Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,228 members, 7,839,208 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:06 PM

10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin (68997 Views)

Daddy Freeze Reacts To Signboard Of 4 Different Churches In The Same Building / Jude Okoye's Comment About 3 Churches In One Building (Photos) / The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by MaxwellD1(m): 9:34am On May 22, 2016
SEVENTH - DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH (Sabbath)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Omoteyi(m): 9:39am On May 22, 2016
Yuppy Christian Assembly no dey? And the founder and General Overseer is Hon Pastor Adedeji Oniponda. Do your research very well before posting next time
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Nobody: 9:43am On May 22, 2016
The list is not comprehensive & I wonder the criteria you engaged in compiling your list. And again, I want to question the integrity of the information you have given about these churches as you erroneously said Christ embassy started in 1990 in UNIBEN campus. Note this vital correction, pst Chris started his ministry on campus in Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma in Edo state. It was formerly called Bendel state university & then Edo state University.
Thank me later.

1 Like

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by linearity: 9:44am On May 22, 2016
Two things still surprises me:

1. Why is Deeper Life Bible Church still been referred to as 'non denominational'? Yes, it started that way, where original members belong to various denominations and only come together weekly for Bible studies, but it is now a full denominational church.

2. Why is Christ Embassy called 'Believers love world'? When Christ himself have commanded believers not to love the world nor the things thereof and that, we are not of the world? He even went further to proclaim that, Satan is the ruller of this world and that, it will be destroyed for the establishment of the new heavens and the new earth. And non of those pronouncements were symbolic or figurative. The name seems to contradict the Bible, anyone who knows the origin of that name should shed some light.

1 Like

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by emmasege: 9:45am On May 22, 2016
OP must have lived in Eastern Nigeria for so long with little or no knowledge of geographical spread of Christian faith across Nigeria. That's why Lord's chosen & Jehovah witness would make the list while ECWA, CAC, Assembly of God etc wouldn't.
And for the records, Baptist faith took off in Amsterdam after some English separatists fled from England following persecution that arose due to their opposing views on certain doctrinal practices of the Church of England e.g. baptism by immersion as against sprinkling of water, baptism when an individual is old enough to understand the meaning as against infant baptism, autonomy of a local church as against a bishop lording it over churches, priesthood of all believers as against priesthood of clergymen only.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by colinz(m): 9:47am On May 22, 2016
The mudafucking OP is just a Rasist.... Proudly C&S....
Presidentseyi:
CAC,TAC,CC,C&S IS NT INCLUDE Y
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by confy22: 9:48am On May 22, 2016
In d order of... after Catholic d next church shud b Lutheran.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Nobody: 9:50am On May 22, 2016
hot9jaman:
you said it all. Catholic church the only church that can be trace to the bible.
There is only one church.
I am proud to be a Catholic.

My guy u have to leave catholic and learn TRUE christianity.... I ll suggest deeper life or Chosen to you...
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by annyz: 9:51am On May 22, 2016
What of OPM > Omega Power Ministry
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by jaytime(m): 9:52am On May 22, 2016
Ellyogun:
I see misinformation everywhere on this post by the op. Christ Embassy didn't start in uniben, it started at ambrose Ali university, ekpoma
I thought I was the only one that saw that. All in all, the post is not well researched. Op should have done better than this. There are many vital info he should have given out concerning those churches he put up there. Besides, how did he get his ranking? There are many churches that should have made that list ahead of some he put there.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by delait: 9:56am On May 22, 2016
Faith tabernacle congregation found by Charles A Rainet from Philadelphia. Headquarter in Nigeria at 119 Azikiwe Road. With branches all over Nigeria, Sururlere,Apapa,Eba estate,Ejigbo.infact history has it that Christ Apostolic church and Apostolic Faith broke away from Faith Tabernacle Congregation.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by tonio2wo: 9:57am On May 22, 2016
excellencyabia1:
Did christ named peter pope?
'on this rock, I build my church'

3 Likes

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by bewla(m): 9:59am On May 22, 2016
Wakins:
Where is foursquare
Ask d cube sugar

any way i like your comment
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by kceewhyte(m): 10:02am On May 22, 2016
Catholic

2 Likes

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Nobody: 10:02am On May 22, 2016
nedufantasy:
Christianity in Nigeria have evolved within a short period of time that it was brought to us by the Europeans through the work of the missionaries.
Here we take a look at some of the popular churches in Nigeria and their origins,if your church is not listed here that doesn't mean its not popular in Nigeria.This list is all for the Glory of God.

1. ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH
The Roman Catholic Church traces its history to Jesus Christ and the Apostles. The first bishop of the church is the bishop of Rome also known as the Pope Saint Peter who was appointed by Jesus Christ to be the head of the church in the New Testament. Catholic Church is also the only church in the world to has its own state in the name of Vatican. The church came to Nigeria in 1885.

2. ANGLICAN CHURCH
The name “ANGLICAN” means “Of England”, but although Anglican Church is seen everywhere in the world. The history of the church is traced back to the sixth century in England, when Pope Gregory the Great sent St Augustine to Britain to organize a more centralized and disciplined apostolic succession to the Celtic Christians. The Anglican Church evolved as part of the Roman Church. It spread worldwide first through Great Britain’s colonization and through English speaking missionaries. Its history in Nigeria dates to 1842.

3. DEEPER LIFE
This church is a non-denominational Christian with its headquarters in Lagos. The General Overseer is Pastor William Kumuyi. It is a holiness Pentecostal church with an emphasis on holy living. In 1973, while lecturing at University of Lagos, Kumuyi started a bible study group with 15 university students. William Kumuyi a former Anglican later joined the Apostolic faith church. In 1975 he was expelled from the church for preaching without credentials. He continued his independent ministry, which in 1982 culminated into Deeper Life Bible Church.

4. JEHOVAH WITNESS
The founder of the Jehovahs witness is Charles Taze Russell, a former haberdasher who founded the International Bible students Association in Pennyslvania in 1872. Russells various publications in 1879 led scores of congregation to form in nearby states. According to the Jehovah witnesses, there is one God and they have insisted he be called Jehovah. They condemn the Trinity as pagan, idolatory and accordingly deny Christ Divinity. Russell even claimed that the Trinity was the idea of the Satan. Ironically, when they baptize, they use the formula “In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy spirit”.

5. CHRIST EMBASSY
Christ Embassy also known as Believers Love World is a mega church founded by Pastor Chris Oyakhlimo in 1990. The formation of the church started in the University of Benin when Pastor Chris was leading a prayer group at the campus. The foundation of the church dates to 1990 in Lagos. The church has churches in many countries of today, having over millions of members.

6. REDEEMED CHURCH
The Redeemed Christian church of God is a church founded in 1952 by Rev Josiah Olufemi Akindayomi. Pastor Enoch Adeboye, a lecturer in Mathematics department at the University of Lagos, who joined the church in 1973 was chosen by Pastor Akindeyomi after he had been involved in several other churches. Adeboye initially became one of the interpreters translating Akindayomi’s sermons from Yoruba to English. He was ordained a pastor of the church in 1975, and his appointment as leaders of the church was formalized by the posthumous reading of Akindayomi’s sealed pronouncement.

7. METHODIST CHURCH
Methodism is a group of historically related denominations of protestant Christianity which gained their inspiration from the life and teachings of John Wesley. Methodist movement spread throughout the British empire, the United states and beyond claiming million believers in the world of today. The church came into Nigeria in 1842.

8. WINNERS CHAPEL
It’s a mega church founded by Bishop David Oyedepo in 1981. The origin of the church can be traced back to May 1981 when Oyedepo had an 18-hour vision from God. In this vision God spoke to liberate the world from all oppressions of the Devil, through the preaching of the word of faith, and I am sending you to undertake this task. Two years later the church was formed with four members.

9. BAPTIST CHURCH
Baptist came into existence in England in the early 17th century. It apparently emerged out of the puritan separatist movement in the church of England. Although there are many account to the origin of the church. Another view has it that the church emanated in Amsterdam back in 1609, with English separatist John Smith as its Pastor. The history in Nigeria is traced back to 1850.

10. LORDS CHOSEN
The founder and General overseer of The Lords Chosen Charismatic Revival Movement is Pastor Lazarus Muoka. Born into a catholic family in Mgbidi in Imo state. In 1975, he moved to Lagos and worked for sometime under a company before starting up his own business. Muoka claimed to have had many dreams from God. In 1994 prompting him to pull out of his former church and set up the Lords Chosen Charismatic Revival Movement. The church which started with few people has gone to become one of the most popular churches in Nigeria.

