Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,100 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:11 AM

Present House Majority Leader's Message To GEJ Concerning The Increase Of Petrol - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Present House Majority Leader's Message To GEJ Concerning The Increase Of Petrol (1054 Views)

PMB Will Not Hand Over To Igbo The Way North Stupidly Handed Over To GEJ- Junaid / Present House Majority Leader's Message To GEJ Concerning The Increase Of Petrol / Before You Condemn PMB And Praise GEJ Concerning Fuel Scarcity, Note This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Present House Majority Leader's Message To GEJ Concerning The Increase Of Petrol by Nobody: 10:34pm On May 16, 2016
I am assuming that even if not de jure, you have de facto assumed the powers and functions of the office of the president since the law and nature abhor a vacuum, if my assumption is correct, let me delve straight into the subject of my letter to you.
The Federal Government of Nigeria, it appears, is totally committed to the deregulation of the oil sector. Were deregulation in the best interest of Nigeria and the people of Nigeria I would have not opposed it. Unfortunately I find the policy totally anti-people on many fronts and place my opposition to it on record.

Contrary to the impression the government has strenuously tried to create, subsidy is not necessarily a bad thing particularly if it is the only thing a government can give back to its people for the protection of their welfare, and maintenance of their already pitiful standard of living.
The notion that the cost of a product that is produced in one’s own backyard should be based on the cost of importation offends the sensibilities of most Nigerians. Deregulation as an economic term can in and of itself be a good thing, however in the context it is being employed in today’s oil sector reform means simply relaxing the controls on the importation of fuel. Why must we import what we have? That is the real question that government has been unable to answer satisfactorily. Why in the name of anything and everything you believe in are our refineries not working? Why must we import our own products? It beats me hollow Mr. Acting President, beats me hollow.
I have also heard the argument that under the current set up there is a cabal that is milking the country and benefitting from the present arrangement. Now Mr. Acting President, are you telling Nigerians that with everything at its disposal this government does not have the will, intellect or capacity to weed out this phantom cabal and cut them to size? Now for argument’s sake let’s assume your government says it cannot, then why can’t we just simply balance the equities? Do we have to punish the rest of Nigeria (95 per cent) for the sins of at best a 5 per cent cabal? Many Nigerians will tell you commonsense says let them continue with their plundering activities if trying to stop them would mean destroying the lives of the rest of your people. Common sense, that’s all it is.

Mr. Acting President I am sure you know our economy is a mono economy, driven and dependent almost solely on our oil revenue and consequently, the removal of subsidy or increase in fuel price will as of necessity cause hyper inflation and an increase in every product or services in Nigeria. Even your CBN Governor said as much.
Mr. Acting President together with Mr. President, you have made security of lives and property part of your agenda, and quite rightly so as this is enshrined in section 14 of the constitution which declares that the security and the welfare of the people shall be the primary purpose of government. Well, sir, I have news for you. There is a direct correlation between poverty and crime. The more abject the poverty, the higher the crime rate. Studies over the years have established this fact. What do I mean? When you deregulate, remove subsidy and consequently increase fuel prices, because of our mono economy, everything whether goods or services goes up. As a result the standard of living falls whilst the cost of living goes up. Like night follows day, crime rate increase. For every thesis and anti-thesis there is a synthesis and there goes a critical part of your seven-point agenda and section 14 of the constitution which you swore to uphold! I know, I know, you never saw it like that. Well here’s an opportunity to avoid such a consequence.
In my opinion Mr. President, it is very doubtful that you can constitutionally deregulate and hand over the petroleum industry to the private sector. I am not arguing the merits or demerits of this privatisation policy, I only speak to its constitutionality. Why, you ask? The 1999 constitution in section 16 (1) states:
a). The state shall, within the context of the ideals and objectives for which provisions are made in this constitution.

b) Control the national economy in such a manner as to secure the MAXIMUM (emphasis mine) welfare, freedom and happiness of every citizen.

c) Without prejudice to its right to operate in areas of the economy, MANAGE and OPERATE the MAJOR (emphasis mine) sectors of the economy.

These two provisions appear in spirit and in letter to render the deregulation of the petroleum sector unconstitutional.

Source: http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/05/16/deregulation-a-common-sense-approach/
Re: Present House Majority Leader's Message To GEJ Concerning The Increase Of Petrol by nigeriafilm(m): 11:29pm On May 16, 2016
Today, he is faced with the sad reality of returning to his vomit. The evil that men do lives with them.

5 Likes

Re: Present House Majority Leader's Message To GEJ Concerning The Increase Of Petrol by Twist4u: 11:38pm On May 16, 2016
Karma law is a bitch.
Re: Present House Majority Leader's Message To GEJ Concerning The Increase Of Petrol by Twist4u: 11:39pm On May 16, 2016
Karma law is an ass
Re: Present House Majority Leader's Message To GEJ Concerning The Increase Of Petrol by ekefre4(m): 11:50pm On May 16, 2016
Re: Present House Majority Leader's Message To GEJ Concerning The Increase Of Petrol by seunlayi(m): 2:33am On May 17, 2016
How will the history of Nigeria describe all this hypocrites in the nearest future?

4 Likes

Re: Present House Majority Leader's Message To GEJ Concerning The Increase Of Petrol by chriskosherbal(m): 3:11am On May 17, 2016
Okay oo
Re: Present House Majority Leader's Message To GEJ Concerning The Increase Of Petrol by Standing5(m): 3:20am On May 17, 2016
Trash argument by the wailers.
GEJ was clearly weak n corrupt. Even state governor didn't want FG handling so much money. The DasukiGate of today proves the cabal were known to GEJ and so Nigerians were right about rejecting his subsidy removal. Where are the SURE-P fruits? It proves ineffeciency was allround under the last admin.
Re: Present House Majority Leader's Message To GEJ Concerning The Increase Of Petrol by amInigerian: 3:31am On May 17, 2016
[size=13pt]What do you mean they did not want him handling so much money? What nonsense? The money was already govt money under government ownership. Instead for saving it, you protested for it to be continually given it to the cabal. That is all you did. Or cant you see that? You protested that govt money be perpetually given to the cabal

Scenario 1). Govt money stays with govt == They may or not use it well in providing roads, healthcare, scholarships, etc.

Scenario 2). The money gets paid to the cabal == Money is gone forever into house in Dubai, houses in London, houses in New York, refineries and other business abroad, swiss bank accounts, American bank accounts, London Bank accounts, Panama company etc

So you don't yet know what you did in 2012 eh?
[/size]
Re: Present House Majority Leader's Message To GEJ Concerning The Increase Of Petrol by M4gunners: 3:45am On May 17, 2016
Medicine after death.
Re: Present House Majority Leader's Message To GEJ Concerning The Increase Of Petrol by Nobody: 3:00pm On May 17, 2016
Standing5:
Trash argument by the wailers.
GEJ was clearly weak n corrupt. Even state governor didn't want FG handling so much money. The DasukiGate of today proves the cabal were known to GEJ and so Nigerians were right about rejecting his subsidy removal. Where are the SURE-P fruits? It proves ineffeciency was allround under the last admin.

GEJ was weak and corrupt even when he was acting president? You twist facts and logic to suit your views. Whatever political divide we stand doesn't mean our patriotism should be eroded for partisan politics.

(1) (Reply)

Apc Chibok Lies Busted / Buhari’s Anti-corruption Adviser Steps Down After PREMIUM TIMES’ Story / Sokoto State Partners Italy In Leather Production

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.