Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,266 members, 7,818,922 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:08 AM

Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer (17135 Views)

How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview / Can You Answer These Tricky Job Interview Questions From Apple Inc / These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by mekuseze: 1:21pm On Aug 19, 2009
While job seekers can use the power of the Internet to thoroughly research prospective employers, their performance in an interview will make or break the chances for a job offer. By rehearsing interview questions, they can become better prepared to demonstrate how they can benefit an employer. Here's a list of the top 15 interview questions from the country's leading employers, to help job seekers prepare for job interviews:

1) Tell me about yourself.
2) What do you know about our company?
3) Why do you want to work for us?
4) What unique qualities or abilities would you bring to this job?
5) What are your major strengths and weaknesses?
6) How long do you plan to stay at our company? Where do you see yourself in five years?
7) Tell me about a time that you failed at something, and what you did afterwards.

The way you answer this questions will go a long way to determine how successful you'll be in an interview. Good answers to these questions are welcome.
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by Gentlelady(f): 1:54pm On Aug 19, 2009
Always give detailed answers! Ensure that you answer as truthfulfully as possible.

Your name, educational background, job experience etc.

Always do a research on the company prior to the interview, you should know the nature of their business etc

State the reasons for your application (could be you want to learn new technology from them, get good working conditions, grow on the job, work with an organisation that allows her employees to grow)

Your educational qualification and personal attributes that will add to the growth of the company. Personal attributes like ability to multi task, ability to learn fast, honesty, integrity, being a goal getter, pace setter, not being afraid of responsibility, great interpersonal skills, IT skills etc.

Make your personal strengths count and talk about your weakness and let them know what you are doing about it. For example my strength is my ability to learn fast and excellent memory while my weakness is delegation. I always want to do things myself to be sure it is done well. I am conquering that by training my subordinates and giving tasks ahead of deadline so I can cross check before final input is given out.

6) How long do you plan to stay at our company? Where do you see yourself in five years?

As long as the company meets your needs and aspirations. You can expantiate on what your aspirations are like training, growth, welfare etc. In five years one should have learnt very well and moved up the ladder. Talk about your personal plans to develop yourself through courses and trainings/exams

7) Tell me about a time that you failed at something, and what you did afterwards.

Say the truth. Pick any time you have failed but make sure it is the one that you went out of your way to correct your error

I am not a guru but I hope my contribution will enable others to add more light to this topic.

All the best.

5 Likes

Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by Gentlelady(f): 2:04pm On Aug 19, 2009
Always give detailed answers and be as truthful as possible.  Being truthful give us a natural confidence.

Always do a research on the company prior to the interview, you should know the nature of their business etc

State the reasons for your application (could be you want to learn new technology from them, get good working conditions, grow on the job, work with an organisation that allows her employees to grow)

Your educational qualification and personal attributes that will add to the growth of the company.  Personal attributes like ability to multi task, ability to learn fast, honesty, integrity, being a goal getter, pace setter, not being afraid of responsibility, great interpersonal skills, IT skills etc.

Make your personal strengths count and talk about your weakness and let them know what you are doing about it.  For example my strength is my ability to learn fast and excellent memory while my weakness is delegation.  I always want to do things myself to be sure it is done well.  I am conquering that by training my subordinates and giving tasks ahead of deadline so I can cross check before final input is given out.

As long as the company meets your needs and aspirations.  You can expatiate on what your aspirations are like training, growth, welfare etc.  In five years one should have learnt very well and moved up the ladder. Talk about your personal plans to develop yourself through courses and trainings/exams

Say the truth.  Pick any time you have failed but make sure it is the one that you went out of your way to correct your error

I am not a guru but I hope my contribution will enable others to add more light to this topic.

All the best.
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by adebayo111: 2:18am On Aug 20, 2009
I love this write up. Thanxs to both of u
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by sweetpain: 10:22am On Aug 20, 2009
cool What will you like to earn?
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by tkb417(m): 10:46am On Aug 20, 2009
nice one people
very infromative

didnt know all these years back when i was doing interviews
na God just dey save me cos na rubbish me dey yarn for interviews those days.

imagine this kind of question; why would you like to work for us and i was like cos i love ur advert shocked shocked grin grin
ojigbijigbi grin

3 Likes

Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by tkb417(m): 10:47am On Aug 20, 2009
sweetpain:

cool What will you like to earn?
i think i said any amount will do so far its according to the industry standard
i dont know these things
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by Nezan(m): 10:52am On Aug 20, 2009
Another likely question:

Are you presently engaged? Why do you want to leave your organisation to join us?
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by MrCrackles(m): 10:59am On Aug 20, 2009
Gentlelady:

What are your major strengths and weaknesses?
Make your personal strengths count and talk about your weakness and let them know what you are doing about it. For example my strength is my ability to learn fast and excellent memory while my weakness is delegation. I always want to do things myself to be sure it is done well. I am conquering that by training my subordinates and giving tasks ahead of deadline so I can cross check before final input is given out.

