Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,764 members, 7,809,941 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:34 PM

Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) (4535 Views)

I Am Confused: Christianity Or Islam? / Nigerian Catholics Begin Rosary Challenge Live On Instagram / Christianity Or Islam Which Religion First Existed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by Sheenor: 4:06pm On May 18, 2016
I need answer to this please. Google seems to be of no help to me. Between the Catholic Rosary and the Islamic prayer beeds which one of them came first. i.e Who start using it. I know they are two different things, but I want to know the idea behind it. Thanks..
Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by johnydon22(m): 4:09pm On May 18, 2016
Hinduism praying beads actually came first

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by Sheenor: 4:52pm On May 18, 2016
Okay.... How about that of Catholic and Islam? Which came first??
Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by annunaki2(m): 9:28am On May 19, 2016
Sheenor:

The roman catholic church predates islam by over 500 years. smiley that should give you a hint.

1 Like

Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by Sheenor: 2:08pm On May 19, 2016
annunaki2:

The roman catholic church predates islam by over 500 years. smiley that should give you a hint.

Yeah! that's right, it's obvious islam copy the Roman Catholic Church on this.. What a religion. Smh.....

1 Like

Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by ValentineMary(m): 3:14pm On May 19, 2016
Sheenor:
I need answer to this please. Google seems to be of no help to me. Between the Catholic Rosary and the Islamic prayer beeds which one of them came first. i.e Who start using it. I know they are two different things, but I want to know the idea behind it. Thanks..
Actually I think the islamic beads came first. The catholic rosary started in the year 1214 at Toulouse in France when St Dominic claimed the virgin Mary appeared to him. But the Islamic beads has been used since the time of Mohammed (64 A.D) though then it was disjoint pebbles used to recite the 99 attributes of Allah
Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by Anas09: 3:25pm On May 19, 2016
johnydon22:
Hinduism praying beads actually came first
Olay. So between the Catholic and Islam, which started using beats first?
Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by otemanuduno: 3:31pm On May 19, 2016
Na WA O. See what Jehovah and all these other gods have caused eventually. Jehovah(Nymphidis) was the first son of God to think of being worshipped by the homos(anakims). He killed millions of the homos to establish 'hypocrisy' which is called 'holiness' today.

Domino Reverad the God of the big bang who created all the gods(Jehovah, Eartum, Olorun, etc.) changed the name of Jehovah to Satan because of his warlike nature. And it is that Satan many worship today.

For full doctrine, click my signature.
Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by johnydon22(m): 6:05pm On May 19, 2016
Anas09:

Olay. So between the Catholic and Islam, which started using beats first?
I'd say Catholic...

Early Church fathers used praying beads as early as 3rd century AD (Not necessarly for rosary recitations as found today)

Islam bead praying is directly due to muhammed's practise of using his fingers to count his prayers which was later substituted with beads in Islam.

So catholic (Christian) beads came first.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by johnydon22(m): 6:09pm On May 19, 2016
ValentineMary:

Actually I think the islamic beads came first. The catholic rosary started in the year 1214 at Toulouse in France when St Dominic claimed the virgin Mary appeared to him. But the Islamic beads has been used since the time of Mohammed (64 A.D) though then it was disjoint pebbles used to recite the 99 attributes of Allah

This is incorrect

Muhammed was born in the 6th century 500s, 570AD to be precise and he never used beads rather counted with his hands beads were later inventions to subtitute muhammed's hand counting practise.

Catholic bead counting prayers began as early as 3rd century, the Rosary in particular is the one you are referring to which began in the 1200s by saint dominic

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by Anas09: 6:33pm On May 19, 2016
johnydon22:

This is incorrect

Muhammed was born in the 6th century 500s, 570AD to be precise and he never used beads rather counted with his hands beads were later inventions to subtitute muhammed's hand counting practise.

Catholic bead counting prayers began as early as 3rd century, the Rosary in particular is the one you are referring to which began in the 1200s by saint dominic
Jon, Catholic Church as an organised religion started in the 4th Century, not third. So how could they have started counting beads by then.
By third Cenrury Christianity wasnt yet a state religion, and the Christians prior to Catholicism never use beads.
Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by johnydon22(m): 6:51pm On May 19, 2016
Anas09:

Jon, Catholic Church as an organised religion started in the 4th Century, not third. So how could they have started counting beads by then.
By third Cenrury Christianity wasnt yet a state religion, and the Christians prior to Catholicism never use beads.

