Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,243 members, 7,818,829 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:12 AM

Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded (25982 Views)

Lagos-Badagry Expressway Collapses! Motorists, Commuters Suffer / Tanker Collapses On Nearby Vehicle On Enugu-Onitsha Expressway / Young Shall Grow Bus Rams Into Fuel Tanker On Enugu-Onitsha Expressway (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by Nobody: 6:22am On May 26, 2016
MOTORISTS and com­muters were stranded yesterday at Umunya, in Anambra State following total collapse of Odumo­du-Umunya Road portion of Awka-Onitsha Express­way.

Some vehicles were trapped in the gullies on the road after a heavy downpour which lasted three days.

The situation made motorists traveling from Enugu, Awka, Delta, Be­nin to Lagos and Onitsha to Enugu and other states to make U-turn and divert to Awka-Nkpor-Onitsha old road as an alternative route to their destina­tions.

The Enugu-Onitsha Expressway has been a deathtrap and in deplor­able condition over the years.

The Enugu axis of the expressway has since been abandoned by com­muters and motorists, who resorted to Enugu- Ude-Orji River Old Road, which is already also on the verge of collapse.

A commercial driver who spoke to Daily Sun, Mr. Okey Nnenanya la­mented the hardship the deplorable road had caused them over the years, saying it has be­come worse due to com­plete collapse of the road.

He appealed to the Federal Government to rehabilitate the road for motorists and other road users.

A commuter, Mrs. Ada Agbala said she was travel­ing to Lagos from Enugu and was trapped at the

portion where the road was cut-off.

“This road is very bad; I don’t know whether our leaders do not pass through this road. Look at my cloth; I am traveling to Lagos but, look how I am. Everybody in the bus had to come down inside this mud and cross over to the other side of the road. It is terrible. If the Federal Government has rejected us, the state government should do the road for the benefit of travellers,” she lamented.

http://sunnewsonline.com/commuters-motorists-stranded-as-awka-onitsha-expressway-collapses/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by klassykute(m): 6:25am On May 26, 2016
ewo

1 Like

Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by OKKO(m): 6:30am On May 26, 2016
That road is the symbolism of the state of the nation.
After one year we have successful passed a budget...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by Dreal11247: 6:38am On May 26, 2016
Oh God send us a Messiah in this nation.

1 Like

Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by bqlekan(m): 6:39am On May 26, 2016
I could remember my experience traveling on that road.. The Subconscious dance wasn't nice at all.. Made me think the car doesn't have an absorber. I don't know why they call that road an express road

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by Horlufemi(m): 6:40am On May 26, 2016
Who do I blame?
a. Jonathan b. Buhari
somebody give me expo

1 Like

Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by Abagworo(m): 6:42am On May 26, 2016
OKKO:
That road is the symbolism of the state of the nation.

After one year we have successful passed a budget...

My prayer is that Buhari should focus on States that were truthful about their plight. Some people lied that all their roads and 2nd Niger bridge was constructed by last regime and should manage their lies till 2019.

57 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by SonofDevil: 6:43am On May 26, 2016
So IPODs hero GEJ couldn't repair a road for them in six years..
Greatest scam of the century.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by asha90: 6:44am On May 26, 2016
There are worse federal and state roads all over Imo state why not call on Buhari to fix it first before clowning about? Maybe I will start uploading pictures to reset your brain to normal settings!

[s]
Abagworo:

My prayer is that Buhari should focus on States that were truthful about their plight. Some people lied that all their roads and 2nd Niger bridge was constructed by last regime and should manage their lies till 2019.
[/s]

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by Nobody: 6:44am On May 26, 2016
Buhari why? #MegrimorDonComeBuhari why? #MegrimorDonComeBuhari why? #MegrimorDonCome
Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by greatiyk4u(m): 6:53am On May 26, 2016
That Road was awarded to 2 companies since year 2009, and since then no meaningful job has been done there.....

