Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:15 AM

Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It (39542 Views)

Why The 2017 Budget Signing Was Delayed - Acting President, Osinbajo Explains / Dino Melaye Reacts To Increase In Fuel Price / Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by ijustdey: 6:14pm On May 13, 2016
OFFICE OF THE VICE PRESIDENT: THE FUEL PRICING DEBATE: OUR STORY

Fellow Citizens:
I have read the various observations about the fuel pricing regime and the attendant issues generated. All certainly have strong points.

The most important issue of course is how to shield the poor from the worst effects of the policy. I will hopefully address that in another note.

Permit me an explanation of the policy. First, the real issue is not a removal of subsidy. At $40 a barrel there isn't much of a subsidy to remove.

In any event, the President is probably one of the most convinced pro-subsidy advocates.

What happened is as follows: our local consumption of fuel is almost entirely imported. The NNPC exchanges crude from its joint venture share to provide about 50% of local fuel consumption. The remaining 50% is imported by major and independent marketers.

These marketers up until three months ago sourced their foreign exchange from the Central Bank of Nigeria at the official rate. However, since late last year, independent marketers have brought in little or no fuel because they have been unable to get foreign exchange from the CBN. The CBN simply did not have enough. (In April, oil earnings dipped to $550 million. The amount required for fuel importation alone is about $225million!) .

Meanwhile, NNPC tried to cover the 50% shortfall by dedicating more export crude for domestic consumption. Besides the short term depletion of the Federation Account, which is where the FG and States are paid from, and further cash-call debts pilling up, NNPC also lacked the capacity to distribute 100% of local consumption around the country. Previously, they were responsible for only about 50%. (Partly the reason for the lingering scarcity).

We realised that we were left with only one option. This was to allow independent marketers and any Nigerian entity to source their own foreign exchange and import fuel. We expect that foreign exchange will be sourced at an average of about N285 to the dollar, (current interbank rate). They would then be restricted to selling at a price between N135 and N145 per litre.

We expect that with competition, more private refineries, and NNPC refineries working at full capacity, prices will drop considerably. Our target is that by Q4 2018 we should be producing 70% of our fuel needs locally. At the moment even if all the refineries are working optimally they will produce just about 40% of our domestic fuel needs.

You will notice that I have not mentioned other details of the PPRA cost template. I wanted to focus on the cost component largely responsible for the substantial rise, namely foreign exchange. This is therefore not a subsidy removal issue but a foreign exchange problem, in the face of dwindling earnings.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/osinbajo-explains-reasons-behind-new-pms-price/

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by TippyTop(m): 6:17pm On May 13, 2016
Who still listens to this fake pastor?

130 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by Nobody: 6:18pm On May 13, 2016
Amazing clarification, so it's N135-N145 grin

But where is lalasticlala sef undecided

16 Likes

Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by Montaque(m): 6:21pm On May 13, 2016
Shows concern

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by Nobody: 6:24pm On May 13, 2016
Osunbade the explainer! I greet you. ... you see that's why you were put there, to explain things away. You are doing a good job btw tongue

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by Donpizzle(m): 6:29pm On May 13, 2016
Oga, forget dis ur comment. All na propaganda.........promise and fail govt.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by link2ok(m): 6:30pm On May 13, 2016
May God judge us all

57 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by Hengineer: 6:40pm On May 13, 2016
TippyTop:
Who still listens to this fake pastor?
I do! Very many Nigerians and even non-Nigerians do, far much more than those who do not and you know why?... its because he is an outstandingly intelligent professor of law, a senior advocate of Nigeria, and an annointed man of God.

The only people who do not take him serious are those who hate him, and the only reason they hate him is cos he was elevated by God to the position of VP of the FRN, together with PMB, and together they displaced a pathologically corrupt regime.

340 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by YourMrBoo: 7:24pm On May 13, 2016
This osibanjo is the worst fool of a vice president ever come to my memory...

Someone help me ask the fool why government should shy away from their responsibility.

Why can't the government endure by subsidizing our fuel until when we attain the said sufficiency by 2018.

Why will it have to be the masses that will do the enduring, what now is the responsibility of the government if they keep running away from their misgivings and problems.

The government should know that this subsidy removal came at a very wrong time when we are having crisis oon our foreign exchange...

This government is a flop, a joke and a scam...
I despise this government for despising on me first...

Zombies can go ahead and quote me, some of you will have to cough out the said money from your asses to buy the said fuel. Beautiful nonsense

76 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by Islie: 7:28pm On May 13, 2016
this is the second day of the price increment

I thought Presidency should have come up with this on the first day
Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by Naijji: 7:30pm On May 13, 2016
Does this mean there's still subsidy? Tell me no please.
Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by Stalwert: 7:45pm On May 13, 2016
[s]
YourMrBoo:

Someone help me ask the fool why government should shy away from their responsibility.