This one right here is really tricky. . . .
It is imperative to turn the table with the "weaknesses" by talking about how you can turn or what you have done to turn them into a "strenght"
That is where most people stumble!
Highlighting loads of weaknesses can ruin things for an interview candidate at times
And the Interviewers wont expect you not to have one or two or more "weaknesses" so be careful and dont claim "you dont have any" cheesy
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by jaybee3(m): 11:06am On Aug 20, 2009
MrCrackles:

[/font]

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]This one right here is really tricky. . . .
It is imperative to turn the table with the "weaknesses" by talking about how you can turn or what you have done to turn them into a "strenght"
Highlighting loads of weaknesses can ruin things for an interview candidate at times
And the Interviewers wont expect you not to have one or two or more "weaknesses" so be careful and dont claim "you dont have any" cheesy

I believe the easiest answer to give is:
I am a perfectionist as i like making sure my figures/task are done to certain high standards that i've set for myself. Having said that, i also believe being a perfectionist in a high pressured environment and constantly changing deadlines can work against me as i tend to spend extra work hours making sure work are always done.

Note that you haven't really shot yourself in the foot identifying your weakness. You have also used your weakness to highlight another strength of yours (being prepared to work so as to meet deadlines).
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by impish: 11:10am On Aug 20, 2009
jay bee:

I believe the easiest answer to give is:
I am a perfectionist as i like making sure my figures/task are done to certain high standards that i've set for myself. Having said that, i also believe being a perfectionist in a high pressured environment and constantly changing deadlines can work against me as i tend to spend extra work hours making sure work are always done.

Note that you haven't really shot yourself in the foot identifying your weakness. You have also used your weakness to highlight another strength of yours (being prepared to work so as to meet deadlines).

wow, never thot of it like that! great response. I hope I rmbr that next time grin grin grin
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by MrCrackles(m): 11:10am On Aug 20, 2009
jay bee:

That is where i am homing in on. . . .
It is also important to give a robust and balanced description of one's strenghts as this will overshadow any weaknesses given!
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by jaybee3(m): 11:14am On Aug 20, 2009
tkb417:

i dont know these things
This is indeed a tricky question but an easy way to answer this is by you saying something like;
My primary and most important requirement is enjoying what i do and having read the job description and having heard what you've had to say about the company on the training benefits, developmental support and the willingness/support to help make me succeed/achieve my goals then pay packet is something i believe will be remunerated properly for someone with my level of experience.
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by posakosa(m): 11:14am On Aug 20, 2009
when they ask "tell me about yourself"

you should most definitely state your name but do not list obvious things on the resume, you should say something along the line, "i am a seasoned accountant with 5 years of experience in corporate accounting. I am knowledgeable about ledgers and such" vs. saying what school you attended, the interviewee already knows that.
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by Gentlelady(f): 11:35am On Aug 20, 2009
tkb417:

i dont know these things

You will probably be asked what you think the industry standard is? In your research prior the interview, find out what the company or other companies in same business and cadre are paying. So you can state the figure but remember to say you are open to negotiations. If one has work experience you should be able to state the figure you expect to receive.
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by Gentlelady(f): 11:46am On Aug 20, 2009
Nezan:

Another likely question:

Are you presently engaged? Why do you want to leave your organisation to join us?

There are so many reasons to change jobs- Better working conditions (money, welfare, training etc); opportunities for growth; training/working with modern equipments; good company image; position you applied for etc.
Just state your reason but if it is money try and make it sound nice by adding other things. grin Most companies are skeptical about the staff that just joins them for finance reason because the likelihood of him/her leaving them as soon as another offer with higher pay comes is high.
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by r231(m): 11:57am On Aug 20, 2009
posakosa:

when they ask "tell me about yourself"

you should most definitely state your name but do not list obvious things on the resume, you should say something along the line, "i am a seasoned accountant with 5 years of experience in corporate accounting. I am knowledgeable about ledgers and such" vs. saying what school you attended, the interviewee already knows that.

