Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,137 members, 7,845,781 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

Is It Fair For Britain To Still Be Taking 40% Of Nigeria's Crude Oil Revenue? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is It Fair For Britain To Still Be Taking 40% Of Nigeria's Crude Oil Revenue? (4522 Views)

$600m Jets’ Deal Raises US Imports Of Nigeria’s Crude / "Oloibiri" Where Nigeria's Crude Oil Was 1st Discovered And Drilled(photos) / Foreign Refineries To Stop Buying Nigeria’s Crude Oil Due To NDA Attacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Fair For Britain To Still Be Taking 40% Of Nigeria's Crude Oil Revenue? by Nobody: 12:05pm On May 22, 2016
cocoduck:
We should not also overlook the fact that Zik contributed to putting up of Biafra, I also heard he composed the national hymn (not sure though) and contributed a lot of other things, and coveted power for himself but Ojukwu refused to grant him his wishes so he switched sides, he is just an As5 hole.
Lol. Selfishness taken too far. This doesn't sound right. Where exactly or who exactly carried the news?
Re: Is It Fair For Britain To Still Be Taking 40% Of Nigeria's Crude Oil Revenue? by wirinet(m): 12:40pm On May 22, 2016
Ariani:
It was not the British that imposed one Nigeria on us, it was the Igbos. The British gave us the opportunity to go our separate ways during independence, the Hausas and Yorubas were ready to go it alone, but zik and his tribesmen said no,

There was never a time Zik or anyone had the power to disintegrate Nigeria, the British never made the disintegration of Nigeria an option. I find it funny when Yorubas assign mystical power of Nigeria disintegration to Zik.

If you have an independent( not Ibadan press) print evidence of the British ever offering Nigerian regions the option of independent existence, Post it here let me see. This Ibadan propaganda had lasted a lot, it's time it's totally debunked and expunged.

The North wanted to continue under the British rule, they were delaying the independence day, Zik worked to hasten the independence day. How exactly does that equate to Zik having the mystic powers of dividing the British Nigeria.

You lie or are ignorant. The three main parties were given the mandate to negotiate Nigeria's post independence constitution during the 1954 constitutional conference, the AG led by Awolowo and the NPC lead by Balewa proposed that the right of secession should be included in the constitution but NCNC lead by Zik vehemently opposed it and pushed for a tightly bound united / unitary structured constitution.

During a national conference in 1954, the party opposed a call to include the right of secession – a stance which was later exploited by the North and the West to deny the East the right to secede in the Nigerian Civil War. It had argued that the country was not a league of forced nations and it would be ruinous to include such right. The policies of the party, from its inception favored a countenance of determined expression for self-government and nationalism. The major aims of the party taken on subsequent campaigns at home and abroad were as follows.

The extension of democratic principles and advancement of the interest of the people of Nigeria and Cameroons under British mandate.
The imparting of political education to the people of Nigeria in order to prepare them for self-government.
The provision of medium of expression for members of NCNC through which they would endeavor to secure for Nigeria and the Cameroons, political freedom, social equality, religious toleration and economic activity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Council_of_Nigeria_and_the_Cameroons

Whether you accept it or not Zik was instrumental to forcing a one Nigeria on us. And as you are aware, once a marriage takes place, divorce is often a very difficult and painful affair, even with a single couple.

I do not see the feasibility of a country where over 50% of the population will be one tribe, there cries of Marginalization would be 10 times what we have in Nigeria today. How will any other tribe win elective positions - especially the presidency.
Re: Is It Fair For Britain To Still Be Taking 40% Of Nigeria's Crude Oil Revenue? by cocoduck: 12:58pm On May 22, 2016
Reyginus:
Lol. Selfishness taken too far. This doesn't sound right. Where exactly or who exactly carried the news?
One of the people who were there when it was happening.
Re: Is It Fair For Britain To Still Be Taking 40% Of Nigeria's Crude Oil Revenue? by cocoduck: 1:10pm On May 22, 2016
wirinet:

You lie or are ignorant. The three main parties were given the mandate to negotiate Nigeria's post independence constitution during the 1954 constitutional conference, the AG led by Awolowo and the NPC lead by Balewa proposed that the right of secession should be included in the constitution but NCNC lead by Zik vehemently opposed it and pushed for a tightly bound united / unitary structured constitution.