Christianity was made a state roman religion late 4th century but Christianity existed in Rome long before then.

Now to put to rest whether Early Christians used prayer beads let me then quote a wikipedia source since saying it myself won't be accepted as a credible source.

" The Desert Fathers of the 3rd to 5th centuries, used pebbles or knotted ropes
to count prayers, typically the Jesus Prayer ("Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God,
have mercy on me, a sinner"wink. The invention is attributed to Anthony the Great
or his associate Pachomius the Great in the 4th century."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_beads

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by Anas09: 7:14pm On May 19, 2016
johnydon22:

Christianity was made a state roman religion late 4th century but Christianity existed in Rome long before then.

Now to put to rest whether Early Christians used prayer beads let me then quote a wikipedia source since saying it myself won't be accepted as a credible source.

" The Desert Fathers of the 3rd to 5th centuries, used pebbles or knotted ropes
to count prayers, typically the Jesus Prayer ("Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God,
have mercy on me, a sinner"wink. The invention is attributed to Anthony the Great
or his associate Pachomius the Great in the 4th century."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_beads

No doubt Christianity was in Rome as early as the first Century. But then it wasn't organized. It wasn't known by any name. Christians then gathered in underground cellers and homes for worship. They were no "Church Fathers" then. Christianity was purely following the handed down letters or epistles handed down by the Prophets and Apostles.
If any Church Father's claims they counted beads before Christianity was lifted from the dungeon to the palace, that "Church Father" lied. And from when did you Johnnydon started taking Wikipedia and it's sources sriously? I hope you know, you can place an article on Wikipedia?
Beads counting or chanting has no roots in Christianity. Not at all.

1 Like

Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by Ubenedictus(m): 7:27pm On May 19, 2016
Sheenor:
d Christian beads came first even though it wasn't called a rosary then.[url]
Sheenor:
d Christian beads came first even though it wasn't called a rosary then.[/url]
Sheenor:
d Christian beads came first even though it wasn't called a rosary then.
Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by Ubenedictus(m): 7:57pm On May 19, 2016
Sheenor:
Catholicism came first by hundreds of years.
Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by Ubenedictus(m): 8:03pm On May 19, 2016
ValentineMary:

It is true the rosary began about 1200ad, but the use of beads in catholicism predates the rosary by hundreds of years.

d rosary is just one form of xtian bead use, monks and hermits have been using d beads to count d Jesus prayer, pater nosters, psalms and all sorts of prayers from about the 3rd and 4th century.
Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by Ubenedictus(m): 8:05pm On May 19, 2016
johnydon22:

I'd say Catholic...

Early Church fathers used praying beads as early as 3rd century AD (Not necessarly for rosary recitations as found today)

Islam bead praying is directly due to muhammed's practise of using his fingers to count his prayers which was later substituted with beads in Islam.

So catholic (Christian) beads came first.
CORRECT.
Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by Ubenedictus(m): 8:56pm On May 19, 2016
Anas09:

Not true, catholicism as an organised religion predates the 4th century, the historic writting are there for anyone who cares, by d 2nd century xtian communities have been organised under bishops, priests and deacons, bishop were already excercising their authority and later times hold councils among themselves.

in rome xtianity was pretty organised from about d 1st century, b4 d apostles died bishop were already appointed, presbyter and deacon were under d bishop. the bishop of rome were also settling issues of churches around it.
d church ws organised even b4 it bcame an official religion. and on the topic xtian beads do predat muslim beads.
Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by Nobody: 9:14pm On May 19, 2016
Sheenor:

Yeah! that's right,[s] it's obvious islam copy the Roman Catholic Church on this[/s].. What a religion. Smh.....

