Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,454 members, 7,819,666 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:18 PM

6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. (40837 Views)

“domestic Violence Can’t Be Cured” – Woman As She Walks Out Of Her Marriage / 6 Ways To Make Your Home More Appealing To Visitors / How To Know And Avoid Domestic Violence In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by Junior66(m): 5:55pm On May 09, 2016
Vinshu:

Your post script is nullified with your initial statement. So because women provoke men that is an excuse for domestic violence? What are you saying?
if provocatn is nt a cause of domestic violence, den what is? Do you ever see happy people fighting? You dnt know provocatn leads to violence?

2 Likes

Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by dare2differ: 5:55pm On May 09, 2016
I know but you can only blame their brothers, fathers and mothers
nkemdi89:

Yes it mostly for those perverts who are into fetishism, although it's not normal because it can be attributed to a psychological disorder.
Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by Nobody: 5:56pm On May 09, 2016
kaziblake:
I totally disagree with no 3...A woman who goes out to work in order to feed you and the kids while you stay home doing nothing have every right to insult and even deny you sex.

Mecheww

Real men don't beat their wives

If you have every right to insult him, then what stops him from descending on you? If you have the right to be verbally abusive, then he has the right to be physically abusive

2 Likes

Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by halfricanadian(f): 5:56pm On May 09, 2016
Olabestonic001:

You're very right about those types of domestic.
Only that most men actually goes through the other 3 apart from the first one. Sometime, its the foolish reaction to the last three one that causes men to express the first one. But, sincerely, without GOD being given the onus of one's marital life, I sense more marital issues in the next generation. Not the ways some folks comments here.

Tanx for explaining better to me smiley
Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by eyinjuege: 5:56pm On May 09, 2016
Dumb posts everywhere

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by iamcourage(m): 5:58pm On May 09, 2016
MondeLuv:
OP if your dad beats your mother always, how would you feel?
na wa o..is it that you cant assimilate small information? Op is nt in support of domestic violence.
Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by misreal(m): 5:58pm On May 09, 2016
Festivalofholi:
A lot of peeps commenting did not read d article. Op is not in anyway supporting domestic violence, instead d article is to help women to know how to curb domestic violence. U ladies shuld be thanking d op.
true.many ladies didnt bother reading.little wonder readers are leaders.

2 Likes

Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by mbhs139(m): 5:58pm On May 09, 2016
Wealthgang:
People who usually rant "never lay hands on a woman no matter what" are those who end up doing it. Its not just by ranting it, u have to understand d real principle behind that statement. I know this from experience.

So why should u generally not lay hands on a woman? Simple! Cos women are generally perceived as weaker (physically) than men, hence are defenseless.
In order words, d real quip should be "never lay hands on a defenseless person (male or female)" instead of "never lay hands on a woman". The latter is by no means a moral absolute.

Saying that it is never justifiable under any circumstance whatsoever, to "lay hands on a woman" is d stupidest thing anyone can say.
As a martial arts student, I wouldn't fight with a lady (non-martial arts) any more than I wouldn't fight a 12yr-old boy or a disabled person. They're defenseless.

In d case where a lady is not defenseless n tries anything physical with u, by all means defend urself.
If d lady is defenseless but provokes u, by all means control urself no matter what.
If she's defenseless but still attacks u, by all means give her a dirty slap. It shud end dere, punches n kicks n headbutts not allowed.

I remember an incident that happnd in UBA bank uniport (which is usually crowded). A girl was shouting n cursing in d bank over her 5k which was wrongly deducted n d staff were trying 2 calm her down. Then a boy sitting elsewhere told her 2 calm down, that d money was just 5k na and would be refunded. This didn't go well with d gal cos b4 we knew it, she walked up to 2 boy & slapped him hard. As if that wasn't enough, she took off her slippers n slapped d boy again with it, to d dismay of evry1. She wanted 2 hit him again b4 a guy drew her away. D customers inside d bank were so angry n some were prompting d boy 2 give d gal a dirty slap n were swearing d gal would have died if it was them. The boy didn't react but just walkd outside.

What happnd afta, I dnt know.

If u were in his shoes, what wud u do?
If it was me, I won't hesitate 2 slap her back n front. Y have d guts 2 slap me in public? "Never lay hands on a woman" my ass. Wud also do same if it was a guy.
Some women don't hesitate 2 slap n attack men because they have that mentality an absolute law is guiding dem n they kw how 2 cry a river when a finger touches them. Bullshit!