Whether you accept it or not Zik was instrumental to forcing a one Nigeria on us. And as you are aware, once a marriage takes place, divorce is often a very difficult and painful affair, even with a single couple.

I do not see the feasibility of a country where over 50% of the population will be one tribe, there cries of Marginalization would be 10 times what we have in Nigeria today. How will any other tribe win elective positions - especially the presidency.
Yes you are right that Zik was the one who brought this mess, the evidence being also that Nigeria would have gotten independence in 1957 but the north opposed it then zik said he would not allow independence if the north did not partake, them the independence was postponed till 1960, that action provided the Brits all they needed to do what they wanted.
As for a country where a tribe can be 50% population is entirely feasible, even with the minor tribes winning a presidential election, it all depends on the organization of the country, BTW you can not be termed minor when you are in your ancestral compound, it is impossible, but in Nigeria to show you how absurd this country is, it's the norm, a situation where your origin is more important than where you reside is a good recipe for chaos. Your place or residence should be first not place of origin for a country to be united.
Re: Is It Fair For Britain To Still Be Taking 40% Of Nigeria's Crude Oil Revenue? by Ariani: 2:08pm On May 22, 2016
wirinet:

Other than this edited Wikipedia entry. Do you have any valid colonial evidence to prove that secession was ever placed as an option before the regions, by the British.

I want to see a valid colonial document on this, as the era we speak of is in colonial era.
Thanks.
NB: Anybody can edit the Wikipedia.

Zik never forced one Nigeria on any group, Zik didn't command an Army to be able to coerce anyone into the one Nigeria project. Zik sold the one Nigeria project to his peers, and they bought it. They were not coerced nor were they under duress, they reserved the right to reject Zik nationalistic proposal.

For you to go about using the words: " Zik was instrumental to forcing one Nigeria on us", makes for a distortion and mis representation of historical facts.

If the last part of your essayast is in referral to Bia- nation, then you are wrong. Eastern region had over 50% of Igbo population and was still the fastest growing region in the country pre civil war, and also the most peaceful.
Eyo Ita a minority ruled the region, Obong of Calabar was the leader of the Eastern house of chiefs.

Igbos had formed s strong bond with all non Igbo groups of Eastern region through common trade, marriage, traditions and culture that we had a United religion, political ideology and cultural direction, so much that while the western region burnt in wild wild west, and the North was going in flames in Tiv and Jos riots, the East remained peaceful, go figure.

1 Like

Re: Is It Fair For Britain To Still Be Taking 40% Of Nigeria's Crude Oil Revenue? by wirinet(m): 2:29pm On May 22, 2016
cocoduck:
Yes you are right that Zik was the one who brought this mess, the evidence being also that Nigeria would have gotten independence in 1957 but the north opposed it then zik said he would not allow independence if the north did not partake, them the independence was postponed till 1960, that action provided the Brits all they needed to do what they wanted.
As for a country where a tribe can be 50% population is entirely feasible, even with the minor tribes winning a presidential election, it all depends on the organization of the country, BTW you can not be termed minor when you are in your ancestral compound, it is impossible, but in Nigeria to show you how absurd this country is, it's the norm, a situation where your origin is more important than where you reside is a good recipe for chaos. Your place or residence should be first not place of origin for a country to be united.

Please stop playing with semantics, minority in politics or demographics is used strictly in terms of numbers or population, it has nothing to do with ancestral lands. Minority leader in a legislative house does not mean someone without ancestral land, it simply means his party has less members in the house than the opposite party. Likewise a minority in a country simply means their population is minor compared to other demographic groups. American Indians are termed minority in the USA despite they being aboriginal to the land.

Now, tell me what political organization would allow someone from a minority tribe of say 15% of the population to become president of a country in which a particular tribe has 50% in a democracy, especially in Africa with high tribal and religious sentiments? Unless you are proposing some other form of government outside democracy.