This same Enugu-Onitsha express way
2nd Niger bridge
Enugu international airport
9th Mile markurdi road
Enugu ph road
Enugu Abakiliki roads

Were abandoned by GEJ...(Self christened "EBELLE, AZIKIWE) and all the highly placed Igbos in his cabinet, is this not enough reason for any right thinking Igboman/woman to be unhappy with GEJ yet you have the guts to call him HERO, unless u actually mean "HERO OF CORRUPTION"? For real they ran Government of stomach infrastructure

Many uninformed fellows here will still blame Buhari for the bad state of this road when money has been repeatedly allocated to this road since 2009 without any changes, if Buhari probes them now, my people, who are th real victims of this circumstance will shout "witch-hunt"

Witch gbukwa onwe gi there..........

89 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by modath(f): 7:04am On May 26, 2016
asha90:
There are worse federal and state roads all over Imo state why not call on Buhari to fix it first before clowning about? Maybe I will start uploading pictures to reset your brain to normal settings!

The article isn't about Imo, it's about Anambra.

Deflecting attention and swinging into attack dog mode is exactly why the past government left so many things hanging for his core loyalists cos it was a given that anything goes....and trying to derail the thread isn't going to fix the road either...

BTW, apart from appointing SE folks into positions, in what way did Hero positively affect the live of the average man/woman/child on the streets of Awka, Aba, Enugu or Nsukka?

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by asha90: 7:08am On May 26, 2016
That is the same reason we want the new government to hit the ground running and start fixing at least the people that voted it. Until then we shall take them as unserious lots. Now this is a federal road let the government start fixing it than trading blames.

modath:

The article isn't about Imo, it's about Anambra

Deflecting attention and swinging into attack dog mode is exactly why the past government left so many things hanging for his core loyalists cos it was a given that anything goes....and trying to derail the thread isn't going to fix the road either...

BTW, apart from appointing SE folks into positions, in what way did Jona positively affect the lives of the average man of the streets of Awka, Aba, Enugu or Nsukka?

4 Likes

Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by superstar1(m): 7:08am On May 26, 2016
greatiyk4u:
That Road was awarded to 2 companies since year 2009, and since then no meaningful job has been done there.....

2nd Niger bridge
9th Mile markurdi road
Enugu ph road
Enugu Abakiliki roads

Were abandoned by GEJ...(Self christened "EBELLE, AZIKIWE) and all the highly placed Igbos in his cabinet, is this not enough reason for any right thinking Igboman/woman to be unhappy with GEJ yet you have the guts to call him HERO, unless u actually mean "HERO OF CORRUPTION"? For real they ran Government of stomach infrastructure

Many uninformed fellows here will still blame Buhari for the bad state of this road when money has been repeatedly allocated to this road since 2009 without any changes, if Buhari probes them now, my people, who are th real victims of this circumstance will shout "witch-hunt"

Thank you for telling them the bitter truth.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by OAUTemitayo: 7:21am On May 26, 2016
asha90:
That is the same reason we want the new government to hit the ground running and start fixing at least the people that voted it. Until then we shall take them as unserious lots..

A government you keep praying for its failure every day. Since you people are happy that the NDA are blowing up all the pipelines and oil platforms, just contribute money among yourselves and repair the road.
You didn't vote for change, you didn't want the government to change for the better, why expect your life and roads to be better?

46 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by asha90: 7:25am On May 26, 2016
Let the same government fix this first..LOL

We still have alternative routes here in Anambra and Enugu states.

https://www.nairaland.com/3127767/bad-state-road-after-heavy

OAUTemitayo:
A government you keep praying for its failure every day. Since you people are happy that the NDA are blowing up all the pipelines and oil platforms, just contribute money among yourselves and repair the road.
You didn't vote for change, you didn't want the government to change for the better, why expect your life and roads to be better?