Why can't the government endure by subsidizing our fuel until when we attain the said sufficiency by 2018.

Why will it have to be the masses that will do the enduring, what now is the responsibility of the government if they keep running away from their misgivings and problems.

The government should know that this subsidy removal came at a very wrong time when we are having crisis oon our foreign exchange...

Zombies can go ahead and quote me, some of you will have to cough out the said money from your asses to buy the said fuel. Beautiful nonsense
[/s]

words of a jealous man

113 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by otokx(m): 7:47pm On May 13, 2016
YourMrBoo:

Truth is even by 2018 there is no guarantee of a working refinery in Nigeria.

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by OKDnigeria: 7:56pm On May 13, 2016
l fully support d govt as far as subsidy removal is concern.

My grouse with dem is their stinking hypocrisy. They opposed it in 2012, telling d pple dat subsidy removal is anti pple. We would have gone past dis issue as a nation 4 yrs ago. APC have set us back by 4 yrs by opposing subsidy removal in 2012. not dat they didn't know d benefit of it, they just wanted to turn d pple against d govt then just to grab power.

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by YourMrBoo: 8:09pm On May 13, 2016
Stalwert:
[s][/s]

words of a jealous man

Jealous as in how??

In my profession I do it well, am a programmer...

So I expect him to also do well in his, what's there??

Dude how do you charge the phone you are using to quote me zombifically?

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by kachola: 8:11pm On May 13, 2016
OKDnigeria:
l fully support d govt as far as subsidy removal is concern.

My grouse with dem is their stinking hypocrisy. They opposed it in 2012, telling d pple dat subsidy removal is anti pple. We would have gone past dis issue as a nation 4 yrs ago. APC have set us back by 4 yrs by opposing subsidy removal in 2012. not dat they didn't know d benefit of it, they just wanted to turn d pple against d govt then just to grab power.
Oga APC was not in existence by that 2012

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by Stalwert: 8:22pm On May 13, 2016
[s]
YourMrBoo:

Jealous as in how??

In my profession I do it well, am a programmer...

So I expect him to also do well in his, what's there??

Dude how do you charge the phone you are using to quote me zombifically?
[/s]

Jealousy jealousy is the root of hatred

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by LesbianBoy(m): 8:29pm On May 13, 2016
God Punish Buhari and his supporters! angry

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by onosprince(m): 9:31pm On May 13, 2016
Shove your explanation in your ass. See as he do he face like duck

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by koboko69: 9:31pm On May 13, 2016
I got over 40 mentions of attack and abuses on my thread for stating the obvious

Sentiments have beclouded the judgements of so many....

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by passionate88: 9:31pm On May 13, 2016
MUMU pastor commissioner

5 Likes

Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by Paulpenny(m): 9:32pm On May 13, 2016

6 Likes

Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by kennyman2000(m): 9:33pm On May 13, 2016
Nice explanation but not still happy with the increment.

2 Likes

Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by Speakdatruth: 9:33pm On May 13, 2016
sir we are more enlightened, we support u
#Nomorefreefood

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by ALAYORMII: 9:33pm On May 13, 2016
Explanation upon explanation
Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by adioolayi(m): 9:34pm On May 13, 2016
passionate88:
MUMU pastor commissioner
Is this your Worse?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by giles14(m): 9:34pm On May 13, 2016
APC buhari pls wen are you guys selling dis con3 cos it's the only thing

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by BIGTinfotech: 9:35pm On May 13, 2016
Ok sire!
Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by Horus(m): 9:35pm On May 13, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGfH9H5QvfQ

[size=14pt]Nigerian govt. finally removes fuel subsidy[/size]

The Federal Government has finally removed subsidy from sale of Premium Motor Spirit, PMS, also known as petrol with immediate effect. After the trillions of naira spent by successive administrations sustaining the corrupt and hugely inefficient fuel subsidy regime, Wednesday the Muhammadu Buhari administration finally summoned up the courage to remove the subsidy on petrol, stating that it would now sell for not more than N145 a litre.
Re: Increase In Fuel Price: Osinbajo Explains Reasons Behind It by CarrotAndStick: 9:35pm On May 13, 2016
So Osibanjo is still the Vice President?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Wike To Honour Rotimi Amaechi With An Award / Shehu Sani Doesn't Know The Man In His The Campaign Poster With Buhari / See Infographic Of What Recovered $9.8m From Former GMD NNPC Yakubu Can Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.