1 Like

Re: Is It Fair For Britain To Still Be Taking 40% Of Nigeria's Crude Oil Revenue? by Ariani: 2:37pm On May 22, 2016
wirinet:

Please stop playing with semantics, minority in politics or demographics is used strictly in terms of numbers or population, it has nothing to do with ancestral lands. Minority leader in a legislative house does not mean someone without ancestral land, it simply means his party has less members in the house than the opposite party. Likewise a minority in a country simply means their population is minor compared to other demographic groups. American Indians are termed minority in the USA despite they being aboriginal to the land.

Now, tell me what political organization would allow someone from a minority tribe of say 15% of the population to become president of a country in which a particular tribe has 50% in a democracy, especially in Africa with high tribal and religious sentiments? Unless you are proposing some other form of government outside democracy.

The same political arrangement that made Adaka Boro the Student union president in an Igbo dominated pre war UNN.

The same political arrangement that saw the emergence of Obong of Calabar as the head of the Eastern region house of chiefs, ahead of Igbo traditional chiefs like Eze aro, Eze nri and Obi Nnewi.

Same that allowed a Fulani man to stand elected as the Mayor of Igbo capital city.

You are dabbling into what you know nothing about. I understand that as a Yoruba, inter ethnic politics is hard for you to grasp, seeing as the Yorubas never had to deal with anybody else in day to day living other than their fellow Yoruba people.
Re: Is It Fair For Britain To Still Be Taking 40% Of Nigeria's Crude Oil Revenue? by poiZon: 2:38pm On May 22, 2016
cocoduck:
What the guy siad, is it a lie? is it a lie that the great US cannot intervene in Nigeria without the British consent?
Oh how I wish Trump wins.

so me n u de pray d same prayer....
God will answer our prayers, hypocrisy of the west against republic of either biafra or niger delta will be expose.
Re: Is It Fair For Britain To Still Be Taking 40% Of Nigeria's Crude Oil Revenue? by cocoduck: 2:56pm On May 22, 2016
wirinet:

Then how come did a black man become the US president, he presented himself, right? And ad far as I know blacks are minority in the US, have any of Indians presented himself as Obama did? no I mean tell me one person, I mean American Indians not the Hispanic community, you have to present your self first, BTW Obama's color did not matter, his origin did not matter, it's simply because of the fact the over there state of birth or residence is what they want to know. I remember when a Fulani man was mayor of Enugu, it may be a small thing, but when you are faithful in what is small you equally be faithful in what is great. So it is entirely possible, ie Botswana, 70% of the population is Tswana but have heard of any palaver because so and so person won the presidential election? What I am saying is if Nigerians don't want that then Biafra is inevitable.
Re: Is It Fair For Britain To Still Be Taking 40% Of Nigeria's Crude Oil Revenue? by wirinet(m): 3:10pm On May 22, 2016
Ariani:

The same political arrangement that made Adaka Boro the Student union president in an Igbo dominated pre war UNN.
The same political arrangement that saw the emergence of Obong of Calabar as the head of the Eastern region house of chiefs, ahead of Igbo traditional chiefs like Eze aro, Eze nri and Obi Nnewi.
Same that allowed a Fulani man to stand elected as the Mayor of Igbo capital city.
You are dabbling into what you know nothing about. I understand that as a Yoruba, inter ethnic politics is hard for you to grasp, seeing as the Yorubas never had to deal with anybody else in day to day living other than their fellow Yoruba people.

First, i am not yoruba, you guys need to stop calling anybody that disagrees with your opinion as yoruba. All the examples you gave are pre- civil war Nigeria, i am taking about post civil war Nigeria. In the 1951 federal legislative elections Zip and his NCNC won all the five seats in Lagos, the party also won seven of the eight seats in Ibadan; it won seats in many other towns such as Abeokuta, Oyo, Ife, Ilesha and Oshogbo. So Obong of calabar winning elections in eastern regions house of chiefs or an Ijaw winning student union election in igboland was no big deal then. The problem is today. let a non igbo go to Anambra or Enugu and become the speaker of the house of representatives, let a non Igbo get elected as NAN's president at UNN or even vice counsellor, then i would agree that igbos are not tribalistic as the rest of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Is It Fair For Britain To Still Be Taking 40% Of Nigeria's Crude Oil Revenue? by Horus(m): 3:24pm On May 22, 2016
[size=14pt]WikiLeaks: Oil giant Shell 'more powerful than Nigerian government' and infiltrated every office
[/size]
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1337119/WikiLeaks-Oil-giant-Shell-powerful-Nigerian-government.html
Re: Is It Fair For Britain To Still Be Taking 40% Of Nigeria's Crude Oil Revenue? by Ariani: 3:27pm On May 22, 2016
wirinet:

