Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,328 members, 7,954,323 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:40 PM

My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll (4549 Views)

Buhari Stole N2.8 Billion As Oil Minister– Alison Madueke / Bank Fraud: 3 Ecobank Employees Steal N2.8 Million From Customers’ Accounts / “buhari Was Accused Of N2.8 Bln Scam As Oil Minister” – Madueke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by KnowAll(m): 11:57am On Aug 20, 2009
My N2.8 million banking stock is now worth N300,000 at the last valuation exercise I carried out about 5 months ago, before  I was banned and advised by my doctor to stop such exercise because of the irregular palpitation I get each time I am engrossed in the analysis and permutations.

With the recent sackings and removals of the top dogs in our supposedly capitalised and credit crunch resistant banks,  my already depleted stocks have finally taken that dreaded upper-cut that I dreamt about some 11 months ago which I dismissed as a middle age anxiety problem.

Yesterday I finally succumb to two natures, the nature of dis-embowelling and the nature and reality of the present banking crisis. By heeding to the call of nature I decided to use some of my share certificate as an alternative to toilet roll knowing fully well it will take the return of Christ for these stocks to perform as done in the past I might however be proved wrong again.

I however kept one share certificate under lock and key, knowing that in the country I come from people take care of their own, also armed with the fact that the new CBN’s helms man was a former First Bank executive, his premature baby which is First Bank share will not be left to die an untimely death, rather it will be allowed to succour to the mother’s breast until when she is independent both in strength and in maturity.

My permutations might however be wrong again( never been good at predicting things ) but we wait to see if lady luck will change for once this time.
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by MrCrackles(m): 11:58am On Aug 20, 2009
Topic
shocked shocked shocked
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by Nobody: 12:09pm On Aug 20, 2009
why do you think they say some people are millionaires on paper - until you actually sell those shares , they aren't real money

pele , OP
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by tboy1(m): 12:12pm On Aug 20, 2009
I've currently got 4 banks in my portfolio
- Ecobank
- Sterlnbank
- Intercont
- FirstBank

and im sure if you use your current analysis you know where both in the same boat
Im not even going to bother touchin it because i prefer it to goes to 0 than for me to sell it at the current price im seein. I know they'll get worse for now but will definitely pick up later
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by Jakumo(m): 12:25pm On Aug 20, 2009
I may be missing the point here Knowall, but if you reside in the UK for most of the year, why on earth, pray tell, are you risking your hard earned in Nigeria, of all places.  I suspect that you must enjoy pain at a subconscious level, to have made such a horrifying choice of your own free will

If that Kamikaze investment plan arose because you got weary of singing the Taxman Blues in the UK, perhaps I need to remind you that Zurich, Geneva and Lichtenstein are all within a day's round trip from Heathrow, and so long as your money is clean and not stained, your affairs will be handled with dispatch and discretion in any of those nearby friendly havens.

For retaining a sense of humor even as the ship of your African investments sideswipes an iceberg, I have decided to waive my customary consultancy fee for this unsolicited advice.

2 Likes

Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by Ibime(m): 12:35pm On Aug 20, 2009
Jakumo:

I may be missing the point here Knowall, but if you reside in the UK for most of the year, why on earth, pray tell, are you risking your hard earned in Nigeria, of all places. I suspect that you must enjoy pain at a subconscious level, to have made such a horrifying choice of your own free will

grin grin grin
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by KnowAll(m): 12:45pm On Aug 20, 2009
I may be missing the point here Knowall, but if you reside in the UK for most of the year, why on earth, pray tell, are you risking your hard earned in Nigeria, of all places.  I suspect that you must enjoy pain at a subconscious level, to have made such a horrifying choice of your own free will

If that Kamikaze investment plan arose because you got weary of singing the Taxman Blues in the UK, perhaps I need to remind you that Zurich, Geneva and Lichtenstein are all within a day's round trip from Heathrow, and so long as your money is clean and not stained, your affairs will be handled with dispatch and discretion in any of those nearby friendly havens.

For retaining a sense of humor even as the ship of your African investments sideswipes an iceberg, I have decided to waive my customary consultancy fee for this unsolicited advice.

My investment were of 2 fold.

