Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,276 members, 7,811,804 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:03 PM

FUEL SUBSIDY REMOVAL: The Painful Way Forward - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FUEL SUBSIDY REMOVAL: The Painful Way Forward (674 Views)

CRS Removal: The Lies And Ignorance, Curriculum Was Reviewed Under Jonathan / Fuel Subsidy Removal – The Biggest Losers And Winners / Subsidy Removal,the Reality And The Advantages. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FUEL SUBSIDY REMOVAL: The Painful Way Forward by Jesusguy: 5:48am On May 14, 2016
Fellow Nigerians,
First of all, let me establish that I stand with NIGERIA and not with Buhari, Jonathan or anyone. Let's stand together for ourselves and not quarrel due to sentiments and tribe. FUEL SUBSIDY IS A DISEASE and RAPE of this nation. As a nation, our leaders have painfully failed to store up in the "years of plenty" and we are now suffering the consequences in this "famine". Let me paint this picture of the current scenario:

1. Your father is wealthy and can afford a good standard of living for you. At a time, things get bad for him and he is struggling with his finances. What will you have him do? Borrow to sustain your earlier standard of living? or would you rather adjust your lifestyle to face the current reality?
2. Your father is away, working outside your state to make ends meet. He sends you N10 monthly for your upkeep through your uncle. Your uncle cheats you, taking N8 for himself and only gives you N2. How would you feel knowing your father is working hard for your upkeep and your uncle is busy stealing and squandering your father's hard-earned money for your upkeep?

This is the reality of the current fuel subsidy regime. For me, the two main reasons why we should support the end of fuel subsidy are:

a. With fuel subsidy, fuel business is more profitable when there are no refineries working in Nigeria. Without fuel subsidy, the business is more profitable WITH working refineries in Nigeria.
b. Market forces that will bring about the drop of fuel price cannot work in the subsidy regime but with the subsidy gone, market forces can find expression and will naturally induce competition and regular drop in fuel prices. (Remember sim cards once cost N30,000 in Nigeria? How much is it now? Less than N300!)

Please note that I am a common Nigerian, not one with great means so I will feel the pain of the fuel subsidy removal too, just like anyone else. In conclusion, please note the following:

I. There is no escaping this discomfort. We either face it now or face worse in the future.
II. Fuel subsidy is akin to giving Nigerians a "fake lifestyle", just like a father throwing a birthday party for his son over and instead of paying his school fees.
III. This is the only reasonable way to progress in the oil sector. The only reasonable way for the masses to determine their own fate rather than look to the same leadership that has failed us repeatedly.

In the bluntest of expressions, FUEL SUBSIDY is evil! Let's forget about sentiments and tribe, forget about the fact that those presently in government resisted it previously, let's work and fight for ourselves and our children. So tomorrow, we'll proudly look at our kids knowing we bore the pain for their pleasure and comfort.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA!!!

PS: Regardless of whether you share my views or not, may God bless you, give you joy and uncountable reasons to be happy!

1 Like

Re: FUEL SUBSIDY REMOVAL: The Painful Way Forward by divinehand2003(m): 6:08am On May 14, 2016
cry cry cry cry
Re: FUEL SUBSIDY REMOVAL: The Painful Way Forward by oloriooko(m): 7:05am On May 14, 2016
FYI what the govt did is partial subsidy removal cuz the new reviewed forex policy gives marketers dollars at 298 instead of 320, so the govt is still subsidizing dollars both for the marketers and NNPC
Re: FUEL SUBSIDY REMOVAL: The Painful Way Forward by hungryboy(m): 7:09am On May 14, 2016
Since Buhari Assumed office,
Not only has the price of foodstuffs gone up,
But the price of all essential items, like creams, toothpaste slippers, gadgets etc.

Now he is telling us that he is fighting the oil cabal by removing subsidy,
Who is going to suffer this?,
it won't be Buhari's family,
it certainly won't be our overpaid legislators,
It won't be the oil marketers,
it will be us the masses,
Who will pay the price.
Re: FUEL SUBSIDY REMOVAL: The Painful Way Forward by mosesdejaviano(m): 7:38am On May 14, 2016
So tell me one thing this administration has achieved. There is nothing they are responsible for. The citizens provide the basic needs for themselves. So what is their responsibility? Wow we are finished in this country. Food prices are not subsidized, even fuel which affects everybody too can't be subsidized again. We are indeed in a banana Republic
Re: FUEL SUBSIDY REMOVAL: The Painful Way Forward by oduastates: 8:13am On May 14, 2016
Adam Smith

Adam Smith wrote about the tonnage bounty ( subsidies) paid to the white herring fishery and how it has been too common for vessels to fit out for the sole purpose of catching, not the fish, but the bounty(Subsidies).

(1) (Reply)

Mohammadu Buhari, A Reason For Regret / Northern Youths Pray To Allah To Destroy Buhari’s Government(video + Photos) / Poor Nigerians Are Now Subsidizing The Federal Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.