Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,401 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:36 AM

Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share (16637 Views)

Nigerian Victim Of Gas Explosion Shows Shocking Recovery Photos, fans react. / Dangers Of Excessive Smoking, A Victim You Should See / 6-Year-old Boko Haram Victim Shocked Dubai Doctors Begins To Walk (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by hydeka: 4:04am On May 21, 2016
Errors occur in the medical practice. Some can be fatal while others are mild.
These errors could come from a doctor, a pharmacist, nurse lab scientist etc. They come in different forms such as a wrong diagnosis by a doctor leading to wrong prescription, it could also come in form of wrong dispensing by the pharmacist, a wrong lab test result or a wrong drug/dose administration by a nurse.
Statistics show that these mistakes are rampant.

Have you or any of your friend or relative ever being a victim of any medical error? Feel free to share.

Note: this thread is not aimed at bashing health professionals. Remember that they are also human and the stress of the profession contribute largely to these errors.
The aim of this thread is to note the pattern of these errors in order to propose ways to minimised them.

Let the discussion begin...

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by hydeka: 4:13am On May 21, 2016
Let me get the ball rolling by giving some examples.

Wrong surgery: In the US, One woman had her fallopian tube removed instead of her appendix , while another patient received a heart operation that was not needed.

Wrong Prescription/medication: Most people assume that the medicine they receive from their doctor or pharmacist is the correct drug at the correct dose, but millions of people every day get the wrong prescription. For instance, a woman was given an antidiabetic drug meant for another patient with a similar surname. She died of hypoglycemic brain injury.

Wrong diagnosis: One woman went to the emergency room complaining of neck pain and a headache, but was having trouble vocalizing her symptoms. The rushed emergency room doctor dismissed the issue as just a muscle pain, releasing her with only pain medication. The next day, the woman was readmitted to the same emergency room and died of cardiac arrest from the stroke she had apparently been having the day before. The doctor who had treated her the previous day admits that he should have recognized the signs of stroke, blaming himself for her death.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by marshalcarter: 4:17am On May 21, 2016
#sits with kpof corn nd coookeegrin
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by hydeka: 4:32am On May 21, 2016
marshalcarter:
#sits with kpof corn nd coookeegrin
You are welcome. smiley
Dont just eat your popcorn (or is it kpof corn now? smiley )
Share your experience too, if you have any, even if it involves a relative or friend

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by marshalcarter: 4:34am On May 21, 2016
hydeka:

You are welcome. smiley
Dont just eat your popcorn (or is it kpof corn now? smiley )
Share your experience too, if you have any, even if it involves a relative or friend
Me only came to chaw kpofcorn nd cookeegrin

Plss shift
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by eleojo23: 4:43am On May 21, 2016
Booked for later use.
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by hydeka: 6:48am On May 24, 2016
Contributions pls....
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by nairalandbuzz(m): 8:00am On May 28, 2016
Yes!

I was sick then and I decided to use my HMO.. Went to hospital and was treated for Malaria... Still sick and was treated for Malaria again using injections and then I went there again that I wasn't getting any better and I was told I have mild depression...

I was like ha! Ewo ni mild depression They gave Mr some medications in the anti depressants range and it made matters worse and was adviced to see a psychiatrist and at that point, I now agreed with my wife to follow her to Gbagada general hospital as she has been saying... On getting there, I was asked to do a test same one I did at the previous hospital and from their own result, they said its just vitamin deficiency and gave me B Co to use twice morning and evening... After like two days, I was feeling life and getting better and I was like alas!

On going back to the precious hospital to ask questions they said their own test won't show those statistics that was shown in general hospital cos I am not a walk in patient... That as HMO patient, that was the directive they got.

I queried the HMO and they got nothing to say... I called the doc (cos he is a friend) that he should give me a lost of HMO that he trusts and my HMO is even in top three and then confided in me that do u know a certain HMO instructed us not to give antibiotics to kids for cough?

It was then that I had to think twice... Where are we going in this nation? HMO is a scam and its the real blame here... No wonder general hospitals ain't included on their list.

So, I now watch what I eat, installed mosquito net in all rooms, and this mortein continuous flit - don't know the name (NaturGard Insect Control System).. Cos I don't wanna have any reason to face hospital HMO.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by BlackPeni5: 8:01am On May 28, 2016
A colleague lost a child due to wrong diagnosis and medication.
Doctors left forceps in the torso of my neighbour and stitched her up. It was only discovered when she started having pains many years later.

