Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,152 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:32 AM

Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian (11418 Views)

The Hard Truth About Your Salary / What Is The Average Salary Of A Nigerian Soldier? / Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by Jemmie: 12:59pm On Aug 17, 2009
Talking of salaries, no amount is enough to sustain an average salary earner.

Who is an average salary earner? Can you imagine. Salaries are paid according to either ones academic records, experience or both. Most organizations do not follow the salary scheme and as such it affects the employees.

However, some Nigerians do not have enough qualification and experience in order to earn what they are supposed to be earning at that stage in life. Again, some Nigerians have every qualifications and experience needed to acquire a particular job but because the jobs are either not available or that the positions have been filled with the so-called socialites/politicians' families who do not have 1/2 the needed qualifications required.

Things are very expensive in the market - thanks to the Federal Government. As the government claim to improve the standard of living of its subjects it stylishly destroys them knowingly or unknowingly after adding a few pennies to their salaries. Everything goes up in the market; edible, domestic things, etc. Transportation and every other means of having a better living get so expensive that they become luxuries for some people.
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by schmuck(m): 2:07pm On Aug 17, 2009
Earning salary is living a life of a slave, no matter how much you are earning.

Salary earners do not often know this fact or fails to accept the truth of it.

There is nothing like working for yourself.

That is when you can say you are truly living.

I am a testimony because I have tasted the two facets of life.

God help us.
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by Jemmie: 3:16pm On Aug 17, 2009
Hmm, my brother, a big amen to that.

I do both - self-employed and an employee somewhere- but still it is not easy. My granmother use to say, no one eat two things in mecca' (translated). I guess what she meant was that you cant combine or do 2 things at a time; 1 stitch at a time. Buttressing her saying; I went to 2 higher institutions almost at the same time; polytechnic and a university. I didnt like both results but 1 is fairer. Am improving myself in all areas.

I was in poly when my admission came for the uni. I got a course I actually wanted to study in the uni and I was happy. i was advised not to drop the poly but at the end of the day, the result was poor. Could be as a result of the distance- lagos and ogun or that i was always sick-am not a sickler ooo or that the university system did not bother about the welfare of the students; missing results, assaults, distant relationship between lecturers and students, etc

Right now I work with an international institution where I used to like the job but not the pay. Now the pay is better but the job is something else-i have no interest in it anymore. Yet the pay can not carry me on. Imagine that.
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by kokoA(m): 5:09pm On Aug 17, 2009
400,000 naira undecided
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by Seun(m): 7:31pm On Aug 17, 2009
Average cost of living varies depending on where you live. 
A Nigerian can survive on any amount!
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by Nobody: 9:44pm On Aug 17, 2009
I guess the first question is:

Who is an average Nigerian?
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by Nobody: 1:48pm On Aug 19, 2009
Seun:

Average cost of living varies depending on where you live. 
A Nigerian can survive on any amount!

Wrong!

1 Like

Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by manikki(f): 3:02pm On Aug 24, 2009

God help us.

This is absolutely wrong! There peeps who earn very good cash, much more than lots of ENTREPRENEURS earn. The problem is wit d spending practices of pple, this is also true bout entrepreneurs.
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by MUZBO(m): 11:01am On Aug 25, 2009
You should earn according to your skill, locale etc. It should be flexible.
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by tkb417(m): 11:23am On Aug 25, 2009
an average 9ja man will live where rent isnt prohibitive i guess and will have access to a local mkt. Not shoprite and stuffs

with 250k per month, such individual will be fine.
im assuming the wife/husband will be working and earning like 150k per month so a combined earnings of 400k monthly will be fine for the family (my assumption)

when kids start coming, they shld be thinking of hw to earn extra income to cater for the new additions to the family

personal opinion.
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by dipo2much(m): 11:29am On Aug 25, 2009
To the one who is talkin of working for yourself. You make it sound like its easy. How many businesses can one do do bring in at leats 200,000 each month and wont need electricity supply. The government in nigeria is killing dreams everyday.
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by Ben13: 11:32am On Aug 25, 2009
manikki:

God help us.

