Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? (2876 Views)

Surviving A Rightsizing (in A Private Company) In Nigeria / Talent Is Better Than Education / How To Discover Your Talent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by BigStar1(m): 1:50pm On Aug 19, 2009
This is a question I've been asking myself for so many months. But yet I've not found an answer.
What prompt me to ask the question is because of my observation that most of the time i watch TV programes, like am Express on NTA. Once the presenter say she have a talented person in the studio, It's very sure for me that the person is into music.

Do you observe the same thing?

and Can we discuss why?
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by remoranger(m): 3:56pm On Aug 19, 2009
Well its the in thing now
even blokes dat have absolutely no biz holding a mic now do so and belch out a cacaphony of absolute bullshit.
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 3:58pm On Aug 19, 2009
That's true, but even actors hold sway in nigeria too.
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by showbobo(m): 4:02pm On Aug 19, 2009
Me think so too. . . . . . .
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 4:04pm On Aug 19, 2009
Stealing.
Corruption
Women beating ave still surviving too.
The Prostitution on the international level is still doing well too
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Aug 19, 2009
Singing isnt really a talent. There are millions of people in the world who can do better than your average big mouthed Timaya who keeps shouting "Thunder, Fire, and Bazuka", in all his tracks.
Even a parrot can sing. Nigerians are too lazy, and we just rush into anything that's so easy and glamorous.
Sometimes back, it was 419, now that isnt paying alot anymore. Everyone is running into militancy, politics, oil-bunkering, banking and well the idle youths have music. All you need is to convince yourself having a good studio, a nice pair of fair voice, someone connected in Nijeeze, or SoundCity, and you are there.
Its a shame. We are too concerned about the intangibles. Things that could never save or build our nation.
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by lagoshost(m): 4:43pm On Aug 19, 2009
Sometimes, I thing it is. Really I do!
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by stiyke(m): 4:49pm On Aug 19, 2009
aasog:

Singing isnt really a talent. There are millions of people in the world who can do better than your average big mouthed Timaya who keeps shouting "Thunder, Fire, and Bazuka", in all his tracks.
Even a parrot can sing. Nigerians are too lazy, and we just rush into anything that's so easy and glamorous.
Sometimes back, it was 419, now that isnt paying alot anymore. Everyone is running into militancy, politics, oil-bunkering, banking and well the idle youths have music. All you need is to convince yourself having a good studio, a nice pair of fair voice, someone connected in Nijeeze, or SoundCity, and you are there.
[b]Its a shame. We are too concerned about the intangibles. Things that could never save or build our nation.
[/b]

You are right, but what things can build a nation?? note also that the nation provides very frustrating environment, and the youths that sing see it as ventures that are most workable or have low chances of failure in this Jungle.
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by Nezan(m): 5:34pm On Aug 19, 2009
me think so
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by maedan(f): 5:35pm On Aug 19, 2009
aasog:

[i]Even a parrot can sing. Nigerians are too lazy, and we just rush into anything that's so easy and glamorous.[/i]Sometimes back, it was 419, now that isnt paying alot anymore. Everyone is running into militancy, politics, oil-bunkering, banking and well the idle youths have music. All you need is to convince yourself having a good studio, a nice pair of fair voice, someone connected in Nijeeze, or SoundCity, and you are there.
Its a shame. We are too concerned about the intangibles. Things that could never save or build our nation.

This is such an unfair thing to say. We aren't the happiest people for nothing: with all the bad governance, mismanagement of resources and poor image, Nigerians always find a way to smile - and that's what music does for the youths, it makes them happy and that's why they prefer to go into music than "419", kidnapping and armed robbery. Not everyone is into music for cheap fame and fortune. Some derive pleasure from it and enjoy sharing that pleasure with the public. What's lazy about that?

I guess then you'll call Americans lazy because trust me, two out of 5 Americans with access to "a good studio, a nice pair of fair voice etc" are waxing music given half the chance. Watch BET and you'll see that like on Nigezie, Soundcity etc, American youths love the music scene too.
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by adaku123(f): 5:41pm On Aug 19, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Stealing.
Corruption
 U forgot
KIDNAPPING
OTOKOTO [rituals]
DAYLIGHT ARMED ROBBERY grin grin
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by Eaglebabe: 5:50pm On Aug 19, 2009
What do u call song,is it when a line is repeated for God knows how many times and u call it song.As far as l am concerned l have seen no talents in those pple.Anyway we will blame unemployment.Man must wak.
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Aug 19, 2009
Stiyke: You are right, but what things can build a nation?? note also that the nation provides very frustrating environment, and the youths that sing see it as ventures that are most workable or have low chances of failure in this Jungle

