Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,050 members, 7,821,616 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

Physics For The Non Science. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Physics For The Non Science. (1098 Views)

Basic Concepts Of Quantum Physics / Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) / The Beauty And Physics Of The Sky. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Physics For The Non Science. by Brigance(m): 11:15am On May 14, 2016
I belong on the 'opposite' side science.

I am a law student in one of the federal universities.

But recently, I've flirted with physics enough to imagine how one would actually live in a world he knows next to nothing about.

Imagine an Apple falls on my head in the garden and the next thing I say is 'Thank Zeus, for plucking me the apple.'

I would love to learn physics and I'd love if you'd help me.

I bought a physics textbook already and I'm not foolish to think i wont have problems studying it.

Here i am. infact, here we are(I am certain quite a number of people here are in my shoes.)

I'd post problems as often i encounter them in the textbook.

cc Jonnydon22, tempaakguy, sirwere, thehomer, plaetton, Joseph1013, esukekereode.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Physics For The Non Science. by johnydon22(m): 11:24am On May 14, 2016

1 Like

Re: Physics For The Non Science. by olasubomi007(m): 11:30am On May 14, 2016
Grabs popcorn.. Make I sitdon learn physics
Re: Physics For The Non Science. by Brigance(m): 11:34am On May 14, 2016
johnydon22:
https://www.nairaland.com/3033602/simplified-physics-johnydon22-part-1

you may like that

I appreciate you Johnny.

Infact, that thread inspired my thirst for knowledge of the physical world.

I'll happily close down this thread if you can slightly assure me that you'd more prolific with posts. Johnny, all you have there is the Newtonian laws of motion. I've read the thread, bookmarked them and reread them all over.
Re: Physics For The Non Science. by johnydon22(m): 11:50am On May 14, 2016
Brigance:

I appreciate you Johnny.

Infact, that thread inspired my thirst for knowledge of the physical world.

I'll happily close down this thread if you can slightly assure me that you'd more prolific with posts. Johnny, all you have there is the Newtonian laws of motion. I've read the thread, bookmarked them and reread them all over.

will try my best to make out time
Re: Physics For The Non Science. by Brigance(m): 11:55am On May 14, 2016
johnydon22:

will try my best to make out time
I'll appreciate bro.
Re: Physics For The Non Science. by joseph1013: 12:06pm On May 14, 2016
I'm impressed.

Sometimes back I sent some links to a relative who was idle at the time and wanted to know about science. Here is the one dealing with Physics as a Subject: http://m.dummies.com/topics/education-languages/science/Physics.html

You're welcome.

1 Like

Re: Physics For The Non Science. by Brigance(m): 12:08pm On May 14, 2016
joseph1013:
I'm impressed.

Sometimes back I sent some links to a relative who was idle at the time and wanted to know about science. Here is the one dealing with Physics as a Subject: http://m.dummies.com/topics/education-languages/science/Physics.html

You're welcome.

Thank you Joseph.

Did you see my request from the other thread?
Re: Physics For The Non Science. by Brigance(m): 6:47pm On May 14, 2016
The law of reflection: The law of reflection shows the relationship between the incident angle and the reflected angle for a ray of light incident on a surface. The angles are measured relative to the surface normal (a line that is perpendicular to the surface), not relative to the surface itself.

The index of refraction: This quantity describes the effect of atoms and molecules on the light as it travels through a transparent material.

Snell's law or the law of refraction: Snell's law shows the relationship between the incident angle and the transmitted angle (refracted angle) for a ray of light incident on a surface of a transparent material.

The critical angle for total internal reflection: Total internal reflection is the situation where light hits and reflects off the surface of a transparent material without transmitting through the surface. It utilizes the critical angle (the minimum angle of incidence where total internal reflection takes place.). For total internal reflection to occur, the light must start in the material with the higher index.
Please, can these be simplified a little into layman's language.
Re: Physics For The Non Science. by Nobody: 7:05am On May 15, 2016
OUR.DAILY MANNA
Re: Physics For The Non Science. by Nobody: 7:09am On May 15, 2016
WISH MY RELIGIOUS FRIENDS COULD JUST START READING EDUCATIONAL BOOKS AND BECOME A PART OF IT AND VIEW THE WORLD DIFFERENTLY BUT NO THEY ARE SCARED OF WHAT THEY MIGHT FIND

1 Like

Re: Physics For The Non Science. by Brigance(m): 10:03am On May 15, 2016
What is a Vector?

In physics, when you have a vector, you have to keep in mind two quantities: its direction and its magnitude. Quantities that have only a magnitude are called scalars. If you give a scalar magnitude a direction, you create a vector .
Visually, you see vectors drawn as arrows, which is perfect because an arrow has both a clear direction and a clear magnitude (the length of the arrow).
In Essence, vector is a quantity that has magnitude and a direction.

1 Like

Re: Physics For The Non Science. by Brigance(m): 12:26pm On May 16, 2016
Units and Measurements.

