Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" (20369 Views)

District 9 Video? / Time Magazine's Depiction Of Nollywood / District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Anubis: 6:52pm On Aug 25, 2009
The Nigerians in the movie were scamming the Aliens. They sell them cat food in exchange for Alien weapons. They could not use the weapons but  their Juju priestess told them that they will gain the Aliens power by eating the Aliens
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:09pm On Aug 25, 2009
I havent seen tears in the sin. Did they use real Nigerians?
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by ogbronx(m): 7:35pm On Aug 25, 2009
An idiot almost turned this thread to naija versus SAs.RSA you dont seem to think very well.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by soloqy: 7:37pm On Aug 25, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

I havent seen tears in the sin. Did they use real  Nigerians?

They used a couple of Nigerians. I saw two igbo names at the movie ending credits.

At the end when they(the igbos) finally made it to the Camerounian border, some old lady was chanting in igbo.

Its Tears of the Sun, by the way : http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/tearsofthesun/index.html

Never mind what they wrote as the Synopsis(Conflict in Central africa). Its a movie that starts with a news story that a president(Igbo) was murdered(in Lagos) by some soldiers determined to wipe out his family and by extension, his tribe.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by redsun(m): 7:52pm On Aug 25, 2009
But the way we treat one another in ngeria and africa in general,especially the leaders against people is far worst than cannibalism because cannibalism in the true sense serves a purpose,to satisfy hunger but us,we just take d piss in being bad, we are more of sadists.

Judge urselves.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by shesi(m): 7:53pm On Aug 25, 2009
i quite enjoyed that movie. infact i might see it again.

i suppose if you set out with the notion that the producer is anti-nigerian, then you will find several parts of the movie to support your theory.

but if you just take the movie at face value, it's quite good. chilax ppl.

the director was making the movie for an international audience so he had to use themes foreigners would be familiar with. Nigerians are regarded in the west as the most notorious african group.

immigrants are usually the more crass under-world operators in any country. you see my point in the writers decision to make those characters nigerian. and the names and all. how many times have you seen a russian gangster named vladimir in a movie? why? cus vladimir is immediately thought of as a russian name.

seriously its just a movie. a sci-fi one at that. besides, it doesn't portray the south africans any better.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Kobojunkie: 8:00pm On Aug 25, 2009
So what? It is a movie? We have seen Arabs, Spaniards, Mexicans, Italians etc depicted in movies as terrorists. You don’t see the former soviet union countries wailing and crying foul when they are depicted as evil heartless men in movies, do you? Heck, most of em enjoy the movies. What is this one now?

By the way, any one see the seasons premier of MONK? It was DISGUSTING. The dude was yoruba and he butchered the language. I almost demanded my money back from the cable company for that attrocious acting of his. Imagine acting with MONK and giving us that !!! YUCK!!
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by soloqy: 8:06pm On Aug 25, 2009
shesi:

i quite enjoyed that movie. infact i might see it again.

i suppose if you set out with the notion that the producer is anti-nigerian, then you will find several parts of the movie to support your theory.

the director was making the movie for an international audience so he had to use themes foreigners would be familiar with. Nigerians are regarded in the west as the most notorious african group.

immigrants are usually the more crass under-world operators in any country. you see my point in the writers decision to make those characters nigerian. and the names and all. how many times have you seen a russian gangster named vladimir in a movie? why? cus vladimir is immediately thought of as a russian name.

seriously its just a movie. a sci-fi one at that. besides, it doesn't portray the south africans any better.

My points exactly. It just had to be Nigeria. Like I said earlier, when everyone is seeing us in a bad light, then its time to look inwards.

Then someone said I should go and preach elsewhere and not here .
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Borat1: 8:15pm On Aug 25, 2009
Relax people, relax
Same way you see an arab with a large beard and call him a suicide bomber. . .
Thats same way nigerians are labelled as fraudsters. Its "general knowledge" grin I dunno about cannibalism.
Plus i think SA has got an incredibly high crime rate. You're robbed (you lose your possesion), you're raped (you lose your dignity), you're infected (you start breeding death!) shocked
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:18pm On Aug 25, 2009
Kobojunkie:

So what? It is a movie? We have seen Arabs, Spaniards, Mexicans, Italians etc depicted in movies as terrorists. You don’t see the former soviet union countries wailing and crying foul when they are depicted as evil heartless men in movies, do you? Heck, most of em enjoy the movies. What is this one now?

Are you sure you live in the States? Til today Italians complain about the Sopranos. Russians also complain about constantly being looked on as being evil. Asians complain about only being seen as kung fu fighters. Everyone bloody complains and that's exactly what we're doing.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by shesi(m): 8:36pm On Aug 25, 2009
Are you sure you live in the States? Til today Italians complain about the Sopranos. Russians also complain about constantly being looked on as being evil. Asians complain about only being seen as kung fu fighters. Everyone bloody complains and that's exactly what we're doing.