During the OBJ years Lagos was positioning itself's as the next financial hub in Africa, stocks were growing at astronomical rate, landed property was also growing at rate not seeing in the west, money men all over the world took notice,  Since I missed out  in the Lekki land grab of the late 1990's I vowed that this was not going to pass me by.

2. Secondly it was a bet which I had with a friend, in which I insisted that with an initial investment of N1 million Naira one could be N99 Million richer within 18 months in Nigeria. (Dont forget Nigeria have a great dis-regard for rules and regulations. )
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by blacksta(m): 12:55pm On Aug 20, 2009
Abeg bros

I need some toilet roll - I don run out. u mentioned u have 300,000 pieces.
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by KnowAll(m): 1:01pm On Aug 20, 2009
I need some toilet roll - I don run out. u mentioned u have 300,000 pieces.

Sorry bros, na only First Bank remain, and I am holding dearly to it.
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by GEW: 1:02pm On Aug 20, 2009
Jakumo:

I may be missing the point here Knowall, but if you reside in the UK for most of the year, why on earth, pray tell, are you risking your hard earned in Nigeria, of all places.  I suspect that you must enjoy pain at a subconscious level, to have made such a horrifying choice of your own free will

hope this really help you.  you get 4X whatever you get in the UK from nigeria and 3X from ghana. if you have any good 9 to 10 figures to invest for upto 12months in ordinary deposit you can get 12 - 15% return. we are talking straight no risk here.

if the nigeria share trading system was secure ( by which i mean not subject to manipulations) and you know how to play the market it is a better market to invest in nigeria than the uk cos u get more for your money

qas for the offshore places you mentioned sorry you cant use them no more and be exempt from taxes in the UK.  yon can legitimately do nigeria if you retain naijas passport.  ghana is already doing some offshore trading too. i wont trust nigeria with it
KnowAll:

I may be missing the point here Knowall, but if you reside in the UK for most of the year, why on earth, pray tell, are you risking your hard earned in Nigeria, of all places.  I suspect that you must enjoy pain at a subconscious level, to have made such a horrifying choice of your own free will

During the OBJ years Lagos was positioning itself's as the next financial hub in Africa, stocks were growing at astronomical rate, landed property was also growing at rate not seeing in the west, money men all over the world took notice,  Since I missed out  in the Lekki land grab of the late 1990's I vowed that this was not going to pass me by.

2. Secondly it was a bet which I had with a friend, in which I insisted that with an initial investment of N1 million Naira one could be N99 Million richer within 18 months in Nigeria. (Dont forget Nigeria have a great dis-regard for rules and regulations. )

jokes aside naija is a good place to invest.  explore ghana too cos you get 100% tax free if you have UK papers
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by candylips(m): 1:13pm On Aug 20, 2009
@topic.

why don't u just wipe your ass after goin to the toilet with your current balance
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by Jakumo(m): 1:14pm On Aug 20, 2009
[
KnowAll:

During the OBJ years Lagos was positioning itself's as the next financial hub in Africa, stocks were growing at astronomical rate, landed property was also growing at rate not seeing in the west, money men all over the world took notice,  Since I missed out  in the Lekki land grab of the late 1990's I vowed that this was not going to pass me by.

2. Secondly it was a bet which I had with a friend, in which I insisted that with an initial investment of N1 million Naira one could be N99 Million richer within 18 months in Nigeria. ([size=14pt]Dont forget Nigeria have a great dis-regard for rules and regulations.[/size] )

I admire your can-do courage and pioneering spirit, Knowall, for I would only ever invest in Nigeria if it were someone else's money getting sucked into the black hole, and if I stood to pull down a nice commission for the misdirection.

[b]Know[/b]ing what you do now, and looking over your current portolio with 20-20 hindsight, are you likely to be seduced again in the future by impossible sounding profit margins hawked by Nigerians ?
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by tboy1(m): 1:14pm On Aug 20, 2009
blacksta:

Abeg bros
I need some toilet roll -  I don run out.  u mentioned u have 300,000 pieces.
grin grin grin
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by Nobody: 1:27pm On Aug 20, 2009
Jakumo:

[
I admire your can-do courage and pioneering spirit, Knowall, for I would only ever invest in Nigeria if[b] it were someone else's money getting sucked into the black hole[/b], and if I stood to pull down a nice commission for the misdirection.