Too many quacks in this country in every field.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by MrCow(m): 8:04am On May 28, 2016
lolz

ts so common in this part of the world ranging from Abscess due to unprofessional injection giving to amputation without looking into the situation properly

there was an incident that occurred in my school some months back where the doctor asked "so what are the symptoms" and my friend was like "headache, pyrexia....." he didn't even allow him to finish, the doctor prescribed Artesunate whereas she was trying to explain to the doctor that she doesn't use that for malaria as its too powerful for her

omo doctor no gree o, 'you can't teach me my job ish' not until she fainted and was rushed back to the health center. The doctor con talk say the drug he prescribed was on her request.

m in medical school and I can say categorically that we read to pass, nobody wants to repeat. the pressure is much, we only get to see real situations in clinicals that's for the serious ones though

5 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by Nnemuka(f): 8:04am On May 28, 2016
yeah i know a friend who had irregular menstruation, visited her doctor and was informed it was an infection.
Quack doctor claimed it was an ovarian cyst that requires surgery to be removed.

Unfortunately in the process of surgery damaged her womb, so womb had to be removed.
she was aged 17 then till today she never saw her menstruation again.

Another happened at "Boshan" doctor claimed she has fibroid, scheduled her for an operation and afterwards he came out to inform us that it was appendix.
Advice: majority of Naija doc are quacks, especially the ones trained in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by sleek82(m): 8:05am On May 28, 2016
I think the silliest errors i have seen are the ones coming mostly from nigerian doctors who jump into conclusion that you have malaria just because you show signs of malaria....forgetting there are so many other ailments that show the same signs....instead of getting you tested first, they give you malaria drugs straight!

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by codemaster2much: 8:06am On May 28, 2016
Ik
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by cyara(f): 8:06am On May 28, 2016
My aunty's child isn't acting like his age because he had a brain problem and wasn't noticed on time and was rushed to a government hospital after my mum noticed something was wrong
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by apeleone(f): 8:08am On May 28, 2016
five years ago wen i was pregnant wit my first child during d antenatal registeration process saw d lab result that I was O rh negative and I am positive had to see d medical lab scientist another test was conducted n it came out positive,we have to always double check wat ever result we're given in most hospitals

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by Generalkorex(m): 8:08am On May 28, 2016
ok

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by wickedtuna: 8:08am On May 28, 2016
I was wrongfully diagnosed of kidney inflammation! undecided when all i had was ulcer...
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by Eke40seven(m): 8:09am On May 28, 2016
I think we have all been
In Nigeria, every sickness is diagnosed either as typhoid or malaria.
Dr. I am having a serious headache.
Malaria/Typhoid
Dr. I am having a running stomach
Malaria/Typhoid
Dr. I think I am pregnant
Diagnosis: Typhoid/Malaria
Dr. I had an accident
Diagnosis: malaria/Typhoid
Dr. I am depressed
Diagnosis: Typhoid/malaria
Dr. I have sore throat
Diagnosis: Thyphoid/Malaria
Dr. I can't satisfy my wife
Dr. I am suffering from poverty
Dr. I have problems approaching girls
Diagnosis: Typhoid/Malaria.
This goes on while people die slowly from the ailments they are suffering from.
SMH

16 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by Hollawaley(m): 8:10am On May 28, 2016
Av seen a nurse give a little kid injection on the butt. And the kid's butt started swelling
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by destino24(m): 8:10am On May 28, 2016
Ok, so in freshman year, we were supposed to get the new biometric ID card, and we were to provide our Blood Group among other informations.

Na so I go one reputable hospital here in Enugu for Medical Test. They took my blood and told me to come back the next day for the result. Came back the next day for result and was told I was O+.

Fast forward, 5 years later in 500 level. I had a little medical issue and I had to run a couple of tests of which blood grouping was part of. Surprisingly, my Blood Group had "Changed" to A+. I had to run the test at 2 other different Labs, all came up with A+.

Meanwhile, on my School ID Card, it says O+.

Imagine a situation, maybe an accident, of which i might require a blood transfusion, and then they take a look at the ID Card, and conclude my GRP was O+.