As for wife-beating, men who do dat are goats n I wonder how women still go ahead 2 marry such men. One big cause of it is poverty n blockheadedness. U hardly c wealthy/enlightnd pple pummeling their wives.
Where I blame women 4 it is y they allow themselvs 2 be beaten continuously all in d name of luv or i-want-to-save-my-marriage

I quite agree with your submission, and I will give you one instance that happened during this fuel shortage crisis.

You know, we have been on the que at the station for only God knows how long. Only for this lady to come from no where to jump the qeue (keep wondering how that is possible, ... but it's real grin) with the excuse that she was just coming from the hospital.

To cut the story short, I insisted that she can't buy before me, I wasn't ready to yield my turn for her, so do other people. So, after I bought mine, the lady just came to me by the side of the car and dealt me a dirty slap, calling me all kind of names.

As I made to get down to deal with, she just grabbed the collar of my shirt and went down, slumped. Before you know it, people, Lagos lookers, don rush come... "wetin you do her..." is the shout. Since then, I avoid them and their wahala like plaque ... even my wife, I just dey look her when she starts her ...

2 Likes

Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by Nobody: 5:58pm On May 09, 2016
Every body is calming the all knowing on the internet..

Domestic violence is mostly the result of verbal abuse,you all can insult the op from now till tomorrow it won't change anything,we have been more vocal against violence towards women,what about verbal abuse towards men..until we give the same attention we give to domestic violence towards women to verbal. Abuse towards men,nothing will change,we will just keep on going in circles,repeating same mistakes,a woman insult another lady,which result in both of them exchanging blows,every one keeps quiet the sme thing happen but this time to a man the man attacked her everyone start calling him a beast...

Two things I won't take from a lady,verbally abusing me and physical assault,in my world you griping my shirt alone is an assault either male or female...

Equity over equality

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by Mamatee07: 5:59pm On May 09, 2016
ucheHapers:
Jesus, did people actually read the article. It's obvious people are in a haste to comment without reading even the first sentence. No wonder it's written

"They have eyes but cannot see"

The point is once you sa th victim is to blame rather than the perpetrators then everything else is crap .

It's like starting a thread titled " 6 Facts to show Victims of Armed Robbery are to Blame " angry
Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by dare2differ: 5:59pm On May 09, 2016
We shouldn't make domestic abuse a gender thing. It can also be financial, emotional, verbal and psychological. For every promise a man makes not to hit a woman, a woman must also make the same promise and vice versa. What about we encourage people not to control others with any means of coercion?

Doubleagent008:
Amen thank you for the prayer. we all need it.
like I have stated, I'm in no support of it. thanks for presenting those statistics. then I think definition of terms would come in handy here so that we aren't lumping different things together as one.
domestic Violence on one side hitting a woman on another.
I as a man I would eternally be ashamed should I hit my wife ( my personal principle) - this I believe is what qualifies as domestic Abuse right? I won't hit my wife. I made vows to love and protect my LADY( first step to prevent myself from such shame would be to get myself a LADY). that is a promise I have to keep beating her up at any provocation invalidates those vows. Keeping to your word is the principle of a man. please get me right. I have not supported domestic violence ( he is your wife - your pride and trouble you signed the contract deal with it). but what I am talking about is the erroneous belief that every woman can do as she please even to the state of being physical with a man and get away with it ( simply because she is a woman). the first rule is protect yourself first. you don't go rubbing petrol on your body and hoping that the fire would be nice and considerate enough not to burn you. A woman should behave like a Lady. my reference here is to the instance the guy I quoted gave as regards the situation in the banking hall... what the lady did was uncalled for. Kudos to the guy that he exercise restraint. Bravo!! but for a guy who didn't I won't join the band wagon that will shout " send him to the gallows" because the said woman or girl could have behaved as a lady and talk to the guy about her displeasure at his remarks...
Like someone said, Dead men don't explain ( something like that).
I have got a mom and I love her and it would kill me to see someone physically abuse my mother outside. But as have also not heard of it that my mother put herself in a risky situation of unladylike behavior. that's all I am saying.

1 Like

Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by donodion(m): 6:00pm On May 09, 2016
kaziblake:
I ....A woman who goes out to work in order to feed you and the kids while you stay home doing nothing have every right to insult and even deny you sex.

Mecheww

shocked shocked shocked Really?...
Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by Misogynist2014(m): 6:00pm On May 09, 2016
kaziblake:
I totally disagree with no 3...A woman who goes out to work in order to feed you and the kids while you stay home doing nothing have every right to insult and even deny you sex.