[b]Know[/b]ing what you do now, and looking over your current portolio with 20-20 hindsight, are you likely to be seduced again in the future by impossible sounding profit margins hawked by Nigerians ?

what do you ibru and co were sponsoring - peeps were buying shares with other people's (depositors) money
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by KnowAll(m): 1:34pm On Aug 20, 2009
Knowing what you do now,  and looking over your current portolio with 20-20 hindsight, are you likely to be seduced again in the future by impossible sounding profit margins hawked by Nigerians ?

Since I missed out  in the Lekki land grab of the late 1990's I vowed that this was not going to pass me by.

I was privvy to the above information above, a friend bought 4 pieces of Land in lekki around 1996/ 97 for N2 million Naira, only to sell them for N20 million in less than 6 years.

To see that kind of investment as a rudimentary investment and not a mouth watering prospect to make a fast buck is to close one’s eyes, mind and instinct as a entrepreneur and a business person to what is clearly a money making machine without the added problem and hassle of paying capital gains tax to the authorities as it obtains in the west.
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by nex(m): 1:53pm On Aug 20, 2009
I don't know why people like thinking withing a carton.

When Soludo was telling banks to give loans without collateral to people so they could in turn buy the banks' shares, I said that was silly. But it made sense to everyone else.

When First Bank shares rose from N25 to N30, I was happy. But when it started getting to N50, I begged everyone who had their shares to sell. Not that First Bank wasn't doing well. That is my bank. They're okay. Very old school but practical, yet I had not seen the value of First Bank as and institution double in value, the quality of their service had not improved 2 fold, why was their share value going up.

After 6 months of studying the stock market I called my brother one day in his parlour and told him to sell all the shares I had in his Bank. I was a big quarrel because he thought I was stupid to be selling when the market was just beginning to become very profitable. But I had to sell because I cannot have shares in a bank that will not give me a loan equivalent to the value of my shares. I cannot have shares in a bank whose major activity is round tripping of dollars. I cannot have shares in a bank that rebrands without due consultation with me. I cannot have shares in a bank that sends me an invitation to their AGM after it has been held. I cannot have shares in a bank whose major shareholder is a European bank that has secretly transferred millions of dollars to the MD as personal holdings. I cannot have shares in a bank that had virtually remained the same yet their share price has quadrupled. A bank that advertises on CNN with money it doesn't have.

I sold my shares in GTB and spent the money lavishly. Today, I thank God for that.

Sterling Bank, Wema Bank, Unity Bank. Just look at them. Even though they may not be as big as Oceanic and Intercontinental, they managed to weather this thing by barely keeping to the rules. But very soon if they don't change, States' money will not continue to save them.
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by KnowAll(m): 2:03pm On Aug 20, 2009
I have a feeling that by the time all this storm over the banking crisis blows over, Nigeria will be down to about 6 big banks. Even the UK that have an economy more than 20 times larger than the Nigerian economy has probably about 6 or 7 really Big Banks.
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by Kobojunkie: 2:20pm On Aug 20, 2009
Jakumo:

I may be missing the point here Knowall, but if you reside in the UK for most of the year, why on earth, pray tell, are you risking your hard earned in Nigeria, of all places. I suspect that you must enjoy pain at a subconscious level, to have made such a horrifying choice of your own free will

The GET RICH QUICK SYNDROME. Many believe it is EASIER to make money in Nigeria than anywhere else. Why sit for 0.5% interest in Europe when you can double your money in a matter of minutes by playing the Nigerian market. Isn' t that the Nigerian way?? Roflmao!!!
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by nex(m): 2:37pm On Aug 20, 2009
Let me introduce you to one of the principles of my Jaguda Economics:

"Beer Bares the Bears".

Put simply, when you invest in the largest alcoholic beverage producer in your country, by comparing the value of its shares with those of other companies, you will see the stocks that are really doing good and those that are just fronting.

The share price of the largest alcoholic beverage company only dips when the country's economy is in real trouble. Only.

