Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,152 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer (17136 Views)

How To Answer ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ At A Job Interview / Can You Answer These Tricky Job Interview Questions From Apple Inc / These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by oljacobs: 5:27pm On Aug 20, 2009
Once had this question at an interview

"What is your greatest achievement? Tell us how you achieved it and obstacles you faced while trying to acheive your goal"

I managed to answer the question but did not get the job at the end of the day. Nairalanders, could you pls through some light on how to answer this kinda question.
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by allboyz(m): 7:26pm On Aug 20, 2009
good topic!
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by posakosa(m): 7:56pm On Aug 20, 2009
oljacobs:

Once had this question at an interview

"What is your greatest achievement? Tell us how you achieved it and obstacles you faced while trying to acheive your goal"

I managed to answer the question but did not get the job at the end of the day. Nairalanders, could you pls through some light on how to answer this kinda question.

I don't think that this is a difficult question to answer. You probably didn't get the job for various other reasons.

Talk about a project you worked on, how it made you feel, and the process it took for you to get there.

For example, you had to build a model plane, you enjoyed the team work involved in working with others however, its quite difficult working with people who have different ideas, however, we created a common objective and goals and were able to complete the project. This is a great accomplishment because it reflects my work ethic, blah, blah, this is actually a good question.

Ill be sure to use it.
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by oljacobs: 8:58pm On Aug 20, 2009
Cheers for the insight posakosa
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by danacreate: 9:28pm On Aug 20, 2009
God bless gentlelady.
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by 4congo: 10:49pm On Aug 20, 2009
@gentlelady

You have simply answered those question wonderfully. You are a Genius!!
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by pcicero(m): 11:12pm On Aug 20, 2009
xqwysyte:

One interviewer once asked me (jokingly of corse): Would u consider dating me"? shocked

No kidding.
I think i would say i don't generally mix business with pleasure. Abi? Since such relatonships would have an adverse effects on my ability to concentrate on the job. Hope i got that right and won't lose the job based on that. HR people in the house, over to you. undecided
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by koolchicco: 12:03am On Aug 21, 2009
pcicero:

I think i would say i don't generally mix business with pleasure. Abi? Since such relatonships would have an adverse effects on my ability to concentrate on the job. Hope i got that right and won't lose the job based on that. HR people in the house, over to you. undecided

I think it depends on what the interviewer really meant.In my own case i answered exactly as u have written above,guess what, I ended up loosing the job.Subsequently i was told by an insider that i lost the job cos i responded contrarily.diff strokes!
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by oljacobs: 5:11am On Aug 21, 2009
pcicero:

I think the interviewer was just trying to lighten your mood. In my own case i would have answered jokingly as well saying: "If dating you would get me the job, then I'll consider it."
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by Gentlelady(f): 9:18am On Aug 21, 2009
Thanks all.  I am glad to be of help.  I have equally gained a lot from this topic and Nairaland generally.

koolchicco:

I think it depends on what the interviewer really meant.In my own case i answered exactly as u have written above,guess what, I ended up loosing the job.Subsequently i was told by an insider that i lost the job cos i responded contrarily.diff strokes!

Just as well you did not get the job, it is not good to get a job cos you promised to date the interviewer.  What if he/she takes you up on that?
It is a very tricky one but I would have answered; it depends on company policy and our mutual compatibility. I believe this is honest enough and upholds the company policy and my personal belief.  cool
If you say yes the guy/lady is happy but the other interviewers may be unhappy about it.

I have never been asked this question but I have been asked about my stance on colleagues dating eachother.  I did answer similar to the above that; it depends on company policy and if it does not affect their jobs it is fine.

Making a joke out of it is nice if the interviewers sound like they are all into the joke, otherwise you are on your own. wink
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by ayobase(m): 12:59pm On Aug 21, 2009
Then, lets go get the job then!
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by igbalajobi: 4:11pm On Aug 21, 2009
it depends on company policy and our mutual compatibility.

spot on.

This to me tackles the question on two fronts - whether she was trying to joke or serious, it suit any of them.

I would also called on experienced HR Directors/managers, recruitment consultants who are versed in the bis of recruitment interview to advise further on issues raises so far.
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by Carshopper(m): 4:25pm On Aug 21, 2009
Lovely n matured answers.what abt a question as dis.why shld we employ you?.
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by Gentlelady(f): 4:47pm On Aug 21, 2009
Carshopper:

Lovely n matured answers.what abt a question as dis.why shld we employ you?.

I believe No. 4 answers this.  Talk about values you can bring to the company and No. 3 how the company will affect you positively.

igbalajobi:

spot on.
This to me tackles the question on two fronts - whether she was trying to joke or serious, it suit any of them.
I would also called on experienced HR Directors/managers, recruitment consultants who are versed in the bis of recruitment interview to advise further on issues raises so far.