Mecheww

What makes a man real?

1 Like

Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by kingivie: 6:00pm On May 09, 2016
From d comment of some ladies here I alrdy see Dia husbands are going 2 be wife beaters.

5 Likes

Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by spill(m): 6:01pm On May 09, 2016
sabiguy:

So what about a man who goes out to work in order to feed you and the kids while you stay home doing nothing also have every right to insult, deny u sex and beat the crap out of you right??

You are a good example of r e t a r d e d n e s s and imbecility. The man wey go marry u don suffer. I rebuke your kind of Lady in my life. Amen

I wish I can click 1,000,000 likes for your post.
Any man that gets married to that lady will be declared COMPLETELY FINISHED.

MEN RUN AWAY FROM SUCH LADIES, IF THINGS TURN BAD FOR YOU AND SHE BEARS THE FAMILY LOAD FOR A PERIOD OF TIME, SHE WILL COMPLETELY FINISH YOU WITH INSULTS AND SILLY ATTITUDES.

TOKS2008, I LOVE YOUR WORDS OF ADVICE.
NOTE: Not everyone has the ability to comprehend.

3 Likes

Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by Junior66(m): 6:02pm On May 09, 2016
Suigeneris93:
My dear, the op's topic already says it all and now we're on it...so if your wife cheats on you it will be legit for you to raise your hands on her and probably kill her in the process abi undecided

dnt u girls get it? OP is saying do not provoke people (weda it is ur husband, wife, ordinary people on the street) cos de natural reaction is violence. Before u insult me, my female frend slapped me once at skul and i didnt tell her anytin, i just laughed but most people male/female will fyt bak.

1 Like

Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by Arsenate(m): 6:02pm On May 09, 2016
tmtech:
Fake azz men everywhere.. If ur female boss at work insults u, r u gonna knock her out.. Dey wud rather go home nd take it out on their wives... Fake azzes... No excuse for domestic violence.. If u r tired den pull out... Battering ur wife may not be a serious offence in naija buh murder is definite a capital one.............
your argument doesn't even hold water. Just as men won't hit or beat up their female bosses if they step on their nerves so also women won't dare talk back at their male bosses. It goes both ways.
So come up with a better argument, bro/sis cool

5 Likes

Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by Cooleasy(m): 6:02pm On May 09, 2016
Wealthgang:
People who usually rant "never lay hands on a woman no matter what" are those who end up doing it. Its not just by ranting it, u have to understand d real principle behind that statement. I know this from experience.

So why should u generally not lay hands on a woman? Simple! Cos women are generally perceived as weaker (physically) than men, hence are defenseless.
In order words, d real quip should be "never lay hands on a defenseless person (male or female)" instead of "never lay hands on a woman". The latter is by no means a moral absolute.

Saying that it is never justifiable under any circumstance whatsoever, to "lay hands on a woman" is d stupidest thing anyone can say.
As a martial arts student, I wouldn't fight with a lady (non-martial arts) any more than I wouldn't fight a 12yr-old boy or a disabled person. They're defenseless.

In d case where a lady is not defenseless n tries anything physical with u, by all means defend urself.
If d lady is defenseless but provokes u, by all means control urself no matter what.
If she's defenseless but still attacks u, by all means give her a dirty slap. It shud end dere, punches n kicks n headbutts not allowed.

I remember an incident that happnd in UBA bank uniport (which is usually crowded). A girl was shouting n cursing in d bank over her 5k which was wrongly deducted n d staff were trying 2 calm her down. Then a boy sitting elsewhere told her 2 calm down, that d money was just 5k na and would be refunded. This didn't go well with d gal cos b4 we knew it, she walked up to 2 boy & slapped him hard. As if that wasn't enough, she took off her slippers n slapped d boy again with it, to d dismay of evry1. She wanted 2 hit him again b4 a guy drew her away. D customers inside d bank were so angry n some were prompting d boy 2 give d gal a dirty slap n were swearing d gal would have died if it was them. The boy didn't react but just walkd outside.

What happnd afta, I dnt know.

If u were in his shoes, what wud u do?
If it was me, I won't hesitate 2 slap her back n front. Y have d guts 2 slap me in public? "Never lay hands on a woman" my ass. Wud also do same if it was a guy.
Some women don't hesitate 2 slap n attack men because they have that mentality an absolute law is guiding dem n they kw how 2 cry a river when a finger touches them. Bullshit!

