Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,410 members, 7,958,193 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 10:37 AM

Are Nigerian Teenagers The Most Ignored Group Of People? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are Nigerian Teenagers The Most Ignored Group Of People? (594 Views)

15 Divorced People Reveal The Subtle Red Flags They Ignored Before Marrying / Mum Ignored Her Crying Daughter Who Had A Live Scorpion In Her Shoes. See Why / Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nigerian Teenagers The Most Ignored Group Of People? by youthng: 6:11pm On May 20, 2016
I remember growing up and going through puberty, having self esteem issues due to pimples and basically not understanding a lot of emotions that come with teenage years. I was what I later discovered to be a "late bloomer" so I had all my friends attaining maturity long before me and me having to pretend to be smarter and wiser than I was. I wasn't fooling anyone and I learned everything I now know the hard way amidst many awkwardness and mistakes. (Thank God no life changing mistakes though).

Fast forward to almost 15 years later, I found myself in a foreign country, working for a Governmental organization which focused purely on giving advise on puberty, relationships, sex etc to teenagers. The government was willing to spend so much money equipping their teenagers with sufficient information in order for them to make wise decisions. Their statistics showed that early pregnancy rates went down, teens were entering into more meaningful relationship and recognizing relationships which were bad for them early enough. These young kids were wiser than they would have been if not for this governmental initiative.

Compare that to Nigeria where you see adults making some mistakes which really isn't their fault because if you grew up just like me, you learned from your mistakes. Some costlier than others.

I am now thinking of introducing such initiative in Nigeria. I have given up on doing that through the government. I am wondering how to introduce it and how to make money from all the knowledge I gathered in my time working as an adviser to these kids. Please assist me by completing my survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VQ5WHD9

I am also open to comments and advise. I would love to hear your views.
Re: Are Nigerian Teenagers The Most Ignored Group Of People? by Vision4God: 6:30pm On May 20, 2016
@youthng
its a 50-50 case.

some parent have failed to look out for der teen children due to d pursuit of career, money or de feel its not necessary and some do not know how to go about it wt der kids.

in anoda case, some of ds teenagers do not listen to der parents. de wanna xplore demselves,resulting in mistakes. some churches look out for ds teens and yet u discover some feel de know it too well to b advised on such matters.

God help us parents
Re: Are Nigerian Teenagers The Most Ignored Group Of People? by youthng: 6:38pm On May 20, 2016
Vision4God:
@youthng
its a 50-50 case.

some parent have failed to look out for der teen children due to d pursuit of career, money or de feel its not necessary and some do not know how to go about it wt der kids.

in anoda case, some of ds teenagers do not listen to der parents. de wanna xplore demselves,resulting in mistakes. some churches look out for ds teens and yet u discover some feel de know it too well to b advised on such matters.

God help us parents

Thanks for your response. I understand where you are coming from. Many times these teens feel they have "arrived"; afterall physically they are beginning to develop to become what you as their parents look like. They think they know it all. At that stage their emotions are all over the place and they actually need guidance in order to make meaningful choices in life. I am thinking of introducing a book or set of books geared towards explaining to them what they are going through. This could also help break the ice between them and their parents and make some of these topics easier for parent and child to discuss. I wonder if this would be embraced though. Nigerians I feel are uptight about some of these topics.
Re: Are Nigerian Teenagers The Most Ignored Group Of People? by Vision4God: 9:06pm On May 21, 2016
youthng:

Thanks for your response. I understand where you are coming from. Many times these teens feel they have "arrived"; afterall physically they are beginning to develop to become what you as their parents look like. They think they know it all. At that stage their emotions are all over the place and they actually need guidance in order to make meaningful choices in life. I am thinking of introducing a book or set of books geared towards explaining to them what they are going through. This could also help break the ice between them and their parents and make some of these topics easier for parent and child to discuss. I wonder if this would be embraced though. Nigerians I feel are uptight about some of these topics.

was talking 2 a teen, dscoverd she knew more dan i tot....(internet tinz). And on d net, wise and stupid write up are all over. God help dem 2 read and assimilate d ryt ones.
concerning d book, dat wud b xcellent... . (make it catchy..` smiley
kudos 2u. nice vision u've got. God bless u
Re: Are Nigerian Teenagers The Most Ignored Group Of People? by youthng: 7:01am On May 22, 2016
Vision4God:

was talking 2 a teen, dscoverd she knew more dan i tot....(internet tinz). And on d net, wise and stupid write up are all over. God help dem 2 read and assimilate d ryt ones.
concerning d book, dat wud b xcellent... . (make it catchy..` smiley
kudos 2u. nice vision u've got. God bless u

I can imagine! And they will come across a lot of misleading stuff which they will believe to be the norm. Thanks a lot. I've got a few people complete my survey. Thanks to them too. If you haven't done so here's the link https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VQ5WHD9

(1) (Reply)

Submission Is Key / Natural Way To Reverse Type 2 Diabetes / Just For The Married.....professional Advice & Counselling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.