When the times are good, we drink beer. When the times are bad, we drink beer. When the times are just the times, we still drink beer. Only when the money is not there at all that it tells on the beer. So when you see those shares that rise above Nigerian Breweries shares, then they later fall back, It's all just drama. When you see the shares that rise at a proportion to the rise in Nigerian Breweries and fall in proportion to it, all other things being constant, then you know these businesses are solidly rooted in the economy and really reflecting the realities on ground.

So the beer will expose those bears that pose as bulls.

Nigerians won't buy a plate of "amala" from a restaurant for N50 last month and buy same for N100 this month without noticeable improvement on the quantity, quality or taste. Why do we buy shares of companies more expensively when there's hardly any improvement in the companies themselves.

Some Nigerians even have shares of companies that have packed up and they are still trading the shares. Nigerians I bow to you O!

Some people are ready to buy Nitel shares at N20 if they start selling today. I just can't understand it.
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 20, 2009
I don't even bother myself anymore.
I have decided not to think about what I have in shares and stock.
Instead, i'm buying more and more.

If you dey look for person wey go buy shares including your own, lemme know sharp sharp
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by KnowAll(m): 3:05pm On Aug 20, 2009
I don't even bother myself anymore.
I have decided not to think about what I have in shares and stock.
Instead, i'm buying more and more.

If you dey look for person wey go buy shares including your own, lemme know sharp sharp

Well it is too late my friend, the share certificate is somewhere in the sucker-way, the stock where 16,000 Oceanic Bank stock bought for N16.00 has be trading at N8.00 throughout this year, and now this sacking, I doubt whether this bank will be around next year.

7,000 UBA Stocks bought N35.00 under performing through out the year (below N15.00 ) will be used to wipe my ar*e next after exhausting Oceanic Paper work.

And finally my 25000 First Bank Stocks my holy grail and saviour (Handle with care ) the one that will supersede any loss incurred in the other stocks bought at N33.00 I have just giving it to my bank manager for safe keeping. My faith is on Mr Sanusi on this, at least we have something in common.
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by Ibime(m): 3:09pm On Aug 20, 2009
nex:

Let me introduce you to one of the principles of my Jaguda Economics:

"Beer Bares the Bears".

Put simply, when you invest in the largest alcoholic beverage producer in your country, by comparing the value of its shares with those of other companies, you will see the stocks that are really doing good and those that are just fronting.

The share price of the largest alcoholic beverage company only dips when the country's economy is in real trouble. Only.

When the times are good, we drink beer. When the times are bad, we drink beer. When the times are just the times, we still drink beer. Only when the money is not there at all that it tells on the beer. So when you see those shares that rise above Nigerian Breweries shares, then they later fall back, It's all just drama. When you see the shares that rise at a proportion to the rise in Nigerian Breweries and fall in proportion to it, all other things being constant, then you know these businesses are solidly rooted in the economy and really reflecting the realities on ground.

So the beer will expose those bears that pose as bulls.

Nigerians won't buy a plate of "amala" from a restaurant for N50 last month and buy same for N100 this month without noticeable improvement on the quantity, quality or taste. Why do we buy shares of companies more expensively when there's hardly any improvement in the companies themselves.

Hence the NGSE should track the price of beer at all times!

I like this analysis  grin

Beer no be growth sector sha. Na defensive sector. Naija man no dey like return wey no be tenfold.  grin

I have always told ma peeps to only hold IPOs for 6 months, cos anyone could recognise the bubble effect in the charts. . . the bubble effect that we now know was caused by banks lending money to debtors, just to buy the same banks shares. . . . sounds like a keynesian stimulus for banks right?

Even a fool can see that the initial rise after any IPO was a bubble caused by wild-west speculators. Just a month after the initial rise, the thing stopped rising kpatakpata, thanks to the nigerian mentality of "buy and hold" which renders the market illiquid.
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by nex(m): 3:47pm On Aug 20, 2009
@Ibime

you have just mentioned two of the main things that are killing the banking sector and all their shares. Loans to buy shares and Speculators.