First, i am not yoruba, you guys need to stop calling anybody that disagrees with your opinion as yoruba. All the examples you gave are pre- civil war Nigeria, i am taking about post civil war Nigeria. In the 1951 federal legislative elections Zip and his NCNC won all the five seats in Lagos, the party also won seven of the eight seats in Ibadan; it won seats in many other towns such as Abeokuta, Oyo, Ife, Ilesha and Oshogbo. So Obong of calabar winning elections in eastern regions house of chiefs or an Ijaw winning student union election in igboland was no big deal then. The problem is today. let a non igbo go to Anambra or Enugu and become the speaker of the house of representatives, let a non Igbo get elected as NAN's president at UNN or even vice counsellor, then i would agree that igbos are not tribalistic as the rest of Nigeria.

You are not as clever as you think you are. Show me Eyo Ita equivalent in the Western region? When Obong of Calabar ruled the Eastern house of chiefs, what was the state of Oba of Bini at the hands of Yoruba Obas? Was he not reduced to a second class traditional ruler in the western region.
Obong of Calabar ruling the Eastern house of chiefs in an Igbo dominated region, ahead of prominent Igbo kings like Eze Nri, Eze Aro , Obi of Onitsha and Obi Nnewi is a big deal, as no minority king in the Western or Northern region occupied same status then.

NCNC Yoruba candidates won posts in the Western region, not their non Yoruba candidates. You must remember that Lagos was administered as a separate region and that NCNC under Macaulay was first a Western party.

Even if the Igbo of today elects a Kanuri man as a governor, you will still sweep it under the rug or try to chalk it up as nothing tomorrow, as you are already attempting to write off the ones they did yesterday, you are a very insincere person.

Even in this modern era, Ndiigbo choose GEJ a non Igbo in 2011, when Northern candidates were offering us the option of being a VP. Nothing stopped Ndiigbo from negotiating with the North for an Igbo VP in 2011 and dumping GEJ. But for the sake of equity and justice, the Igbos stuck with a non Igbo GEJ, even to the end.

I'm yet to see any other Nigerian group that will do such. Do you know how many times Buhari choose an Igbo VP in elections, yet Ndiigbo chose non Igbo PDP candidates over him.

Ndigbo owe you or any naysayers nada, history and posterity speaks for us.
Re: Is It Fair For Britain To Still Be Taking 40% Of Nigeria's Crude Oil Revenue? by Babalegba(m): 3:53pm On May 22, 2016
This kind of thread is a disgrace to the black mans intelligence
Re: Is It Fair For Britain To Still Be Taking 40% Of Nigeria's Crude Oil Revenue? by Nobody: 4:24pm On May 22, 2016
cocoduck:
One of the people who were there when it was happening.
Lol. Okay.
Re: Is It Fair For Britain To Still Be Taking 40% Of Nigeria's Crude Oil Revenue? by Nobody: 4:38pm On May 22, 2016
Babalegba:
This kind of thread is a disgrace to the black mans intelligence
Disgrace to the black man's intelligence? Tell me how.
Re: Is It Fair For Britain To Still Be Taking 40% Of Nigeria's Crude Oil Revenue? by cocoduck: 5:10pm On May 22, 2016
Reyginus:
Lol. Okay.
that is why I put not sure in parentheses
Re: Is It Fair For Britain To Still Be Taking 40% Of Nigeria's Crude Oil Revenue? by Nobody: 5:11pm On May 22, 2016
cocoduck:
that is why I put not sure in parentheses
I understand.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Profile Of Newly Appointed Director-general, FRCN Mr. Mansur Liman / See This White Woman's Tweet About VP Osinbanjo / *ambode's Face-saving Presence At Osun APC Mega Rally: Too Little, Too Late!*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.