Are you sure about that? i have certainly not heard any Italians complaining about Sopranos. Infact, quite the opposite. They love it. That pizza shop in Jersey that is depicted in the series is now a big tourist attraction.

if this district 9 movie was set in london, maybe the tunes would have been diff. it'd be more like our boys are running the show in london.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Pittbaby(f): 8:37pm On Aug 25, 2009
I dont neccesarily feel the producer was anti Nigerian. To be frank I dont care if he is anti human being, just felt that for such a horrible portrayal it was not neccesary to put any country or peoples name to it . they could just have been a gang of random bad people , why nigerians .

Now I have more stupid questions to answer from the ignorant, about Nigerians. At least tears in the sun was not a blockbuster , this is and now several dim witts who have never heard of Nigeria will start thinking that we are all Juju doing, fleshing eating , Machette carrying touts ( and for the one thats will say that it rings true, let me tell you that Nigerians are not the only ones who have this societal woes)
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by maedan(f): 8:54pm On Aug 25, 2009
Some people just don't get it. Okay, picture this: a talented Nigerian screenwriter writes a good movie about aliens. He gets some American producers and even their special effects/animation team to work with him on the movie. The storyline is great except, the major bad guys are racist bigots, child rapists and plagued by AIDS - and they are labelled South African. Oh yeah, and the leader of the bad guys' name is Nelson Mandela - ok, sorry, Thabo Mbeki.

The South African watch this movie when it comes out as a blockbuster. And when they find out they're the main people who've been depicted as racist, child-raping, AIDS-infested/spreading assholes, they just laugh it off as a good joke. It's only a stupid movie, right?? Wrong.

There's a big difference between stereotyping for the sake of movie creativity: yeah, Italians are the mafia dons, Iranians are the terrorists, and Americans are the smooth criminals - and then directly making a people/nation the direct object of ridicule and disgust. It's just too obvious to be ignored, and too deeply-cut to just be brushed aside with, "chill out people, it's just a movie". Let's keep this up, and then everyone will soon start taking pot shots at us as a people. And one day, you'll be too ashamed to answer to the nationality "Nigerian."

And get this: we don't just hate the movie. We hate the way in which we were portrayed.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by morpheus24: 8:57pm On Aug 25, 2009
@ poster

The movie was obviously a SATIRE at events that have taken place in the past and currently transpiring in South Africa over the past couple of years i.e District six saga,immigration, foreigners, illegal aliens, xenophobia and crime.

Substitute the "Aliens" for the "zimbabweans,mozambicans or other illegal aliens and you should get it.

Nigerians are actually portrayed accurately in this movies in terms of the scale of reference.
They are able to manipulate these slum areas to their advantage.

The sad part is some SA's don't even realize that the writer of this movie is actuallly depicting the xenophobic nature of South Africans in general

Please see the preview again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6PDlMggROA
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by blackspade(m): 8:59pm On Aug 25, 2009
Meh, the worldwide perception of blondes won't be changing soon, so don't expect the perception of Nigerians too either.

I've heard most Nigerians in SA are bad news anyways, so why is this surprising??
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Beaf: 9:00pm On Aug 25, 2009
what do you expect?

When we have Mend and other Militants causing havoc in the Niger delta, Criminals and mammon worshippers kidnapping people for ransome in the east(exported from Naija delta), Crazy and blood thirsty jihadists raping , looting and killing in the north as Boko Haramists. It seems the only remaining sane area is the south west.

No really, what do you expect?

Ignorance or foolishness.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by hilli666(m): 9:06pm On Aug 25, 2009
Im licking my Lips waiting to eat sombody right now. I'm hungry. grin grin grin angry
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by ocelot2006(m): 9:11pm On Aug 25, 2009
Well, I watched DISTRICT 9. And I have to say that it's the VERY BEST action sc-fi movie for the year 2009. And it's rating among critics all around has been very high. Regardless of what we may all think about the movie and were it was shot, I have to give kudos to the director for his creativity and the excellent storyline. I agree that I was a bit upset about them portraying Nigerians wrongly, but I just laughed over it.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by morpheus24: 9:15pm On Aug 25, 2009
ocelot2006:

Well, I watched DISTRICT 9. And I have to say that it's the VERY BEST action sc-fi movie for the year 2009. And it's rating among critics all around has been very high. Regardless of what we may all think about the movie and were it was shot, I have to give kudos to the director for his creativity and the excellent storyline. I agree that I was a bit upset about them portraying Nigerians wrongly, but I just laughed over it.

I was looking forward to this movie but in the end gave the movie a resounding C+, not because of anthing to do with the Nigerians but for me the story was too obvious, it lacked a lot of direction, had no thrill to it, really nothing to write home about.

The special effect was all that was about good for me.

i think we hav ejsut become really numb to al the hollywood hogwash coming out that anything that deviates from the status quo looks really good.

Not for me though
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:32pm On Aug 25, 2009
shesi:

Are you sure about that? i have certainly not heard any Italians complaining about Sopranos. Infact, quite the opposite. They love it. That pizza shop in Jersey that is depicted in the series is now a big tourist attraction.