Everybody cannot work for themselves. It's just impossible.
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by kufreabasi(m): 11:35am On Aug 25, 2009
Well in Nigeria of nowaday, everybody has his or her measure of life when it come to salary.
salary today doesn't buy you anything but better planning place you in a better  position.
Now, people dont depend on white kola job any longer but that which will make you a boss of your own.
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by Nobody: 11:45am On Aug 25, 2009
It all depends on the individual's spending principles,
i am really not extravagant and i recieve less than 120K, to me its ok, but wouldnt mind an increase.

For those who do personal business, its alot headache when you think of Diesel,tax, labourers, material,labour market, competitors.

May God help us all to be able to put food on our table
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by tkb417(m): 11:53am On Aug 25, 2009

God help us
brainwasher!

let us rest
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by iz2much: 12:00pm On Aug 25, 2009
i think i cant realy say, just pay the tithe of the little u earn then God will bless u
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by Nobody: 12:07pm On Aug 25, 2009
This is a good topic.

I work with a bank andmy take home can at least take me home and back to work and still leave some change for the road but its a known and proven fact that you can never be truly rich working for someone else. However, not everyone is cut out to be an entrepreneur and not everyone is cut out to be an employee. I think I fall in the latter category but for now I'll just make the best of what I get from what I do.
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by aquita(m): 12:16pm On Aug 25, 2009
I don`t think there is any specific amount that will be enough to sustain an average Nigerian. The amount that can sustain a person depends on the following factors :

1. Cost of living in the locality the person is based in (for instance, accomodation is cheaper in Ibadan than Abuja)

2. His personal taste

3. The number of dependants he has

4. The kind of habits he has (like smoking, drinking, gambling etc)

5. How thrifty the person is i.e someone that can really economise

However, if I must name a figure, N50,000 monthly should be okay for someone without dependants.
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by Naila: 12:38pm On Aug 25, 2009
Dappssee you are right. There was a time I earn as low as 1500 monthly. I still survive and have some savings though very little. But presently working as a banker and the huge pay so to say compared to the former, one still find it difficult to save. This simply buttress the fact that "more money more problems".
In my opinion, one has to make the best use of what he gets and plan for the future…
Be you an employee or self employed seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness every other thing will be added unto you…
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by otokx(m): 12:42pm On Aug 25, 2009
Am working in the federal civil service with entry level of BSc and its 50 000 per month am paid for the past 2 years now. Man dey find wife with that pay and children go come shey?
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by agitator: 12:48pm On Aug 25, 2009
Jemmie:

Things are very expensive in the market - thanks to the Federal Government. As the government claim to improve the standard of living of its subjects it stylishly destroys them knowingly or unknowingly after adding a few pennies to their salaries. Everything goes up in the market; edible, domestic things, etc. Transportation and every other means of having a better living get so expensive that they become luxuries for some people.

This is quite sad but it is the truth, before adding the pennies they will make much noise and will want praises for taking care of the workers
schmuck:

Salary earners do not often know this fact or fails to accept the truth of it. There is nothing like working for yourself.
That is when you can say you are truly living. I am a testimony because I have tasted the two facets of life. God help us.

Everybody can not be self employed.

tkb417:

with 250k per month, such individual will be fine.
im assuming the wife/husband will be working and earning like 150k per month so a combined earnings of 400k monthly will be fine for the family (my assumption)

when kids start coming, they shld be thinking of hw to earn extra income to cater for the new additions to the family

personal opinion.

Population of nigeria is approximately 140M.  How many nigerian jobs pay, up to 150k/Month? Approximately less than 10M what will the rest do, remember majority salary  earners receive less than 30K/month (70% ofgovernment employees).
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by adaku123(f): 12:54pm On Aug 25, 2009
A friend would like to know wat you think the average salary for a graduate 1.1 Hons biomedical engineering and distinction in Masters public health ,  BEng is from KCL london and the MPH from Nottingham!! Any ideas
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by stanloski(m): 1:16pm On Aug 25, 2009
Jemmie:

Hmm, my brother, a big amen to that.

I do both - self-employed and an employee somewhere- but still it is not easy. My granmother use to say, no one eat two things in mecca' (translated). I guess what she meant was that you cant combine or do 2 things at a time; 1 stitch at a time. Buttressing her saying; I went to 2 higher institutions almost at the same time; polytechnic and a university. I didnt like both results but 1 is fairer. Am improving myself in all areas.

