Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,259 members, 7,839,311 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 04:41 PM

10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin (69001 Views)

Daddy Freeze Reacts To Signboard Of 4 Different Churches In The Same Building / Jude Okoye's Comment About 3 Churches In One Building (Photos) / The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Themandator: 7:29pm On May 22, 2016
tonio2wo:

Hehehe
Stop twisting what Jesus quoted concerning peter.

Matt 16:17-18
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by tonio2wo: 8:06pm On May 22, 2016
Themandator:

Matt 16:17-18
Ehen? Who was Jesus referring to? And pls read verse 19 too
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Philadelphia: 8:51pm On May 22, 2016
tonio2wo:

Yes he was married, likewise d early popes and priests till one of d popes (dont remember his name now) gave a law that they should all be celibate. Mind you any new pope can change dat law.

Jesus said Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

But in verse 22 and 23, we see that the gates of hell prevailed against Peter.
Proofs that Peter was not a pope neither did Jesus build His church on Peter:
1.) The Apostles sent Peter to Samaria (Acts 8:14) If Peter was the head of the church, would he have been sent or would he be the one sending?
2.) James was the one leading the first council of Jerusalem and not Peter. How could the pope be Peter when James was the one leasing here? Or was James the first pope?
3.) Paul mentioned 3 "pillars" of the church and not one; James, Peter and John Galatians 2:9. Or were the 3 of them popes?

1 Like

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by precem84: 9:46pm On May 22, 2016
You fail to mention apostolic faith founded in year 1904 by mother Crawford in England
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by tonio2wo: 9:46pm On May 22, 2016
Y
Philadelphia:

Jesus said Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

But in verse 22 and 23, we see that the gates of hell prevailed against Peter.
Proofs that Peter was not a pope neither did Jesus build His church on Peter:
1.) The Apostles sent Peter to Samaria (Acts 8:14) If Peter was the head of the church, would he have been sent or would he be the one sending?
2.) James was the one leading the first council of Jerusalem and not Peter. How could the pope be Peter when James was the one leasing here? Or was James the first pope?
3.) Paul mentioned 3 "pillars" of the church and not one; James, Peter and John Galatians 2:9. Or were the 3 of them popes?
What is d meaning of peter's name??
Whether he is d first pope or not, jesus pronounced him d foundation of the church. And you think the way the church is run now is how it was done then?
The apostles all see themselves as equal even the paul whom u mentioned was granted equal authority as the ones that moved with Jesus.
So even as peter was pronounced d foundation or head of the church he did not form boss like 99.99% of today's pastors do, he was as humble as a servant cos thats what his master taught them.

P.S.
So because peter rebuked Jesus that means hell have prevailed upon peter? Funny.
Peter is human! He let his guard down n d devil wanted to use him to derail d salvation plan! Did Jesus say 'get behind me peter' or 'get behind me satan'?
What I learnt from this part is that No matter who u are bishop, pope, pastor, daddy n mummy, general overseer, if u let ur guard down the devil will swoop in.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by masseratti: 10:07pm On May 22, 2016
hefelove:

instrumental kini? for cele? abegii. CAC over cele on instrument. U'll hardly see Cele churches using Violin, Viola, Clarinet, Trobone apart frm normal guiter trumpet drum keyboard and gangan am soo sure of dis
violin and viola in a Nigerian church? common get real, its a choir not an orchestra with a standard theatre, trust me they can handle all those instruments you mentioned and more they dont joke with their music, why do you think they gyrate from morning till evening.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Philadelphia: 10:04am On May 23, 2016
tonio2wo:
Y
What is d meaning of peter's name??
Whether he is d first pope or not, jesus pronounced him d foundation of the church. And you think the way the church is run now is how it was done then?
The apostles all see themselves as equal even the paul whom u mentioned was granted equal authority as the ones that moved with Jesus.
So even as peter was pronounced d foundation or head of the church he did not form boss like 99.99% of today's pastors do, he was as humble as a servant cos thats what his master taught them.

P.S.
So because peter rebuked Jesus that means hell have prevailed upon peter? Funny.
Peter is human! He let his guard down n d devil wanted to use him to derail d salvation plan! Did Jesus say 'get behind me peter' or 'get behind me satan'?
What I learnt from this part is that No matter who u are bishop, pope, pastor, daddy n mummy, general overseer, if u let ur guard down the devil will swoop in

Peter in original Greek means "rolling stone" or "a piece of small stone".