[b]There's always a venture. The major needs are there. Education. Health. Shelter. Food. Agriculture. Transportation. Communication. Manufacturing. Power. Finance. Even Spirituality is a great need. And also there's "Inspiration" or counseling. There are several undeveloped sectors within this country that needs intense development. I found my niche which is Engineering & Architecture, and also there's a hobby, and that's writing and music, and I believe I can do better than a great pile of your Nija-super-garbage stars out there. Singing should just be a past-time. Not a national/mass-career like it is now.
Anyways, I am a big Tubaba fan. I love him because he's original. A lot of the bunches in the business are fakes. Even the so called Koko-Master would have been a nobody if not for Don Jazzy whose loud and hypnotic beats he hides his crap and rantings behind. Its because of the likes of him, anyone one who can sing would say, "if a faker like him could make so much money, then I'm in"[/b]

And to maedan:

This is such an unfair thing to say. We aren't the happiest people for nothing: with all the bad governance, mismanagement of resources and poor image, Nigerians always find a way to smile - and that's what music does for the youths, it makes them happy and that's why they prefer to go into music than ,

[b]The happiest people? Hmmm I missed that one. Any proof to that? I thought we were the saddest? You should ask the guys in Niger-Delta how happy they are? Or maybe the people who are jumping boarders to only cross into countries like Libya, where they would only get slaughtered and their useless and ineptitude "Head of Scums" and chicken brain senates and reps doesn't give a shit. You forgetting something about Americans music stars. Most of them had their careers since they were kids. Beyonce, Keri Hilson, Britney, Wyclef, and these are natural prodigies. It's such a meaningful and un-abused industry unlike it is here. I am not coming harshly on Nigerian musicians, I am only buttressing the view of the poster. I mean, today in Nigeria, nearly every youth wants to get into music. Even my girlfriend and some of her friends who are fresh graduates are constantly in the studio wasting their time because its not gonna work, not when you spend more than half a decade studying medicine and putting all your hope into some crappy studio mix, hoping it would flush.
All I'm saying, music shouldn't be a desperate means like it is here. Its something that must come naturally and not forced like 9/10th of the irritating garbage you hear nowadays. Or maybe I'm missing something.[/b]
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by maedan(f): 6:17pm On Aug 19, 2009
Trust me, I wasn't refering to Beyonce and all those megastars, but to the everyday American youth. Every one wants to be the next Kanye West or Neyo or Keri Hilson - just like most Naija girls/guys want to be the next D'banj or Kel. Also, I never said all the music they produce is quality - some of it is copycat and repetitive, but don't you prefer your g.f to be in the studio than hawking herself to the highest bidder to gain the glamour and riches that is now the in-thing in Nigeria?

No one is satisfied anymore with wearing a suit in an office while your boss pushes you around - the fantasy world of the celebrity beckons. There are other talents: writing, fine arts, acting etc - but for now, the music industry is more inviting and easier to break into. Have the basic fee for a few days in the studio, and you're on your way to stardom wink.
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by aquita(m): 6:17pm On Aug 19, 2009
Stealing.
Corruption

Fhemmmmy, are you okay?
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by macIB(m): 6:20pm On Aug 19, 2009
wht else do you want them to do,,,yahoo-yahoo or robbery

let them do something if not good, let them do it becos a idle hand is devil's handiwork
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by slap1(m): 6:46pm On Aug 19, 2009
I disagree,writing is presently giving the country a good international image than music,the hype is just on music. Plus the sponsorships(on music still).
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 8:32pm On Aug 19, 2009
aquita:

Stealing.
Corruption

Fhemmmmy, are you okay?

I am very OK oh
adaku123:

U forgot
KIDNAPPING
OTOKOTO [rituals]
DAYLIGHT ARMED ROBBERY grin grin

yeah i forgot to add that one too
As well, as loud mouth making noise.
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by ibelab(m): 8:36pm On Aug 19, 2009
We aren't the happiest people for nothing: i keep on hearing thesame thing. any prove for that?
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by stmanpule(m): 9:02pm On Aug 19, 2009
there are many expensive talent in the country but to discover them is the major problem. there many gifted writer in this Nigeria and many gifted boxers, footballers,e.t.c
http://librarybookshome..com
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by mecylee(f): 9:20pm On Aug 19, 2009
Big Star:

This is a question I've been asking myself for so many months. But yet I've not found an answer.
What prompt me to ask the question is because of my observation that most of the time i watch TV programes, like am Express on NTA. Once the presenter say she have a talented person in the studio, It's very sure for me that the person is into music.

Infact i too have being thinking of this for a long time, now if you check all the reality show and talent hunt being sponsored by most corporate organisation in this country 95% of them is music and i keek asking is there no other talent that can be descovered in apart from music?
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by mecylee(f): 9:22pm On Aug 19, 2009
Big Star:

and Can we discuss why?