As for wife-beating, men who do dat are goats n I wonder how women still go ahead 2 marry such men. One big cause of it is poverty n blockheadedness. U hardly c wealthy/enlightnd pple pummeling their wives.
Where I blame women 4 it is y they allow themselvs 2 be beaten continuously all in d name of luv or i-want-to-save-my-marriage
What a well balanced opinion!

1 Like

Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by Mamatee07: 6:03pm On May 09, 2016
I
kevinberry:

Domestic violence is mostly the result of verbal abuse,you all can insult the op from now till tomorrow it won't change anything,we have been more vocal against violence towards women,what about verbal abuse towards men..until we give the same attention we give to domestic violence towards women to verbal. Abuse towards men,nothing will change,we will just keep on going in circles,repeating same mistakes,a woman insult another lady,which result in both of them exchanging blows,every one keeps quiet the sme thing happen but this time to a man the man attacked her everyone start calling him a beast...

Two things I won't take from a lady,verbally abusing me and physical assault,in my world you griping my shirt alone is an assault either male or female...

Equity over equality

Verbal abuse is Not Punishable by law but physical abuse is. That man man or woman insult you can never give you the right to hit the person.

If a solider insults you will you dare hit him? That shows domestic abuser are cowards who only have power when it's a woman
Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by bezimo(m): 6:03pm On May 09, 2016
Assault against a woman is never right and must never be tolerated, but it seems some women invite such animalistic behaviour on themselves.

I heard someone say, A man that beats his wife is a fool, but the wife is the bigger fool because according to him, you know your husband is angry yet you continue to insult or talk back at him.Then he becomes provoked and losses control and comportement.Then assualt beginning with slap follows untill the wife is battered then she keeps quiet.
Later the cycle is repeated.

3 Likes

Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by NOETHNICITY(m): 6:03pm On May 09, 2016
Rubbish,but when ladies kill men u hypocrites won't bother to write anytin! Men re killing women and women re also killin men! Criticise both!

5 Likes

Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by justiz5(m): 6:03pm On May 09, 2016
Vinshu:
Your misogyny is pathetic . Real men don't lay hands on women.
What about real women. They abuse men abi? If a woman knowing fully well that she is a 'week person' raises her hand to slap a man, then that man has the right to bit the hell out of the woman. Rubbish.

Let me come here and hear 'real men don't lay their hands on women' again eh. It is your behavior that makes a man to lay hands on you or not.

Vinshu, I beg you to disregard that old quote, that has made many useless women to feel they can misbehave because real men don't raise their hands against women. Tefiakwa ishhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs..

If you misbehave you see real hell.

REAL MEN DON'T MAKE THEMSELVES CARPET FOR WOMEN TO WALK ON, NEITHER DO THEY MAKE THEMSELVES RAG IN THE EYES OF WOMEN

3 Likes

Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by Junior66(m): 6:04pm On May 09, 2016
AnakinSkywalker:

Simply put, only point 1 is valid.

All men must be men and show maturity with women. Being a man goes beyond having a "P.enis".

No woman born of another man or woman can ever make me lay a finger on any WOMAN unless out of self defense for my life or for the life of a loved one.

Men should learn and grow beyond the childish acts of women.

maturity is for only men right? Women shoudnt outgrow childish acts too?

3 Likes

Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by bezimo(m): 6:04pm On May 09, 2016
Violence against a woman is never right and must never be tolerated, but it seems some women invite such animalistic behaviour on themselves like the Op pointed.

I heard someone say, A man that beats his wife is a fool, but the wife is the bigger fool because according to him, you know your husband is angry yet you continue to insult or talk back at him.Then he becomes provoked and losses control and comportement.Then assualt beginning by slap untill the wife is battered then she keeps quiet.

1 Like

Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by ogbevireo(m): 6:04pm On May 09, 2016
even a thousand points raised here will not be justifiable enough for violence against any woman, whether wife, girlfriend or sister. #notoviolenceagainstwomen.
Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by nkemdi89(f): 6:05pm On May 09, 2016
dare2differ:
I know but you can only blame their brothers, fathers and mothers
No one is to be blamed fully for that, they make themselves the victim by choosing that type of life, behavioural pattern and disorder of an individual are mostly voluntary. These type of people derives pleasure in pain, a situation when a woman confesses she can't enjoy sex unless she is subjected to pain, in order to achieve that she will have to infuriate her partner so that it will lead to physical infliction of pain on her as long as she achieves the end result.
Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by huntax(m): 6:06pm On May 09, 2016
cowgirl9090:
I don't see reasons why a wife shouldn't ask her husband to help out in the kitchen or in domestic chores except she is an housewife but if she also works the husband don't need to be told he should help out .