Now carefully read and digest this:
The article in Greek is important. If one noun is in the masculine it must have a mas­culine article, and if it is in the feminine it must have a feminine article. The text under consideration in the Greek shows that petros is in the masculine, and petra in the feminine, proving that they are two distinct words; and each one has a different meaning. Now the question is, on which of the two, petros or petra, did Christ establish His church? Was it on petros, a movable stone, or petra, an immovable rock?

Let us quote the text again: "I say also unto thee [to Peter], That thou art Peter [petros, masculine gender], and upon this Rock [petra, feminine gender] I will build My church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it" (Matt. 16:18). The text indi­cates clearly that the church of Christ is built on petra and not on Petros.

Now, who is this petra or rock on which Christ built His true church? Let the Holy Bible again give the answer. If the Bible gives the answer, we make no mistake in accepting it because the definition is authentic. "They drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock [petra, in the Greek] was Christ" (1 Corinthians 10:4). Here we have evidence that petra refers to Christ, and not to Peter, petros. Again we quote: "Jesus Christ Himself being the chief Cornerstone" (Ephesians 2:20) "He is the Rock, His work is perfect" (Deuteronomy 32:4; 2 Samuel 22:2-3) (Douay, 2 Kings 22:2-3).

If Peter is the rock on which Christ was to build His church, Peter could not be overcome and the gates of hell could not pre­vail against him. But the fact is that he was overcome, and the gates of hell did prevail against him. Didn't he deny his Lord? This was after Christ told him that the Rock was not to be overcome. Jesus told Peter on one occasion: "Get thee behind Me, Satan: thou art an offense unto Me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men" (Matthew 16:23). Peter himself gives the answer as to who the Rock is. He says Jesus is “the Christ, the Son of the living God” (Matt. 16:16). Again, speaking of Christ, he says: "This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders" (Acts 4:10-11); so Christ, the Son of God, must be the rock on which God built His church.

If Jesus would have built His church on Peter, petros, He would have said: "Thou art Petros, and upon this Petros [or upon it] I will build My church," but such is not the case. He plainly says: "Thou art Petros, and upon this petra I will build My church.” Paul tells us that the petra is Christ. He also says, “For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ” (1 Cor. 3:11). Peter is never designated by petra. Thus, Peter and Paul agree that Christ is the Rock; but the pope claims the title for himself. Which testimony should we accept? "Let God be true, but every man a liar" (Romans 3:4).

Long before Jesus was born He was considered the Rock. Isaiah declares: "Therefore thus saith the Lord God, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious cor­nerstone, a sure foundation" (Isaiah 28:16). Peter applies this prophecy to Christ. He wrote: "Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief Cornerstone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on Him shall not be confounded" (1 Peter 2:6). David said: "Lead me to the Rock that is higher than I" (Psalm 61:2) (Douay, Psalm 60:3).

Your word in bold just answered one of the reasons Jesus would not build His Church on any human being that is fallible.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Olumyco(m): 10:25am On May 23, 2016
precem84:
You fail to mention apostolic faith founded in year 1904 by mother Crawford in England

Let me help U fine tune it.

........founded in the year 1906 by Mother Crawford in USA
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Olumyco(m): 10:27am On May 23, 2016
delait:
Faith tabernacle congregation found by Charles A Rainet from Philadelphia. Headquarter in Nigeria at 119 Azikiwe Road. With branches all over Nigeria, Sururlere,Apapa,Eba estate,Ejigbo.infact history has it that Christ Apostolic church and Apostolic Faith broke away from Faith Tabernacle Congregation.

I think U meant to say The Apostolic Church. Apostolic Faith did not break away from Faith Tabernacle. Pls note the difference
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Okoedopickin: 10:37am On May 23, 2016
5. CHRIST EMBASSY
Christ Embassy also known as Believers Love World is a mega church founded by Pastor Chris Oyakhlimo in 1990. The formation of the church started in the University of Benin when Pastor Chris was leading a prayer group at the campus. The foundation of the church dates to 1990 in Lagos. The church has churches in many countries of today, having over millions of members.

The church was formed in the then Bendel State University (Ambrose Alli).
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by tonio2wo: 10:57am On May 23, 2016
Philadelphia:

Peter in original Greek means "rolling stone" or "a piece of small stone".

