software reveal to the public where they can lodge complain and you do a good job by following up immediately?

Is there any system in Nigeria truly alive to it responsibility

Mtcheeeeeeew

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by Depot(m): 7:20am On Jun 05, 2018
Who else thinks that Airtel is the best Internet provider at the moment. Affordable, reliable, long lasting and fast. I pity MTN sha, not sure i will patronise them again with the services am getting from Airtel

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by nonye6194: 7:21am On Jun 05, 2018
that was how Airtel was trending yesterday and Nigerians used the opportunity to slam their data that finishes faster than a quickie
Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by nabegibeg: 7:22am On Jun 05, 2018
alphonsojaybaz:
ILLEGAL DATA RENEWAL: NCC TO SLAM N5M FINE ON DEFAULTING TELCOS
source: http://www.eyesoflagos.com/2018/06/illegal-data-renewal-ncc-to-slam-n5m.html

Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has directed all service providers in the country to desist from carrying out automatic or unwarranted renewal of data packages without the consent of the subscribers or risk N5million penalty. Its executive vice chairman, Prof Umar Danbatta, made this known at the first episode of NCC Consumer Conversation 2018, held in Karu, Nasarawa State. Eyes Of Lagos gathered that, He said the warning became imperative in view of the mounting complaints from the subscribers against the service providers for breaching the extant rules. Danbatta, who was represented on the occasion by the commission’s director of northern operations, Helen Obi, explained that the complaints received by the commission had risen to an unacceptable level that the commission could no longer delay in issuing the directive against operators engaging in the unlawful act. According to him, besides the N5 million fine that awaits the violation of the law, for every day the commission issues the sanction and the fine is not paid by the service provider, it will attract additional N500,000. “The Nigerian Communications Commission, NCC, on the May 21, 2018, issued a directive to all network providers to desist from carrying out automatic or unwarranted renewal of data packages without their consent. We have also directed that no mobile service providers should impose their services to consumers. It is expected that they should obtain their consent. “There should be a written text by the network provider to the consumer requesting to know whether the consumer is interested in renewing the package, after that, the network provider must also repeat the process to ensure that the consumer understood the terms and conditions of the service and has given consent before automatic renewal,” he further stated.
Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by BIGTinfotech: 7:23am On Jun 05, 2018
Nice move.
Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by Neoteny(m): 7:23am On Jun 05, 2018
sleemoon:
5mill too small naa... 5mill wey dem fit make within 2hrs of auto renewal...

why not 5bill.?

It's not about the amount. No corporate board of directors would take it lightly with any executives who got penalties.

It's about the image.

2 Likes

Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by Wealthyonline(m): 7:24am On Jun 05, 2018
good this need to be done

If You are bold enough see my signature
Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by Bossontop(m): 7:25am On Jun 05, 2018
undecided
Worst off is glo.....the thieves removed #25 twice in the same week for one ussd twitter bullshit lyk dat dat i dont even know d code for and i even have my Twitter app......funny enough d plan was supposed to last for a week but they removed twice in a single week......i jus dumped d sim after dat
Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by Ogonimilitant(m): 7:26am On Jun 05, 2018
chuksjuve:
For once I am hearing a good news under this administration ..

Keep it up.

Etisalat will not like this news
l have called MTN to stop this auto renewal of data but the told me its there system that l can stop it at my end.

And l keep forgetting that
Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by Macnnoli4(m): 7:26am On Jun 05, 2018
I always make sure I cancel auto-renewal of data before recharging on MTN
Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by dyn1800: 7:28am On Jun 05, 2018
My mum will be happy with this.....lol

1 Like

Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by Nobody: 7:30am On Jun 05, 2018
Fuq ncc data is burning fastest than buhari relocation to daura and they wanna fine network for auto renewal.
Face the main issues mhen, 1k sub can’t last a week again self

Ncc is just another useless govt parastatal

I feel like slapping the full commission

3 Likes

Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by Nobody: 7:30am On Jun 05, 2018
Have noticed them giving me a new notifications if it's just a one time subscription am doing or recurring subscription.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by yomalex(m): 7:32am On Jun 05, 2018
tell them
Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by caridi(f): 7:33am On Jun 05, 2018
I sincerely hope that this holds true...Mtn is the most fraudulent network in Nigeria....BTW, 5million is way too small. 50million would have bn more appropriate.

3 Likes

Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by Offpoint: 7:36am On Jun 05, 2018
Finally I won't have to go through stress of text StopAuto whatever whenever I subscribe.

If only Glo network could be as fast as their Auto renewal.
Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by affable4(m): 7:37am On Jun 05, 2018
Please do.

The worst is when you activate a weekly plan cos of cash shortage, which runs out within two days. You now activate a monthly plan only for them to renew the weekly package after seven days.

You end up running on a weekly and monthly package simultaneously.

4 Likes

Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by Nobody: 7:42am On Jun 05, 2018
remember your money must not be complete before you start building a house, get a complete house plan now at an affordable rate, buzz me on WhatsApp via my signature
Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by Lanretoye(m): 7:42am On Jun 05, 2018
To load airtime na problem again cos auto renewal.
Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by Franklyly: 7:43am On Jun 05, 2018
Did I read 5 million ? Too small
Re: Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos by mamaafrik(m): 7:44am On Jun 05, 2018
Macnnoli4:
I always make sure I cancel auto-renewal of data before recharging on MTN
after or before,overbrain they worry me.....,kikikiii

(1) (2) (Reply)

BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! / Celtel Internet Settings! / How To Change Your Emoji From The Fugly Android Emoji To The Iphone Emojis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.