This is complete BS. Let me give an instance.

Assuming you live with your father(maybe ur mum lives abroad). You work, ur father also works... Would u come back from work and tell ur dad he also needs to join u in the kitchen to help out with washing plates?
Let me also remind you, once u get married, u will have to respect your husband like you respect your father.
I'm not saying u should kneel to greet him or anything like that, but really respect him.
The husband is always the head of the house, that is a gift from God. He will only help out in the kitchen if he wants to, but he doesn't HAVE to.
All that respect would only go out the window the day he raises his hand against u (as he has clearly disrespected you too).

1 Like

Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by GANJAFARMER: 6:06pm On May 09, 2016
dare2differ:
You'll need to be a woman to understand the pains married women go through. Don't tell me I don't know what i am saying. What on earth would make a man attack his wife's disabled painful leg? You sincerely do not want to listen to that excuse. I know a woman who restricts her husband whenever he is going out because she knows that his going out means wasting the limited resources they hav. What about a woman who lost her left ear? What about the one that had acid thrown on her...and so many more.

What I understand is...we are all humans, we face pressures and I am going to disagree with you if you tell me that your reality is more serious than mine. It isn't. What is not wrong is wrong. No further explanation.

The reason I am not going to agree with your 'fact' is because I can also argue that for every time a woman initiated abuse usually verbal, it is a man's fault. It could be due to certain actions of his etc. However I am not going to go into that argument with you because it is exactly what I am trying to avoid...the blame argument. I don't subscribe to it because it never ends and it does not solve anything. It has never helped to straighten perpetrators.

BTW I have nothing against the man's action. What if the woman continued her madness after the little force? It won't be the best to raise kids in such environment. Personally, I think the limit should be the second time if the first one was not severe. However I was hoping you would think otherwise based on your earlier submissionstongue.

Lol , I'm not making any excuse for any form of abuse that goes on in every home and I do not also agree that for every verbal abuse a man gets from his wife is entirely his fault .
If a man squanders the little resources left for the house upkeep there are better ways to call such men to order by reminding them of their duty but physically trying to stop him from going out from his own house at his own will is the silliest thing any woman would do to restrain a man from squandering their limited resources if he's a spendthrift by nature. In fact it is a disaster trying to stop him when his plan to spend has been already hatched awaiting harvest. What if he's even drunk at the moment ? You've not stopped his drinking habit but you want to cage him with the use of force? Lmao cheesy
Finally, if the force is applied and the woman is still hell bent on dragging on as far as you're willing to go , then you'll reacess your position and if there is nothing , then people like me will call it quit. Lest the beating becomes a habit. I'm not blaming victims of domestic abuse here but I'm simply saying that women with wisdom do not even give you that opportunity to go bananas on them , only the dumb ones does that.

1 Like

Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by Misogynist2014(m): 6:06pm On May 09, 2016
kevinberry:

Equity over equality
Verbal abuse doesn't exist.

1 Like

Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by Mamatee07: 6:06pm On May 09, 2016
bezimo:
Assault against a woman is never right and must never be tolerated, but it seems some women invite such animalistic behaviour on themselves.

I heard someone say, A man that beats his wife is a fool, but the wife is the bigger fool because according to him, you know your husband is angry yet you continue to insult or talk back at him.Then he becomes provokes and losses control and comportement.Then Assualt beginning with slap follows untill the wife is battered then she keeps quiet.

I've witnessed a case before where the woman didn't say a word yet the husband kept beating her . It's like the more she didn't talk the angrier he got. So never assume that all women battered must have responded.
Re: 6 ways women can avoid domestic violence. by iamcourage(m): 6:06pm On May 09, 2016
Strahovski1:

His first paragraph has been void with his 6 useless facts. Why is he giving shameless men reasons to beat their women? He is promoting domestic violence.

you have assimilation issues too..Op isnt saying men should beat their wives because of the reasons he gave..he is just saying that those points could lead to domestic violence which we all know is true...dont come and be acting "ladies man" here.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Beautiful Pictures Of A Nairalander And His Family / Expecting A New Baby , Need Shopping List / What Is The Ideal Spousal Age Difference?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.