Now carefully read and digest this:
The article in Greek is important. If one noun is in the masculine it must have a mas­culine article, and if it is in the feminine it must have a feminine article. The text under consideration in the Greek shows that petros is in the masculine, and petra in the feminine, proving that they are two distinct words; and each one has a different meaning. Now the question is, on which of the two, petros or petra, did Christ establish His church? Was it on petros, a movable stone, or petra, an immovable rock?

Let us quote the text again: "I say also unto thee [to Peter], That thou art Peter [petros, masculine gender], and upon this Rock [petra, feminine gender] I will build My church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it" (Matt. 16:18). The text indi­cates clearly that the church of Christ is built on petra and not on Petros.

Now, who is this petra or rock on which Christ built His true church? Let the Holy Bible again give the answer. If the Bible gives the answer, we make no mistake in accepting it because the definition is authentic. "They drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock [petra, in the Greek] was Christ" (1 Corinthians 10:4). Here we have evidence that petra refers to Christ, and not to Peter, petros. Again we quote: "Jesus Christ Himself being the chief Cornerstone" (Ephesians 2:20) "He is the Rock, His work is perfect" (Deuteronomy 32:4; 2 Samuel 22:2-3) (Douay, 2 Kings 22:2-3).

If Peter is the rock on which Christ was to build His church, Peter could not be overcome and the gates of hell could not pre­vail against him. But the fact is that he was overcome, and the gates of hell did prevail against him. Didn't he deny his Lord? This was after Christ told him that the Rock was not to be overcome. Jesus told Peter on one occasion: "Get thee behind Me, Satan: thou art an offense unto Me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men" (Matthew 16:23). Peter himself gives the answer as to who the Rock is. He says Jesus is “the Christ, the Son of the living God” (Matt. 16:16). Again, speaking of Christ, he says: "This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders" (Acts 4:10-11); so Christ, the Son of God, must be the rock on which God built His church.

If Jesus would have built His church on Peter, petros, He would have said: "Thou art Petros, and upon this Petros [or upon it] I will build My church," but such is not the case. He plainly says: "Thou art Petros, and upon this petra I will build My church.” Paul tells us that the petra is Christ. He also says, “For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ” (1 Cor. 3:11). Peter is never designated by petra. Thus, Peter and Paul agree that Christ is the Rock; but the pope claims the title for himself. Which testimony should we accept? "Let God be true, but every man a liar" (Romans 3:4).

Long before Jesus was born He was considered the Rock. Isaiah declares: "Therefore thus saith the Lord God, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious cor­nerstone, a sure foundation" (Isaiah 28:16). Peter applies this prophecy to Christ. He wrote: "Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief Cornerstone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on Him shall not be confounded" (1 Peter 2:6). David said: "Lead me to the Rock that is higher than I" (Psalm 61:2) (Douay, Psalm 60:3).

Your word in bold just answered one of the reasons Jesus would not build His Church on any human being that is fallible.
Bros! Peter means rock or stone.

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Philadelphia: 11:50am On May 23, 2016
tonio2wo:

What's your evidence? If you don't havery any, then you can lookup google
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Philadelphia: 12:22pm On May 23, 2016
tonio2wo:

What do you expect a Catholic to say on this subject matter? To deny that Peter is the foundation or first Pope? No! They would not want to deny it.
Read and keep reading. All your comments show that you don't do any research. I just did one for you. Look at the screen shots.

Screen shot 1:
The founders of "behind the name" (where you mind lifted and screen shot "Peter" from) are Mike Campbell and Tara Campbell (Roman Catholics). They are roman catholics.

Screen shot 2,3,4 & 5:
Evidence that Tara Campbell grew up in a Catholic school where she attended. It further proves that she is a Catholic as she serves in a Catholic church.

Download her full bio from here:
http://media.wix.com/ugd/7af27b_75f1e355785840aaa2312710bf5f4a59.pdf

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by ItzChinnex(m): 12:23pm On May 23, 2016
oluwafemim:

Never mean to fight you but from what you wrote , we know you. Satanic agent.

OK.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Philadelphia: 12:30pm On May 23, 2016
Her husband also is a roman Catholic.

Or do you want me to do more research on Mike Campbell for you?
I doubt if you would like what I would find on him.