Please let us know what they have to say so we can all learn more and be prepared for big breakthroughs in our careers.
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by rafcrown(m): 6:57pm On Aug 21, 2009
Gentlelady,great thanks for the intelligent contributions.You are really great.I have saved your contributions to help me perform well in my next interview.
What i will just advice people is that apart from answering the questions well be
emotionally prepared
well dressed -as officially approved
have confidence
be determined that the job is yours
conduct research about the company
master gentleladys advice as well as other nice contibutions in this forum

Our people are not getting the right job because of many factors.
Thanks to everybody
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by j4steady: 7:17am On Aug 22, 2009
I MUST SAY THANK OU TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO THIS THRED FROM THE POSTER TO GENTLELADY AND EVERYONE HERE,

I NEVER KNEW ALL THESE BEFORE, PLEASE KEEP THIS TYPE OF TREAD COMING
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by Builder: 8:16am On Aug 23, 2009
for more interview tips and answers visit , http://www.businessballs.com/interviews.htm
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by mayrho(m): 9:15am On Aug 24, 2009
I have said it before and am going to say it again Nairaland is full of resources and resourceful people
Thanks guys this is a nice one
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by ubine(m): 10:41am On Aug 24, 2009
Another type of question normaly asked is

HOW MUCH WILL YOU LIKE US TO PAY YOU?

Answer: Make sure you dont mention any amount if you do then you lose the job. You can cay something like
Am sure your company has a standard salary scale for all its workers so am sure i will be ok with it.

Thank you all
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by posakosa(m): 4:13pm On Aug 24, 2009
ubine:

Answer: Make sure you dont mention any amount if you do then you lose the job. You can cay something like
Am sure your company has a standard salary scale for all its workers so am sure i will be ok with it

Thank you all

Very good one. Actually, when I state my salary range, they never call me back because its too high, hahaha! cry cry cry <esp. when I don't know people at the place>

Next time ill be sure to say this.
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by blesdman(m): 8:20pm On Aug 26, 2009
I have learnt alot from this post. Thanks all
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by markemmi(m): 11:21am On Aug 27, 2009
[/quote][quote author=posakosa link=topic=311895.msg4413249#msg4413249 date=1251126784]
Very good one. Actually, when I state my salary range, they never call me back because its too high, hahaha! cry cry cry <esp. when I don't know people at the place>

Next time ill be sure to say this.

well this depends on what industry because for bankers you either go by level or salary range but to be on a safe side you should know what level they are offering and try to find out what is the pay and when they ask you that question you can tell them you are ready to receive what the industry standard is.

Sometimes most company dont pay industry standard. They will put that straight to you. You can tell them you are ok with the level and will take what pay at that level.
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by Gentlesoul1(m): 4:29am On Aug 28, 2009
I have gained a lot from this post, Thanks guys for the educative topics and answers
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by jerryvn01: 4:41pm On Jul 23, 2010
Hi,

Anything is so wonderful. Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.please wait

Tks again and pls keep posting.
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by DoubleN(m): 8:49am On Sep 14, 2010
Very Very Intuitive,i have sure learnt a lot.
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by koolkamzzy(m): 12:48pm On Sep 14, 2010
ubine:

Am sure your company has a standard salary scale for all its workers so am sure i will be ok with it.

Thank you all

Some employers will insist that you state the amount. Like my current place of Work, i think i understated compared to what others are being paid, but mine was better than my coleague who stated less than mine and was paid same. so i think its better to make necesary research about what the company pays, incase the interviewer insist that you state an amount.

1 Like

Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by DoubleN(m): 11:06pm On Sep 14, 2010
I was asked the same question today and was forced to give a figure!
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by missojugo(f): 10:17am On Jan 15, 2013
ubine: Another type of question normaly asked is

Thank you all

I don't agree with you on this. It depends on the COY and sometimes the position and level. I have been part of interview panels where we actually wanted to know how much each interviewee thought he was worth. We pick people who meet all other criteria as well as those who where bold enough to tell us their current package and the minimum they were willing to take. Those that didn't have a clue we didn't bother with. Desperation is not attractive.

Edited: After stating your ideal pay package you however always finish your answer with something like "A pay increase from what i am currently earning with be great, however this job opportunity is more of a career building move than a quest for higher salary. In other words i am open to hear what you have to offer because its not all about the money to me'

1 Like

Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by kingsleyugo41(m): 6:58pm On Jan 30, 2015
Aj
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by Shaakasi(f): 12:15am On Jan 31, 2015
Informative smiley
Re: Tricky Interview Questions That Most Jobseekers Fail To Answer by EngrSirwhite: 8:35am On Jan 31, 2015
Nice piece

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Decode An Invalid N-power Text Message/sms/email / Are There Remote Jobs In Nigeria? / Dear 2016 Applicant, You Are To Partake In The Physical Verification Exercise.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.