Physical quantity is useless unless it can be measured, quantified and given a unit.

The important and Fundamental quantities in physics are

Length

Mass and

Time.

The unified standard of measurement is called International System Of Units. often called S.I units.

A tabular reference is attached below:

1 Like

Re: Physics For The Non Science. by Brigance(m): 5:44pm On May 16, 2016
Derived Quantities and units.

By Simple combination of the S.I basic Units, we can obtain other useful units.

These are called derived units.

Recall, that i made a note on the fundamental units in the earlier posts which included length, time and mass.

So then, from these basic Units of measurement, other useful units can be derived.

For example,

the unit of volume is obtained by multiplying the unit for length 3 times. I.e m*m*m= m3 pronounced 'cubic metre' or 'metre cubed'.

Density is the ratio of mass and volume which in turn gives a unit of kgm-3(raise to power of-3).

Speed can be denoted by the division of distance and time which gives a unit of ms-1(raise to power minus1).

Attached below is a tabular reference:

1 Like

Re: Physics For The Non Science. by Brigance(m): 5:29pm On May 17, 2016
Measurement of Time

The most natural time unit is the solar day, manifested by the passing of day and night. It takes earth one solar day to complete one rotation about its axis. As we all know, the unit of time is seconds(s).

Its multiple units are minutes, hour and day.

All events which happen in natu're involved the idea of time. In a typical laboratory, time is usually measured by a stop watch or a stop clock.

Nowadays, quartz clocks and atomic clocks give a high degree of accuracy.
Re: Physics For The Non Science. by Brigance(m): 5:33pm On May 17, 2016
Measurement of Mass

The mass of a body is a measure of the quantity of matter it contains.

Mass is usually measured by comparing it with standard masses, using a balance. There are various types, and one found in most schools is the beam or chemical balance. Diagrams are attached below.

Re: Physics For The Non Science. by Brigance(m): 6:32pm On May 17, 2016
Mass and Weight.

Sometimes we talk of measuring weight instead of mass. These two are not the same.

Mass is the quantity of matter in a body, while weight is the earth's pull on a body.

A force can either be a push or a pull, and weight is a force. It has both magnitude and direction, hence a vector. Mass has only magnitude and is therefore a scalar quantity. (Remember our earlier discuss on vectors and scalars).
Re: Physics For The Non Science. by Brigance(m): 6:36pm On May 17, 2016

Mass is the quantity of matter in a body, while weight is the earth's pull on a body.

I need help understanding this.

jonnydon22, Joseph1038, sirwere, plaetton, thehomer, hardmirror, tempaakguy e.t.c ..
Re: Physics For The Non Science. by HardMirror(m): 6:57pm On May 17, 2016
Brigance:

jonnydon22, Joseph1038, sirwere, plaetton, thehomer, hardmirror, tempaakguy e.t.c ..
Mass is directly proportional to the atomic mass of elements contained in any compound. This is the reason why you can have same volume of 2 elements and they still weight differently. To make it easy for you let me explain with a bucket.

Imagine a bucket filled with cotton wool and another bucket filled with water, which would be heavier?
The bucket of water of cause.
This is because water has more mass than cotton wool.

Case 2 to demonstrate difference between mass and weight

Now imagine that same bucket inside a well. When the bucket is under the water, you will discover that it is easy to pull it up, but immediately the bucket gets above the water level in the well as you pull, it gets heavier suddenly. The weight increased because water around the bucket was aiding in counter-acting against gravity through Buoyancy.

So even though the mass remains the same under the water and outside the water, you experience more downward pull because of gravity.

Same thing with if you are in a swimming pull. You feel lighter, even though your mass did not change, but the downward gravitational force is greatly reduced.

2 Likes

Re: Physics For The Non Science. by Brigance(m): 7:56pm On May 17, 2016
HardMirror:

Mass is directly proportional to the atomic mass of elements contained in any compound. This is the reason why you can have same volume of 2 elements and they still weight differently. To make it easy for you let me explain with a bucket.

Imagine a bucket filled with cotton wool and another bucket filled with water, which would be heavier?
The bucket of water of cause.
This is because water has more mass than cotton wool.

Case 2 to demonstrate difference between mass and weight

Now imagine that same bucket inside a well. When the bucket is under the water, you will discover that it is easy to pull it up, but immediately the bucket gets above the water level in the well as you pull, it gets heavier suddenly. The weight increased because water around the bucket was aiding in counter-acting against gravity through Buoyancy.

So even though the mass remains the same under the water and outside the water, you experience more downward pull because of gravity.

Same thing with if you are in a swimming pull. You feel lighter, even though your mass did not change, but the downward gravitational force is greatly reduced.

Thanks boss...

This is enlightening.. I appreciate..

1 Like

Re: Physics For The Non Science. by thehomer: 8:09pm On May 17, 2016
Brigance:
I belong on the 'opposite' side science.