2 Likes

Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by OAUTemitayo: 7:31am On May 26, 2016
asha90:
Let the same government fix this first..LOL
We still have alternative routes here in Anambra and Enugu states.

Continue using your alternative roads jare.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by asha90: 7:31am On May 26, 2016
OAUTemitayo:

Continue using your alternative roads jare.

We will continue until they fix the roads below..LOL

Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by OAUTemitayo: 7:48am On May 26, 2016
asha90:

We will continue until they fix the roads below..LOL

At least the inhabitants of this area never lied that GEJ constructed a Niger bridge for them in the moon

17 Likes

Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by Ucheosefoh(m): 7:53am On May 26, 2016
They should use the Onitsha AWKA state road instead that one is in good shape

1 Like

Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by Nobody: 7:57am On May 26, 2016
Horlufemi:
Who do I blame?

a. Jonathan
b. Buhari

somebody give me expo
Dont blame Jonathan cos he was just a scammer whom you fell for his tricks.

Don't blame Buhari cos you hate him so much that if he decides to construct the road, you all will prevent him by raining curses on him to fail, all because of Jonathan.

Blame your myopic self instead.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by Horlufemi(m): 8:09am On May 26, 2016
bloodyBLOGGER:
Dont blame Jonathan cos he was just a scammer whom you fell for his tricks.

Don't blame Buhari cos you hate him so much that if he decides to construct the road, you all will prevent him by raining curses on him to fail, all because of Jonathan.

Blame your myopic self instead.

I blame Jonathan he should have built/rehabilitated the road before it got to that state.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by tbaba1234: 8:53am On May 26, 2016
This is a federal road, yet our brothers keep praising GEJ.. It is covered in the 2016 budget.

10 Likes

Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by YorubaHighness: 8:54am On May 26, 2016
Hmmmm
Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by Flexherbal(m): 8:55am On May 26, 2016
Bad market!

1 Like

Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by Nobody: 8:56am On May 26, 2016
greatiyk4u:

2nd Niger bridge
9th Mile markurdi road
Enugu ph road
Enugu Abakiliki roads

grin

Your comment made me laugh

But really, it is not just Igbos....it is NIGERIANS as a whole.

Check out many abandoned projects across the country.....including in areas where the son or daughter of the soil was in high office....and they usually end up as a conduit for said child of the soil to loot....and yet...when the chap is prosecuted....people will cry...Witch hunt.

In Northern Nigeria, some two years after his death....Abacha stickers were to be seen on cars and buses....even today. The same Abacha that looted 4bn USD from Nigeria...which includes those people saying...He is the greatest.

That is the problem with Nigeria. We are our own worst enemy. Prosecute someone who is from our tribe...for corruption....with the added benefit...that if such prosecution is successful....we would actually have space for non-corrupt leaders.....yet we will cry witchhunt.

Like those Niger Delta Avengers. Pipeline they know how to blow up.....but common agitation for better schools, clean government, etc....dem no know. Abi if una get resource control....na the same corrupt leaders wey you dey hail go come chop everything go by tomorrow.!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by Nobody: 8:56am On May 26, 2016
Peter Gregory Obi sef
Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by Young03(m): 8:58am On May 26, 2016
wet in obiano cum de build snx
Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by YourNemesis: 8:59am On May 26, 2016
Where are the Pinshures?

News without pinshure can never be engaging..... people can't even see what you are talking about.

1 Like

Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by OlujobaSamuel: 8:59am On May 26, 2016
omo see gobe
Re: Awka-Onitsha Expressway Collapses, Commuters, Motorists Stranded by oloworulz(m): 9:00am On May 26, 2016
blame Jonathan, the oogogoro master. foolish ipob still supports Jonathan in the election. una never see anything

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

US Threatens To Bar Nigerian Airlines / Trailer Falls On A Car In Kubwa, Abuja (Photos) / Types Of People You Meet In A Transit Bus(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.