Um they have been complaining about their protryal as gansgsters since Goodfellas. Alot complained heavily about Sopranos. The only ones who dont are guidos and most Italians dont even consider them to be Italians so they dont count
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:37pm On Aug 25, 2009
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by jackdaniel(m): 11:03pm On Aug 25, 2009
Why all the ranting, it's just a movie, a brilliant movie, a movie of pure genius. grin  The pain and outrage may be due to our internal guilt. The sad part  is, that we cannot defend the accusations laid before the "nigerian gangs". Ranting and whining is the typical 9nger self-defence mechanism of always living in a lie (e.g my 26 yr old daughter is still a virgin mentality; albeit she in reality, is a D and C honorary member  embarassed).
  Tell me, which of you can comfortably say that 9ger criminals and prostitutes are not capable of doing those stuff? In 9ger our leaders are corrupt, diabolic, etc. Our children are cultist, armed robbers , militants, kidnappers et al, our daughters are prostitutes all over the world; and least i 4get we re-branded  the words fraud and scam, In the midst of all these scums of the earth we still have good and decent 9gerians, for these few i'm forever grateful,  so please stop the nagging people, it's high time we stop living in lies.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by eddykayan: 11:22pm On Aug 25, 2009
All d cannibals wey dey eat una money for ninja don finish, i no blame za as our own people also act for the film.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by jamifa(m): 11:26pm On Aug 25, 2009
This is just  a waste of time. When are we going to stop been stereotypical about everything. If its racist so what, racism is everywhere. I live abroad and experience it every day, get used to it, we who live abroad are getting used to it. There is nothing anyone can do about it. Truth is we all are racist in our own little ways. Besides its just a movie, the directors will not deliberately depict any grp of pple as racists but even if he does, he is just been ignorant - thats how I see all racists. LEts all  think past little shenanigans such as these. smiley
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:31pm On Aug 25, 2009
jackdaniel:

Ranting and whining is the typical 9nger self-defense mechanism of always living in a lie (e.g my 26 yr old daughter is still a virgin mentality; albeit she in reality, is a D and C honorary member  embarassed).

what does this mean?
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by fayahsoul: 11:35pm On Aug 25, 2009
Buhahahaha. . .you nigerians don't get it do u? The wrath of the most high is upon thee. lol.

Call an obese idiot fat and they too will get upset. what a joke. u nigerians think you can go fooling around and misbehaving and not bear the consequences, well think again.

No insult no result!

Complaining that our women were potray having sex with aliens as if these perm loving self-hating twats won't lick sore wounds and eat shit for money. Wetin dem dey do for europe? and even right there in south africa? Roflmao!

One idiot is even calling obusonjo/obasanjo a prominient nigerian. . .lmao! that insenstuous wicked tribalistic wowolistic beast is a prominient nigerian? well of course he is and that's why nigeria will suffer the same fate as sodom and gomorah. Damn devils. . .i curse thee.

You efulefus have 2 choices:

1) hold on to your nigerian identity and bear the burden of global scorn and ridicule or

2) let go, disintegrate that fradulent contraption and set afurakans free while your dignity is restored.

The freaking chioce is yours.

As for yours truely, all i can say is: nna men the thing dikwa vely selious. . .nna were my biaflan passport
?
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by maedan(f): 12:07am On Aug 26, 2009
^^^^Now this is one alien I would gladly roast on a grill---but not for my own consumption lipsrsealed. No, I'll feed him to my alien-eating Nigerian dog, cos that's all the alien fit for. Imagine the gall. Unlike some people, we wish to uphold our integrity, and refused to be condemned to a negative outlook for the rest of our existence. Every nation has the right to learn from their mistakes and grow - but how can we when one movie or the other decides to pick us as the African scapegoat? Is it that they envy us our inherent potential to be good, and great? What ever. I just think the depiction itself was a cheap shot, and the producers of the movie should be rightly ashamed. But this is just my opinion. Every one else is welcome to theirs, however shitty I might think it is.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by sojioguns(m): 12:22am On Aug 26, 2009
The director of the movei (Blomkamp) gerw up in RSA and he has every right to prortray Nigerians the way he feels and I am sure there is a disclaimer for the movie saying characters are fictitious. From an interview with him (the director), he said when he was growing up, there were Nigerians in his neighbourhood that were very similar to the characters in his movie. If you don't like it then produce your own movie and portray South African as whatever you like.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by chiogo(f): 12:38am On Aug 26, 2009
Hehehe, the mad man is in town.

@topic, haven't seen the movie but it's nothing new. undecided same negative depiction in "phat girls" albeit that was a low-budget one. so who cares?
People would always try to make themselves feel better by degrading others.
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by Seun(m): 12:53am On Aug 26, 2009
The depiction in "phat girls".
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by chiogo(f): 12:55am On Aug 26, 2009
Seun:

The depiction in "phat girls".
what's your point? tongue
Re: Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" by jackdaniel(m): 12:55am On Aug 26, 2009

what does this mean?

@ThiefOfHearts=>   How old r u? grin,  i can't believe a thief-of -hearts doesn't know what D&C means. grin, D&C= Dilation and curettage a.k.a. abortion.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Uriel Wants Ilebaye To Win BBNaija All Stars Grand Prize / My First Time In A Cinema / Why Do Most Guys Watch Cartoon?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.