Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,527 members, 7,826,980 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

Subsidy Removal A Mistake; APC Did Not See The Bigger Picture Subsidy Offered - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy Removal A Mistake; APC Did Not See The Bigger Picture Subsidy Offered (506 Views)

What APC Did To Abuse GEJ - Reno Omokri Shares Throwback Photos / Fuel Subsidy Removal: A Good Decision Taken Too Late / Subsidy Removal: A Thread For Occupy Nigeria Season 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Subsidy Removal A Mistake; APC Did Not See The Bigger Picture Subsidy Offered by jbichene(m): 1:48pm On May 18, 2016
Most people will just look at the whole GEJ's subsidy plan and dismiss it as being unreasonable, but a closer look will show you that the whole subsidy thing would have transformed Nigeria's Economy positively for the following reason;
-subsidy helped Nigeria provide fuel at an affordable price to Nigerian businesses.

subsidy helped private owned businesses in Nigeria survive by providing affordable source of energy and reducing the cost logistic operations; SME's (small and medium scale enterprises) are the backb one of a countries economical growth and unfortunately the suffer most in cases of bad government economical policies ,their survival heavily depends on cost of operation , cost of operation which also revolves around cost of energy and transportation. privately generated energy is now the only dependable source of energy in Nigeria, therefore affordable source of energy depends on the cost of fuel which means for SMEs to survive in Nigeria fuel prices have to be affordable at least.

-The bigger picture with subsidy

The bigger picture with subsidy was that economical growth and a higher GDP will compensate the heavy cost of fuel importation as government will also receive better taxes which will augment government expenditure on importation of fuel.

Removal of subsidy
to be sincere i have tried to think or look for a reasonable reason for subsidy removal ,but all i found was a government with pride and ego issues as the reason , the refineries now running could not have achieved more jobs creation than the SMEs would have.
secondly income generated from government run refineries have little effect on our economical development . so if possible it i will like somebody to give me reasonable ideas on why subsidy was removed and its positive effect on our economy.
Re: Subsidy Removal A Mistake; APC Did Not See The Bigger Picture Subsidy Offered by Boss13: 1:57pm On May 18, 2016
My brother, you talk true. Things are only going to get worse. I was amazed at how much I spent to buy fuel. Disposable income has reduced, whether we like it or not. Add, the further increment from other commodities, especially essential commodities or services. Businesses will be affected, some may not be able to compete and may close and hence increase the unemployment rate.

I stand with Buhari, but WE NEED TO SCREAM NOW AND SAY NO TO SUBSIDY REMOVAL.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News: Release Kanu In Seven Days On Nigeria Sinks / Gun Men Abduct APC Chairman And Secretary In Kwara State / Day 4: NLC -TUC Strike Updates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.