Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,351 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:09 AM

Pre-biafra War: Obafemi Awolowo’s Speech To Western Leaders Of Thought (pic). - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pre-biafra War: Obafemi Awolowo’s Speech To Western Leaders Of Thought (pic). (794 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu Not A South East Leader Of Thought- Presidency / Hief Awolowo’s Speech To Western Leaders Of Thought In Ibadan On MAY 1 1967 / Pre-biafra War: Obafemi Awolowo’s Speech To Western Nigeria Leaders Of Thought (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pre-biafra War: Obafemi Awolowo’s Speech To Western Leaders Of Thought (pic). by yahrant140(m): 8:24pm On May 16, 2016
The aim of a leader should be the welfare of the people whom he leads. I have used ‘welfare’ to denote the physical, mental and spiritual well-being of the people. With this aim fixed unflinchingly and unchangeably before my eyes I consider it my duty to Yoruba people in particular and to Nigerians in general, to place four imperatives before you this morning. Two of them are categorical and two are conditional. Only a peaceful solution must be found to arrest the present worsening stalemate and restore normalcy. The Eastern Region must be encouraged to remain part of the Federation. If the Eastern Region is allowed by acts of omission or commission to secede from or opt out of Nigeria, then the Western Region and Lagos must also stay out of the Federation. The people of Western Nigeria and Lagos should participate in the ad hoc committee or any similar body only on the basis of absolute equality with the other regions of the Federation.
I would like to comment briefly on these four imperatives. There has, of late, been a good deal of sabre rattling in some parts of the country. Those who advocate the use force for the settlement of our present problems should stop a little and reflect. I can see no vital and abiding principle involved in any war between the North and the East. If the East attacked the North, it would be for purpose of revenge pure and simple. Any claim to the contrary would be untenable. If it is claimed that such a war is being waged for the purpose of recovering the real and personal properties left behind in the North by Easterners two insuperable points are obvious. Firstly, the personal effects left behind by Easterners have been wholly looted or destroyed, and can no longer be physically recovered. Secondly, since the real properties are immovable in case of recovery of them can only be by means of forcible military occupation of those parts of the North in which these properties are situated. On the other hand, if the North attacked the East, it could only be for the purpose of further strengthening and entrenching its position of dominance in the country.
If it is claimed that an attack on the East is going to be launched by the Federal Government and not by the North as such and that it is designed to ensure the unity and integrity of the Federation, two other insuperable points also become obvious. First, if a war against the East becomes a necessity it must be agreed to unanimously by the remaining units of the Federation. In this connection, the West, Mid- West and Lagos have declared their implacable opposition to the use of force in solving the present problem. In the face of such declarations by three out of remaining four territories of Nigeria, a war against the East could only be a war favoured by the North alone. Second, if the true purpose of such a war is to preserve the unity and integrity of the Federation, then these ends can be achieved by the very simple devices of implementing the recommendation of the committee which met on August 9 1966, as reaffirmed by a decision of the military leaders at Aburi on January 5 1967 as well as by accepting such of the demands of the East, West, Mid-West and Lagos as are manifestly reasonable, and essential for assuring harmonious relationships and peaceful co-existence between them and their brothers and sisters in the North.

http://www.uhurutimes.com/pre-biafra-war-obafemi-awolowos-speech-to-western-nigeria-leaders-of-thought/

1 Like

Re: Pre-biafra War: Obafemi Awolowo’s Speech To Western Leaders Of Thought (pic). by yahrant140(m): 8:27pm On May 16, 2016
"Words of wisdom" from a great leader.......

RIP sir!

1 Like

Re: Pre-biafra War: Obafemi Awolowo’s Speech To Western Leaders Of Thought (pic). by lifezone247(m): 8:27pm On May 16, 2016
A word is enough for the wise.

1 Like

Re: Pre-biafra War: Obafemi Awolowo’s Speech To Western Leaders Of Thought (pic). by STFUand4kMeHARD(m): 8:40pm On May 16, 2016
There was a zoo grin
Re: Pre-biafra War: Obafemi Awolowo’s Speech To Western Leaders Of Thought (pic). by GuyfawkesAB(m): 9:28pm On May 16, 2016
To think that for so long, people have learnt to always quote the part about allowing the East to opt out by acts of omission or commission.... out of context.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Meet The Most Patriotic Nigerian. No Picture Attached / Niger Delta Avengers Accuse Oshiomhole, Sylva Of Sponsoring MEND / Pls Excuse Me!! Am I Missing Something??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.