Source:http://www.nuelsblog.com/2016/05/10-popular-churches-in-nigeria-and.html

Get your facts right Mr, Kumuyi was not expelled from Apostolic Faith Church.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by masseratti: 10:03am On May 22, 2016
Smartsyn:
Op you no mention Celestial, no let the clap and dance on top your head oo
they dont clap in cele, for your info they have the best musical choirs and instrumentalist, most of the instrumentalist you see in other churches have cele background.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Olalekanbanky1(m): 10:04am On May 22, 2016
Presidentseyi:
CAC,TAC,CC,C&S IS NT INCLUDE Y

Don't mind the OP. My beloved TAC no dey Involved?
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by tonio2wo: 10:05am On May 22, 2016
nwasteve:
I see fallacy especially with the first church mentioned. Christ never appointed Peter pope anywhere, remember it's the same Peter that Christ rebuked even to the point of calling him Satan (though He meant that Satan was speaking through him).
It's also clear that all through the Bible that Jesus is the rock and not St Peter.
I know Catholic priests dnt marry but Peter had a family to the point of Christ healing his mother in law
And before d rebuke, how did christ describe peter? Yes, peter had a family, and the early catholic priests had wives. It was an added law that was given by one of the popes for priest to become celibate. Mind you a new or d present pope might decide to change that law. By the way it is a crime to be celibate? Did jesus marry?

3 Likes

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Surestdick(m): 10:11am On May 22, 2016
So MFM is no more a church in Nigeria....SMH
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by zuma4k(m): 10:11am On May 22, 2016
MaxwellD1:
SEVENTH - DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH (Sabbath)
SDA

1 Like

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Roks(m): 10:12am On May 22, 2016
The Anglican Church was founded by King Herny in the 16th century or so (no sure) when the Catholic Church prevented him from taking a second wife after his first was unable to conceive a boy grin grin for more information watch Tudors

1 Like

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Nobody: 10:16am On May 22, 2016
hot9jaman:
you said it all. Catholic church the only church that can be trace to the bible.
There is only one church.
I am proud to be a Catholic.
ya team Catholic for life cool
The number 1

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Nobody: 10:20am On May 22, 2016
driy65:
face the topic abeg...ur hatred for the catholic church might lead you to commit suicide

Oga he said the truth, Jesus didnt make any pop...
Mayb op is a Catholic, because na dem de talk dis kind shit...
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by engreo(m): 10:23am On May 22, 2016
Abeg somebody should help this guy with the history of nigeria churches jare, he knws nothing, abeg teach him something.....olorun oke-oye 1930 da?

1 Like

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Arsenate(m): 10:24am On May 22, 2016
This is funny. Most lists on nairaland should just be tagged "most /best....... in Southern Nigeria" not the whole of Nigeria.
Up north, ECWA along with Catholic is the most popular church.
But what do I know
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by tarekamos: 10:27am On May 22, 2016
greatness22:
Thank God my church is on the list. (winners)

What about Church of God Mission and Assemblies Of God church?

If your church was not mentioned, does that affect your faith? There are many churches in Nigeria being pastored by great men of God. The writer cannot mention all and i do not think he meant to relegate some churches.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by dasparrow: 10:31am On May 22, 2016
@Post

Where is DUNAMIS?
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Immatex(m): 10:39am On May 22, 2016
This OP is spiritually illiterate and a spiritual baby.

1 Corinthians 11:3 speaks to you when it says: But I want you to know that the head of every man is the Christ, in turn the head of a woman is the man, in turn the head of the christ is God'.

That God is deeper spoken of at same 1 Corinthians 15:27, 28 which says: For God subjected all things under his feet. But when he says that 'all things have been subjected', it is evident that this does not include the One who subjected all things to him. But when all things will have been subjected to him, then the Son himself will also subject himself to the One who subjected all things to him, that God may be all things to everyone'.

From these verses read where does trinity come to play?
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by kevoh(m): 10:45am On May 22, 2016
Ten popular christian churches. One so called heaven with all ten claiming sole ownership to the proper way to make this heaven and how to be a TRUE CHRISTIAN. Just check the comment below.
crixtex:

My guy u have to leave catholic and learn TRUE christianity.... I ll suggest deeper life or Chosen to you...
Yet the same Deeper life that he called true christian will rather die than marry his ''fellow true christian'' at Chosen. Jehovah witness will rather die than be led at prayer session or have a prayer session with other true christian denomination. Even within a particular church in simple matters like leadership, there's chaos. Remember Assemblies of God brouhaha? Confusion everywhere! SMH undecided

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by smsshola(m): 10:45am On May 22, 2016
Yuneehk:
The last photo tho.. I know its for the witnesses.

Jehovah witnesess or wh one? Cute pix @ur dp.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by driy65(m): 10:45am On May 22, 2016
Nzeokafor:

Oga he said the truth, Jesus didnt make any pop...
Mayb op is a Catholic, because na dem de talk dis kind shit...
oya go drink gamalin 20 na
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Philadelphia: 10:46am On May 22, 2016
tonio2wo:

'on this rock, I build my church'

Peter was married. How come was he also a pope?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Cardinal Okogie Slams Pastor Adeboye For Building Churches Everywhere / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: It's Not Trump That They Hate, It's You, The Christians / RCCG Lady Renounces Membership Because Of VP Osinbajo. See Reactions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.