You knw a recruiter once told me dat wen they ask dat question they are not looking for your name answer cus your name is alrdy on the resume basically they want to knw more about what you put dwn on your resume in details, what you have been doing and where you are going.
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by r231(m): 11:58am On Aug 20, 2009
Gentlelady:

Always give detailed answers! Ensure that you answer as truthfulfully as possible.

Your educational qualification and personal attributes that will add to the growth of the company. Personal attributes like ability to multi task, ability to learn fast, honesty, integrity, being a goal getter, pace setter, not being afraid of responsibility, great interpersonal skills, IT skills etc.

As long as the company meets your needs and aspirations. You can expantiate on what your aspirations are like training, growth, welfare etc. In five years one should have learnt very well and moved up the ladder. Talk about your personal plans to develop yourself through courses and trainings/exams

Say the truth. Pick any time you have failed but make sure it is the one that you went out of your way to correct your error

All the best.

gr8
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by eunisam: 12:15pm On Aug 20, 2009
Good idea for job seakers
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by celidion(f): 12:44pm On Aug 20, 2009
wow this is a very good one, am informed, grin
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by oge4real(f): 1:17pm On Aug 20, 2009
I have been really enlightened by this post. Thank you so much.
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by koolchicco: 1:50pm On Aug 20, 2009
@ Poster

You said 5 Tricky Questions,But i can read more than seven. grin grin grin
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by posakosa(m): 2:05pm On Aug 20, 2009
r231:

You knw a recruiter once told me dat wen they ask dat question they are not looking for your name answer cus your name is alrdy on the resume basically they want to knw more about what you put dwn on your resume in details, what you have been doing and where you are going.

No one cares about what u're doing and where u're going. The most important thing is "what added value can you bring the org/company ? what can you do for us ?

U're right about the name thing, I just like to restate my name.
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by MyPeace(f): 2:28pm On Aug 20, 2009
good job guys!
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by Donvilo(m): 2:47pm On Aug 20, 2009
Bravo! NLs Bravo!! Surely does questions really seem tricky. I like it! At least, am equipped with information. smiley God bless u guys.
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by xqwysyte(f): 4:12pm On Aug 20, 2009
One interviewer once asked me (jokingly of corse): Would u consider dating me"? shocked

No kidding.
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by MrCrackles(m): 4:22pm On Aug 20, 2009
xqwysyte:

One interviewer once asked me (jokingly of corse): Would u consider dating me"? shocked
No kidding.
Now that is tricky. . . I hope u said yes! cheesy
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by mikeoscar: 4:24pm On Aug 20, 2009
Quote from: Gentlelady on Yesterday at 02:04:37 PM
What are your major strengths and weaknesses?
Make your personal strengths count and talk about your weakness and let them know what you are doing about it.  For example my strength is my ability to learn fast and excellent memory while my weakness is delegation.  I always want
to do things myself to be sure it is done well.  I am conquering that by training my subordinates and giving tasks ahead of deadline so I can cross check before final input is given out.

[table]This one right here is really tricky. . . .
And the Interviewers wont expect you not to have one or two or more "weaknesses" so be careful and dont claim "you dont have any"
[/table]
@Mr Crackles:
Honestly this is the MOST positive and intellectually stimulating thing IMO that you have brought to this forum when you are not swearing, cursing, accusing, mocking,reviling or derogating Pastors/Bishops or Churches. This is actually a complement from my heart of hearts please keep this change of attitude up even as I continue to pray for you. Hey, this is supposed to be a compliment o.k.
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by jaybee3(m): 4:26pm On Aug 20, 2009
xqwysyte:

No kidding.
what was your answer?
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by Gentlelady(f): 4:27pm On Aug 20, 2009
xqwysyte:

No kidding.

What was your reply? grin  
I honestly believe he was just trying to make you relax!  Once one admired my wrist watch and asked if I could buy one for him and a lady admired the lenght of my skirt!
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by MrCrackles(m): 4:28pm On Aug 20, 2009
mike oscar:

@Mr Crackles:
Honestly this is the MOST positive and intellectually stimulating thing IMO that you have brought to this forum when you are not swearing, cursing, accusing, mocking,reviling or derogating Pastors/Bishops or Churches. This is actually a complement from my heart of hearts please keep this change of attitude up even as I continue to pray for you. Hey, this is supposed to be a compliment o.k.

What do you mean?
Dont read too deep into my posts. . . Most people who know me on this forum, will tell you i joke a lot
All the same thanks!

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Ways To Request For A Salary Increase. / How To Decode An Invalid N-power Text Message/sms/email / My Boss Fined Me 10k For An Assignment On Sunday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.