@OMO IBO

Please stop buying those shares. I bet you have not heard of the kid that lost a billion dollars. That young man collapsed one of the oldest and strongest financial institutions in the UK. Even Queen Elizabeth lost money when Barrings sent one young stock broker with the "special investment eye" to go to Asia and buy stocks. When the collapse of the Asian stock market started, this guy believed in the rise of the market so much that he continued asking for more money from the parent company in England and kept on buying. When other investors were crying, he was eagerly buying off their shares knowing fully well that the economy of Asia was a rising one that would continue to rise. To an extent, he was right in the long run, but in the short run, he was very wrong. He made useless more than 700 million pounds.

The mistake he made was underestimating the power of the media to cause panic among investors thereby bringing total collapse to companies that would have otherwise weathered the storm. So my friend, take it easy with you buy, buy. You're not the first optimist.
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by Ibime(m): 4:03pm On Aug 20, 2009
nex:

@OMO IBO

Please stop buying those shares. I bet you have not heard of the kid that lost a billion dollars. That young man collapsed one of the oldest and strongest financial institutions in the UK. Even Queen Elizabeth lost money when Barrings sent one young stock broker with the "special investment eye" to go to Asia and buy stocks. When the collapse of the Asian stock market started, this guy believed in the rise of the market so much that he continued asking for more money from the parent company in England and kept on buying. When other investors were crying, he was eagerly buying off their shares knowing fully well that the economy of Asia was a rising one that would continue to rise. To an extent, he was right in the long run, but in the short run, he was very wrong. He made useless more than 700 million pounds.

The mistake he made was underestimating the power of the media to cause panic among investors thereby bringing total collapse to companies that would have otherwise weathered the storm. So my friend, take it easy with you buy, buy. You're not the first optimist.

I believe you are talking Nick Leeson. He wasnt buying shares, he was purchasing options using a high risk short-straddle technique. No one even knew how much he was spending. Thanks to him, the middle office was created to countercheck what the back-office guys are doing.
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by nex(m): 4:19pm On Aug 20, 2009
@Ibime

Thank you jare. Nick Leeson.
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by AloyEmeka6: 4:28pm On Aug 20, 2009
Sorry mate, nothing is assured in life. I also have Oceanic, Zenith, Dangote flour and sugar, Unionbank and first bank. I sold part of my Zenith some 3 years ago to buy Oceanic . All in all, I do not have more than N2M invested in stocks and have never checked their value up till this day. I see guys checking their stocks everyday and it makes no sense to me. I intend to leave mine for about 20 years and do not bank on them. After all, America and the rest of the world suffered the same fate last year, so why is our own coming as a big shock?
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by Moves: 4:31pm On Aug 20, 2009
KnowAll , take heart, u r not alone in this situation, this things happen, In Stock investment you win some you lose some, And it is not only in nigeria, the financial world has been in tumoil, even lehman brothers collapsed, Just hoping that justice is served and those who are found culpable punished
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by Benjacky: 4:41pm On Aug 20, 2009
It still not a bad idea to buy GTB, Ist Bank and UBA if you are long time investor.
Things will never be worse than as it is now.
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by BAC: 4:43pm On Aug 20, 2009
You are all burnt again. Is a pity oooo
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by bmagic: 4:47pm On Aug 20, 2009
next tyme contact ur mom or dad or even ur wife be4 making such strong deposit, fi le won ti ge lo tongue grin shocked
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by touchmeder: 4:58pm On Aug 20, 2009
nex:

Some Nigerians even have shares of companies that have packed up and they are still trading the shares. Nigerians I bow to you O!

Some people are ready to buy Nitel shares at N20 if they start selling today. I just can't understand it.

you have spoken very well. food for thought
Re: My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll by nex(m): 5:08pm On Aug 20, 2009
@Benjacky

don't buy anything right now. DO NOT BUY RIGHT NOW! Even if you're Adam Smith, don't.

@touchmeder

thanks a lot. You know since the bankers have told us we know not what they learnt in Harvard, we've decided to use the analogy we learnt on the streets. So who being sacked now? Who's running away from the EFCC? Definitely not me.

(1) (2) (Reply)

ISIS Burns Down 1,800 Year Old Christian Church In Mosul / #bringbackourgirls Campaign Will mark 100days Of The Missing Girls World Wide. / See Leaked Text Message Between President Goodluck And Jega

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.