When you don't know something you keep mute, you'll have to prove that Muhammad pbuh used beads to count.... Only then you can attribute it to Islam.
Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by Ubenedictus(m): 9:15pm On May 19, 2016
Anas09:

No doubt Christianity was in Rome as early as the first Century. But then it wasn't organized. It wasn't known by any name. Christians then gathered in underground cellers and homes for worship. They were no "Church Fathers" then. Christianity was purely following the handed down letters or epistles handed down by the Prophets and Apostles.
If any Church Father's claims they counted beads before Christianity was lifted from the dungeon to the palace, that "Church Father" lied. And from when did you Johnnydon started taking Wikipedia and it's sources sriously? I hope you know, you can place an article on Wikipedia?
Beads counting or chanting has no roots in Christianity. Not at all.
Actually bead counting didnt start in d 'palace' it started in d desert. there are church fathers that come from before the 4th century eg st Justin, THE CHURCH WAS NAMED CATHOLIC LONG BEFORE D 4TH CENTURY. The church was organised even when in d catacombs.
Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by Anas09: 9:23pm On May 19, 2016
Ubenedictus:
Not true, catholicism as an organised religion predates the 4th century, the historic writting are there for anyone who cares, by d 2nd century xtian communities have been organised under bishops, priests and deacons, bishop were already excercising their authority and later times hold councils among themselves.

in rome xtianity was pretty organised from about d 1st century, b4 d apostles died bishop were already appointed, presbyter and deacon were under d bishop. the bishop of rome were also settling issues of churches around it.
d church ws organised even b4 it bcame an official religion. and on the topic xtian beads do predat muslim beads.
I have just one question. Was there a Roman Catholic Church before Emperor Nero was enthroned as the Emperor of Rome?
Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by Anas09: 9:26pm On May 19, 2016
Ubenedictus:
Actually bead counting didnt start in d 'palace' it started in d desert. there are church fathers that come from before the 4th century eg st Justin, THE CHURCH WAS NAMED CATHOLIC LONG BEFORE D 4TH CENTURY. The church was organised even when in d catacombs.
Really? Under which Roman Emperor was the Church named "The Roman Catholic Church?"
Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by Anas09: 9:26pm On May 19, 2016
Ubenedictus:
Really? Under which Roman Emperor was the Church named "The Roman Catholic Church?" was it before or after the Edict of Milan was passed?
Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by Ubenedictus(m): 9:44pm On May 19, 2016
lexiconkabir:

When you don't know something you keep mute, you'll have to prove that Muhammad pbuh used beads to count.... Only then you can attribute it to Islam.
They said muhammad pbuh used his hands to count his prayes not beads.
Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by Nobody: 10:09pm On May 19, 2016
Ubenedictus:
They said muhammad pbuh used his hands to count his prayes not beads.

I dont remember quoting u
Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by Ubenedictus(m): 10:24pm On May 19, 2016
Anas09:

Really? Under which Roman Emperor was the Church named "The Roman Catholic Church?" was it before or after the Edict of Milan was passed?
The church was name 'catholic church' long before d edict of milan. that name has been around since d 2nd century.
Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by Ubenedictus(m): 10:25pm On May 19, 2016
lexiconkabir:

I dont remember quoting u
This is a public forum anybody can quote anybody.
Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by Ubenedictus(m): 10:28pm On May 19, 2016
Anas09:

I have just one question. Was there a Roman Catholic Church before Emperor Nero was enthroned as the Emperor of Rome?
Yes there was.
Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by Nobody: 10:41pm On May 19, 2016
Ubenedictus:
This is a public forum anybody can quote anybody.
That doesn't change the fact that i don't remember quoting you.

2 Likes

Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by Ubenedictus(m): 7:38am On May 20, 2016
lexiconkabir:

That doesn't change the fact that i don't remember quoting you.
u don't need to quote me. but I have every right to
quote you whenever I wish to address a point u raised.

u didn't quote me but that doesn't prevent me from quoting you, that is what a public forum is all about.
Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by Anas09: 4:17pm On May 20, 2016
Ubenedictus:
Yes there was.
You realize Emperor Nero reigned in the first century?
Re: Which Came First. Rosary Or Islam Prayer Beeds (tesbih) by Ubenedictus(m): 5:07pm On May 20, 2016
Anas09:

u
yeah, at that time the church used other names.[url]
Anas09:

u
yeah, at that time the church used other names.[/url]
Anas09:

u
yeah, at that time the church used other names.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Sin In Garden Of Eden Was SEX And Not Fruit, Satan Had Sex With Eve PROOF / (BIBLE MYSTERY) Who Wrote The Book Of Job? / The Falling Away And The Revelation Of The Son Of Perdition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.