I was in poly when my admission came for the uni. I got a course I actually wanted to study in the uni and I was happy. i was advised not to drop the poly but at the end of the day, the result was poor. Could be as a result of the distance- lagos and ogun or that i was always sick-am not a sickler ooo or that the university system did not bother about the welfare of the students; missing results, assaults, distant relationship between lecturers and students, etc

Right now I work with an international institution where I used to like the job but not the pay. Now the pay is better but the job is something else-i have no interest in it anymore. Yet the pay can not carry me on. Imagine that.

The problem with being an employee is that its a short term solution to a long term problem, you dont have control over your income level (increasing it at your discretion, it cant be sold or inherited. You have no control over your time (your most valuable asset) and inflation is working against you.

More important you do not enjoy the benefits of leverage, exponential growth and the potential for residual income. If anybody is engaged in the money game without these three factors (LEVERAGE, EXPONENTIAL GROWTH AND RESIDUAL INCOME) That person will struggle! So its not a question of how much money you make but HOW YOU MAKE MONEY!

I can show you how to start enjoying the above three key things if you are interested. You may contact me on akpoefe@yahoo.com.

Much Respect and Admiration.
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by akym(m): 1:28pm On Aug 25, 2009
It all depends on the individual's spending principles be it salary earnal or entrepreneurship but in my own point of view i think 60/70k can sustain an averrage Nig.
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by bodsibobo(m): 1:38pm On Aug 25, 2009
No guys, don't let us get all this wrong. This same question has been coming to my mind for some time now. I currently live outside Nigeria but I have started thinking of returning home. My question is:

Forget whether you earn 5ok per month, or 100k per month, or 500k or 1m, What is the barest minimum one can survive on in present Naija (Especially Lagos). You can always save whetever extra you have or earn, but what is the basic cost of living per month or better still - per week.

I.e you've paid your rent two/three/five years in advance or you've built your own house; and you have a brand new car. (Something basic) What is the minimum you can survive on say fuelling, feeding, clothing, groceries, etc. Please do not add tithes, offerings, alms, spraying at parties, or pepper soup money here o!

I'd appreciate a very reasonably honest answer please.

Thanks.
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by Positivity(m): 1:40pm On Aug 25, 2009
:-x :-x
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by Nobody: 2:13pm On Aug 25, 2009
adaku123:

A friend would like to know wat you think the average salary for a graduate 1.1 Hons biomedical engineering and distinction in Masters public health ,  BEng is from KCL london and the MPH from Nottingham!! Any ideas

Tell her to employ herself.
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by adaku123(f): 2:25pm On Aug 25, 2009
ferdiii:

Tell her to employ herself.
WHY!!! WE DONT UNDERSTAND!!! pLS eXPLAIN
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by stalliontp(m): 2:27pm On Aug 25, 2009
it's all relative, depends on the individual and the location.
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by stalliontp(m): 2:32pm On Aug 25, 2009
adaku123:

i guess average salary will be what is paid whereever he/she decides to work, if it's in Nigeria then , it will be what is paid in Nigeria and if it's in the U.K, then it would be what the going pay for such is. If he seeks jobs in Nigeria , he may have a competitive edge because he studied abroad but i think that's all to it. In the U.S, he gets between $65K to $90K for his Masters.
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by adaku123(f): 2:51pm On Aug 25, 2009
stalliontp:

i guess average salary will be what is paid whereever he/she decides to work, if it's in Nigeria then , it will be what is paid in Nigeria and if it's in the U.K, then it would be what the going pay for such is. If he seeks jobs in Nigeria , he may have a competitive edge because he studied abroad but i think that's all to it. In the U.S, he gets between $65K to $90K for his Masters.
He is moving to 9ja in december and he is currently completing a MA in business administration!!! So an idea of the amount he could be paid in 9ja would be great!!!
Re: Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian by otokx(m): 2:56pm On Aug 25, 2009
@Adaku123

That your guy started in biomedical engineering then moved to public health and finally he is entering business administration. Which area does he want to specialize in? Public health looks more like it but he should try and get a PhD over there before coming here.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What NLC Should Do After Criminal Violence Against MTN / What Is The Job Description Of A Compliance Officer In A Bank? / Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.