Na so person go just take die

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by hydeka: 8:11am On May 28, 2016
sleek82:
I think the silliest errors i have seen are the ones coming mostly from nigerian doctors who jump into conclusion that you have malaria just because you show signs of malaria....forgetting there are so many other ailments that show the same signs....instead of getting you tested first, they give you malaria drugs straight!
I can relate with this. I think part of what contributes to them jumping into conclusion is that the workload is usually too much especially for OPD (out-patient) doctors. They have to see a lot of patients hence the rush. But I think they should still try to spend a little more time to actually get to the root of the problem before giving a definite diagnosis.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by michaelmo11(m): 8:12am On May 28, 2016
Yes ooo, i know of a friend that was artificially inseminated by an unstable female doctor. The baby is now a year old.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by SisiNini(f): 8:13am On May 28, 2016
Yes!

I had benign breast lump which was to be removed by surgical operation... I summoned all the courage, strength and faith I had in God to prepare for it... Sleep was far from me as the day got closer... On the day of the surgery, I was so afraid that I shivered so much... The Surgeons said if I don't stop they will have to book me for another day... I had to co-operate... I told them to just deaden the area cos I want to be awake throughout the procedure... No be say I get liver, na fear make me opt for the option... In less than 30minutes, they were done...

I gave glory to Almighty God cos I successfully overcame my worst fear... I kept thanking God... Two weeks after, I was on my bed massaging the bandaged area, then I became curious... I felt something hard again... I said to myself that God has totally healed me and probably that was my imagination...

Tho, I went to the hospital the following morning and all I heard was that 'We are very sorry, u still have a lump there'... The lump was not totally removed the first time... JESUS! I cud not cry because the matter don pass tears that moment... I was jux staring into space while all the medical personnels kept apologising to me...

Later, I cried like I have never done before... What if it internal? What if I was not observant? I told them to do another surgery for me that same day and they said no, that the first cut needs to be healed and I need to re do all the initial test to prepare me for another surgery...

That was how I had 2 surgeries in 5weeks all because of carelessness... I give God the praise cos mine could be rectified and have been perfectly fit since then...

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by sleek82(m): 8:13am On May 28, 2016
Hollawaley:
Av seen a nurse give a little kid injection on the butt. And the kid's butt started swelling
sometimes this is not the fault of the person that gave the injection but the fact that after the injection was given, it wasnt rubbed well and in turn caused an abscess

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by CuteNeSsOvaLoaD(f): 8:14am On May 28, 2016
I had an appendix operation some years ago nd the doctors mistakenly sliced my intestine nd feaces(poo) started coming outta the drain site nd if not I was rushed back to the hospital only God knows what would av happened...I had to stay in the hospital for another 2 months plus after another correctional surgery was carried out thru my mid section.....Hmmmmmm,it wasn't funny buh Thank God am alive to tell it all

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by Hollawaley(m): 8:14am On May 28, 2016
And also doctor left cotton wool in the stomach of my sister's friend mom during CS. She saw something coming tru her vagina and pulled it out only to discover after scan that its cotton wool

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by Nobody: 8:15am On May 28, 2016
yes, I'm coming to explain.
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by theophorus(m): 8:15am On May 28, 2016
... Health "professionals" hmmm.

A younger Dr. gave Nurse instructions on what to do to a child who was admitted the Senior Dr. scold Him and gave a Different instruction which I think lead to the ..... of the Kid.

Medicine in Nigeria is mostly practice because of the Money not for the passion of Saving lives.

Have you ask yourself why the Dr. will never give you what will make you not to come back? Have you wonder why researches are never on dosage of Herbs? Have you wonder why the number of CS (25/200) for delivery.....

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by sleek82(m): 8:15am On May 28, 2016
hydeka:

I can relate with this. I think part of what contributes to them jumping into conclusion is that the workload is usually too much especially for OPD doctors. They have to see a lot of patients hence the rush. But I think they should still try to spend a little more time to actually get to the root of the problem before giving a definite diagnosis.
you are very right but sometimes the test is just the saving grace between life and death
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by Hollawaley(m): 8:17am On May 28, 2016
sleek82:
sometimes this is not the fault of the person that gave the injection but the fact that after the injection was given, it wasnt rubbed well and in turn caused an abscess
she gave her the injection on the part of the butt where she was not to!
Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by Twaci(f): 8:17am On May 28, 2016
Doctors told me I had brain inflammation coupled with a heart disease and that I would die within a year....

That was 2008 smiley

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share by sleek82(m): 8:18am On May 28, 2016
Hollawaley:
she gave her the injection on the part of the butt where she was not to!
thats another valid possibility though

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

COVID-19 Update For October 24 2020 In Nigeria / Malaria: What You Need To Know (2022) / Watch Out, Prolonged Sitting Kills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.