I am a law student in one of the federal universities.

But recently, I've flirted with physics enough to imagine how one would actually live in a world he knows next to nothing about.

Imagine an Apple falls on my head in the garden and the next thing I say is 'Thank Zeus, for plucking me the apple.'

I would love to learn physics and I'd love if you'd help me.

I bought a physics textbook already and I'm not foolish to think i wont have problems studying it.

Here i am. infact, here we are(I am certain quite a number of people here are in my shoes.)

I'd post problems as often i encounter them in the textbook.

cc Jonnydon22, tempaakguy, sirwere, thehomer, plaetton, Joseph1013, esukekereode.

You may be better off auditing classes or sitting down with physics students at your university.

Alternatively, you can teach yourself on khanacademy.org

1 Like

Re: Physics For The Non Science. by Brigance(m): 8:55pm On May 17, 2016
thehomer:

You may be better off auditing classes or sitting down with physics students at your university.

Alternatively, you can teach yourself on khanacademy.org

Thanks Broh. The link is noted.
Re: Physics For The Non Science. by Nobody: 12:57am On May 19, 2016
Brigance:

In order to understand mass, we need to understand WHY we need mass.

A few centuries ago, people noticed that it was harder to push some objects than others. i mean, if you go to a supermarket, and you have one of those trolleys, you'll notice that the more things you put into the basket, the harder it is to push.

So, people needed to find a quantity that could describe the ability of objects to do this. and so, they came up with mass. at first, mass was just the amount of resistance a body put up to a force. how much a body would push back if a force acted on it.

and then they found that that mass was actually the amount of elemental particles, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons(NOT ATOMS). it's just one of those co-incidences. trust me, there was a time that no one had any idea of why some objects had more mass than others. it was just another fact of nature they had to accept. just like we now have to accept that the speed of light is the limit. despite the fact that we have no Idea why.

Weight, on the other hand, is what happened when some guys decided to use Newton's force equation on gravity.

F = ma.

Weight is the force that a gravitational field exerts on a body. and since the gravitational force is proportional to mass, you can use it to guess what the mass is.

tell me, if you were in your kitchen, how do you know if a sugar cube is full without opening it?

simple, You just lift it. it's weight will register on your hand. because of the earth's gravity pulling it down.

But what if you were in space? Oh no . . . of course, all you have to do is shake it. a full sugar packet will resist motion more than an empty one will. and that's the mass registering.

Hopefully, I made sense.

1 Like

Re: Physics For The Non Science. by Brigance(m): 5:39am On May 19, 2016
Teempakguy:
In order to understand mass, we need to understand WHY we need mass.

A few centuries ago, people noticed that it was harder to push some objects than others. i mean, if you go to a supermarket, and you have one of those trolleys, you'll notice that the more things you put into the basket, the harder it is to push.

So, people needed to find a quantity that could describe the ability of objects to do this. and so, they came up with mass. at first, mass was just the amount of resistance a body put up to a force. how much a body would push back if a force acted on it.

and then they found that that mass was actually the amount of elemental particles, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons(NOT ATOMS). it's just one of those co-incidences. trust me, there was a time that no one had any idea of why some objects had more mass than others. it was just another fact of nature they had to accept. just like we now have to accept that the speed of light is the limit. despite the fact that we have no Idea why.

Weight, on the other hand, is what happened when some guys decided to use Newton's force equation on gravity.

F = ma.

Weight is the force that a gravitational field exerts on a body. and since the gravitational force is proportional to mass, you can use it to guess what the mass is.

tell me, if you were in your kitchen, how do you know if a sugar cube is full without opening it?

simple, You just lift it. it's weight will register on your hand. because of the earth's gravity pulling it down.

But what if you were in space? Oh no . . . of course, all you have to do is shake it. a full sugar packet will resist motion more than an empty one will. and that's the mass registering.

Hopefully, I made sense.

A lot of sense. Thanks.
Re: Physics For The Non Science. by Geofavor(m): 10:46am On May 19, 2016
Brigance:

MASS simply means particles. The mass of an object is the particles that make up the object. For example, your mass is everything that make up your physical self: from the hair on your head to the nails on your toes.

The weight is how heavy the mass (particles) of an object is. This is due to gravitational attraction: every body/object is being pulled to the center of the earth by gravity.

The more mass (particles) an object has, the more gravity pulls it. That is, the more weight it has.

This gravitational pull (weight), however, varies in magnitude from place to place. Your weight ( earthpull on you) here wouldn't be the same if you got near the center of the earth.

On the other hand, the mass of an object doesn't vary. For instance, if you have two biscuits here, take it to the moon if you like, it will still be two biscuits (not three, not four... not two and half).

Just my own little contribution. smiley

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Exploded Facebook Satellite Probably Hit By A Projectile / My Experience With Aliens / New Laptops At 50% Less Than Market Value!no Joke No Scam.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.