Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,231 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:13 AM

Reason Why Tomatoes Are Very Expensive - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reason Why Tomatoes Are Very Expensive (1384 Views)

"Basket Of Tomatoes Is N25k In Lagos" - Moremi Ojudu, Daughter Of Buhari's Aide / Nigerian Lady Meets With Hillary Clinton At An Expensive Hotel In The US. Pics / Breaking News!!! See The Very Expensive Shoe That Buhari Is Wearing! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reason Why Tomatoes Are Very Expensive by Sodeeqstar: 12:26pm On May 24, 2016
The Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir el-Rufai on Monday revealed that 80 percent of the tomato produced in the state had been ravaged by pests and diseases, leading to serious scarcity. Specifically, the governor declared a state of emergency in tomato production in the state, saying all hands must be on deck to combat various pests and diseases ravaging tomato. A species of moth attacks the leaves of tomato to cause a disease condition called ‘Tuta Absoluta’. The larva produced by the moth feed voraciously upon tomato plants, causing a yield loss of 100%. El-Rufai said tomato had been destroyed in three local government of the state with a loss of N1bn monthly.

The governor spoke through his Commissioner for Agriculture, Dr. Manzo Maigari. He said some officials of the state ministry of agriculture had been sent to Kenya in order to learn how to combat the menace, adding that over 200 farmers had lost tomato produce to pests and diseases. “I want to say that Governor Nasir el-Rufai has declared a state of emergency in tomato production in the state.

This is as a result of the invasion of the crop by a pest botanically known as ‘Tuta Absoluta’. “It is so severe that even Dangote, who has established a tomato processing plant in Kano, had to shut down production [temporarily]," he added.

Source:- http://sodeeqstar..com/2016/05/reason-why-tomatoes-are-very-expensive.html
Re: Reason Why Tomatoes Are Very Expensive by Nobody: 1:13pm On May 24, 2016
I think Dangote opened a new tomato paste factory in the north and told farmers he will pay cash to them if they bring their harvests to his factory. Its cheaper to supply to him than sell elsewhere. My theory though

3 Likes

Re: Reason Why Tomatoes Are Very Expensive by kayfra: 1:18pm On May 24, 2016
nwanna89:
I think Dangote opened a new tomato paste factory in the north and told farmers he will pay cash to them if they bring their harvests to his factory. Its cheaper to supply to him than sell elsewhere. My theory though

He just closed operations due to the aforementioned tomato disease.
Re: Reason Why Tomatoes Are Very Expensive by Mathemagician1(m): 1:54pm On May 24, 2016
Did pests and diseases destroy rice too?

Did pests and diseases destroy the economy?

Is pests and disease the cause of the rising unemployment?

I normally don't join issues with you political people but you guys need to stop talking nonsense. Pest and diseases cannot attack all the tomato farms in Kano, Kaduna, Jos, Bauchi and even neighbouring Chad and Niger all at once.

It's a lack of policy direction from the incumbent Government that has destroyed the tomato market, rice market and all other commodity market in Nigeria.

Once again, I urge you to stop talking s*it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reason Why Tomatoes Are Very Expensive by pat077: 2:20pm On May 24, 2016
Na buhari badluck cause ham.

3 Likes

Re: Reason Why Tomatoes Are Very Expensive by dake40(m): 2:24pm On May 24, 2016
Will there be scarcity if every state takes agriculture serious?. Small time, people go dey blame government. Nigerians have boycotted agriculture and i can beat my chest, "Its the main reason for Nigeria economic setback"
Re: Reason Why Tomatoes Are Very Expensive by dustmalik: 3:09pm On May 24, 2016
nwanna89:
The factory has been shut down indefinitely due to this ailing tomato issue.
Re: Reason Why Tomatoes Are Very Expensive by qualityalone: 4:08pm On May 24, 2016
oh God help us. since that dullard called Booharii entered power it has been one problem after another. How did we even get here :-

1 Like

Re: Reason Why Tomatoes Are Very Expensive by pipeewa(m): 4:18pm On May 24, 2016
qualityalone:
oh God help us. since that dullard called Booharii entered power it has been one problem after another. How did we even get here :-

That may not be the reason just that fall in price of oil which is our main source of income has led way to another. Wish Buhari well so it can be well for all of us.

(1) (Reply)

The Stupidity Of The Biafran Question / Tribunal Takes STRONG Decision Against Edo Governor-elect Godwin Obaseki / Commotion As PDP Faction Executes ‘coup’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.