Infact i too have being thinking of this for a long time, now if you check all the reality show and talent hunt being sponsored by most corporate organisation in this country 95% of them is music and i keek asking is there no other talent that can be descovered in apart from music?
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by ezeagu(m): 9:47pm On Aug 19, 2009
I was agreeing with you, but I had to address these points:

aasog:

The happiest people? Hmmm I missed that one. Any proof to that?

There was a study (I think in 2007) that ranked Nigerian citizens as the happiest people among all other nations.

aasog:

You forgetting something about Americans music stars. Most of them had their careers since they were kids. Beyonce, Keri Hilson, Britney, Wyclef, and these are natural prodigies.

A lot of Americans would argue about the bolded being "natural prodigies", these people are all carefully crafted and hyped up media brands. If you don't believe me then check all of the writing credits on their albums and singles.

aasog:

It's such a meaningful and un-abused industry unlike it is here.

I'm really surprised that you called the American music industry meaningful and un-abused, who do you think Nigerian's are copying? Since when did one of the most superficial, elitist and money centered music industries in the world became meaningful?

aasog:

I mean, today in Nigeria, nearly every youth wants to get into music.

America is not the same, is it? undecided

aasog:

All I'm saying, music shouldn't be a desperate means like it is here.

Please check the statistics on youth in the west who actually believe they will be famous in their lives.

Apart from all that I agree with you.
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by playahP(m): 10:00pm On Aug 19, 2009
@ the poster.

MUsic has existed right from when man came to came.
it is a thing of joy for anybody to sing(talented or not) and using it as a career is not a bad idea as long as you enjoy it.

Music as a career is just like any other business, you have to watch the egg till it hatches.
I have worked with a couple of musicians and one thing is common in all of em. GETTING RICH AND ESCAPING POVERTY AND CRIME,

NOTHING CAN SUBSTITUTE MUSIC.
YOU HAVE FUN AND ENTERTAIN OTHERS AT THE SAME TIME.
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by igboboy1(m): 10:25pm On Aug 19, 2009
Let me hear anyone hate on Timaya again. you go chop correct beat,
Person dey channel energy into music upon all the failure of government and u are not happy?
Na when im turn militant dey blow pipelines and kidnap na im u go happy?
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Aug 19, 2009
Music is not the only surviving talent in Nigeria. The Music industry has only been able to expose, upgrade and bring itself to recognised heights, leave impressions and get noticed. It is left for other industries to do the same.

Music itself is pleasurable. I like singing shows. I don't care if they are a million, as far as I hear good voices.

For future reference, don't call D'banj or the likes of him singers, they are simply entertainers.
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by oge4real(f): 12:29am On Aug 20, 2009
No, but it is the easiest way to smile to the Bank.
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by maedan(f): 12:31am On Aug 20, 2009
stillwater:

Music is not the only surviving talent in Nigeria. The Music industry has only been able to expose, upgrade and bring itself to recognised heights, leave impressions and get noticed. It is left for other industries to do the same.

Music itself is pleasurable. I like singing shows. I don't care if they are a million, as far as I hear good voices.

For future reference, don't call D'banj or the likes of him singers, they are simply entertainers.

I don't think anyone here called D'banj a singer - but come to think of it: the guy sings, rhymes, raps and entertains. For future reference, check out his repertoire of songs and you won't be limiting him to being merely an "entertainer". Anyway, this topic was referring to music and musicians; I think D'banj fits that title quite well, don't you? undecided wink
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:52am On Aug 20, 2009
Sorry I have a different idea and meaning of what and who should be called a singer. You have every right to see D'banj as one though.
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by maedan(f): 1:55am On Aug 20, 2009
stillwater:

Sorry I have a different idea and meaning of what and who should be called a singer. You have every right to see D'banj as one though.

Um, ok.
And just when did D'banj's singing become the issue here? Oh yeah, ever since you brought it up.But a singer===>someone who sings. What other definition could there possibly be cheesy? (A rhetorical question; please feel free not to answer)LOL.
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by iammodel(m): 2:04am On Aug 20, 2009
music is not the only talent in naija, but i think the youth are applying the principle of "WHAT EVER WORKS, WORK ON IT."
to me it's not a bad thing, it's a free world afterall, and if the #150 we pay to get their CD can make them rich and stay off crime, why bother? at least they are making money from it. PLS FIND YOUR TALENT SO THAT WE TALK ABOUT YOU SOMEDAY!
Re: Is Music The Only Surviving Talent In Nigeria? by babaowambe: 2:49am On Aug 20, 2009
nothing wrong in being talented in music and sports, but nigerians should be talented in science engineering medicine,astronomy construction, etc. nigerians should be well know in top position in blu chip companies, then nigeria will develop

(1) (2) (Reply)

Credit Risk Management Professional Course and Certification / Ndlea Recruitment 2019 Exercise / Oceanic Bank Is In The News Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.