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Philadelphia: 12:46pm On May 23, 2016
Let me spoon-feed you @onio2wo

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Philadelphia: 12:48pm On May 23, 2016
More

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by excellencyabia1: 8:20pm On May 24, 2016
tonio2wo:

'on this rock, I build my church'
where is the pope
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Ubenedictus(m): 9:21pm On May 24, 2016
nwasteve:
I see fallacy especially with the first church mentioned. Christ never appointed Peter pope anywhere, remember it's the same Peter that Christ rebuked even to the point of calling him Satan (though He meant that Satan was speaking through him).
It's also clear that all through the Bible that Jesus is the rock and not St Peter.
I know Catholic priests dnt marry but Peter had a family to the point of Christ healing his mother in law
Who did Jesus tell 'i will give u d keys of d kingdom'?

and there are married catholic priest.

1 Like

Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Ubenedictus(m): 9:45pm On May 24, 2016
Philadelphia:

What do you expect a Catholic to say on this subject matter? To deny that Peter is the foundation or first Pope? No! They would not want to deny it.
Read and keep reading. All your comments show that you don't do any research. I just did one for you. Look at the screen shots.

Screen shot 1:
The founders of "behind the name" (where you mind lifted and screen shot "Peter" from) are Mike Campbell and Tara Campbell (Roman Catholics). They are roman catholics.

Screen shot 2,3,4 & 5:
Evidence that Tara Campbell grew up in a Catholic school where she attended. It further proves that she is a Catholic as she serves in a Catholic church.

Download her full bio from here:
http://media.wix.com/ugd/7af27b_75f1e355785840aaa2312710bf5f4a59.pdf
So a catholic cant speak d truth? why then shuld a catholic blive a protestant?
That she is catholic doesnt nullify her point.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Philadelphia: 3:00am On May 25, 2016
Ubenedictus:
So a catholic cant speak d truth? why then shuld a catholic blive a protestant?
That she is catholic doesnt nullify her point.

When it's not in line with the bible, then it's not "Truth".
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by tonio2wo: 8:12am On May 25, 2016
excellencyabia1:
where is the pope
In Rome!
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by tonio2wo: 8:16am On May 25, 2016
Philadelphia:
Let me spoon-feed you @onio2wo

Am lost, what has this got to do with what we are arguing about?
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Ubenedictus(m): 9:10am On May 25, 2016
Philadelphia:

When it's not in line with the bible, then it's not "Truth".
What truth? who did Jesus tell 'i will give u the keys to the kingdom'? is dat not inline with d bible
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Philadelphia: 10:56am On May 25, 2016
tonio2wo:

Am lost, what has this got to do with what we are arguing about?

I'm not arguing with you. Rather I'm discussing the scriptures with you.

You are yet to reply my comments on those screen shots.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Philadelphia: 11:04am On May 25, 2016
Ubenedictus:
What truth? who did Jesus tell 'i will give u the keys to the kingdom'? is dat not inline with d bible

Read this: "KJV John 20
23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained."

If you still don't understand this in line with your question, then pray for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Ubenedictus(m): 11:14am On May 25, 2016
Philadelphia:

Read this: "KJV John 20
23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained."

If you still don't understand this in line with your question, then pray for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit.
HAHAHA? So u cant answer my question? who was Jesus given d keys to?
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Philadelphia: 11:31am On May 25, 2016
Ubenedictus:
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Philadelphia: 11:32am On May 25, 2016
Ubenedictus:

I'm not surprised you can't see the answer to your question in the response I gave you. Enjoy en with the bible text. That's why I asked you to pray for the Holy Spirit to give you discernment. Sorry Bro, you just laughed at yourself as the joke is on you. grin
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Ubenedictus(m): 11:41am On May 25, 2016
Philadelphia:

I'm not surprised you can't see the answer to your question in the response I gave you. Enjoy en with the bible text. That's why I asked you to pray for the Holy Spirit to give you discernment. Sorry Bro, you just laughed at yourself as the joke is on you. grin
So who was given d keys?
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by tonio2wo: 12:52pm On May 25, 2016
Philadelphia:

I'm not arguing with you. Rather I'm discussing the scriptures with you.

You are yet to reply my comments on those screen shots.
Ok discussion, but I dont understand wat the screen shots mean.
Re: 10 Popular Churches In Nigeria And Their Origin by Philadelphia: 4:05pm On May 25, 2016
tonio2wo:

Ok discussion, but I dont understand wat the screen shots mean.

Go through them again.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Cardinal Okogie Slams Pastor Adeboye For Building Churches Everywhere / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: It's Not Trump That They Hate, It's You, The Christians / RCCG Lady Renounces Membership Because Of VP Osinbajo. See Reactions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.